• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247: Xbox at E3 shows it finally has games, but is still struggling to match Sony in terms of wow factor.

Topher

Gold Member
New one. The old one are 10/10 from me.

The new God of War one didn't have a "linear set up" or climbing at all. It was a semi-open world with the Lake of the Nine as the central hub for moving between realms. And there was no climbing. That was in the old God of War games. Regardless, the game play between Uncharted and God of War in either the old or new are much different than Uncharted. The fact that Uncharted is a shooter and God of War is not makes it pretty obvious.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Lmao okay so how does Spiderman fit in?

I'm pretty sure even casual gamers can tell the difference between the open world spiderman and and hack and slash god of war

They're casuals, not idiots
I might jumped the gun on spiderman little bit.

After arkham games, I hoped spiderman wouldn't be constrained by the story. And give us more spiderman doing spidey thing, like how batman is batman. The story so far is 10/10. I liked Peter and spiderman dynamic. Gameplay wise, not really.

Sony games are great, but I wouldn't say they have much "wow" factor atm either. It comes down to personal taste. I'm faaaaaar more excited as a WRPG fan than anything sony has on the horizion. Seeing how good starfield look visually is a wow factor to me. While horizion is a visually beautiful game, as someone who got bored of the light rpg elements and combat in #1 it didn't excite me all that much.

Renozokii

Sony really loves their third-person, open world titles as of late. not a fan myself.

so (to me) Horizon 5, Flight Simulator, Sea of Thieves update, Grounded, and even Halo’s MP gets me more excited about playing games. maybe thats not a “WOW” factor, but that’s also a pretty terrible metric for criticism.
Third person open world racing game, third person open world flying game, open world but FIRST PERSON!! pirate game (now with a Disney character that Disney won’t be making more movies with), open world survival game (also dog shit), and another halo.

truly exciting times and very different from Sony.

Brofist

I see more people talking about stalker 2 and forza 5 than starfield. It’s existence is literally a barely show anything cgi trailer and some ideas right now.
A game coming out in a few months is getting more attention? You don't say.

When there is actually something to see about Starfield it will get a ton of attention.

Spidey Fan

Banned
I see more people talking about stalker 2 and forza 5 than starfield. It’s existence is literally a barely show anything cgi trailer and some ideas right now.
They showed gameplay for these 2.

Starfield main selling is the space with skyrim gameplay.

Outside of this forum, you will see how people are crazy for Starfield.

NahaNago

It just doesn't make any sense, because Halo is not on Playstation, and Horizon Zero Dawn sold more than the last Halo. So if we combine the factors it's easy to conclude that there's no association there.

Sony doesn't tend to release games in November, because October - November - December are usually very busy with really big 3rd party games dropping. There's no need for them to compete with big 3rd parties head on.

Gamepass will help Halo have more people jumping in and the online is F2P, but it will be competing with big dogs for mindshare, so it better be real good if it's releasing in November.
Yeah, I was thinking that Sony doesn't really like to release games during that time period. I'm mixed on Horizon releasing this year since they don't have much time left to do so. They did have that gameplay reveal last month but I doubt they are going to promote the game this month since this should be Ratchet's month so that just leaves 2 and half months of marketing for horizon. Then again the gameplay reveal last month could have simply been the appetizer for the marketing next month since they have to skip this month.

Renozokii

They showed gameplay for these 2.

Starfield main selling is the space with skyrim gameplay.

Outside of this forum, you will see how people are crazy for Starfield.
Can you point out where? I can see pretty standard amounts of hype only. And yes thanks for making my point about games needing gameplay before people really go crazy for them. Preciate it

Shubh_C63

Seeing how good starfield look visually is a wow factor to me.
I am sorry I really don't believe the game will look visually like that.
if it does I will be playing Starfield till I die

starfield-trailer-caps-2021-june_1.jpg

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Sony pushes the graphical envelope farther; they also did last gen.

It is cool and all, but I actually thought their most interesting game last gen was Days Gone, not because of graphics (although it's underrated in that department) but because of the horde mechanic. Lots of dynamic situations arise out of that.. strategy is needed, action is wild.. would love to see more of that kind of thing in their next-gen games.

Give me uglier games with more going on TBH... and I mean more as in action, AI's, etc.. not stuff flying around in the background all crazy while the game itself is just a simple action platformer like Ratchet.

Last edited:
I don't think I have cleaned the jizz in my pants after watching horizon 5
I mean seriously isn't horizon 5 the best looking next gen game till now ?

Hugare

I kinda agree

Forza looked awesome, but we had so many (high quality) entries in the series recently that it kinda feels like more of the same (its racing. Its kinda hard to inovate)

Starfield trailer was good, but no gameplay, so we dont know how it plays, what you do and etc.

The rest was a bunch of average looking games honestly.

Series S will be Xbox's anchor, so trying to make exclusives look as good as the ones on the PS5 will be a tall order

Last edited:
I kinda agree

Forza looked awesome, but we had so many (high quality) entries in the series recently that it kinda feels like more of the same (its racing. Its kinda hard to inovate)

Starfield trailer was good, but no gameplay, so we dont know how it plays, what you do and etc.

The rest was a bunch of average looking games honestly.

Series S will be Xbox's anchor, so trying to make exclusives look as good as the ones on the PS5 will be a tall order
So Forza looked like Forza and ratchet doesn't look like rathet?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Yeah, I was thinking that Sony doesn't really like to release games during that time period. I'm mixed on Horizon releasing this year since they don't have much time left to do so. They did have that gameplay reveal last month but I doubt they are going to promote the game this month since this should be Ratchet's month so that just leaves 2 and half months of marketing for horizon. Then again the gameplay reveal last month could have simply been the appetizer for the marketing next month since they have to skip this month.

It's probably a February release. With the games they have already released, timed exclusives coming up, and the PS5 still being in a situation where demand far outstrips supply... Yeah I think there's no rush at all for Horizon.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Can you point out where? I can see pretty standard amounts of hype only. And yes thanks for making my point about games needing gameplay before people really go crazy for them. Preciate it
YouTube, reddit, and Twitter.

Starfield is from the makers of fallout and elder scrolls. The fantasy of these 2 are massive. And are all eyes on starfield. Then you have skyrim people and modding community.

I love God of war, but honestly anything at scale of skyrim is instant hype for me.

Zones

Sony games are great no doubt. But they are single player games, stuck in 1 formula. I want different take for their games. Like stop these story nonsense, and focus more on gameplay. I dont want to see these cinematic moments.

Plus their games really show the problem, when you play 3-4 games at the same time. Its same gameplay, different skin. I have no idea the difference between God of war, spiderman and uncharted, when you play them all together.
5d8c8r.jpg

Last edited:
I am sorry I really don't believe the game will look visually like that.
if it does I will be playing Starfield till I die

starfield-trailer-caps-2021-june_1.jpg
This looks a like a Bethesda game with better models and lighting. I'm pretty sure it will ook like this. Not too far fetched. You ever seen skyrim with mods? Pretty similar.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Starfield is from the makers of fallout and elder scrolls. The fantasy of these 2 are massive. And are all eyes on starfield. Then you have skyrim people and modding community.

I love God of war, but honestly anything at scale of skyrim is instant hype for me.
This forum has a weird blind spot for the sheer popularity of Bethesda RPGs.

The games are different but they do all have the same skeleton of game design when it comes to systems. The light rpg skill based upgrades are the same throughout all the games. I am personally tired of them. They would honestly be more unique without then. Like the way you upgrade abilities in GOW, is the same as Spiderman is the same as Horizion. But its not only a sony problem. Assassins creed is similar now. It's just a tired formula in the industry.

Hugare

So Forza looked like Forza and ratchet doesn't look like rathet?
At least Ratchet brought the whole dimension mechanic as something new, and its been quite some time since the last entry on the franchise

What was new about Forza?

It looked REALLY good, and will probably play amazing, but its a racing game, dude.

From a series with entries almost every year

Last edited:

Renozokii

yes people are excited for the next game from the makers of Skyrim. But they’ve shown 0 gameplay so far and there are a plethora of games with considerably more hype at the moment. That’s a fairly simple point. People have no idea how the game will play. How can anyone be sitting on the edge of their seat for the game?

NahaNago

It's probably a February release. With the games they have already released, timed exclusives coming up, and the PS5 still being in a situation where demand far outstrips supply... Yeah I think there's no rush at all for Horizon.
You just reminded me death loop releases sept. 24 and supposedly ghostwire in October so Horizon is going to release in Feb like I was theorizing. Gt in April or May and God of War in September.

Spidey Fan

Banned
yes people are excited for the next game from the makers of Skyrim. But they’ve shown 0 gameplay so far and there are a plethora of games with considerably more hype at the moment. That’s a fairly simple point. People have no idea how the game will play. How can anyone be sitting on the edge of their seat for the game?
Cyberpunk2077

If you're going by YouTube metrics even H:FW is pushing more numbers

They needed gameplay.

Papacheeks

Banned
Sony pushes the graphical envelope farther; they also did last gen.

It is cool and all, but I actually thought their most interesting game last gen was Days Gone, not because of graphics (although it's underrated in that department) but because of the horde mechanic. Lots of dynamic situations arise out of that.. strategy is needed, action is wild.. would love to see more of that kind of thing in their next-gen games.

Give me uglier games with more going on TBH... and I mean more as in action, AI's, etc.. not stuff flying around in the background all crazy while the game itself is just a simple action platformer like Ratchet.

It sounds like they are doing more interesting things with AI in Horizon:FW with how the animals react and are alert to you. They literally follow you while your climbing.

Its described as skyrim in space. If you a Bethesda game studios fan you already have an idea of how its going to play. Thats exciting.

Derktron

Banned
So let me guess, you want Microsoft to copy Sony in making blockbuster video games like TLoUS and walking simulators like Death Stranding? You people are pitiful. You guys are never satisfied, it’s one of many reasons why Microsoft keeps buying studios. Make up your damn minds already. Stop giving Microsoft the ideas that they need more studios because of games.

Last edited:

MikeM

I thought Xbox's show was really good. They have some bangers coming which is a relief to see considering how bad their previous "actual gameplay" debacle was. Halo looks like its not going to suck MP wise which is great. I still have no idea what Starfield is going to be like- that trailer did nothing for me besides showing it exists.

If you have GP- you have access to a majority of these new releases day 1. I'll take it.

Renozokii

Cyberpunk2077
Hot off the Witcher 3, one of the most beloved and acclaimed games of all time with some of the best sales legs we’ve ever seen in a game. Bethesda is hot off of fallout 4, which sold less, reviewed worse, and maintained players for less time.

yurinka

I agree, and I think this is because announced games need to deliver the promises first, if they are great games, the second wave will have WOW factor.

Avowed
Perfect Dark
Fable
Forza 5 <-- wow factor here
Halo Infinite
Starfield
Redfall
Age of Empires
MFS
The outer worlds 2
Maybe the wow factor is only there because the only ones that shown gameplay from there are a PC strategy game and Halo (its gameplay caused memes), the other ones as of today are a collection of nice CG teasers.

So it's very difficult to cause wow effect without watching the game.

ivtgf52lnmn51-scaled.jpg

...It's been an year and still no release date along with Horizon and GT7.
This game started its development in 2018 and was announced mid September, not a year ago. Like GT7, it was going to be released late this year but will be released next year, something understandable specially with covid. Horizon now has Holidays 2021 as date but it may change.

Last edited:
At least Ratchet brought the whole dimension mechanic as something new, and its been quite some time since the last entry on the franchise

What was new about Forza?

It looked REALLY good, and will probably play amazing, but its a racing game, dude.

From a series with entries almost every year
Exactly a next gen photo realistic racing game dude with tons of new modes new location and probably the best in class graphics just like ratchet,

Kholinar

Banned
Sony games have the WOW factor because they release titles with extremely high production quality and immaculate pedigree. Rift Apart, GoW, Spider-Man, Tsushima, The Last of Us, Horizon, etc. These games deliver in both gameplay and cinematics, and they're concocted in such a seamless blend that it's almost like watching an unfolding piece of art. Not only that, but they actually include gameplay demonstrations in their presentations, of which there was a conspicuous lack of yesterday.

Xbox still has a long way to go. They haven't had their PS E3 2018 moment yet.

Sony games have the WOW factor because they release titles with extremely high production quality and immaculate pedigree. Rift Apart, GoW, Spider-Man, Tsushima, The Last of Us, Horizon, etc. These games deliver in both gameplay and cinematics, and they're concocted in such a seamless blend that it's almost like watching an unfolding piece of art. Not only that, but they actually include gameplay demonstrations in their presentations, of which there was a conspicuous lack of yesterday.

Xbox still has a long way to go. They haven't had their PS E3 2018 moment yet.
I loved the GOW Ragnarok gameplay presentation from Sony last year...

Spidey Fan

Banned
If you're going by YouTube metrics even H:FW is pushing more numbers

They needed gameplay.
Not really. HFW doesn't even come close to starfield.

So far we had teaser. then video of engine game. Its higher level of hype than elden ring.

I am not looking down on HFW, but it doesn't come close to these 2 title. Elden ring has souls fans, while Starfield has rpg fans. Both these people are anticipating these 2 games.

INC

BF2042 has been the only game worth seeing so far this year

Sony had horizon, so its 1 for 1 for now

Hardly a wow from anyone this year

Top Bottom