• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG24/7: 2 years in, the Xbox Series X/S still lacks even one killer exclusive

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Holy shit. Just stop. It's embarrassing.
It may be hard for you to grasp that people like different types of games but even if you discount flight sims validity as a game, you can't deny its quality as a sim, it's impressive scope, or the excellent support. World updates keep on coming at a steady pace, PC got a VR update, and there was also the Maverick update that added some unique challenges.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
It may be hard for you to grasp that people like different types of games but even if you discount flight sims validity as a game, you can't deny its quality as a sim, it's impressive scope, or the excellent support. World updates keep on coming at a steady pace, PC got a VR update, and there was also the Maverick update that added some unique challenges.
Great. Many games get years of support, but don't pretend an incredibly niche title is moving the needle at all. Enthusiasts have always flocked to Flight Simulator as it offers a low cost way to train. It does not count towards the hours required for a license but it is a great way to get used to flying without spending a ton of money. Learning to fly is really expensive.

And Spider-Man was still getting updates years after release as well. It's just that it is a single player game so steam charts are meaningless.

Topher

Gold Member
I’m PC only. If anything I always preferred Sony’s games.

But I’m also not blind to reality and will call it like I see it. That’s something fanboys can’t do.
The fact is that Sony does one style of game these days. If you weren’t around to see the Sony of the PS2 and PS3 eras then you wouldn’t understand. Back then Sony made games in all kinds of genres.

But that list is blind to reality when it leaves off games like Astro's Playroom, Sackboy, Destruction Allstars, and MLB. It is just a bullshit console warrior list. "Call it like I see it"

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
But that list is blind to reality when it leaves off games like Astro's Playroom, Sackboy, Destruction Allstars, and MLB. It is just a bullshit console warrior list. "Call it like I see it"
It's not too far off. Be honest.

S0ULZB0URNE

And yet Xbox Series continues to track better than last generation and offers tons of great value and new games for their customers. It's almost like they don't rely on exclusives and more on services and value. Multiple ways to be successful in this industry.
Didn't know thread was about sales comparisons.

poppabk

Great. Many games get years of support, but don't pretend an incredibly niche title is moving the needle at all. Enthusiasts have always flocked to Flight Simulator as it offers a low cost way to train. It does not count towards the hours required for a license but it is a great way to get used to flying without spending a ton of money. Learning to fly is really expensive.

And Spider-Man was still getting updates years after release as well. It's just that it is a single player game so steam charts are meaningless.
Flight sim has broader appeal than that - not Spiderman level obviously - but there is a casual user base as well as the people who spend $30 on a modeled airport or a specific plane and fly entire multi-hour flights from airport to airport. I have spent hours just flying the discovery flights over famous places of which there are now 43 different ones as of the Canada update.

Valedix

Gold Member
The majority of your physical discs can’t even be started without an online connection to download and install the actual game.

What a weird argument you’re trying to make. Your system is packed with DRM.
Coming from a console where you can't even setup without internet, please tell me these games you can't setup offline? Last I saw I can install most games offline granted none had multiplayer.

gothmog

Gold Member
Alongside the first party games, yes.
So why are you not mentioning Sony's subscription services in your argument? This seems to be a decent enough list of what they currently offer. Based on that list I would say Sony also offers a "variety in its catalog" as well when you count the games they rent for their service.

I was playing the "Give Me God of War" difficulty in GoW 2018 to get me ready for Ragnarok and I can tell you it is no "cookie cutter cinematic 3rd person action game".

gothmog

Gold Member
Flight sim has broader appeal than that - not Spiderman level obviously - but there is a casual user base as well as the people who spend $30 on a modeled airport or a specific plane and fly entire multi-hour flights from airport to airport. I have spent hours just flying the discovery flights over famous places of which there are now 43 different ones as of the Canada update.
I'm glad it's well supported. I have said nothing bad about the game so you do not have to convince me that there's value in it. I had it installed for a while so I could show friends and dink around with it. I would probably keep it installed on my Series X if it wasn't so large.

Didn't know thread was about sales comparisons.
Thread isn't about DRM either yet people are tossing it out as a knock against Xbox. You didn't mention that at all. Besides people seem to get excited when they here a company is selling well so it would appeal to those people too. It shows how meaningless this killer exclusive stuff really is on top of the article being wrong and all.

Topher

Gold Member
Too many people fail to understand that not everyone loves the cookie cutter "cinematic" 3rd person action games. Xbox offers a lot more variety in its catalog.

Calling Sony's first party games "cookie cutter" is a shallow take as it accounts for one or two attributes of the games (3rd person, high production values) and ignores everything else. God of War is a much different game than Horizon or The Last of US or Spider-man. But somehow all being third person makes them cookie cutter? Come on. That's as bad a take as the one in the article.

Everyone else has a variety.

Microsoft:
Battletoads: 2D Brawler
Killer Instinct : Fighting
Flight Simulator: Flight Sim
Minecraft: Sandbox/Crafting
Forza Series: Racing
Halo: FPS
State of Decay: Survival Horror
Minecraft Dungeons: ARPG
Ori: 2D Platformer

Sony
Gran Tusismo: Racing
Returnal: Action/Shooting
Ratchet and Clank: Action/Shooting
Spiderman: Cinematic Action
Days Gone: Cinematic Open World Action
Uncharted: Cinematic Action
The Last of Us: Cinematic Action
God of War: Cinematic Action
Horizon Zero Dawn: Cinematic Open World Action
The Order: Cinematic Action
You are a troll.
State of decay is survival horror and Last of us is not ?
Minecraft dungeon is Arpg? And horizons is cinematic open word? Horizons is Rpg in all senses.

Battle toads is a game that you put in a list? then playstation has the dual sense demo game with the robot...or the destruction no stars.
What is genshin impact then? Cinematic button smasher?

This kind of generalisation is trolling and boring. Expected only from kids who can't get over that the team they support is not good enough as the other teams.

Too many people fail to understand that not everyone loves the cookie cutter "cinematic" 3rd person action games. Xbox offers a lot more variety in its catalog.

There's a word for people like you.

Indigenous People Hawaii GIF by GIPHY News

S0ULZB0URNE

Thread isn't about DRM either yet people are tossing it out as a knock against Xbox. You didn't mention that at all. Besides people seem to get excited when they here a company is selling well so it would appeal to those people too. It shows how meaningless this killer exclusive stuff really is on top of the article being wrong and all.
I didn't see stuff about DRM m8 but that shouldn't be mentioned either.

Sales haven't dropped yet so they may not have a need to so far.

Crossgen has given Microsoft more time than they should have luckily for them.

Daytonabot

Banned
The Xbox One doesn't have a killer exclusive anymore either, unless you enjoy Carbie Dress Up Forza Motorsport 5. so this shouldn't be surprising.

In fairness, I couldn't be happier that Microsoft is consumer (and revenue) friendly enough have their games day and date on Steam.

Last edited:
This is thread is a perfect example of what is wrong with Xbox's 1st party situation.

Their fans just constantly make excuses for them, using many different angles to distract away from the actual issue.

This has been going on for YEARS.

It's fucking embarrassing.

Some of you seem to live in fantasy land. No one here is making excuses or saying it’s ok that MS had zero big 2022 games. Also it hasn’t been “years”. This is literally the first time in my history as an Xbox user that I can remember them having a release slate this barren. Maybe people like you would understand more if you used less hyperbole.

Many of us are understanding about it because we know what is going on. We also have literally no shortage of games to play thanks to GamePass. But really, we appreciate your concern. We’ll be ok.

XXL

Many of us are understanding about it because we know what is going on. We also have literally no shortage of games to play thanks to GamePass. But really, we appreciate your concern. We’ll be ok.
I have an Xbox Series X with Gampass, I also have a PS5 and a Switch. Wtf are you talking about? The Xbox exclusive situation has been this way for years.

Relax with the persecution complex.

Ozriel

M$FT
I have an Xbox Series X with Gampass, I also have a PS5 and a Switch. Wtf are you talking about? The Xbox exclusive situation has been this way for years.

Relax with the persecution complex.

Surely even you can understand why it's been that way for years.

And even you can understand why people are optimistic it's been resolved, long term. The 25+ first party studios aren't collecting pay just to make nothing.

Even you should understand why 2022 was barren for AAA...and that's because of content delays to 2023 that should result in a really really good year.

I think this is less about 'persecution complex' and more about puzzlement that you're failing to get something that's not exactly rocket science.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

He listed a bunch of PS4 games and Astro's Playroom? PlayStation has the edge because of GoW but still, it's on PS4. For exclusives the whole gen has sucked on both sides.

Kumomeme

they should already has one from beginning when the new console launch

but nowhere to see till today..

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Yeah, such a bad game... https://opencritic.com/game/13590/immortality

Woops it seems it scored as well as HFW
Yes let's pretend similar scores is a good metric to compare them as equal. They're entirely different games, especially when it comes to sales.

Horizon 5 scored roughly the same as GoW:R so that must mean if you like racing games you'd equally love GoW, I mean the scores are almost identical c'mon!

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

MSFS is an amazing achievement, but it's not a GoW:R or even Halo when it was actually good in terms of mass appeal. That is what people are talking about when they say things like "Xbox doesn't have any blockbuster AAA games!". Nobody is lining up outside Gamestop for MSFS on launch night.

Even Forza Horizon is an amazing game, one I'm still currently playing and is highly successful for Xbox but again it's not in the realm of GoW, Uncharted, old school Halo/Gears. They're severely lacking that mass appeal AAA game, they're hoping Starfield is it but honestly the fact they just bought exclusivity rights isn't exactly amazing on their part.

Everyone knows Microsoft has deep pockets, what they're lacking is a deep talent pool combined with poor leadership.

Last edited:

poppabk

MSFS is an amazing achievement, but it's not a GoW:R or even Halo when it was actually good in terms of mass appeal. That is what people are talking about when they say things like "Xbox doesn't have any blockbuster AAA games!". Nobody is lining up outside Gamestop for MSFS on launch night.

Even Forza Horizon is an amazing game, one I'm still currently playing and is highly successful for Xbox but again it's not in the realm of GoW, Uncharted, old school Halo/Gears. They're severely lacking that mass appeal AAA game, they're hoping Starfield is it but honestly the fact they just bought exclusivity rights isn't exactly amazing on their part.

Everyone knows Microsoft has deep pockets, what they're lacking is a deep talent pool combined with poor leadership.
So basically we are talking about 'event' games where people want to play it day one so they can be part of the zeitgeist. I'm not really interested in that part of gaming - not that I am not interested in the games, but I am not going to be playing them at the same time as everyone else, even if I bought day one it will be months before I finish them, long after everyone else has moved on.

Ozriel

M$FT

I’m not sure if it’s a comprehension issue, but the discussion was whether Xbox had any killer exclusives. Not whether or not these games had the mass appeal of Ragnarok.

The article cited games like Rift Apart and Returnal that are significantly less popular than even FH5. An even if Flight SIM is relatively niche, it’s an extremely high quality game that’s easily worth buying the console for.

They're severely lacking that mass appeal AAA game, they're hoping Starfield is it but honestly the fact they just bought exclusivity rights isn't exactly amazing on their part.

They didn’t ‘buy exclusivity rights’ for Starfield. They own Starfield. It’s a first party game. Surely even you should not get that wrong?

MS first party now boasts a deep talent pool, with some of the best devs in the business. and there’s certainly no indication that ‘poor leadership’ is a major issue at XGS. This just reads like standard issue console wars talking points.

onesvenus

Yes let's pretend similar scores is a good metric to compare them as equal. They're entirely different games, especially when it comes to sales.

Horizon 5 scored roughly the same as GoW:R so that must mean if you like racing games you'd equally love GoW, I mean the scores are almost identical c'mon!
Well they are not an indicator of your taste but they are surely an indicator of a game being good or bad

Not to mention aviation enthusiasts, training and even pilot licence hours can be logged etc.

I challenge anyone to sit with their partners, friends and kids to enjoy seeing the sights around the world in MS Flight while being straight faced that doesn't have the gaming senses of control, inputs, feedback, sense of wonder, exploration, technical tasks required, wonderful graphics/environments etc you want to show friends and experience yourself.

Jerm411

Everyone else has a variety.

Microsoft:
Battletoads: 2D Brawler
Killer Instinct : Fighting
Flight Simulator: Flight Sim
Minecraft: Sandbox/Crafting
Forza Series: Racing
Halo: FPS
State of Decay: Survival Horror
Minecraft Dungeons: ARPG
Ori: 2D Platformer

Sony
Gran Tusismo: Racing
Returnal: Action/Shooting
Ratchet and Clank: Action/Shooting
Spiderman: Cinematic Action
Days Gone: Cinematic Open World Action
Uncharted: Cinematic Action
The Last of Us: Cinematic Action
God of War: Cinematic Action
Horizon Zero Dawn: Cinematic Open World Action
The Order: Cinematic Action
I’m PC only. If anything I always preferred Sony’s games.

But I’m also not blind to reality and will call it like I see it. That’s something fanboys can’t do.
The fact is that Sony does one style of game these days. If you weren’t around to see the Sony of the PS2 and PS3 eras then you wouldn’t understand. Back then Sony made games in all kinds of genres.

the-office-steve-carell.gif

You just have to be patient.

They'll be plenty of huge third party games that already appear on Xbox becoming exclusive in the coming years, they'll be like London buses. Phil has gone out and spent $77.5 billion on them for you so that they don't appear on Playstation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom