• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG24/7: 2 years in, the Xbox Series X/S still lacks even one killer exclusive

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
This thread’s going to be interesting to return to in a year or two.

I like Sony’s games, but let’s be real; they’re the Burger King of publishers.

Huge appeal to the mainstream, and a menu full of variations of the same thing.

Not sure how it will be interesting when we are talking about different timeframes. Xbox having big exclusives in two years has nothing to do with now.
And Sony is the "Burger King" of publishers who only develops variations of the same thing? Examples?
Also if Sony is BK what does that make everyone else including MS??
smh....

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Fuck yeah! Master chief collection. Xbox and 360 games on my new xbox series x. Awesome. Who needs new games?

Xbox studios published 17 games between 2020 and now (incl. Pentiment). The "they don't have any games" rhetoric is tiresome but some folks have latched onto it for their dear lives.

2022 being devoid of bigger AAA games because bigger titles like Starfield and Redafll (and Motorsport) being pushed into 2023 has been very well documented but it seem some users have somehow retroactively turned it into a decade long trope.

🤷‍♂️

As much as the constant baggin' on Microsoft annoyed me last gen (PS4 chooser here), the reverse constant baggin' on Sony - acting as if Microsoft is gonna win this generation - somewhat irks me, they can't win with Game Pass alone, Halo is still fine but it isn't as big as it once was (though the Bungie half of the fanbase is dull to put with), there's nothing that looks anything Groundbreaking coming from MS on the level of per say GOW:R (not even a big GOW guy either), oh, Sony soldout to the SJWs you say? - i mean in due time, when profits fall hard - a company realizes what's wrong and somehow pulls a 180% to back in it's consumers's good graces - what about the next Final Fantasy that's supposed to come out next year that's directed by the person that made Final Fantasy XIV a huge success - MS aren't able to compete with that - Nintendo should have tried to work out a deal to get FFXIV working and released on The Switch, Dragon Quest 10 does, why not FFXIV also?

93xfan

Banned
Fuck yeah! Master chief collection. Xbox and 360 games on my new xbox series x. Awesome. Who needs new games? Sony should have supported ps3 games for eternity instead. It's no wonder xbox always lags behind Nintendo and playstation when it's main selling point is old games and bc. But its fine. By 2058, Microsoft will finally be releasing 1 AAA game per quarter after buying 500 studios.
Still the best MP around. actually it’s drastically better than it ever has been with the improvements in the collection.

I also don’t mind having classics like Metal Gear Solid 3, SSX3, Beyond Good and Evil, Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Lost Odyssey and so many more. Sucks we can’t all enjoy that.

Plus Gamepass. Easy to find stuff to play when you have that. It has made this gen so much less expensive.

93xfan

Banned
Xbox studios published 17 games between 2020 and now (incl. Pentiment). The "they don't have any games" rhetoric is tiresome but some folks have latched onto it for their dear lives.

2022 being devoid of bigger AAA games because bigger titles like Starfield and Redafll (and Motorsport) being pushed into 2023 has been very well documented but it seem some users have somehow retroactively turned it into a decade long trope.

🤷‍♂️
They know all too well the PS5 exclusives. At $70 for each of them, it must be a memorable purchase.

Jerm411

When you own both consoles so you can just come into these threads to watch the bullets fly….

vince-mcmahon.gif

Still the best MP around. actually it’s drastically better than it ever has been with the improvements in the collection.

I also don’t mind having classics like Metal Gear Solid 3, SSX3, Beyond Good and Evil, Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Lost Odyssey and so many more. Sucks we can’t all enjoy that.

Plus Gamepass. Easy to find stuff to play when you have that. It has made this gen so much less expensive.

It's nice features to have and credit to Microsoft for them but this is specifically about new high quality exclusive games. Surely you have to admit that they are lacking. That's all people are trying to point out. No need to get defensive over it.

🤷‍♂️

I see you mention 2021 alot. It was decent but name me and year before that where Microsoft had a good year with first party releases. Imo you would have to go pretty far back. You agree right?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I see you mention 2021 alot. It was decent but name me and year before that where Microsoft had a good year with first party releases. Imo you would have to go pretty far back. You agree right?

Not really, no.

Along with a lot of their first party games getting Series S|X patches the day it got launched, 2020 had the original Flight Sim release, Gears Tactics, Ori and Will of Wisps and some lesser known games like Tell me Why, AoE 3 remaster, Wasteland remastered, Minecraft Dungeons etc

2023, based on the games we know are coming out, is probably gonna be their strongest year in a while, yes that is for sure.

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
Last great game from Bethesda was Skyrim in 2011

I seriously hope that they still got it, but I dont know ...

MS betting all on Starfield success is risky af

You can be sure they have been given a blank check for Starfield development.
The game better be good....lol

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's nice features to have and credit to Microsoft for them but this is specifically about new high quality exclusive games. Surely you have to admit that they are lacking. That's all people are trying to point out. No need to get defensive over it.
They have had some amazing games recently AoE4, Flight Sim, Forza Horuzon 5 and they have been great in supporting them (especially FS2020) but sure this year has been lacking in significant exclusives. But I don't care about exclusivity, I would be happy for them to port all those games to PS5. The only time I care about exclusives is when they don't come to a platform that I was expecting to be able to play them on, like when GTA3 wasn't available on PC for 6 months.

93xfan

Banned
Fair enough. Some people do make it sound like there’s no reason to own an Xbox. I’ve had a blast with it personally.

Hugare

You can be sure they have been given a blank check for Starfield development.
The game better be good....lol
They also gave 343 a blank check, and how that turned out? Throwing money doesnt solve problems

I hope they deliver, because I want to play it. But as a Fallout fan, I've been burned by Bethesda twice in a row.

Last edited:
I like how the author of that article makes it a point to clarify just how understandable it is to have cross-gen games. Without going a single letter further, you knew exactly where they were going with it.

I almost feel this concern trolling has been ramped up this year (even though its been a terrible year for games anyway) because everyone knows its only a matter of time before their 30 studios start pumping out the games, and should be at a regular rate too the second half of the gen.
I wonder what the next thing to be 'concerned' about will be when that starts happening.
We’ll see. My question is will those games be any good though to justify the long wait though?

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
They also gave 343 a blank check, and how that turned out? Throwing money doesnt solve problems

I hope they deliver, because I want to play it. But as a Fallout fan, I've been burned by Bethesda twice in a row.

You're 100% right. I just want something truly exceptional to play on my Xbox.....lol

So we'd assume the "king of first party" Sony putting up Returnal as one of these killer exclusives right? So how did Forza Horizon 5 compare?

I recall articles like this one. I point this out to simply highlight the bias in the article/thread title, not console war. Forza since arriving on the scene in 2012 objectively refutes the claim xbox series X still lacks one killer exclusive. The game excels in a number of areas e.g. fun, graphics, technical prowess/performance, sales, MTX, MAU, brand recognition etc.

Forza Horizon 5 doesn't release until Tuesday, November 9, but that hasn’t stopped over a million players from purchasing the game to gain early access.

According to the game’s Hall of Fame leaderboard, over a million players have set times, which suggests that, just from early access sales alone, Forza Horizon 5 has already outsold Sony’s excellent PS5-exclusive, Returnal.

Forza Horizon 5 Surpasses 20 Million Player Accounts

Xbox has games, exclusives even, perhaps not ones Nintendo or Sony first party lovers consider system sellers but its library and quality bar are rising. Of course, PC get access to a great many Xbox titles through GP Ultimate.

I could post the same thread about MS Flight or Sea of Thieves. It's silly to think of Xbox consoles with exclusive games now anyhow, Xbox has near parity with PC/GP/BC which pushes things beyond just a game for a specific box brand.

Last edited:
As a 36 year old father of 2 toddlers, I bought series x only for gamepass did that gold and one dollar trick and was set for 3 years
On top of my head I would've never bought games like sniper elite 5 and plague tale on ps5 because those alone would've cost me more than the 3 years of gp that I bought.
70 dollars exclusives can kiss my asshole these are the games that I got for a 100 dollars, beat this value for money
Halo, flightsim, forza 5 , deathloop, psychonaughts 2, guardian of galaxy for less than 100 dollars.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
The great thing is that if they do deliver, this will be an incredibly replayable game that people will keep coming back to.

I’m hopeful
I'd rather the game be more memorable than replayable. I want to be wowed and then move on comparing that game to others for years to come. I'm really hoping it will be much better than a Skyrim in space.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
You have to admire the doctor's strange levels of reality twisting that some people are able to do in their minds to come up with some reality that enables them to sleep well at night.

Top Bottom