• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Sony expects to sell 56% more PS5s this year, and claims ‘demand is higher than that’

The company announced on Tuesday it had shipped 11.5 million PS5 consoles during the FY21 financial year ended March 2022, missing out on its initial target of 14.8 million consoles by over 3 million units, which it said was due to parts shortages.

However, the company said it expects to sell significantly more PS5 consoles during its current fiscal year ending March 2023, at around 18 million units, and that it felt “very comfortable” it could achieve the target.
Commenting further during Sony’s financial webcast on Tuesday, CFO Hikori Totoki suggested that the company was being conservative with its projected hardware sales numbers, because this is what it felt it could “safely” produce within current conditions.

“18 million units is what we feel very comfortable we can get the parts and components for [during FY22],” Totoki said during the webcast (transcribed by VGC). “We feel that there is a little bit higher demand than that, so if the question is if we can meet the demand, I think we’re still short somewhat.”
VGC

Sounds like a much better year for PS5...or at least the worst is behind them, even if they won't meet demand. It also seems like they could even produce more but don't want to make the same mistake as they did last year and predict a much bigger number they ended up getting.

April and early May has already seen better supply.

In average, this next year will have 4.5M consoles per quarter...the last quarter got 2M.

sircaw

Banned
Demand for this console is going to be ridiculous for the next few years, it's a real shame they cant get more consoles out there to the people that need them.

I don't know what it has been like in previous generations, but has there ever been a shortage like this?>

Cornbread78

Chip shortage & COVID have really fucked it all up for the gaming industry. Hopegully things get back on track by next year as most analyst's predict...

sircaw

Banned
I can only imagine where ps5 would be at with no shortage.
Animated GIF

SilentUser

Good to know, PS5 is a fantastic plataform. Now, announce new games, Sony! No need to hold it back since you are going to produce a lot more of consoles 🤣 (please, I need new games to get hyped haha)

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
What was the "pathetic decisions" that Jim did that could've prevented the shortage that's affecting entire industries and not just videogames?

1.- try to Close the PS Store on PS3, PSP and PS Vita.

2.- Meaningless censorship, but leave violent games like The last of us 2 intact.

3.- Close Studios with quality games, buying mediocre studios.

4.- Put in any place, Multiplayer in solo format in order to get money.

5.- Do not give importance to the Japanese sector.

6.- Reduce the number of games granted in PS-Plus

7.- Implement "Complete" games being that they are hidden Demos with Play to win implementation.

8.- Not having communication with the fan sector fans.

9.- Make ps5, a machine to shamelessly take advantage of the buyer, instead of being a friendly video game console.

Borowski_1

Sony's way of showing off things and communicating is exhausting

It's always a slow burn since Jim Ryan took over

It’s almost like they want to frustrate people with their decisions

Allandor

could be around 25-30 mil by now without shortage ; (
I guess so. Without the shortage they might have even increased production capacities but it was just not possible.

Less consoles also means, that it needs even longer before next-gen only titles will appear in bigger numbers and also some/many projects that were planned to be next-gen only will still be cross-gen titles because else they just can't sell enough copies. Normally less than 10% buy a specific good game. Everything that doesn't reach that "good" sells even less.

I hope so, but from all estimates chip shortages are expected to last to 2023-2024.

-By chip shortages, I mean there is no immediate fab time available for customers (All booked up till 2023-2024). < Unless a customer gives up their time slot/fab time.
-Xbox is looking good right now. But, it's simple. They can fit twice as many XSS SOCs on a wafer than XSX or PS5.
-Being able to cram twice as many SOCs on a wafer is the reason I always see an XSS on the store shelf and never an XSX or PS5.

So, unless Sony bought out some one else's fab time, or dropped some fat stacks on TSMC, perhaps this is the 6nm revision? Maybe the slim/revision is coming this year?

So, unless Sony bought out some one else's fab time, or dropped some fat stacks on TSMC, perhaps this is the 6nm revision? Maybe the slim/revision is coming this year?

Wouldn't a revision just worsen the problem? As customers move to newer nodes more current wafers become available.

Wouldn't a revision just worsen the problem? As customers move to newer nodes more current wafers become available.

At the time the rumors started about 6nm, fab booking for that process was wide open, as most are wanting to go to 5nm, 3nm, etc. As there isn't really that big of a benefit going from 7nm > 6nm, that money could be better spent on making a smaller move (5nm, 3nm, etc).

schaft0620

Can someone clarify if they plan on selling 56% more consoles this FY over last FY or is it 56% more consoles than they have all together?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So glad they are managing to improve production this year!

7 million more than last years dismal numbers is a big deal. Hopefully a lot more people who are after a ps5 will get one this year.

Let's get some bad boy games out now Sony! Let's push this box.

Zeroing

Banned
Demand for this console is going to be ridiculous for the next few years, it's a real shame they cant get more consoles out there to the people that need them.

I don't know what it has been like in previous generations, but has there ever been a shortage like this?>
Even the Wii wasn’t this bad.

I miss the gifs of groups of people fighting to get a PlayStation. Or that video of the 2 Japanese guys playing PS4 for the first time and his dad coming in to destroy the console.

Good times!

ParaSeoul

These generation definitions are so arbitrary and I doubt Nintendo or their share holders care about them lol, it's the current Nintendo device in the market that's on retail.
They have their own little niche yeah but technically they're still last gen,considering the other two only came out in 2020.

cormack12

Gold Member
I got an email from shopto at 11am yesterday saying more were in stock. They flew though within like minutes. This shortage sucks for everyone.

leo-j

I actually hope they hit 20 million. It appears their original motive to catching up to ps4 LTD numbers won’t be happening for this fiscal year. Hard to do when you can’t produce the consoles.

The_hunter

The wii was hard to find, but I can't remember for how long.

Top Bottom