• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247: Xbox at E3 shows it finally has games, but is still struggling to match Sony in terms of wow factor.

Huh? FO76 was made by Bethesda Game Studios...
Large studios like Bethesda are usually split into 2 or 3 smaller teams with resources being distributed according to the games they each are developing. A smaller team made Fallout 76 with the same assets already created in Fallout 4 while the main team has been working on Starfield since the final Fallout 4 expansion released. It's taken them a long time because they had to overhaul the game engine and were waiting for next-gen console to drop, which is why Starfield is not cross-gen.

Forza definitely wowed me. But don’t we expect that from racing games? They can always push the envelope since they are so basic in nature.The hype behind MS flight sim is baffling and seems utterly artificial to me. People are really super excited to play a hardcore, hyper realistic flight simulator on a controller? The games also been out for like a year. Of course there’s not much of a hype factor
i know, right?! imagine that: other people having different likes than you. fucking wild.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Forza definitely wowed me. But don’t we expect that from racing games? They can always push the envelope since they are so basic in nature.The hype behind MS flight sim is baffling and seems utterly artificial to me. People are really super excited to play a hardcore, hyper realistic flight simulator on a controller? The games also been out for like a year. Of course there’s not much of a hype factor.
The hype behind Flight sim is justified because it's doing its thing and doing it far, far better than anything else out there at doing this for the price of entry.

Large studios like Bethesda are usually split into 2 or 3 smaller teams with resources being distributed according to the games they each are developing. A smaller team made Fallout 76 with the same assets already created in Fallout 4 while the main team has been working on Starfield since the final Fallout 4 expansion released. It's taken them a long time because they had to overhaul the game engine and were waiting for next-gen console to drop, which is why Starfield is not cross-gen.

Fallout 76 was worked on by the almost the entirety of Bethesda.

Todd has said this multiple times

Probably picked the wrong game to compare to with Horizon, one of the videos was the most popular Sony have ever had for a single game. It apparently took 3 hours to reach 2.3 million views and views to a certain extent flow over into new videos.

mejin

Im sure Starfield going to hype people with a gameplay trailer , or something like the skyrim trailer . But this trailer... Eh no .

I think they'll hide gameplay as much as possible. Till then, they'll continue to say the game is the second coming of Christ.

MS showed almost all their cards and reveals came via CG with a few exceptions like Halo and Forza which are cross gens. Everything can change when you announce games so far from launch.

MiguelItUp

The whole thing is incredibly subjective, it's nothing but a "my mom is better than your mom" debate, lmao.

With a PS5 in hand, I'm hyped about what Sony will do in the future. That being said, I didn't think the Microsoft + Bethesda presentation was a sleeper by any means. I wasn't SUPER stoked for a ton of games they showed, but I could see that a lot of them looked interesting and neat. I thought they all looked really good or pretty good visually too. Meanwhile I've seen a ton of people say they looked like shit or garbage. Which I feel isn't fair going by modern standards, which I felt the majority that was shown fulfilled. I can't tell if they're trolls, Sony fanboys, or just bitter/salty people with expectations that will never be met.

For me, right now, there was a lot more for me in that presentation than what I've seen what Sony has to offer, yet. I have no doubt that will change in the future, which is why I wanted a PS5 in the first place. But right now, per usual, I'm playing more and looking forward to more on PC. 🤷‍♂️

In the end, I still think it's an exciting time for gaming. Especially with crossplay becoming such a normal thing now. People have the power to choose the platform they want, but are still able to play with everyone. It's amazing. I wish I had that when I was a kiddo and in my teens, but I'm so glad to see that it's becoming more of a standard thing these days.

Renozokii

i know, right?! imagine other people have different likes than you. fucking wild.
It’s not a different take. Flight sim will be near the bottom in the player charts after just a month and I’ll put money on that. It looks cool but it’s literally just a flight sim and one that will have to be dumbed down for the Xbox controller at that.

RGB'D

Dude you got to be kidding right? Seasons and events in a game are game changing? Are you serious? Ratchet and Clank introduces new mechanics not seen in any other game. What’s wrong with you people?
Bioshock infinite was doing dimensions 2 generations ago... I love me some R and C but man, it's not like they did all that much to change it up. It's still super fun and my favorite game of 2021 so far but you are exaggerating it's innovation...

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Fallout 76 was not made by the same team that made fallout 4 and that is now making starfield. Made largely by Bethesda Austin and some other support teams.
This is just BS.. FO4 and 76, had the same Lead Producer... FO4's lead programmer was FO76's Technical Director... same Lead Designer and Writer... the FO4 Lead Artist became FO76's Art Director... the gameplay programmers? You guessed it.. largely the same... and, and,and.

It was some of the FO4 team + they brought in the studio that became Bethesda Austin who did engine modifications for them.

I'm sure some of the FO4 team went to Starfield, if that's what they wanted to do....

But Fallout 76 was largely made by people from the same team as FO4...

The game was not made by BSG Austin, they did some engine modifications (likely after FO76 was already released in many cases).. the game was made by BGS.. largely by the team behind FO4.

Last edited:

Renozokii

The hype behind Flight sim is justified because it's doing its thing and doing it far, far better than anything else out there at doing this for the price of entry.
It’s good at what is does, not saying it’s not. Am I to believe however, that there is a large number of airplane enthusiasts dying for a real accurate flight sim that have just not played the series on a half decent pc at this point though? For console players it’s a gimmick they are over hyping. Same way people hyped the shit out of scale bound despite looking like shit because it was a Microsoft funded platinum game.

Probably picked the wrong game to compare to with Horizon, one of the videos was the most popular Sony have ever had for a single game. It apparently took 3 hours to reach 2.3 million views and views to a certain extent flow over into new videos.

Sony has the mindshare. No one is denying this.

It is pretty much the reason why this article was written. And people are debating in this thread.

Looking objectively there wouldn't be a discussion. The conference was a Banger.

You said Microsoft blew their load, meaning they showed off everything they have to offer, which is untrue.

No you idiot. They still have projects from studios like complusion and inexile. I'm aware they still have games in early development they haven't shown.

That still doens't change the fact that they've been announcing games left and right that we won't be seeing for 2, 3 years or more

Last edited:

Hugare

dude: seasons, the eliminator, super 7, 5 will have a creation mode where you can build customs maps, challenges, etc.

and ratchet is just a third person platformer with a new gimmick.

see, i can do it too.
Fair enough

I just dont think that any of these things "pop" and wow during a presentation (aside from graphics, of course)

Ratchet is much more wow inducing ,imo

More "markatble", if that makes sense

Last edited:
No you idiot. They still have projects from studios like complusion and inexile. I'm aware they still have games in early development they haven't shown.

That still doens't change the fact that they've been announcing games left and right that we won't be seeing for 2, 3 years or more
When has E3 ever been about showing games coming within the next 6 months? It's always been about what's coming in the future, sometimes even years away just like Last Guardian.

SirTerry-T

It’s good at what is does, not saying it’s not. Am I to believe however, that there is a large number of airplane enthusiasts dying for a real accurate flight sim that have just not played the series on a half decent pc at this point though? For console players it’s a gimmick they are over hyping. Same way people hyped the shit out of scale bound despite looking like shit because it was a Microsoft funded platinum game.
I don't care how many millions want to play it or how many GOTY awards or column inches it gets but as an Xbox owner I appreciate the fact that I am being given the chance to play a title like this that bucks the trends a bit. That right there is a "wow"

Maybe MS and Asobo can make an epic light RPG about an air traffic controller fighting for survival in a post apocalyptic airport.

Wow factor off the scale.

Last edited:

Renozokii

This is just BS.. FO4 and 76, had the same Lead Producer... FO4's lead programmer was FO76's Technical Director... same Lead Designer and Writer... the FO4 Lead Artist became FO76's Art Director... the gameplay programmers? You guessed it.. largely the same... and, and,and.

It was the FO4 team + they brought in the studio that became Bethesda Austin who did engine modifications for them.

I'm sure some of the FO4 team went to Starfield, if that's what they wanted to do....

But Fallout 76 was largely made by the same team as FO4...

Really over simplifying it.

Sony has the mindshare. No one is denying this.

It is pretty much the reason why this article was written. And people are debating in this thread.

Looking objectively there wouldn't be a discussion. The conference was a Banger.
The discussion at hand was specifically about him saying that there was already more coverage on YouTube of Starfield than there was of Horizon Forbidden West. My post was not about mindshare, it was simply pointing that he probably picked the wrong game to make a comparison with due to it being ridiculously popular on YouTube.

IntentionalPun

Really over simplifying it.

Wow... a reddit post.. my source? The credits for the game lol Look them up yourself if you want..

As I said right in the post you quoted... BGS Austin did some engine modifications for them..

Which is absolutely NOTHING like the Obsidian situation.. Obsidian actually made FO NV.. as in, they designed the game... BGS Austin did not design FO76. BGS Maryland did.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
Those modes makes the game alive more, bring more community, compared to ratchet. Its same as Mario maker mode, and gta online challenge mode.

Ratchet has nothing scale on that.
Those modes are modes that exist in many games. I had a generic vita kart game back when it released with the console which had that kind of stuff (events, map making etc). Stop joking damn it 😂.

Wow... a reddit post.. my source? The credits for the game lol

As I said right in the post you quoted... BGS Austin did some engine modifications for them..

Which is absolutely NOTHING like the Obsidian situation.. Obsidian actually made FO NV.. as in, they designed the game... BGS Austin did not design FO76. BGS Maryland did.
FO76 is literally just Fallout 4 in a new setting and with heavy co-op and online components. Making the engine run through netcode is pretty much 90% of the work, so his point stands.

psn

Wtf is starfield, looks like DOA. Forza Horizon 5 looks sick though and I agree - most of the games are solid but lack the wow-factor. Aside from FH5 the show was meh, but that is just my opinion. Bethesda as a whole screams "meh" to me. Overrated AF even though they are always underdelivering IMO.

IntentionalPun

FO76 is literally just Fallout 4 in a new setting and with heavy co-op and online components. Making the engine run through netcode is pretty much 90% of the work, so his point stands.

You guys are ridiculous.

You think the massive setting of FO76 was only 10% of the work?

And either way.. you think BGS Maryland didn't work on the engine? Give me a break..

Ya'll are in conspiracy theory mode at this point.. check the credits of FO4 and FO76 and get back to me.

Last edited:
You're criticizing the Xbox briefing for showing game that are 2 or 3 years off, and I'm saying that's always been the case for all publishers. Go get some Koolaid and cool down bro.

🤦‍♂️

I said it's pointless to compare Sony's lineup to Xbox's because the latter has been blowing their load with games we won't see until 2023/4

The last time Sony announced their FP lineup was last year, the majority of them are already out, and the remaining onces should be out before even Starfield

Do you get it yet?

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
Bioshock infinite was doing dimensions 2 generations ago... I love me some R and C but man, it's not like they did all that much to change it up. It's still super fun and my favorite game of 2021 so far but you are exaggerating it's innovation...
The way they implemented it and the execution is many many light years away from Bioshock infinite (which by the way is one of my most favorite games). Bioshock infinite dimensions is a joke compared to R and C.

I would argue the Horizon Forbidden West 15 min State of Play was pretty much almost as good by itself as most of the E3 conferences anyway

I would argue it had exceptional graphics, but gameplay didn't looked that great.

If it weren't scripted, would have been much better.

Forsythia

Since most people love their third-person over the shoulder movie games, yeah, the article is right, Sony will wow more people. It's easier to do that with amazing graphics and a simple story than with gameplay.

Last edited:
🤦‍♂️

I said it's pointless to compare Sony's lineup to Xbox's because the latter has been blowing their load with games we won't see for until 2023/4

The last time Sony announced their FP lineup was last year, the vast majority of them are already out, and the reamining onces should be out before even Starfield

Do you get it yet?
Ratchet, Horizon 2, GT7 and Ragnarok were shown in Sony's last briefing last year. Only one of those games has released and the other 3 still have no release dates.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Something my father would say

c5ff2699d810a8bc96f18d5bdf6affe7.jpg

Ratchet, Horizon 2, GT7 and Ragnarok were shown in Sony's last briefing last year. Only one of those games has released and the other 3 still have no release dates.

They showed Spiderman, Demon's Souls, Sackboy, Ratchet and Clank, All Stars, Returnal, GoW, GT and Horizon

That's 9 FP games, 6 of them have been released, 1 will be out by the end of the year, and the last 2 next year.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
imo last weekend e3 was a small show of force. the power of Gamepass
we know even more games are coming.

can you imagine the mass media will be reporting: day 1 on Gamepass! day 1 on Gamepass! day 1 on Gamepass! rinse and repeat for the rest of the gen
that is why, please do the 3 years Gamepass hack asap. MS may close the hole if they meet their internal uptake targets faster than expected.

Renozokii

I don't care how many millions want to play it or how many GOTY awards or column inches it gets but as an Xbox owner I appreciate the fact that I am being given the chance to play a title like this that bucks the trends a bit. That right there is a "wow"

Maybe MS and Asobo can make an epic light RPG about an air traffic controller fighting for survival in a post apocalyptic airport.

Wow factor off the scale.
You’ve stated you’re thought process I’ve stated mine. Flight simulator isn’t a game that was ever built for consoles. Post week 2 after launch the only time it will be brought up is to how how Xbox actually does have games.

Spidey Fan

Banned
I specifically said fallout 4 though.

Did I read your comment wrong? Because if I did your are replying with utter nonsense.

You used cyber punk as an example of a game that got a ton of hype without showing any gameplay. I replied that it’s hype was due to the witcher 3, which received far more acclaim, sales, and fanfare than the Bethesda last major game, fallout 4. I’ll also tack on that the imagery and idea behind cyberpunk, despite it obviously not delivering, were in theory far more exciting than what starfield is currently promising.
Starfield is riding with marrowind, oblivion and skyrim hype. You just brought the fall out talk.

My cyberpunk2077 was example of hype machine.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Did you need more wow factor than FH5? Gtfo! lol

Shit was bananas, not to mention FS 2021, Halo MP looked fun fuck and Stalker 2 looked FANTASTIC, the rest wasn't bad at all either.

The shows pacing was nearly perfect.

The beautiful thing is that we all KNOW, that a lot more games ARE coming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom