• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] The Last of Us Part 1 PS5 Frame Rate Test

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

The Last of Us Part 1 frame rate test showing the framerate/fps on PS5 in the 30fps, 40fps and 60fps modes.

The version tested was 1.001.000. The 40fps mode footage was captured at 1080p due to capture card limitations.

Timestamps:
00:00 - Performance Mode
15:07 - 40fps Fidelity Mode
30:16 - 30fps Fidelity Mode

PS5 in performance mode renders at a native resolution of 2560x1440.

PS5 in both fidelity modes renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160.

On a VRR display it is possible to unlock the performance and fidelity modes which allows the framerate to go above 60fps and 40fps respectively. This isn't shown in the video here due to capture card limitations.

PlatformsPerformance Mode40fps Fidelity Mode30fps Fidelity Mode
Frame Amounts
Game Frames542143435427122
Video Frames5436610892254379
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames000
Lowest Torn Line---
Frame Height216010802160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.71ms26.42ms33.42ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms25ms33.33ms
Maximum Frame Time33.33ms66.67ms66.67ms
Minimum Frame Time16.67ms25ms33.33ms
95th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms33.33ms
99th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms33.33ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate59.83fps37.85fps29.93fps
Median Frame Rate60fps40fps30fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps40fps30fps
Minimum Frame Rate50fps26fps26fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate59fps31fps29fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate53fps29fps29fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms54062 (99.72%)0 (0%)0 (0%)
25ms0 (0%)28721 (83.6%)0 (0%)
33.33ms152 (0.28%)5471 (15.93%)27033 (99.67%)
41.67ms0 (0%)116 (0.34%)0 (0%)
50ms0 (0%)31 (0.09%)43 (0.16%)
58.33ms0 (0%)11 (0.03%)0 (0%)
66.67ms0 (0%)4 (0.01%)46 (0.17%)
Other
Dropped Frames000
Runt Frames000
Runt Frame Thresholds20 rows20 rows20 rows

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's pretty crazy to me that it dips to the mid 30s even in the quieter sections. I thought DF said the drops only happen when you shoot a gun or get into combat.

I even saw it dip below 30 fps in one section. No idea what this studio is doing tbh. DRS wouldve helped here.

KojiPro saw that native 4k 60 fps was not locked during cutscenes and boss fights so they offered an 1800p 60 fps mode. Then offered a wider FOV but native 4k mode widescreen mode at a locked 60 fps. Played through all the game in that and loved every second. Just thinking outside the box. ND seems to be lagging behind other Sony studios at the moment. This is simply not good enough.

digdug2

I thought I saw some slowdown in the Bill's Town gameplay section that they released on YouTube. This confirms my suspicions.

modiz

We knew it already but yeah, another confirmation that this game sadly doesn't have a locked frame rate in any mode which is a shame.

GymWolf

This should have been 40 locked in fidelity mode.

I didn't even tried the performance mode since 4k is the major difference compared to tlou2 so playing at 1440p would be pretty meh.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Interested to see how this performs on PC. Aren't we still waiting on uncharted collection? They need to get these PC ports out ASAP.

//DEVIL//

What ? PS5 can't get the game at 4k 60 frames ? It's friggin last of us 2 engine.... Wtf how lazy this remake is ?

Jfc. Poor ass job at its best. If it's a real remake the graphics would have been much better. Just like Shadow of the Colossus was..but this is last of us 1 being ported to last of us 2 engine.

Not acceptable

Reactions: Rea

Fbh

The 40fps not being locked sucks, specially with VRR on Ps5 only kicking in from 48fps upwards.

Topher

Gold Member
What ? PS5 can't get the game at 4k 60 frames ? It's friggin last of us 2 engine.... Wtf how lazy this remake is ?

Jfc. Poor ass job at its best. If it's a real remake the graphics would have been much better. Just like Shadow of the Colossus was..but this is last of us 1 being ported to last of us 2 engine.

Not acceptable

The graphics look fantastic. And most games this gen are not native 4k so....what makes this game any different?

//DEVIL//

The graphics look fantastic. And most games this gen are not native 4k so....what makes this game any different?
Yes. Last of us 2 graphics are fantastic . I never said otherwise.

But when you get a free patch for games like god of war or GoT to run at 2k 60 frames it's fine. It's free you can't really say anything but ty.

But when you charge a 70$ full price and put the word remake not a remaster. You expect a game from the ground up on ps5 graphics. If it's not the case, put more effort on making the game 4k 60 frames when the game is running on the last of us 2 engine.

That's why I said not acceptable

Topher

Gold Member

But when you get a free patch for games like god of war or GoT to run at 2k 60 frames it's fine. It's free you can't really say anything but ty.

But when you charge a 70$ full price and put the word remake not a remaster. You expect a game from the ground up on ps5 graphics. If it's not the case, put more effort on making the game 4k 60 frames when the game is running on the last of us 2 engine.

Then just about every AAA game released on XSX and PS5 this gen is unacceptable because they do not run native 4K? I'm just saying....this ain't new.

SlimySnake

Yes. They've completely reworked every single asset, they didn't just port their code in the new engine and called it a day.
What? it is reusing the same assets from TLOU2. What was reworked was assets from TLOU1, but they reused the assets they created for TLOU2 and put them in this game.

The game has been analyzed by virtually every tech youtuber and no one was able to find any instances where this game looks better than TLOU2. Let alone having completely reworked assets.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Not acceptable

It's not about effort, the console is not powerful enough to run the game at 4K 60fps.

I don't know why the price tag has anything to do with it. It doesn't magically make the hardware better.

If you expect games from the ground graphically to run at 4k60fps on the PS5, then I have bad news for you: You're going to see a lot more sub 4K 60fps games going forward with a lot of image reconstruction techniques.

The game has a lot of high quality assets and that alone is going to make it harder to push native 4K.

Skifi28

You expect a game from the ground up on ps5 graphics. If it's not the case, put more effort on making the game 4k 60 frames when the game is running on the last of us 2 engine

They'd have to lower visual fidelity to reach 4k60 and then people would complain that the game's visuals are not good enough and it's just a res bump. Developers really can't win.

You need a 3070ti level of gpu for cutting edge visuals at 4k60 which the new consoles clearly don't have, it's been that way since launch and it ain't changing any time soon. People need to accept it.

//DEVIL//

Then just about every AAA game released on XSX and PS5 this gen is unacceptable because they do not run native 4K? I'm just saying....this ain't new.
I am not expecting a matrix demo to run 4k 60 frames on ps5.

And while the game graphically is impressive. It's impressive as a PS4 game.not a PS5 game.

PS5 can do much much better than this graphically. You will see soon soon enough the PS5 only games what they look like.

This game is being advertised as a remake not a remaster. So as a remake for a PS5 game if should either look much better, or what it's look like now but actually at 4k 60 frames.

This whole port is really is nothing but a scam. Once Sony start showing the real next gen games you will be like wtf last of us remake doesn't look as good as say spider man 2 or whatever they have next.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Not acceptable

Are we still analyzing resolution and framerate in a vacuum? The most powerful gpu would struggle at 480p/30fps if enough data computation is thrown at it.

The 40hz mode needs to played with VRR On. But ultimately they need DRS in their tools. They really need to modernize their engine

Trust me, the game is not great to play in the unlocked 120 Hz / 40 fps mode even with VRR enabled as the framerate is already so low that I can feel whenever it drops, especially below 35 fps. 30 and 40 fps modes really need be locked for non-VRR modes in my experience as they feel so much better with a consistent framerate. VRR works best at 60 fps and above and, of course, for "hiding" small dips below 60 fps such as in this game's Performance mode.

Naughty Dog need to learn how to add dynamic resolution scaling (DRS) to their engine because they definitely need it to smooth out those more obvious dips but for the majority of the time the game would run close to the set resolution so the changes in resolution would not be noticeable to most people, outside of a technical analysis like what Digital Foundry do. Quite why they don't use DRS is a mystery as they are a more than capable developer. Very odd.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What? it is reusing the same assets from TLOU2. What was reworked was assets from TLOU1, but they reused the assets they created for TLOU2 and put them in this game.
They didn't reuse the vast majority of assets from The Last of Us Part II when as far as graphical assets go.

The game has been analyzed by virtually every tech youtuber and no one was able to find any instances where this game looks better than TLOU2. Let alone having completely reworked assets.
Bald-faced lie.

"That's probably the biggest technical difference I noticed with the PS5 game is that just the asset quality is improved. The textures, materials, they're all seemingly higher resolution in general. They looked really good in The Last of Us Part II, but if you actually examine anything up close you can see the constraints of it being a PlayStation 4 game. Where here they definitely went nuts in terms of dialing up the overall granular detail of everything. And yeah, character models as well hold up very well under close scrutiny in a way that they don't quite - I mean they look really good in Part II mind you, but they now feel much more tied into the cinematics."

Play The Last of Us Part II and look at the draw distance. The foilage and character models look very low quality in many instances from afar this has been improved in The Last of Us Part II.

Your statement was completely false.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yes. They've completely reworked every single asset, they didn't just port their code in the new engine and called it a day.

Not true. There are a lot of assets that are lifted straight from TLOU2. Things like weapons (with some small color alterations), foliage, cars etc. Nothing wrong about it. After all, why would you remodel a perfectly fine rifle or taxi cab?

The new consoles are just not good enough for 4k60 in visually demanding titles, we've known that for a while now.

On that we agree. I still don't understand why Naughty Dog is so resistant to implement dynamic resolution in their titles. So bizarre. Their games are so heavy with post effects that it wouldn't even be noticeable.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The foilage and character models look very low quality in many instances from afar this has been improved in The Last of Us Part II.

Part I runs at 4k. Part II does not. I still find Part II more impressive thanks to bigger, better designed levels. What it needs is a native PS5 release. Or a PC port.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I am not expecting a matrix demo to run 4k 60 frames on ps5.

And while the game graphically is impressive. It's impressive as a PS4 game.not a PS5 game.

PS5 can do much much better than this graphically. You will see soon soon enough the PS5 only games what they look like.

This game is being advertised as a remake not a remaster. So as a remake for a PS5 game if should either look much better, or whatever it's look like now but actually at 4k 60 frames.

This whole port is really is nothing but a scam. Once Sony start showing the real next gen games you will be like wtf last of us remake doesn't look as good as say spider man 2 or whatever they have next.

And if those games are not native 4k 60? What then? Another "scam"? We've got nothing but scams this gen so far....

that 40fps mode is pretty much useless if you don't have VRR 😬 kinda weird that they implemented it tbh

It's useless even with VRR. It's need to be locked like other 40 fps games in my opinion.

Also, disappointing that the previous Remaster runs at 1800p and 60 fps versus 'just' 1440p and 60 fps in this new version. Sure, the new game is visually richer but it is still strange to see a newer version of a game running at a lower resolution than an older one.

//DEVIL//

And if those games are not native 4k 60? What then? Another "scam"? We've got nothing but scams this gen so far....
Those next gen games will look at least two times as good as the last of us remake. Of course it's not gonna be 4k 60 FPS .

This should be a 4k 60 frames.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Part I runs at 4k. Part II does not. I still find Part II more impressive thanks to bigger, better designed levels. What it needs is a native PS5 release. Or a PC port.
TLOU Part II Director's Cut is rumored. I'm hoping we see the same fidelity that we saw during the 2018 E3 demo.

With Part I having all these new features that weren't included in Part II, I would assume we're going to see them in Part II Director's Cut.

SlimySnake

Yep. If the PS4 can run TLOU2 at 1080p 30 fps then the 10 tflops PS5 should be able to get very close to native 4k 60 fps. Just like Death Stranding did. Dropping only in heavy cutscenes and boss fights with lots of particle effects.

The PS5 is roughly equivalent to a 2080 in standard rasterization. I had that GPU for years and I ran a lot of last gen games at native 4k 60 fps. Games that were designed around base PS4's specs at 1080p 30 fps. With the IPC gains, the PS5's 10.2 tflops GPU is roughly equivalent to a 16 tflops PS4 GPU. Paired with an 8x more powerful CPU, it should be able to run games at native 4k around 60 fps. The fact that this is is dipping below 35 fps at native 4k tells me that their engine is severely bottlenecked by something. This game was supposed to be their trial run to get familiar with PS5 architecture and yet the game has last gen loading, no DRS support, they didnt seem to have taken advantage of the faster PS5 CPU clocks and multithreading which is probably whats holding back the GPU because the computing power to render 6x to 8x more pixels per frame should be there.

The 1440p Uncharted 4 remaster made no sense to me because the 4.2 tflops Pro ran the game at 1440p. So a 3x more powerful GPU with a much more powerful CPU only gets them double the framerate at the same resolution?

Even if we assume the PS5 GPU isnt powerful enough to do a locked native 4k 40 fps let alone 60 fps for this particular game, why didnt they add an 1800p mode? Or use DRS? Insomniac is running next gen graphics at native 4k upto 50 fps with ray tracing in Ratchet. In their cross gen game, their fidelity mode with ray tracing does the same. Their performance mode without ray tracing is also native 4k 60 fps, and whenever it needs to drop frames, they simply use a lower resolution using DRS.

TLOU is a much smaller game with no open world to render. No fancy ray tracing effects. Most of the game takes place indoors unlike the sequel which took place in a large city that they let you traverse on a horse or boat. The levels in TLOU are tiny.

Topher

Gold Member
Those next gen games will look at least two times as good as the last of us remake. Of course it's not gonna be 4k 60 FPS .

This should be a 4k 60 frames.

And they will depend on upscaling and dynamic resolution just like the vast majority of games, including cross-gen, so far. And TLOU 1 looks graphically as good or better than just about every one of the games released this gen. Suddenly we have massive expectations for 4k 60 for this one game? Come on. That is just not realistic.

That's fine though. I'll agree to disagree.

Markio128

Are you guys arguing that this game does not look great visually?
Idiot GIF by Gordon Ramsay

Skifi28

Those next gen games will look at least two times as good as the last of us remake.

Perhaps, at a low resolution and 30fps. I think you overestimate what this hardware can do, the Matrix demo is a good indication of what we stand to lose for higher fidelity.

Top Bottom