• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] New Mario Kart 8 track DLC (priced at $25) appears to be taken from mobile f2p Mario Kart Tour

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Lol, said this earlier, 6 months and 2 people to make, probably all 48 tracks fully complete already. Classic Nintendo greed move to hold them back over 2 years. Even worse now that they are worse than switch graphics. Look foreward to the day competition actually comes to mobile gaming to keep them honest.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Lol, said this earlier, 6 months and 2 people to make, probably all 48 tracks fully complete already. Classic Nintendo greed move to hold them back over 2 years. Even worse now that they are worse than switch graphics. Look foreward to the day competition actually comes to mobile gaming to keep them honest.
When we have nothing to complain let's complain about any shit reason

THE DUCK

How is 48 tracks for 24.99 badly? Lol gtfo with that BS.

I have no issue with $25 for 48 proper tracks. It's the bs spoon feeding of them over 2 years in a weak attempt to get get more subscribers for the rip off expansion pass. Add to that poor ports adds insult to injury. Sounds like you'd be happy if they charged $99 and drip fed to you n64 graphics over 8 years, it just wouldn't matter to you since it says Nintendo on it.

ManaByte

Or conversely, when we drink the Nintendo Kool aide, apparently it makes us blind and willing to accept being treated badly. 🙄
No Way Reaction GIF

Ezquimacore

Banned
I have no issue with $25 for 48 proper tracks. It's the bs spoon feeding of them over 2 years in a weak attempt to get get more subscribers for the rip off expansion pass. Add to that poor ports adds insult to injury. Sounds like you'd be happy if they charged $99 and drip fed to you n64 graphics over 8 years, it just wouldn't matter to you since it says Nintendo on it.
I don't even own Mario Kart so your "you're a fanboy" rhetoric is just another way to spit your nonsense argument. Everyone would love the 48 tracks from day 1 but that's not the case, doesn't change the fact that the dlc is a fair amount of content for a fair amount of money.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wow, that's quite the lazy cash grab. Those tracks are just not of the same quality as the actual MK8 tracks. Do not want.

Banned
people on here act like Nintendo just copy/pastes these tracks over... while we clearly have seen them completely remaking every single asset for these tracks and often even altering the layout to include the features of MK8 on the old tracks.

bender

What time is it?
people on here act like Nintendo just copy/pastes these tracks over... while we clearly have seen them completely remaking every single asset for these tracks and often even altering the layout to include the features of MK8 on the old tracks.

2 DEVELOPERS. 6 MONTHS. Now give me your glue bottle, I'm hungry.

Scotty W

I don't even own Mario Kart so your "you're a fanboy" rhetoric is just another way to spit your nonsense argument. Everyone would love the 48 tracks from day 1 but that's not the case, doesn't change the fact that the dlc is a fair amount of content for a fair amount of money.
Didn’t the Switch version launch with several dlc packs on day 1?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Going by the first shot they look completely remade with all new high quality assets, if they even retain the same overall layout (the shot could be a different part of the track since it's so different but it could also be the same layout with more decorations). Hardly a crime to use their own themes.
BuT DiD YoU KnOw gRaN TuRiSmO 7 HaS AlL ThE TrAcKs fRoM GTS WiTh mUcH ThE SaMe aSsEtS?! AnD ThAt fOrZa hOrIzOn 5 hAs cArS FrOm fOrZa mOtOrSpOrT?!

Last edited:

DavJay

Nintendo is a profit margin master for a reason. Less work, more money. Not to mention they are the only company profiting off each hardware sold. After Skyward Sword being $60 this doesn’t surprise me.

THE DUCK

So if another person isn't happy with the timetable it's a nonsense areguement?
I'd suggest that I'm on a better position to say so since I at least own the game, you have zero stake in it, why not be happy and have another glass, goes down smooth when you have nothing to wait for.

RCU005

I don't care they are reusing Tour's tracks because many people haven't played it. I have the game, but hate to play on a mobile phone.

What it would be bad is if they don't reach the level of quality of Mario Kart 8 deluxe tracks. Hopefully they don't do a lazy remaster and they do adapt them for Mario Kart 8 gimmick like anti-gravity and whatnot where it applies.

Even if every single Mario Kart Tour track came as part of this DLC it would still be a great deal without them. 25 Mario Kart Tour tracks (and really less if you don't include the variants as separate tracks). That would still be 23 tracks for $25. And I highly highly doubt they'll have every single Mario Kart tour track and variant included anyways

CS Lurker

I just realized that many tracks are from Mario Kart Tour with veeery small changes. Choco mountain (n64) and toad circuit (MK7) are both coming directly from Tour. It seems Sky Garden (GBA) is also coming to Tour. Most of these tracks (if not all of them) are not going to have the same quality as the tracks released with the wii u DLC (which is a shame).

blacktout

I have the Wii U version. My understanding is that the Switch has a few dlc packs that had to be purchased separately. I6 more tracks, I think?

Nope. This is the first paid DLC for the Switch version of the game. As the previous poster said, it's the Wii U game with all of the DLC included and a new battle mode.

Mozza

Spreading of misinformation has already started....
Information based on a pretty poor stream on the live direct, I always go to the official Nintendo site and watch the trailer in better quality, these tracks look fine to me, and I always wanted to play the Mario Kart Tour tracks on a proper joypad, plus you would think from the way some are complaining Nintendo had just ripped the assets from the SNES, the mobile game looks fine and is on pretty decent tech, well at least that's what some keep telling me when they state the Switch is not a powerful as a current generation mobile phone. ;)

They are pretty decent on the mobile game anyway, but do look to have been improved on the Switch anyway, but I will wait until I see them for myself, I have the Switch online expansion so they are included anyways.

Looks fine in that video. I mean, I get they don't look as good as some of the awesome new tracks, but looks pretty consistent with most HD retro tracks. Perhaps it will vary a little bit depending what the original platform was for each retro track. I guess just have to see it when I play it.

Last edited:

Mozza

Looks fine in that video. I mean, I get they don't look as good as some of the awesome new tracks, but looks pretty consistent with most HD retro tracks. Perhaps it will vary a little bit depending what the original platform was for each retro track. I guess just have to see it when I play it.
Same here, pretty sure they will be an awesome addition to an already great game, seriously some of the people on here, moan about Nintendo not adding DLC to deluxe, then get 48 tracks and still complain. ;)

Mozza

There are loads of portable steam deck type mobile P.C's out there, is this not competition enough.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

There are loads of portable steam deck type mobile P.C's out there, is this not competition enough.

The ones that even come close power wise are a reasonable $1300. They also have almost zero marketing presence, no proper front end for a console like experience, and barely any units built. They are nothing more than a compact PC with a screen.
Nintendo currently has zero competition on the market. When steam deck releases, it won't matter either, since valve isn't building enough for Nintendo to care. Nor does it carry a $299 price point, not that it matters at this point.
The only thing that would make them take notice and change anything would be MS or Sony, or Apple if they had enough software support.

Last edited:

Mozza

The ones that even come close power wise are a reasonable $1300. They also have almost zero marketing presence, no proper front end for a console like experience, and barely any units built. They are nothing more than a compact PC with a screen.
Nintendo currently has zero competition on the market. When steam deck releases, it won't matter either, since valve isn't building enough for Nintendo to care. Nor does it carry a $299 price point, not that it matters at this point.
The only thing that would make them take notice and change anything would be MS or Sony, or Apple if they had enough software support.
Doubt that will happen unless Sony release another top selling handheld like the Vita.

THE DUCK

Doubt that will happen unless Sony release another top selling handheld like the Vita.

They seem a little scared since the vita didn't do as well as hoped, but a lot of that was on them, not enough software, expensive memory, etc. Today would be different, architecture is so similar ports would be very easy.
Too bad MS didn't make the S a hybrid handheld. (I know it would have been more like 2TF instead of 4TF)

Mozza

It's happening this guy on YouTube has basically confirmed a new handheld from Sony, and all his 33,000 subscribers are going to buy one. ;)

Last edited:

Mowcno

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo has done it in a way that the tracks are easily portable between Mario Kart Tour and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for this pack of tracks. 48 tracks is a lot so creating them and being able to use the same work in both MK8 and MKT is using resources smartly.

The DLC tracks definitely appear to be graphically poorer and simpler compared to the existing tracks in MK8 but hopefully in actual gameplay the difference will not be that noticeable.

Regardless the price is good and it'll be fun even if it doesn't look as nice.

Mozza

They seem a little scared since the vita didn't do as well as hoped, but a lot of that was on them, not enough software, expensive memory, etc. Today would be different, architecture is so similar ports would be very easy.
Too bad MS didn't make the S a hybrid handheld. (I know it would have been more like 2TF instead of 4TF)

Joking apart Sony are to focused on the PS5 to release another handheld, and Microsoft want everybody on a subscription based service etc, pretty much the Switch 2 before we get more power, fine with that as I have my Series X as well.

Not sure the sales would be all that different to the Vita, but guess we will never know.

Last edited:

Same ol G

Information based on a pretty poor stream on the live direct, I always go to the official Nintendo site and watch the trailer in better quality, these tracks look fine to me, and I always wanted to play the Mario Kart Tour tracks on a proper joypad, plus you would think from the way some are complaining Nintendo had just ripped the assets from the SNES, the mobile game looks fine and is on pretty decent tech, well at least that's what some keep telling me when they state the Switch is not a powerful as a current generation mobile phone. ;)
Same here, i rather follow the official channel getting my info straight from the horses mouth.
Also Nintendo's previous dlc offerings for MK8 are from the same quality as the base game, id rather give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Top Bottom