• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247: Xbox at E3 shows it finally has games, but is still struggling to match Sony in terms of wow factor.

Nubulax

yes people are excited for the next game from the makers of Skyrim. But they’ve shown 0 gameplay so far and there are a plethora of games with considerably more hype at the moment. That’s a fairly simple point. People have no idea how the game will play. How can anyone be sitting on the edge of their seat for the game?
I wonder how many huge Skyrim fans are actually looking forward to Starfield or more just looking forward to the next Elder Scrolls. The setting of space matters to people IMO. I am a huge space, sci fi, and rpg fan BUT the initial trailer of Starfield was in 2018 and 3 years later that is the only tease we get...it is very underwhelming, I cant see how people are all that excited about that Starfield tease, It hasnt really shown me much new tbh. By the time it comes out I should have an upgraded/new build PC I will probably do but if not and Starfield looks great from gameplay reveals and reviews I might end up picking up a Series X around then but who knows that is still about 2 years away.

Stalker 2 and Forza Horizon 5 are two of the most impressive games I've seen running on next gen consoles. Halo Infinite campaign is looking like a dream come true for Halo fans like myself, Starfield's creation engine 2 looks, for lack of a better word, outrageously good if what Todd Howard said was in-game is carried over to the final product. Washington post article/interview describes it as a Han Solo simulator of sorts or Nasa meets indiana jones meets league of extraordinary gentlemen. Concept arts give off strong star wars vibes. We haven't seen the working gameplay product yet, so I get that part of tempering expectations, particularly after Cyberpunk 2077, but Bethesda has been at this thing longer, and I trust them. They've never failed me yet. They will craft something amazing, and I can't wait to play it.

We are getting ambitious new games from Arkane with Red Fall, which will be open world and can be played by yourself. Knowing the kinds of games these guys make, I won't be so quick to assume what they have is as dismissible as I've seen some suggest based on the CGI trailer tease. Mad Max and Rage 2 were very interesting from Avalanche, and they say that Contraband, which will have a campaign, is their most ambitious game yet. It's open world, seems like vehicles will be your personal iron man suit of sorts. Things could get very interesting there.

Oh, and looks like the Outer Worlds 2 art style may be changing to something more realistic looking. And yet another day one in game pass. What Xbox & Bethesda threw down at that conference was one of the most impressive displays I've ever seen at one of these conferences.

Plague Tale Requiem looks awesome, and it's also a day one on Game Pass.

Shit, every fucking thing I mentioned is a day one on Game Pass. There has never been anything like this before in gaming.

Stalker 2 is the most impressive pure gameplay demonstration probably of this entire show thus far. Watch that shit on your 4K televisions, watch on your OLED if you have one, I did... lacking wow factor???

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

That is very true, I saw the whole conference while it was much better than previous ones, the games' quality was there but those were not impressive. Just HF5 and Stalker. Even if you do not like certain genre you can assert that something is high quality and graphics are stellar. I only saw that with those two games.

Last edited:

Interfectum

FO76 is literally just Fallout 4 in a new setting and with heavy co-op and online components. Making the engine run through netcode is pretty much 90% of the work, so his point stands.
billy madison idiot GIF

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Stalker 2 is the most impressive pure gameplay demonstration probably of this entire show thus far. Watch that shit on your 4K televisions, watch on your OLED if you have one, I did... lacking wow factor???

Stalker 2 does look really nice.. I think a lot of people just aren't counting it in some ways since it'll be on PS5 likely 3 months later.

Definitely a game I'll be playing on PC via GPU though.

Dr Bass

This was obvious to anyone with eyes IMO. At least if you don't care about any particular multi billion dollar company "winning" a games war.

FunkMiller

E3 2015 cemented a reputation for Sony of dropping huge and popular megatons (even if they’ve never really lived up to that conference again).

Xbox have yet to have such an impactful E3. They probably will in the next couple of years if they continue to acquire developers.

Two things that really need to be taken from the Xbox E3 event. 1: Sony guys are going to have to stop saying Xbox has no games. The games will be there by the end of the year and in 2022 the flood gates really open. 2: Xbox guys are really going to have to be realistic with the power narrative because not much looks that much greater than what is being shown on PS5.

Stalker 2 does look really nice.. I think a lot of people just aren't counting it in some ways since it'll be on PS5 likely 3 months later.

Definitely a game I'll be playing on PC via GPU though.

Maybe, although the developers seem pretty set in stone that they aren't going to port it to any other platforms outside of the ones they are doing it for. They seem to only care about PC, and Microsoft likely had to throw some money at them just to get them to do this much.

Calverz

people will vote with there wallets, i expect ps5 a 2-1 or even 3 to 1 ratio by generations end.
Not really a prediction but more of an expectation. We all know this, but the point is the game is changing. MS have gone all out to win the subscription war.

IntentionalPun

Maybe, although the developers seem pretty set in stone that they aren't going to port it to any other platforms outside of the ones they are doing it for. They seem to only care about PC, and Microsoft likely had to throw some money at them just to get them to do this much.
That's what all "console exclusive" devs do; they are required to not mention the fact the game is timed exclusive for the most part.

But that info leaked as part of the epic lawsuit:

So Unless MS has very recently decided to up their deal, they are just a 3 month exclusive.

Calverz

The bar has been set so low that when they show anything, they did a great job.
Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

People thinking that conference was anything more than average is hilarious. Forza looked great, Stalker looked good.

Everything from last year just disappeared. Nothing on Hellblade, nothing on State of Decay 3, nothing on Scorn, The Gunk, Bright Memory, Halo's campaign (which was supposed to release months ago), nothing from Everwild, Nothing from Fable, nothing from Avowed, nothing from Perfect Dark and many more.

To put it in perspective (with Covid) Sony since then has actually released...Demon Souls, Astro Bot, Ratchet, Spider-Man MM, Spider-Man Remastered, MLB, Sackboy, Returnal, GOT, Last us 2, a few VR titles and a few smaller titles and shown more of Horizon Forbidden West.

Its not just wow factor, its competence. Which is still not a competition. Obviously.
When was the last of us 2 first revealed versus launch date?

JackMcGunns

I think everyone should be considering an Xbox Series X or S and Game Pass, and Xbox clearly has a strong future (2021 releases look good, but 2022 and beyond will be even better), but when it comes to getting people excited Sony still can’t be beaten.

Hell Yeah Success GIF by Naughty Dog

Let me fix that for you:

"When it comes to exciting PlayStation fans, Sony can't be beaten".

I know gamers that hate God of War and couldn't care less about Ratchet & Clank. More PS fans naturally means more fans excited, but that could level off after recent acquisitions and new exclusives. If games like Starfield become a massive hit, you could have the average gamer super excited about it or its subsequent expansions just like gamers get excited about a new Horizon game.

Why should they?

Games nowadays are not made in a year. Not forgetting the wrench that Covid threw into the works.
And the studios werent bought last year. Please stop with the COVID excuse, that would put you back maybe one or two months tops, not years.

Let me fix that for you:

"When it comes to exciting PlayStation fans, Sony can't be beaten".

I know gamers that hate God of War and couldn't care less about Ratchet & Clank. More PS fans naturally means more fans excited, but that could level off after recent acquisitions and new exclusives. If games like Starfield become a massive hit, you could have the average gamer super excited about it or its subsequent expansions just like gamers get excited about a new Horizon game.
OK, gamers dont get excited about a new horizon game nor about Ratchet, just as gamers dont get excited about anything that Microsoft showed yesterday but Forza.

E3 2015 cemented a reputation for Sony of dropping huge and popular megatons (even if they’ve never really lived up to that conference again).

Xbox have yet to have such an impactful E3. They probably will in the next couple of years if they continue to acquire developers.

Pretty much confirming Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6, Arkane's next big game, and all future Bethesda games outside of ones under contract are exclusive to xbox consoles doesn't qualify as a megaton? And 27 of the 30 games they showcased/announced yesterday are day ones on Game Pass. $10 per month or $15 per month. That is hundreds of dollars saved by the end of next year, thousands over the next 4-6 years.

And Outer Worlds 2, the sequel to a fantastic RPG, with a seemingly drastically altered art direction, is also exclusive and coming. I mean, that's one badass fucking lineup no matter how you look at it.

Then people are saying COVID can't be used as an excuse for things not being ready. Really now? They were bought years ago you say? And because they were bought years ago, the nearly a year's+ worth of time that COVID stalled their ability to work can't possibly be a factor? Come on. This isn't meant towards you, just something else I saw, and I'm too lazy to bother quoting it lol.

Leyasu

Banned
And the studios werent bought last year. Please stop with the COVID excuse, that would put you back maybe one or two months tops, not years.
Oh for sure undead labs, compulsion and ninja theory should be ready to show something at least. But as for the other Bethesda studios. It is hard to say.

Also, don’t think for a minute that Covid has only cost a month or two. That has cost a lot more, and it’s impact will be felt for a few more years yet.

I think Starfield would've been up there if Bethesda weren't in a challenging moment given Fallout 76 (despite the way they've recovered from launch.)

Xbox definitely have those titles up their sleeves though, Hellblade 2, Perfect Dark, Fable, we just need to see them!
They didn't show anything real for starfield though, the "gameplay" was a cinematic moment with nothing to it. Al the talk about that game and we get to see someone prepping to launch a ship and that's it . I get that people want to be hyped for that game, personally I'm not all that interested and won't be until I see real gameplay. Hellblade 2 isn't as big of a deal as some make it out to be, the game only sold about a million copies and that's with PS4 and PC included, now you'll have the platform that it sold the most copies on out of the picture. Personally I got bored with it and stopped playing about an hour or so in but I know some others swore by it. I think rebooting Perfect Dark is a waste of time and money, they should have come up with something else, hell I'd rather they rebooted Kameo. I think Fable could be a big deal but it depends on what Playground does with it, do they try too hard to put their own stamp on it or do they just improve upon the things that Lionhead was doing? That series relied a lot on charm and humor, it's my favorite of all of xbox's IP's and I really hope it's great.

Renozokii

Wow... a reddit post.. my source? The credits for the game lol Look them up yourself if you want..

As I said right in the post you quoted... BGS Austin did some engine modifications for them..

Which is absolutely NOTHING like the Obsidian situation.. Obsidian actually made FO NV.. as in, they designed the game... BGS Austin did not design FO76. BGS Maryland did.
Credit are chosen by Bethesda. I have 0 doubt those people did much of the work nor that Todd was technically lead designer. However starfield started a year before 76 came out and I heavily doubt he was doing both and splitting time evenly considering starfield is described as a dream project.
76 was not developed by Bethesda A time for most of its time in development.

FritzJ92

COVID Literally shut down studios and they had to adopt a work from home, ship hardware when shipping was slowed down. I'm not sure you went through the same pandemic as the rest of the world. COVID was way more than a one-month delay, as we see games getting pushed back by more than months right now.

IntentionalPun

Credit are chosen by Bethesda. I have 0 doubt those people did much of the work nor that Todd was technically lead designer. However starfield started a year before 76 came out and I heavily doubt he was doing both and splitting time evenly considering starfield is described as a dream project.
Howard wasn't the director of 76.. or the lead designer.. he was only listed as Executive Producer (meaning he paid for it, and didn't do much else).

I'm talking literally about everyone else who made the game... like the people I listed earlier.

BGS Austin literally did some of the engine modifications.. that's what they are credited for... (and iD's code was utilized too).. the people who designed the game, the gameplay, the art, the levels.. are from FO4 team.

"Bethesda is lying, and somehow some tiny studio made most of FO76."

FO76 now has one of the best maps ever in a Fallout game... made by, people who made other Fallout game's maps and levels.

Last edited:

Bethesda has one game in pre-production and one in full production at any given time. Most of Bethesda A was working on 76

Fair enough

I just dont think that any of these things "pop" and wow during a presentation (aside from graphics, of course)

Ratchet is much more wow inducing ,imo

More "markatble", if that makes sense
that's still pretty subjective. some might find ratchet's fill the screen with everything approach "wow" worthy, others may find Horizon's photorealistic recreation of Mexico "wow" worthy. both can be true.

what's also true is how awful a metric "wow" is as any sort of measurement. truth is, either the games look fun or not. both look fun, both are a win for gamers.

Last edited:

Joey.

Neutral here...

I think they're about even.

Sony hasn't shown much either tbh, Ratchet & Clank was good, Horizon looks amazing but unclear if it'll actually launch this year, God of War has been delayed and we haven't seen anything. I'm sure their big hitters will coming out in the following years.

Xbox has Halo and Forza this year, a bunch of GP launches in the middle, and you know big hitters like Starfield, Fable, Outer worlds, etc. are coming out in the next couple of years.

I call it even unless Sony blast us away with a showcase this summer.

Conclusion: Get both consoles (and the Switch) :D

Last edited:
That's what all "console exclusive" devs do; they are required to not mention the fact the game is timed exclusive for the most part.

But that info leaked as part of the epic lawsuit:

So Unless MS has very recently decided to up their deal, they are just a 3 month exclusive.

Interesting. Does that mean they have it ready for another console in 3 months time, or does it mean Microsoft only paid to keep it off other platforms for a maximum of 3 months? Time will tell I guess.

IntentionalPun

Interesting. Does that mean they have it ready for another console in 3 months time, or does it mean Microsoft only paid to keep it off other platforms for a maximum of 3 months? Time will tell I guess.
Generally means they can't mention any other versions exists until some date, but that they can release as soon as the exclusivity period ends.

Generally the other version is being built at the same time; I don't know of a timed exclusive that ever worked any other way. The only difference are the 2 dates (when they can mention the "other versions" and when they are allowed to release them.)

Thirty7ven

Banned

It certainly means they won't announce any other version at the very least for 3 months post launch.

IntentionalPun

It certainly means they won't announce any other version at the very least for 3 months post launch.
Not necessarily; usually they have the ability to announce the other versions at some point before the exclusivity period ends.

We've seen this over and over... there is first a sort of "marketing exclusivity" where they can't mention anything but the 1 console, and then an actual "release exclusivity".. and the marketing exclusivity runs out before the release one.

Generally means they can't mention any other versions exists until some date, but that they can release as soon as the exclusivity period ends.

Generally the other version is being built at the same time; I don't know of a timed exclusive that ever worked any other way. The only difference are the 2 dates (when they can mention the "other versions" and when they are allowed to release them.)

Guess we'll see. Either way, we are in a gaming golden age.

Topher

Gold Member
That is gameplay video, which highlights how gorgeous the game is, vs a game which we have no idea what the hell is. The fact it has that much without a release gameplay is crazy.

Uh.....ok? That's an entirely different assertion than Starfield > HFW in video count though.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They showed Spiderman, Demon's Souls, Sackboy, Ratchet and Clank, All Stars, Returnal, GoW, GT and Horizon

That's 9 FP games, 6 of them have been released, 1 will be out by the end of the year, and the last 2 next year.

They showed Spiderman, Demon's Souls, Sackboy, Ratchet and Clank, All Stars, Returnal, GoW, GT and Horizon

That's 9 FP games, 6 of them have been released, 1 will be out by the end of the year, and the last 2 next year.

Whoaaa, wait a second, your including an addon/expansion game, and 2 games nobody cares about? Basically all you really have worth talking about is demon, ratchet, and horizon and returnal. Gow and gt aren't until 2022, if you are ok with those, you should be fine with all the 2022 ms stuff.

IntentionalPun

Guess we'll see. Either way, we are in a gaming golden age.
What's gotten interesting is that basically every exclusive, whether timed or not, is a "day one Gamepass" game. MS now sort of has that in their back pocket, beyond just making things timed exclusive.

Although I bet with some smaller games Sony won't be afraid to do PSNow day one's too... but they aren't really doing that for now. I think Sony should restructure their offering personally.

Whoaaa, wait a second, your including an addon/expansion game, and 2 games nobody cares about? Basically all you really have worth talking about is demon, ratchet, and horizon and returnal. Gow and gt aren't until 2022, if you are ok with those, you should be fine with all the 2022 ms stuff.

Wait until tomorrow for me to recharge. I can't handle anymore retarded comments after the fartnoob guy

Spidey Fan

Banned
Uh.....ok? That's an entirely different assertion than Starfield > HFW in video count though.
HFW has the graphic show case, which makes people talk about it, and do enough search. compared to starfield, unknown game, which no one knows anything about it, except its coming next year. Yesterday conference should boost its numbers higher than HFW, and gameplay in the future might make it popular too.

Top Bottom