• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Scorn Xbox Series X vs Xbox Series S Frame Rate Comparison

When the PS5|SX are doing 1440p on games, its perfectly in line that SS does 1080p on those kinds of games ..
Regularly 720p to 1080p in demanding games (with some kind of resolution scaling).

The box and\or advertisement used to say 1440p gaming on the Series S, MS sold the Series X as a true 4K gaming machine... lets not rationalize their failure for them, their initial marketing push was solely based on how powerful their hardware was to be compared to the competition.

The series S is great if you have a couch 12ft from your 720p 43" tv, or to shut the kids up when they beg for a new toy (until their friends make fun of them).

bbeach123

Regularly 720p to 1080p in demanding games (with some kind of resolution scaling).

The box and\or advertisement used to say 1440p gaming on the Series S, MS sold the Series X as a true 4K gaming machine... lets not rationalize their failure for them, their initial marketing push was solely based on how powerful their hardware was to be compared to the competition.

The series S is great if you have a couch 12ft from your 720p 43" tv, or to shut the kids up when they beg for a new toy (until their friends make fun of them).
Oh shit I almost forgot microsoft advertised the Series as a 1440p machine :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ViFLtDZ.jpg

rofif

Banned
Should have been 4k30 with pushed best graphics and motion blur for a game like that.
The whole game is about graphics and they push for 60? Foolish.
This is what pcmr push is doing

Games running at 720p or 900p with lowered details are common. If you had bothered reading this OP you'd know that scorn has worse shadows, many games have smaller texture sizes and if you had tried to play Elden Ring on a series S you would know how bad it can perform.

60fps at 720p on a "next gen"console it hot garbage in 2022.

Also, it was sold as a 1440p gaming device (something you would know had you red the box it originally shipped in).

#phil-lies-again
I didn't see you mention any content differences and this game is not available on last generation consoles so there is nothing to suggest the XSS isn't a current generation device.

As to your comments about the resolution, the XSS was always going to run games at lower resolutions. The XSX version is running at 1440p so I guess MS also 'lied' about that performance as well. Framerate is king regardless.

It is pure nonsense to assume all games on a platform will run at the highest advertised resolution but I'm pretty sure you know that seeing how every console this generation has games that run at less than the maximum possible resolution. I'll add it's pretty silly to hold the budget console to the highest graphical standards and give the far more expensive devices a pass.

#NonsenseNarratives

The XSX and XSS appear to be holding up quite well compared to the competition. I'm glad gamers of all budgets have options.

I didn't see you mention any content differences and this game is not available on last generation consoles so there is nothing to suggest the XSS isn't a current generation device.

As to your comments about the resolution, the XSS was always going to run games at lower resolutions. The XSX version is running at 1440p so I guess MS also 'lied' about that performance as well. Framerate is king regardless.

It is pure nonsense to assume all games on a platform will run at the highest advertised resolution but I'm pretty sure you know that seeing how every console this generation has games that run at less than the maximum possible resolution. I'll add it's pretty silly to hold the budget console to the highest graphical standards and give the far more expensive devices a pass.

#NonsenseNarratives

The XSX and XSS appear to be holding up quite well compared to the competition. I'm glad gamers of all budgets have options.

You are responding to something else. I point that if you get a series S there is a fair amount of games where it does not deliver anything close to acceptable resolution to be remotely considered "next gen".

Three fact that it does well in other games does not fix its failures (which are frequent enough to make people regret their purchase).

Also, even in this game, the resolution is so low that must be pretty hard to see the details.
Looking Jim Carrey GIF by Golden Globes

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
You are responding to something else. I point that if you get a series S there is a fair amount of games where it does not deliver anything close to acceptable resolution to be remotely considered "next gen".

Three fact that it does well in other games does not fix its failures (which are frequent enough to make people regret their purchase).

Also, even in this game, the resolution is so low that must be pretty hard to see the details.
Looking Jim Carrey GIF by Golden Globes
This resolution requirement that your are using as this arbitrary definition of what a "next gen" game is, is a weird hill to die on. The term "Next gen" in itself is a reference to contemporary hardware, graphical feature sets, and development paradigms.

I'm not sure if you have been following game development for very long, but one of the paradigm shifts going on in the industry is to internally render at lower resolutions and then upscaling before output. This focus on the quality vs quantity of pixels, and high refresh rates is almost universal. This is reflected not only in modern graphical techniques, but also in the graphics hardware being sold to consumers.

This resolution requirement that your are using as this arbitrary definition of what a "next gen" game is, is a weird hill to die on. The term "Next gen" in itself is a reference to contemporary hardware, graphical feature sets, and development paradigms.
Oh, believe me I'm not dying, nor am I on a hill... I'm just wondering why people are dead set on selling this overly expensive piece of garbage (if you add decent size memory card to it it costs as much as the series S.. and is more expensive than the PS5 digital).

They also often use lower quality textures and other misc settings (shadows and what not). Just make your own research, I'm not going on a bing of DF videos to win this argument.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Oh, believe me I'm not dying, nor am I on a hill... I'm just wondering why people are dead set on selling this overly expensive piece of garbage (if you add decent size memory card to it it costs as much as the series S.. and is more expensive than the PS5 digital).

They also often use lower quality textures and other misc settings (shadows and what not). Just make your own research, I'm not going on a bing of DF videos to win this argument.
Well by the looks of the way you are already moving the goalposts, I dont think you were going to win this argument anyhow.

Well by the looks of the way you are already moving the goalposts, I dont think you were going to win this argument anyhow.
Sure, well... I added some more.

What makes it a "next gen" console for you? the release date? what about the experience? just loading time are OK? because we had games with solid frame rates before, we had 1080p games since the PS3, etc.

So, lower quality graphics, lower resolution, etc. is what it is.... I have not moved goal posts, I responded to the points you brought. Resolution is just the tip of the iceberg, if you don't have one, go play to a friend's home who has one, you will see how sad it is.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Sure, well... I added some more.

What makes it a "next gen" console for you? the release date? what about the experience? just loading time are OK? because we had games with solid frame rates before, we had 1080p games since the PS3, etc.

So, lower quality graphics, lower resolution, etc. is what it is.... I have not moved goal posts, I responded to the points you brought. Resolution is just the tip of the iceberg, if you don't have one, go play to a friend's home who has one, you will see how sad it is.
I spelled out what next gen means in my original post to you, so you are welcome to go back and read it again. You are also misrepresenting my statements, which was expected tbh.

Top Bottom