• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] New Mario Kart 8 track DLC (priced at $25) appears to be taken from mobile f2p Mario Kart Tour

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/mario-kart-8-deluxe-48-dlc-track-list/

According to the announcement, the courses will include remakes of classic tracks from across the Mario Kart series as well as the mobile game, Mario Kart Tour.

However, it appears that nearly all of the courses in the DLC’s first wave will be based on those designed for Mario Kart Tour.

The first wave of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course tracks set to be introduced on March 18 will consist of:

• Paris Promenade (Tour)
  • Toad Circuit (3DS)
  • Choco Mountain (N64)
  • Tokyo Blur (Tour)
  • Ninja Hideaway (Tour)
  • Sky Garden (GBA)
  • Coconut Mall (Wii)
  • Shroom Ridge (DS)
Of these eight tracks, all but one is featured (or due to be featured) in the free-to-play mobile game.

Three of the DLC first wave’s tracks are original Tour creations and the first two retro tracks – Choco Mountain N64 and Toad Circuit 3DS – appear to share virtually identical geometry and similar assets to the mobile game.

Another retro track, Sky Garden GBA, is set to be added to Tour as part of a new content drop starting on February 23, and its promotional image is very similar to that of the Mario Kart 8 DLC version.

skytour-1024x1144.jpg

Only the final track from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe’s first DLC wave, Shroom Ridge DS, has not featured in Tour and is not yet known to be coming to it. Although again, its geometry looks very evocative of the mobile title.

Finally, it’s been noted by fans that the track icons shown in the trailer for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe’s first DLC wave feature icons taken directly from Mario Kart Tour. Note how the Sky Garden icon also features a grey track like in the Tour tease above, and not the orange track shown in the 8 Deluxe screenshot:

Tour-deluxe-2-1024x897.jpg

Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/mario-kart-8-deluxe-48-dlc-track-list/

According to the announcement, the courses will include remakes of classic tracks from across the Mario Kart series as well as the mobile game, Mario Kart Tour.

However, it appears that nearly all of the courses in the DLC’s first wave will be based on those designed for Mario Kart Tour.

The first wave of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course tracks set to be introduced on March 18 will consist of:

• Paris Promenade (Tour)
  • Toad Circuit (3DS)
  • Choco Mountain (N64)
  • Tokyo Blur (Tour)
  • Ninja Hideaway (Tour)
  • Sky Garden (GBA)
  • Coconut Mall (Wii)
  • Shroom Ridge (DS)
Of these eight tracks, all but one is featured (or due to be featured) in the free-to-play mobile game.

Three of the DLC first wave’s tracks are original Tour creations and the first two retro tracks – Choco Mountain N64 and Toad Circuit 3DS – appear to share virtually identical geometry and similar assets to the mobile game.

Another retro track, Sky Garden GBA, is set to be added to Tour as part of a new content drop starting on February 23, and its promotional image is very similar to that of the Mario Kart 8 DLC version.

skytour-1024x1144.jpg

Only the final track from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe’s first DLC wave, Shroom Ridge DS, has not featured in Tour and is not yet known to be coming to it. Although again, its geometry looks very evocative of the mobile title.

Finally, it’s been noted by fans that the track icons shown in the trailer for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe’s first DLC wave feature icons taken directly from Mario Kart Tour. Note how the Sky Garden icon also features a grey track like in the Tour tease above, and not the orange track shown in the 8 Deluxe screenshot:

Tour-deluxe-2-1024x897.jpg
Thats nothing new, Nintendo doing an Nintendo move, i mean $25 for 8 tracks? And Nintendo fans defending Nintendo like always.
Come on...

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Why is this a bad thing? I never touched the mobile game so these tracks will be new to me. Announcement was upfront about the tracks being remastered.

It's not a bad thing.

Everything has to be a controversy now with different sides arguing. It's the way this society is. People can never just "accept" something. There *always* has to be crying, bitching and arguing over it.

It's tiring.

Last edited:

Holammer

That explains it, I thought the geometry and shader work looked a bit lackluster in the trailer, compared with the shine and polish on the regular tracks.

Reused tracks is kinda 50% of Mario Kart and fine for dlc where they are upfront on the content.

The only gripe would be if the graphics were below par compared to mk8 originals and if they did not have gameplay features of 8 (hover sections etc).

If it was on wii u I would buy. Not sure I would buy mk8 switch just to fork out again for these though (not an online nintendo subscriber).

Dr Bass

Are the visuals updated to match MK8's overall feel? If so, I think this is great news since I never even bothered with that mobile game. So we would get tracks not seen on console versions before but brought up to the MK8 standard. I'm excited for these tracks! Wish we were getting all 48 sooner, but thats ok I guess. That's a lot of content so might as well take time to digest it all ...

Banned
they literally showed that in the announcement trailer... is it slow news day or why is this thread worthy?

DonF

No rush to get this dlc. I'll wait until more are announced and more are out. I'll wait if it worth it.

If you preorder this and complain, it's your fault. Vote with your wallets, peeps

kingfey

Banned
Its normal. The game takes some inspiration from its mobile version. As long as its superior to that version, there is nothing wrong using those assets.

ManaByte

Edit: if this is some kind of thread to diss Nintendo or to criticize the tracks.... It's too late for that, fellas. The game already sold 50 million copies.

I think it's more about Nintendo just recycling the Mario Kart Tour stuff (which is really just Mario Kart 8 adapted for swipe controls with MTX) while presenting them as something brand new.

Top Bottom