• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] 343 Industries has delayed providing an update on its Halo Infinite seasonal, co-op and Forge plans, saying it needs more time

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
how big is this studio? I wonder why they work so slowly

Completed the battle pass weeks ago. Completed all the timed events they’ve put out. Reached Onyx in ranked mode. And the weekly challenges are pointless because: 1. I’ve completed the battle pass. 2. It’s a lot to grind for a stupid logo.

The live service aspect of this game is non-existent. There is no new content.

I love halo, infinites campaign was amazing. The gameplay loops themselves are the best halo has ever been, but it just seems like the complaints are falling on deaf ears. It took them how long to even acknowledge the desync/server issues?
Agree with these comments.

I can't understand why 343 are so slow to deliver. I've also stopped playing it because the same maps over and over have got stale. I don't like big team, never have, and that leaves me with what feels like 4 maps most of the time especially since they removed a map from the ranked playlist.

I don't know how long it takes to make a multiplayer map, but whatever 343's plans are, leaving the game as at launch while they get ready to announce when new content will release is hurting the game. I'd have thought adding more maps would be a priority, not apologising for not letting people know when new maps are due.

Last edited:

FireFly

Halo 2 singleplayer mode wasn't good and a massive set backwards from the 1st game and BUNGiE had themselves came out and said so and how huge parts of the game world that was developed, had to be scrapped and started again and the ending of the game, was the worst this side of Shenmue. It was saved by hype (some times a delay can build up ever more hype) looking really good and also its utterly amazing and awesome multiplayer mode, a little like Perfect Dark 64 IMO

Halo 2 singleplayer mode was like Halo 5 for me, I didn't like the focus on the story or switching characters and the gameplay felt like a step backwards from what happened before, but both had awesome multiplayer modes
That's just your opinion of Halo 2's single player, though. If you go to one of the "rank the Halo campaigns" thread you will find posts where it is on the top and posts where it is on the bottom. For example:

Plenty of people in those threads rank it as number 1. And for the game as a whole we have this poll where it is in 3rd place, with 56 votes, compared to 6 (!) votes for Halo 5.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/poll-best-halo-game.1558909/

Reviews at the time also praised the campaign. For example, IGN said:

"The end-result is that it's not only addicting, it's not only the most fun you'll have in single-player or multiplayer game on Xbox, the story is deep and smart, and it keeps you interested."

Eurogamer said:

"thank goodness Bungie hasn't really sacrificed the single player mode to make it into some sort of side show to the main event. It's very clear, having played through all 15 chapters (12 hours on Normal is probably a fair guess) that it's a much more consistent, more exciting game than the original with far less of the moody tedium that blighted the middle section of the original."

Gamespot were the most critical amongst the major news sites, due to the length of the campaign and the new story, but still their verdict is:

"To say that there's a lot to like about Halo 2 would be an understatement. Despite a rather short campaign and a disappointing storyline, Halo 2 is an exceptional shooter that frequently delivers thrilling, memorable, and unique moments in its online, co-op, and single-player modes."

Clearly Halo 2 didn't live up the the expectations set by Bungie, and was the product of a horrendous development crunch in which half the levels and the ending had to be chopped off. But that doesn't in itself make the campaign bad, and I don't see any evidence that it was received that way by the fan base. I mean according to Schreier, 2/3 of Infinite's campaign was cut, and you can really feel the lack of variety that comes with only having a single biome. Arguably Halo 5 has both a more comprehensive story and a greater variety of environments, and overall it feels far more like a finished product than Infinite. Yet Infinite is being better received. I think that shows it is the "soul" of a game that counts. Halo 2's soul lived on through Halo 3. Halo 5's soul got thrown in a dumpster and then was shot from orbit with a MAC gun.

That's just your opinion of Halo 2's single player, though. If you go to one of the "rank the Halo campaigns" thread you will find posts where it is on the top and posts where it is on the bottom. For example:

The need to go on reviews. IGN are a joke for starters and it's not just my view BTW. BUNGiE said themselves Halo 2 was not what it could have been and it was in development hell;
It didn't matter mind the hype worked and it sold millions and the multiplayer was brilliant. IMO Halo 2 single player mode was just as bad as Halo 5. The main difference was the hype, the wait and the fact that Halo 2 looked really good too. I can't help but feel that going to 60 FPS was a mistake for Halo 5 in single player mode and they should have stuck at 30 fps and gone all out for graphics

In the end mind, it worked out for the best. Halo Infinite is the best Halo game I have played in single player. The only issues I had was the lack of snow levels or no major wildlife running around or sea section shown off in the very 1st trailer

FireFly

The need to go on reviews. IGN are a joke for starters and it's not just my view BTW. BUNGiE said themselves Halo 2 was not what it could have been and it was in development hell;
It didn't matter mind the hype worked and it sold millions and the multiplayer was brilliant. IMO Halo 2 single player mode was just as bad as Halo 5. The main difference was the hype, the wait and the fact that Halo 2 looked really good too. I can't help but feel that going to 60 FPS was a mistake for Halo 5 in single player mode and they should have stuck at 30 fps and gone all out for graphics

In the end mind, it worked out for the best. Halo Infinite is the best Halo game I have played in single player. The only issues I had was the lack of snow levels or no major wildlife running around or sea section shown off in the very 1st trailer
A game can be the product of development hell or not live up to expectations, without being bad. That's my point. I personally was massively disappointed by Halo 2's campaign, from the lack of open areas to the graphical downgrade and the poor first level.

But I can be objective about it and see that *my* perception at the time of release is not how the game was perceived by the fanbase as a whole. Just look at those GAF threads and the number of people ranking the campaign as their favourite. Again I am not saying that you were the only one to dislike the campaign, or be disappointed by it. Just that I don't see any evidence that the community as a whole views it as a bad campaign.

I remember at launch being surprised at the lack of any kind of negative backlash, but since then I have replayed it and can see that elements like Arbiter storyline, the dual wielding, the more on rails vehicular set pieces, do actually work. Amongst the roughness there are plenty of great elements. And if you think about it, that's kind of like the original, which also had a difficult development process in which a lot of things were cut or changed at the last minute.

Did you know that they increased the damage of the Halo CE pistol so late in development that it had to be hacked into the game because the code was already locked?

Havoc2049

I'm one of those Halo fans that think Halo 2 is one of the better campaigns in the series. Loved it on launch day and still love to go back and play it to this day. Stuff being cut from games is nothing new. Almost all games have cuts, additions and reworks throughout development. Even the multiplayer in Halo 2 went through the same process as the Halo 2 campaign and the parts of it that didn't work well, due to bad design, time constraints or hardware constraints were cut out of the final product. Some of the cuts in the Halo 2 campaign seem like a good thing, because they sounded like bad ideas (those Jason Jones designed levels for example) or hardware limitations. You also have to remember that the Xbox 360 was right around the corner as well and Halo 2 was already delayed once. Also, some of the cuts from Halo 2 ended up being the first level or two in Halo 3. So in the end, we didn't lose much.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
All this analysis about how Halo has aged too much, and regular COD over here with killer numbers.

Look, it just needs a better battle pass, more maps, more modes. People aren't mad, they're hungry. And they WILL be back.

Pretty much this.

It wasn’t that long ago that the internet was dragging Respawn for slow content drops. They did that until Respawn had to release press statements saying they’d never crunch.

Now? theres tons of content. And nobody’s complaining anymore.

Shmunter

Agree with these comments.

I can't understand why 343 are so slow to deliver. I've also stopped playing it because the same maps over and over have got stale. I don't like big team, never have, and that leaves me with what feels like 4 maps most of the time especially since they removed a map from the ranked playlist.

I don't know how long it takes to make a multiplayer map, but whatever 343's plans are, leaving the game as at launch while they get ready to announce when new content will release is hurting the game. I'd have thought adding more maps would be a priority, not apologising for not letting people know when new maps are due.
perhaps “Infinite“ has its own intended subtext

Banned
positive news! Halo Infinite loses players on Steam faster than Halo MCC did back when it only was Halo Reach and nothing else :) and was also a paid game of course

yes this is positive news because Infinite deserves worse to be honest. how else will they ever fucking change?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Around 500. Skybox Labs is working on the Forge and Certain Affinity on a new PvPvE mode, apart from that the rest is all 343i. 343i handles almost everything Halo like the HCS e-sports, books, comics etc. Until 2018, they were adding new content to Halo 5, working with Creative Assembly on Halo Wars 2 and then its DLC and working on the Slipspace Engine. After 2018 they started updating and adding content to MCC and working on Halo Infinite. People may pull out numbers like 500 million out of their ass, but less people work on Halo Infinite then most other competing FPS games(except for Overwatch but that team has less to worry about). And they even worked on a open world campaign that is not meant to be serviceable multiplayer tie in and sold separately.

Ozriel

M$FT
positive news! Halo Infinite loses players on Steam faster than Halo MCC did back when it only was Halo Reach and nothing else :) and was also a paid game of course

yes this is positive news because Infinite deserves worse to be honest. how else will they ever fucking change?

The game still has a healthy playerbase, and the important thing was to hit that right gameplay loop. New content will bring back more players.

Slowly? The game released in December. You expected them to have Season 1 ready by now?

Bernkastel

I don't think they're quite the talent they were 2000-2010, but I also think Destiny was a very different type of project, and I think under sony they'll flourish with the type of funding and freedom that comes with.

So many people have said the purchase doesn't make sense or isn't a big deal because they only have the Destiny IP.

Look back at when Sony bought Naughty Dog in 2001. At the time they had no IP. Jak and Daxter would be released at the end of the year and even then, that's the only IP they had. It was only the 17th top selling PS2 title and its sequels performed even less. 6 years later they came out with Uncharted Drake's Fortune which outsold Jak and Daxter 1 and its sequels went on to outperform the original and eventually results in the last of us which outsold all the uncharted games.

So it's about vision and management.
This has nothing to do with the post I made and what I was replying to. Regarding your post, if they have "vision and management" why don't they make a new studio? Why need the brand of a studio that has transformed into something else multiple times? Just to say "From the creators of Halo"? Also, Bungie will still publish all its titles and manage itself, no "vision and management" just Pete Parsons asking devs to start over because he didn't like something.

Banned
The game still has a healthy playerbase, and the important thing was to hit that right gameplay loop. New content will bring back more players.

the "gameplay loop" is also shit, completely ruined by their shitty challenge system that has a negative impact on matches. the ranked mode is also completely busted.

the whole game is a shitshow, I wanted to like it, I tried staying with it, but this is by far the fastest I ever stopped playing a Halo title... and that in a world where H̛͇̟̼̞͚̐̈́͘a̖͂͢͞l̼̗̮̔͐̄͠ͅỏ̬͓̠̮̂̿̃̋͗͜ͅ ̨̞̖͇̮̥͌͂̅͗́̂̅͟4̟̿ exists.

the game is a joke, and I realistically it just deserves the same fate as Battlefield 2042, it might not be as buggy as that game, but it is just as void of good design and features, and in some ways even less complete.
like, how dogshit does your netcode have to be that 2 people can assassinate each other simultaneously? it's barely an alpha version of a game

edit:

and this isn't even the incidence that I saw a few days ago on reddit, I just googled simultaneous backsmack in the hopes to find it xD

edit2: lol just scrolling through Reddit... and saw this
bxymysof61j81.jpg

bf9aor9u61j81.jpg

my man literally got backslapped, while killing the guy (that backslapped him) with a fucking sword xD

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with the post I made and what I was replying to. Regarding your post, if they have "vision and management" why don't they make a new studio? Why need the brand of a studio that has transformed into something else multiple times? Just to say "From the creators of Halo"? Also, Bungie will still publish all its titles and manage itself, no "vision and management" just Pete Parsons asking devs to start over because he didn't like something.

Nothing to do with the post you made?

It literally addresses the fact that Bungie isn't the same studio it was while it was working on Halo, but also adds that they are still quite talented and successful, and by comparing the abilities on a GaaS compared to a campaign/multiplayer FPS is very much night or day.

Destiny is a far larger task than creating one or two Halo games.

As for why they don't make a new studio, is because that's a very slow process. Naughty Dog for example has been around for decades and isn't as large as Bungie. This hasn't nothing to do with Halo, but you also can't take that away from Bungie.

They'll publish their own games, but they'll also be funded by Sony Interactive Entertainment and they'll also collaborate with PlayStation Studios development teams. The resources that Bungie have at their disposal is far more now than they did as an independent studio. It fast-forwards their development as well as Sony's.

Bernkastel

Nothing to do with the post you made?

It literally addresses the fact that Bungie isn't the same studio
Again, what has that got to do with my post? If Bungie is not the same studio that just reinforces my counterpoint about them doing a new Halo game.
They should call Bungie to get help
They can't even help themselves, complaining how "making content is too hard" being almost double the size of 343i. The recent purchase did make out of loop people think there is a team of devs who can make a better Halo game composed of the original team and are working for another platform. Most people we associate with Halo don't even work in Bungie anymore.
it was while it was working on Halo, but also adds that they are still quite talented and successful, and by comparing the abilities on a GaaS compared to a campaign/multiplayer FPS is very much night or day.

Destiny is a far larger task than creating one or two Halo games.
There are many successful studios out there does not mean anyone can do a good job with a Halo game. Halo is not just some campaign/multiplayer. Most "campaign/multiplayer" either have a good single player with a serviceable multiplayer or a good multiplayer with a serviceable single player. Infact this is everything fans expect from a Halo game.
mbo0s6T.png

The Forge for Halo Infinite is supposed to have its own scripting tools like Garry's Mod. You think that is easier to make?
I have injected hundreds of hours into both Destiny 1 and Destiny 2. The PvP in Destiny(aka Crucible) is the worst aspect of the game. With Destiny 1 it was somewhat enjoyable, but with Destiny 2 Bungie has mostly abandoned the Crucible. Almost everyone on the internet(except for the newly converted recent stans) agree that Destiny's PvP is a heavy downgrade from Halo.

Again, what has that got to do with my post? If Bungie is not the same studio that just reinforces my counterpoint about them doing a new Halo game.

There are many successful studios out there does not mean anyone can do a good job with a Halo game. Halo is not just some campaign/multiplayer. Most "campaign/multiplayer" either have a good single player with a serviceable multiplayer or a good multiplayer with a serviceable single player. Infact this is everything fans expect from a Halo game.
Now I understand why you felt my response had nothing to do with your post. Your focus on Bungie being able to create halo with its original staff was not what I was responding to.

My point was that they might not be the exact same team, but they remain a talented team and that creating a GaaS game is a much larger undertaking than a single-player game like Halo. To judge their ability to make a simpler game based on Destiny, doesn't make sense.

I do think that they'd be able to make a non-GaaS Halo game that was better than recent Halo games both in campaign and multiplayer.

Bernkastel

Now I understand why you felt my response had nothing to do with your post. Your focus on Bungie being able to create halo with its original staff was not what I was responding to.

My point was that they might not be the exact same team, but they remain a talented team and that creating a GaaS game is a much larger undertaking than a single-player game like Halo. To judge their ability to make a simpler game based on Destiny, doesn't make sense.

I do think that they'd be able to make a non-GaaS Halo game that was better than recent Halo games both in campaign and multiplayer.
They can't even make a good PvP for Destiny 2, forget making one like Halo. Halo Infinite is closest to what we want from a modern Halo game even if it is unfinished. People who made single player games and arena style PvP multiplayer don't work in Bungie. Like I said making a Halo game is hard, you can't do that just because you made a successful multiplayer shooter. A team who is experienced in one thing can't just be better in another thing than a team who is specialized on that.
Spend some time playing Halo and Destiny, before thinking people who make Destiny can make a better Halo game.
P.S. In a smaller scale Moon Studios once pitched a Banjo game. Although that pitch was rejected, they could still do a better job than if Rare was asked to make one and thats ok. Modern Rare made Sea of Thieves and is now working on Everwild. Just because they are successful does not mean they can do a better job in a game they worked on in past. Hence Killer Instinct and now Perfect Dark are now made by different studios.

oldergamer

There has been zero proof of this. MS hides its numbers.
Zero proof other then spencer getting asked this very question and him answering? That's all we have, but I'm certain he wouldn't lie about it, considering he reports directly to the MS board.

"It's not the only thing that's growing in Xbox. It's not the only focus of the organization, and it, as a standalone thing, is very sustainable as it sits today, just like today. It's sustainable," Spencer said. "I know there are a lot of people that like to write, 'We're burning cash right now for some future pot of gold at the end.' No. Game Pass is very, very sustainable right now as it sits and continues to grow."

... it's almost like he was talking about people like yourself

Article Link

Last edited:

Romulus

The single-player for me was barely above Halo 4 and 5, which I didn't really like at all. Infinite's campaign ended up being well below CE, Reach, ODST, Halo 2 and 3.

How's the player count in MP? I'm sure that's at least strong.

Papacheeks

Banned
The single-player for me was barely above Halo 4 and 5, which I didn't really like at all. Infinite's campaign ended up being well below CE, Reach, ODST, Halo 2 and 3.

How's the player count in MP? I'm sure that's at least strong.

Not on PC. Xbox it's still in top 10 I believe.

Bernkastel

Ian Proulx and Nicholas Bagamian (Splitgate) - "Hold my beer."
Theres plenty of FPS games that have inspiration from Halo. Or do you think the Splitgate team will do better job at meeting all these standards?
mbo0s6T.png

Its easy to make a game that has taken some inspirations from Halo. I am talking about making a full fledged Halo game.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Theres plenty of FPS games that have inspiration from Halo. Or do you think the Splitgate team will do better job at meeting all these standards?
mbo0s6T.png

Its easy to make a game that has taken some inspirations from Halo. I am talking about making a full fledged Halo game.

No, I don't think the two guys who made Splitgate could do all that. What they did do is punch well above their weight on roughly half of the Halo experience (multiplayer).

Then I think 343 took the basic Halo formula, pasted it onto a pretty genetic open world, and it basically worked. It was fun.

So it's only "hard to make" as in all AAA is hard to make. I don't think 343 is particularly talented when compared to their AAA peers.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

No, I don't think the two guys who made Splitgate could do all that. What they did do is punch well above their weight on roughly half of the Halo experience (multiplayer).

Then I think 343 took the basic Halo formula, pasted it onto a pretty genetic open world, and it basically worked. It was fun.

So it's only "hard to make" as in all AAA is hard to make. I don't think 343 is particularly talented when it comes to their AAA peers.
Splitgate is not half the Halo experience. It is to people who think Halo is just a single player and multiplayer.
You act like Halo Infinite was built on top of another AAA game like Gears 4 -> Gears 5 or Doom(2016) -> Doom Eternal. Ofcourse I don't expect much from someone who think all FPS games control the same. I bet you think all Bungie era Halo games played exactly the same and so does Halo Infinite plus a grapple hook. All Halo games played very differently and Halo Infinite has elements from all of them(including Halo 5) and introduces its own gameplay elements. It does tone down certain gameplay elements from Halo 5(that has its own fans) that were not received well by everyone.
So it's only "hard to make" as in all AAA is hard to make. I don't think 343 is particularly talented when it comes to their AAA peers.
Again what AAA game has to meet all those standards that I mentioned? Definitely not any single player only or multiplayer only game or those where one of the aspects justs exists for the sake of existing. They have to make three different games at the same time. Now imagine a new Counter Strike, a new Half Life and a new Gary's Mod were made at the same time?

They can't even make a good PvP for Destiny 2, forget making one like Halo. Halo Infinite is closest to what we want from a modern Halo game even if it is unfinished. People who made single player games and arena style PvP multiplayer don't work in Bungie. Like I said making a Halo game is hard, you can't do that just because you made a successful multiplayer shooter. A team who is experienced in one thing can't just be better in another thing than a team who is specialized on that.
Spend some time playing Halo and Destiny, before thinking people who make Destiny can make a better Halo game.
P.S. In a smaller scale Moon Studios once pitched a Banjo game. Although that pitch was rejected, they could still do a better job than if Rare was asked to make one and thats ok. Modern Rare made Sea of Thieves and is now working on Everwild. Just because they are successful does not mean they can do a better job in a game they worked on in past. Hence Killer Instinct and now Perfect Dark are now made by different studios.

You key in on a handful of specific names and come to the conclusion that they've lost the talent to do it.

I've played both Halo and Destiny.

You're making a large assumption based on what they aren't focusing on right now.

Someone in this thread (can’t find it) said that halo 1 thru reach had far better campaigns - and that infinites campaign in only barely better than 4 and 5’s… I need to know how this is a conclusion one would come to. Do they mean story? Or the actual gameplay and encounters? I straight up don’t know how you would walk away thinking that, and I just recently played all the halos

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Again what AAA game has to meet all those standards that I mentioned? Definitely not any single player only or multiplayer only game or those where one of the aspects justs exists for the sake of existing. They have to make three different games at the same time. Now imagine a new Counter Strike, a new Half Life and a new Gary's Mod were made at the same time?

There's so many ways to respond...

1. Bungie met those standards in 2007 with 1/4 the employee count and 1/2 the dev time.

2. They shipped a multiplayer game that lost ~95 percent of it's players in 3 months and a 15 hour campaign that's gamings equivalent to a Five Guys burger. Pretty good.

3. No sales figures leaked. The r/Halo subreddit had to be locked...similar to the BF2042 subreddit. They messed up the Battle Pass. They're still mum on the roadmap. There's still no co-op.

the-homer-inline4.jpg

5. If biting off more than you can chew is a commendable leadership quality, you should check out a game called Star Citizen.

Bernkastel

You key in on a handful of specific names and come to the conclusion that they've lost the talent to do it.

I've played both Halo and Destiny.

You're making a large assumption based on what they aren't focusing on right now.
And you think any FPS studio can make a single player game and arena style multiplayer. Almost the entirety of Bungie workforce has been replaced to work in Destiny not some "handful of specific names". If you play both Halo and Destiny how come you come to the conclusion that Destiny 2's PvP shows they can make a better a better arena style multiplayer for Halo? Its essentially the same situation as Rare where they transformed to tackle a different kind of project. Just because they are successful does not mean they can tackle their older IPs. There are entirely different kind of people working in Bungie who have never worked in any Halo game, neither will anyone join Bungie if they want to make Halo or any similar project.
Same reason EA had to buy Codemasters to help with Need For Speed. People who made games like Most Wanted are gone. Bungie has not made a Halo game in over a decade and people who made games like that moved on to other studios. You would need to have people who would want to work on Halo.
1. Bungie met those standards in 2007 with 1/4 the employee count and 1/2 the dev time.
And they crunched hard to get to that point. Halo 3 was based off Halo 2, it is the Halo title which is least different from its predecessor . Halo 2 introduced online matchmaking and Halo 3 perfected that. You could say that all their efforts in the Halo franchise since 1997 culminated in Halo 3. Halo 3's single player was just the final act of Halo 2 stretched into a full game. Originally Halo 2 was supposed to end the covenant story instead of Halo 3.
But you thought it was like any other AAA game? During the final 10 months of Halo CE devs were sleeping in the office for months, 5 months before release the multiplayer was scrapped and redone from scratch and the game was not working until 5 weeks from release. The game was supposed to be open world with RPG elements with day and night cycle and had 25 missions(the final had just 10). And the Halo 2 crunch was even worse than that. Many of the devs who worked on Halo 2 would later recount the story of how no one should go through the Halo 2 crunch. And its not Cyberpunk or Anthem level crunch, it was basically the worst crunch in AAA video game development. After this Jason Jones bailed out from making video games(but he did return in the final year of Destiny's development and bailed out again) and Joe Staten left Bungie to help Halo Chronicles which was eventually cancelled (but the script was used by Neill Blomkamp for District 9 including assets from that cancelled Halo movie) and Ensemble with Halo Wars and the cancelled Halo MMO. Halo 3 was lead by Max Hoberman(who is the father of Halo's multiplayer) until he left in 2006 with some other ex-Bungie employees to create Certain Affinity. Marty O'Donell when saw the story draft said "there are no stakes and surprises, this story needs death, lots of them"(inspired by the 2005 film Serenity) and asked for Miranada Keys and Sergeant Johnson(I disagree, these were not needed) to be killed off. So far the least crunch is the one that has least original stuff, only perfected the multiplayer and the single player was the scrapped final act of Halo 2 stretched to a full game. Halo Reach did introduce new gameplay changes but most of them were not well received and almost divide the community but the campaign was fantastic led by Joseph Staten himself.
Pretty much every Halo game since the first one went through some form of development hell. No wonder Bungie wanted to move on from Halo.
2. They shipped a multiplayer game that lost ~95 percent of it's players in 3 months and a 15 hour campaign that's gamings equivalent to a Five Guys burger. Pretty good.
Only based off Steam? Halo Infinite is the first game since Reach that has more player count than the latest COD in Xbox Store. They don't have any co-op and forge, and still managed this much.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Zero proof other then spencer getting asked this very question and him answering? That's all we have, but I'm certain he wouldn't lie about it, considering he reports directly to the MS board.

"It's not the only thing that's growing in Xbox. It's not the only focus of the organization, and it, as a standalone thing, is very sustainable as it sits today, just like today. It's sustainable," Spencer said. "I know there are a lot of people that like to write, 'We're burning cash right now for some future pot of gold at the end.' No. Game Pass is very, very sustainable right now as it sits and continues to grow."

... it's almost like he was talking about people like yourself

Article Link
As discussed over and over. It’s a loss leader. Sustainable is not profitable. If it were profitable they would say so. Greenberg would say so instead of saying it’s not. Tom Warren would report it. Every gaming site on Earth would also report it. MS would not hide this news.

Sustainable means losing money but we can support it with other funds. Obviously if something is profitable it does not need to be “sustained.” This is basic English.

Last edited:

isoRhythm

Banned
Not this again. Gamepass more then sustains itself. Spencer has said as much.

There has been zero proof of this. MS hides its numbers.
Ok let's drop the whole GP shebang.

The other day I was playing multiplayer with friends and I decided to use the in-game text chat, however, everything I was typing was showing up under my friend's username and everything he was typing was showing up under my username. This may seem trivial but in-game text chat has been a thing for ages and I have never seen a glitch like this. All this to say, if 343 can't even get in-game text chat working then I have absolutely no faith in their technical capabilities, seriously it's embarrassing.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
And you think any FPS studio can make a single player game and arena style multiplayer. Almost the entirety of Bungie workforce has been replaced to work in Destiny not some "handful of specific names". If you play both Halo and Destiny how come you come to the conclusion that Destiny 2's PvP shows they can make a better a better arena style multiplayer for Halo? Its essentially the same situation as Rare where they transformed to tackle a different kind of project. Just because they are successful does not mean they can tackle their older IPs. There are entirely different kind of people working in Bungie who have never worked in any Halo game, neither will anyone join Bungie if they want to make Halo or any similar project.
Same reason EA had to buy Codemasters to help with Need For Speed. People who made games like Most Wanted are gone. Bungie has not made a Halo game in over a decade and people who made games like that moved on to other studios. You would need to have people who would want to work on Halo.

And they crunched hard to get to that point. Halo 3 was based off Halo 2, it is the Halo title which is least different from its predecessor . Halo 2 introduced online matchmaking and Halo 3 perfected that. You could say that all their efforts in the Halo franchise since 1997 culminated in Halo 3. Halo 3's single player was just the final act of Halo 2 stretched into a full game. Originally Halo 2 was supposed to end the covenant story instead of Halo 3.
But you thought it was like any other AAA game? During the final 10 months of Halo CE devs were sleeping in the office for months, 5 months before release the multiplayer was scrapped and redone from scratch and the game was not working until 5 weeks from release. The game was supposed to be open world with RPG elements with day and night cycle and had 25 missions(the final had just 15). And the Halo 2 crunch was even worse than that. Many of the devs who worked on Halo 2 would later recount the story of how no one should go through the Halo 2 crunch. And its not Cyberpunk or Anthem level crunch, it was basically the worst crunch in AAA video game development. After this Jason Jones bailed out from making video games(but he did return in the final year of Destiny's development and bailed out again) and Joe Staten left Bungie to help Halo Chronicles which was eventually cancelled (but the script was used by Neill Blomkamp for District 9 including assets from that cancelled Halo movie) and Ensemble with Halo Wars and the cancelled Halo MMO. Halo 3 was lead by Max Hoberman(who is the father of Halo's multiplayer) until he left in 2006 with some other ex-Bungie employees to create Certain Affinity. Marty O'Donell when saw the story draft said "there are no stakes and surprises, this story needs death, lots of them"(inspired by the 2005 film Serenity) and asked for Miranada Keys and Sergeant Johnson(I disagree, these were not needed). So far the least crunch is the one that has least original stuff, only perfected the multiplayer and the single player was the scrapped final act of Halo 2 stretched to a full game. Halo Reach did introduce new gameplay changes but most of them were not well received and almost divide the community but the campaign was fantastic led by Joseph Staten himself.
Pretty much every Halo game since the first one went through some form of development hell. No wonder Bungie wanted to move on from Halo.
Translation: "I didnt do well on my presentation today because I was sick last night and my parents made me go to my sister's gymnastics meet and then when we got home the heat was off in our house so we had to drive to grandma's and...

Only based off Steam? Halo Infinite is the first game since Reach that has more player count than the latest COD in Xbox Store. They don't have any co-op and forge, and still managed this much.
Translation: "At least I did better than Tommy and he's a sh#thead."

c-minus-school-letter-grade.jpg

Edit: Halo Infinite has now slipped to #10 on XBL Most Played List. 343 needs to stop listening to Halo purists and start reading the market better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom