• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech - Saints Row 3 remastered - PS5 vs Xbox SX/S

Why would the controller latency affect dynamic resolution?

edit: also could the increased cu count on series x cause some of the problem? On ps5 it stays the same. On Xbox it goes from 40 to 52. Does this add any loss of efficiency without reworking some code?

Nope, the CU count isn't the reason imo. As to why controller latency code or changes would affect things like performance, it's new code, and with new code issues can crop up until they're solved. Issues were added with Series X updates that weren't even present on the original Xbox One X version of the game, but they've since been fixed. The same thing could be affecting other games.

Lysandros

XSX and PS5 have the same number of ROPs, it's the fillrate that's cutdown due to lower clocks.
As far i know PS5 and XSX ROPs are slightly different in architecture. XSX ROPS have less Z/Stencil ROPS per SE compared to PS5's (hence 'cutdown/smaller') . Thus it's very likely that PS5 has a modest (?) architectural advantage on top of speed in matter of pixel fill rate.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The overclocked RDNA1 machine that keeps giving...

Sadly the cutscenes shift is a big deal breaker... if they couldn’t do the cutscenes 60fps then the game should run at 30fps.

Last edited:

FranXico

I'm just wondering why they decided to remaster this game again so soon. Judging by how quickly last year's remasters of this game dropped to bargain bin prices I can't imagine that many people asked for it.
Must have been a very cheap port to make, low risk and some profit will come from it.

FranXico

Sadly the cutscenes shift is a big deal breaker... if they couldn’t do the cutscenes 60fps then the game should run at 30fps.
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Jaysen

Banned
If you actually watch the video, they both drop frames. Game still looks fun all these years later. Now resume your idiotic fanboy slap fight.

Maybe, but I doubt it. It happens during the biggest alpha effects seen (with the tank). We know PS5 has the edge here (already seen in Hitman 3 and AC Valhalla) because XSX has cut down ROPs and lower clocks.

1XSLVKs.jpg
A lot more going on on the right side.

People are 100% unironically celebrating a 0.08% difference in frame rate. You guys never disappoint :messenger_beaming:

Mr Moose

All over the damn place. Youd have to be blind to not see the bar dropping to green on both versions every now and then.
That's the Xbox version, and it's only a few sections.
Cutscenes have weird frame pacing on PS5, jumping to 31fps.

Last edited:

edit: also could the increased cu count on series x cause some of the problem? On ps5 it stays the same. On Xbox it goes from 40 to 52. Does this add any loss of efficiency without reworking some code?
The main problem is the (L1, L2) cache / CU ratio. Compared to PS5 the XSX CUs are cache starved.

With 52CUs XSX has as much L1 cache than PS5 (when it should have 44% more) and only 25% more L2 cache when it should have 44% more.

The XSX is also cache starved even compared to Xbox One X which explains the bad performance scaling in many BC games (compared to PS5 BC games that have mostly ideal 2-2.5x performance scaling).

Last edited:
The differences will be small this generation. As in, you will not be able to tell which version is which looking at side by side pictures, or watching an unlabelled comparison video.

Last edited:

Lysandros

Of course, with each additional CU/processor you loose a tiny bit of efficiency 'per CU', it's one the contributors of PS5's higher efficiency but i think the related cache amount to CU ratio is a more important factor especially with the higher bandwidth of those caches due to speed difference.

Lysandros

Yeah, interesting though why this seems to happen on some dynamic res games for xbox. Saying that mostly 4k pixel counts on both here apparently, does the series x fare worse when having to adjust resolution quickly?

From memory seems PS5 has come out on top from more games with dynamic res.

Maybe PS5 tools are just getting better also
.... or an engine that favours PS5 setup.
No, sadly Microsoft has full exclusivity for self improving tools for the entire generation. As a result Sony's tools are in sub zero state somewhere in the arctic. ;)

MrA

Banned
The differences will be small this generation. As in, you will not be able to tell which version is which looking at side by side pictures, or watching an unlabelled comparison video.
Yeah but those like 6 frames out of 10 minutes of gameplay or 10% resolution difference are real deal breakers, like how could you live knowing g the game you are playing is running so much better on other hardware, how could you sleep at night?
Personally I always enter these threads knowing 3 things, 1. Differences will be inconsequential 2. Mole hills will be mountains, 3 I'll get a laugh at the extremes posted

Top Bottom