• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247 Top 50 games from 2010-2019

nani17

are in a big trouble
Source

50. Stellaris (2016)
49. Cities Skylines (2015)
48. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (2010)
47. Pokemon: Let’s Go (2018)
46. Super Mario Odyssey (2018)

45. Fortnite (2017)
44. Sleeping Dogs (2012)
43. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (2010)
42. Civilization 5 (2010)
41. FTL (2012)
40. Doom (2016)
39. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (2018)
38. Outlast (2013)
37. Pokemon Go (2016)
36. Nier Automata (2017)
35. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (2012)

34. Shadow of the Colossus (2018)
33. Divinity: Original Sin 2 (2017)

32. Dragon’s Dogma (2012)
31. Resident Evil 2 Remake (2019)
30. Disco Elysium (2019)
29. Final Fantasy 15 (2016)
28. Metal Gear Solid 5 (2015)
27. Torchlight 2 (2012)
26. Bloodborne (2015)
25. Far Cry 3 (2012)
24. Persona 4 Golden (2012)
23. The Witcher 2 (2011)
22. Hitman (2016)
21. Mass Effect 3 (2012)
20. Portal 2 (2011)
19. Ultra Street Fighter 4 (2015)
18. Hotline Miami (2012)
17. Stardew Valley (2016)
16. Dark Souls 3 (2016)
15. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
14. Grand Theft Auto 5 (2013)
13. XCOM 2 (2016)
12. Destiny 2(2014)
11. Titanfall 2 (2016)
10. Dishonored 2 (2016)
9. Red Dead Redemption (2010)
7. The Last of Us (2013)
6. God of War (2018)
5. Fallout: New Vegas (2010)
4. Skyrim (2011)
3. Red Dead Redemption 2 (2018)
2. Mass Effect 2 (2010)
1. The Witcher 3 (2015)

What do you think?
Are they missing any games?
What would be your top 10?

Fbh

It takes 16 games for the first Souls game to show up and it's not Bloodborne.

67b.jpg

pramod

Banned
Only game in that list I really played is Ultra SF4. Tried to play both Mass Effect 2 and Witcher 3 and they could not hold my interest.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mine would be...
1) Nier Automata
2) Xenoblade Chonicles 2
3) The Last Guardian
4) Skyrim
5) Xenoblade Chonicles 1
6) Zelda Breath of the Wild
7) Horizon Zero Dawn
8) Bad Company 2
9) The Witcher 3
10) Dark Souls 3

Just thought of this quickly so I may be forgetting something I want to swap in!

cormack12

Gold Member
Off the top of my head without any real in depth moving and rejigging I think my list would be close to this:

Witcher 3
Stardew Valley
Bloodborne
God of War III
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Dead Cells
Diablo III
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Divinity: Original Sin
Assassins Creed: Origin

spawn

I agree with Witcher 3 as #1. I would add Horizon zero dawn, Uncharted 3, infamous second son, battlefield 1, and spiderman to the list. It's cool that sleeping dogs is above Fortnite at #44. That game was a sleeper hit.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Both Pokemon Go and Pokemon: Let's Go on the list?

Pokemon Go, I could see. It seeped into the public consciousness in a big way ("Pokemon Go to the polls!"). But Let's Go? The game was interesting as a remake of Red / Blue - but saying it belongs in this list - I take umbrage with that.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Boo no Catherine.

But I’m happy Danganronpa made it.

Make a top 50 list featuring none of those games and pit them against each other. Let’s get freaky.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Make a top 50 list featuring none of those games and pit them against each other. Let’s get freaky.

No particular order:

1. Catherine: Full Body
2. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
3. Limbo/Inside
4. Undertale
5. Dark Souls
6. Sekiro
7. Horizon: Zero Dawn
8. Uncharted 4
9. Spider-man
10. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
11. Xenoblade Chronicles
12. Persona 5
13. Detroit: Become Human
14. Cuphead
15. Little Nightmares
16. Resident Evil 7
17. Celeste
18. Dragon Quest XI
19. Mega Man 11
20. Kingdom Hearts III
21. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
22. SOMA
23. The Last Guardian
24. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
25. Sonic Mania
26. Ashen
27. Sunset Overdrive
28. Ori and the Blind Forest
29. Tales of Berseria
30. Gravity Rush
31. Dragon Quest Builders
32. Control
33. Journey
34. Shovel Knight
35. Rayman: Origins
36. Virtue's Last Reward
37. Soul Calibur VI
38. Death Stranding
39. Bayonetta 2
40. Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion
41. Doki Doki Literature Club
42. Hollow Knight
43. Bastion
44. Night in the Woods
45. The Witness
46. Untitled Goose Game
47. Octopath Traveler
48. Super Meat Boy
49. Papers, Please
50. The Binding of Isaac

Bonus: Rocket League

Last edited:
Very good list. In fact the best I've seen. I'd personally put Resident Evil 2 remake much higher. Maybe fringe top 10.

I agree 100%. Now that I look better Nier Automata should be higher as well, but overall one of the better list I've seen thus far, glad to see no Nintendo fanboyism on the top 10!

Can't find Death Stranding... so fail list.

Good.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Ah shit, here we go again.
Let's see:
  • Far Cry 3 above Resident Evil 2... da fuck? Blood Dragon maybe... but 3?
  • Outlast instead of Alien: Isolation? Where are my nitroglycerin pills?
  • No Arkham City anywhere on the list but they have Mass Effect 3?
I have to stop. My blood pressure can't take anymore.

Divinity OS 2 at only #34 was one thing, but this was too much: "Usually I can’t get on with these classic RPGs. There’s something about the distant camera that makes it hard to care about the characters and the world, and the fact that you move around with a mouse only makes you feel more detached."

Not to mention of course the usual open world fare near the top. Plebs.

Handel

Too AAA heavy in the top 10 and elsewhere(lol@Destiny 2 and ME3), though has some nice picks that don't get enough respect elsewhere like Dragon's Dogma and Hitman.

Got to give them some pretty mad props for Disco Elysium being there as well.

nkarafo

Ah, a list. Always an easy way to generate clicks.

Though, i don't know why would anyone care about such thing unless it's from someone who you genuinely care about.

No Nintendo-game in the top10 is hilarious, no Japanese game untim #15 questionable.

Sure, you can do such a list ... but it paints a rather ignorant picture of yourselves 💁

I'm working on my own top10 of the decade-list. Maybe I'll make a thread for it later where everybody can post his/her list.

klosos

Divinity OS 2 at only #34 was one thing, but this was too much: "Usually I can’t get on with these classic RPGs. There’s something about the distant camera that makes it hard to care about the characters and the world, and the fact that you move around with a mouse only makes you feel more detached."

Not to mention of course the usual open world fare near the top. Plebs.

Yes Divinity OS 2 is only bettered by Witcher 3 and Bloodborne in this decade in my opinon.

Also going back and playing Mass Effect 2 earlier this year , its overrated and a backward step in many ways compared to Mass Effect . Its basically a corridor shooter with crappy dialogue choices with a complete downgrade on RPG mechanics.

Saruhashi

Banned
The usual problems with these lists.

50 games is TOO MANY for a best of the decade list.
Potentially allowing each year to be represented by 5 games.
That's too much.
You end up with games that are on the list kind of "just because", a lot of filler.
Or the list is 50 titles long because you don't want some great games to be "left out".

DOOM 2016 for example though is a perfectly good game but no way this is one of the very best in the last 10 years.
Pokemon Go? That's a piss take.

The criteria for being on the list seems all over the place.
Does a game just need to be good? Does it need to be a top seller?
Should the games on the list have contributed some major change to the medium?
Or should they just be subjectively fun to play?

Too many games from the same series. In my opinion. Pick ONE Witcher game. Pick ONE Mass Effect game.

I think it's also better to just have the list be for this generation or a specific platform.

New games being on a "best of the decade" never sits right with me.
They are too fresh in the memory to be properly reflected on, in my opinion.

Not sure about remakes and remasters either. Yes they can be great games but they are remade versions of older games so I'm not sure they can really be used to define the best of recent times.

From their top 10 here I think you could easily hack out a few.
Dishonored 2, Red Dead 2 and Fallout 4 can all go.
Especially when you have New Vegas and the original Red Dead already in there.

Skyrim and The Witcher 3 would get to stay. As far as games that have stood the test of time go these 2 really are the full package.
Read Dead Redemption stays in for the same reasons. It's an undeniable classic.
Mass Effect 2 stays in definitely. It's a real shame that 3 didn't build on this one.
The Last of Us gets to stay.

I don't think New Vegas gets to stay in tbh. God of War doesn't really bring anything new to the table. It's great but not THAT great.

The likes of Bloodborne and Nier Automata just have so much more character and identity and also have the great gameplay to match with their amazing presentation.

One of the things about these lists spanning a decade is just that there are so many games.
I could make a top 10 and then someone will say "do you remember X" and suddenly I am thinking the whole thing needs to be redone.

Like ULTROS! ULTROS! gave an alternative top 50 list and some of those games are magnificent but I don't think they are really the absolute best of the best.
Sonic Mania and Bastion, for example, are fantastic games but they are not on the absolute very best level.

IKSTUGA

Well, there are some good games in there at least. One of the better lists I've seen recently, although I don't agree with the ordering at all.

The usual problems with these lists.

50 games is TOO MANY for a best of the decade list.
Potentially allowing each year to be represented by 5 games.
That's too much.
You end up with games that are on the list kind of "just because", a lot of filler.
Or the list is 50 titles long because you don't want some great games to be "left out".

DOOM 2016 for example though is a perfectly good game but no way this is one of the very best in the last 10 years.
Pokemon Go? That's a piss take.

The criteria for being on the list seems all over the place.
Does a game just need to be good? Does it need to be a top seller?
Should the games on the list have contributed some major change to the medium?
Or should they just be subjectively fun to play?

Too many games from the same series. In my opinion. Pick ONE Witcher game. Pick ONE Mass Effect game.

I think it's also better to just have the list be for this generation or a specific platform.

New games being on a "best of the decade" never sits right with me.
They are too fresh in the memory to be properly reflected on, in my opinion.

Not sure about remakes and remasters either. Yes they can be great games but they are remade versions of older games so I'm not sure they can really be used to define the best of recent times.

From their top 10 here I think you could easily hack out a few.
Dishonored 2, Red Dead 2 and Fallout 4 can all go.
Especially when you have New Vegas and the original Red Dead already in there.

Skyrim and The Witcher 3 would get to stay. As far as games that have stood the test of time go these 2 really are the full package.
Read Dead Redemption stays in for the same reasons. It's an undeniable classic.
Mass Effect 2 stays in definitely. It's a real shame that 3 didn't build on this one.
The Last of Us gets to stay.

I don't think New Vegas gets to stay in tbh. God of War doesn't really bring anything new to the table. It's great but not THAT great.

The likes of Bloodborne and Nier Automata just have so much more character and identity and also have the great gameplay to match with their amazing presentation.

One of the things about these lists spanning a decade is just that there are so many games.
I could make a top 10 and then someone will say "do you remember X" and suddenly I am thinking the whole thing needs to be redone.

Like ULTROS! ULTROS! gave an alternative top 50 list and some of those games are magnificent but I don't think they are really the absolute best of the best.
Sonic Mania and Bastion, for example, are fantastic games but they are not on the absolute very best level.

I keep looking for a button to unlike this posting but can't find one.

Seriously, so much wrong and entitlement. 🐧

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The list isn't bad, but I can no longer put any Mass Effect game in my top 10 after the ending of 3. Id replace its spot with Bloodborne and move into ME2 into ME3s spot and completely remove ME3

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Dark Souls 3 above Bloodborne? Give me a break. Its the weakest and least interesting of the trilogy, it has "contractual obligation" written all over it.

ROMhack

Still don't get the big thing about dishonored. I was really really disappointed after hearing so many good things.

Top Bottom