• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech - Saints Row 3 remastered - PS5 vs Xbox SX/S

J_Gamer.exe

PS5 and Xbox Series X both use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3360x1890. Pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be common on both PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Xbox Series S in performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1080. Pixel counts seem to often be somewhere between the 2560x1440 and 1920x1080 on Xbox Series S in performance mode. The only resolution found on Xbox Series S in resolution mode was 2560x1440. Xbox Series S renders the UI at 3840x2160 in both modes.

Last edited:

Lysandros

PS5 and Xbox Series X both use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3360x1890. Pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be common on both PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Xbox Series S in performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1080. Pixel counts seem to often be somewhere between the 2560x1440 and 1920x1080 on Xbox Series S in performance mode. The only resolution found on Xbox Series S in resolution mode was 2560x1440. Xbox Series S renders the UI at 3840x2160 in both modes.

Perfectly locked at 60 FPS on PS5 apparently, XSX is very very close with some brief drop to 56 FPS. Very stable on both versions overall.

fQOx4GI.png

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

Perfectly locked at 60 FPS on PS5 apparently, XSX is very very close with some brief drop to 56 FPS. Very stable on both versions overall.
Yeah, interesting though why this seems to happen on some dynamic res games for xbox. Saying that mostly 4k pixel counts on both here apparently, does the series x fare worse when having to adjust resolution quickly?

From memory seems PS5 has come out on top from more games with dynamic res.

Maybe PS5 tools are just getting better also.... or an engine that favours PS5 setup.

Mithos

They should do something about those pre-rendered 30fps cutscenece though...
Can't they run them through some program and get it to 60fps and re-save?

That's something that bugs me with a lot of games. Having the gameplay at one framerate and the cinematics at another. Makes the transitions between them look really off.

GHG

Gold Member
Native or BC?

Edit: I only played the game a little on the One X. The performance was what bothered me the most about it. I'm happy to see its fixed on the PS5 and the Series consoles.

The native version just released allegedly.

I'd like to know if it makes use of the controller on the PS5.

It's on sale on the EGS as well at the moment but I'd rather not give Epic my money.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is EA Sports for 20 years. Although I havent tested any sports games on Series X to see if cut scenes are boosted.

You play the game and have tons of players, AI, online, physics etc.... the EA game runs at 60 fps.

It then shows a canned cut scene or a player or random fans with shitty animation. 30 fps. And even less sometimes.

Awesome game engine. lol

Lysandros

Yeah, interesting though why this seems to happen on some dynamic res games for xbox. Saying that mostly 4k pixel counts on both here apparently, does the series x fare worse when having to adjust resolution quickly?

Maybe PS5 tools are just getting better also.... or an engine that favours PS5 setup.
I also remarked that this happens more often than not. Well, PS5 is the more efficient, nimbler machine. Maybe the better/faster cache architecture leading to less cache misses has something to do with it.

elliot5

Performance looks good all around. The extremely rare dips on xsx may be the dynamic res not being aggressive though in edge cases?

Good that xss renders UI at 4K. All games should do that.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What's strange is I rember comments about last gen engines suiting the xbox series x more on twitter and some peeps around here but it always seems to be the last gen / cross gen games that see slightly better performance on ps5 but then newer games that launch day and date on both perform a bit better on xbox. Outlander, resi 8, hitman 3 etc.

Then you have games ported up like Tony hawk, crash 4 and now this where the ps5 performs better. Kinda random.

Basically, they are both close as fook.....

....but mandatory!

Another one!

Last edited:

elliot5

Another open world game that runs better on PS5 due to superior streaming tech.
Don't come in here saying that schlock. Streaming tech? It's a port of an old game and if you think THQ rewrote their engine for this idk what to tell you. It's likely due to PS5s higher clock speeds giving the stable framerate. But I'm not certain

Don't come in here saying that schlock. Streaming tech? It's a port of an old game and if you think THQ rewrote their engine for this idk what to tell you. It's likely due to PS5s higher clock speeds giving the stable framerate. But I'm not certain
It’s the same with AC and Immortals. Both are cross gen. Open world games require streaming since the PS2 days.

Performance looks good all around. The extremely rare dips on xsx may be the dynamic res not being aggressive though in edge cases?

Good that xss renders UI at 4K. All games should do that.
Maybe, but I doubt it. It happens during the biggest alpha effects seen (with the tank). We know PS5 has the edge here (already seen in Hitman 3 and AC Valhalla) because XSX has cut down ROPs and lower clocks.

1XSLVKs.jpg

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Maybe, but I doubt it. It happens during the biggest alpha effects seen (with the tank). We know PS5 has the edge here (already seen in Hitman 3 and AC Valhalla) because XSX has cut down ROPs and lower clocks.

1XSLVKs.jpg
That was not about alpha, but amount of geometry (or rather objects) which you can draw on the screen.

Unfortunately it isn't that easy. I believe their is software that interpolates frames, but I don't think they're all that great. Asking a piece of software to essentially create 30 other frames its a might task. But, I do think that with the way ML is moving, and how much companies are investing into it, we may get there sooner rather than later.

My guess would be that they'd have to go back into the original files. I don't know how it works with in-engine cinematics, I'm not sure if they have to go back and "re-render" the whole video.

On a last gen remaster none the less.

Sensational stuff. You love to see it.
Hey people seemed to think it signified the end of console gaming. I'm glad to see it meeting expectations over ruining console gaming. I guess it could be people were just being overly dramatic.

Pretty certain it's none of that. Series X simply isn't lowering res fast enough. It was even a problem on Gears 5 till they fixed the issue. It has something to do with problems relating to DLI, Dynamic Latency Input I think. Coalition managed to find and fix the issue.

Unk Adams

Banned
I'm just wondering why they decided to remaster this game again so soon. Judging by how quickly last year's remasters of this game dropped to bargain bin prices I can't imagine that many people asked for it.

Corndog

Banned
Pretty certain it's none of that. Series X simply isn't lowering res fast enough. It was even a problem on Gears 5 till they fixed the issue. It has something to do with problems relating to DLI, Dynamic Latency Input I think. Coalition managed to find and fix the issue.
Why would the controller latency affect dynamic resolution?

edit: also could the increased cu count on series x cause some of the problem? On ps5 it stays the same. On Xbox it goes from 40 to 52. Does this add any loss of efficiency without reworking some code?

Last edited:
Top Bottom