• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[ VG Tech] Riders Republic PS5 & Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Test

MonarchJT

Banned
well they will use the "its a momentary dip, does not count" card whenever you say that, it is practically why I stopped going up against them. they cannot provide any solid evidence over my claims, yet they will keep using this excuse. just like how i claim that it mostly runs between 512p and 650p, but can't prove it either. but at least I can clearly see that image is nowhere near 720p, let alone 900-1080p. unless DF or VG tech manages to find a way to give us resolution averages over a healthy gameplay time (like 30 minutes), these discussions will never end or reach to a conclusion.

whichever video I've watched about it, the series s image always looked horrificly low resolution. none of the images I've seen cannot be anything above 600p. its unrealistic to expect anything above that either with only 20 RT cores and 20 CUs, whereas 52 CU+52 RT core SX is hardly pushing a 1080p-1200p average at 60 FPS

one funny fact is though, some of them came to believe that I'm a sony fanboy that loves his PS5, yet i never owned any PlayStation console ever, and I hate sony and their consoles and their franchises with a burning passion. on the other end of spectrum, I like sx, its capabilities, and its ecosystem. I don't hate series s either, i just call a spade a spade. i'd gladly use one, but i wouldn't gloat with it claiming its capable of 60 FPS RT GI, when the image is rendered at sub xbox 360 resolutions

I trusts that you aren't a Sony fanboy BUT clearly have no idea of how this things works

Last edited:
720p in a cross-gen game?

200w.gif
The XSS is the perfect next-gen console for those that still have 720p TVs or like to play on CRT.

No. I answered someone's question about whether this title is the lowest resolution game on Series S.

Which it isn't by quite a margin.
If you were that worried about derailment you wouldn't respond to slightly off topic posts. Darks was no more ot then the post you responded to. Only difference is one was shitting on the ss and other was not. I guess slightly ot is fine assuming it's just to shit on the ss.

MonarchJT

Banned
The XSS is the perfect next-gen console for those that still have 720p TVs or like to play on CRT.
if we say that we should admit with the same firmness that the PS5 is for those who have a 1080p TV since in most games upscales from resolutions below 4k (even if to a lesser extent the same would be true for the sx). So let's leave it as it is, both consoles are fine for what they do

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Hyperbole much? I have one for my 4K TV and games look great on it. But I also play docked Switch games so I’m not a resolution fanatical.

It all comes down to personal preference. I'm sure there are a ton of players with 70" 4k screens still rocking a base model X1S/PS4 and loving it. The XSS is a great value with any size screen.

I'm someone that is bothered by lower resolution on really large TVs (I can't bring myself to watch a DVD on a living room sized set, LOL), so for me the XSS is perfect on a smaller screen. I still feel like I have the freedom to choose the higher frame rate on a game by game basis, where on a big set I would feel limited to just the quality modes.

dcmk7

Banned
If you were that worried about derailment you wouldn't respond to slightly off topic posts. Darks was no more ot then the post you responded to. Only difference is one was shitting on the ss and other was not. I guess slightly ot is fine assuming it's just to shit on the ss.
Answering a question about Riders Republic performance.. in a thread about Riders Republic performance isn't a derail. Don't see why anyone would think that it. It just doesn't make any sense.

What other thread should people use when they want to question and compare Riders Republic resolution to other Series S titles? That was the question that was asked. It seems very related to this thread.

But if you don't think so, then maybe should start calling out the user who dared to ask that question? Rather than the person who answered.

I see this thread is still receiving posts on FH5. Yet you don't seem to have any issue with the derail that instigated that?

Last edited:
Answering a question about Riders Republic performance.. in a thread about Riders Republic performance isn't a derail. Don't see why anyone would think that it. It just doesn't make any sense.

What other thread should people use when they want to question and compare Riders Republic resolution to other Series S titles? That was the question that was asked. It seems very related to this thread.

But if you don't think so, then maybe should start calling out the user who dared to ask that question? Rather than the person who answered.

I see this thread is still receiving posts on FH5. Yet you don't seem to have any issue with the derail that instigated that?
Haha ok just keep playing dumb. That's cool. I don't give a shit about derailment. Never claimed to. I don't like pots who call the kettle black.

dcmk7

Banned
Haha ok just keep playing dumb. That's cool. I don't give a shit about derailment. Never claimed to. I don't like pots who call the kettle black.

Can't answer any of the points I made.. yet you still thing you're right? Bizarre.

I don't give a shit about derailment. Never claimed to
That's quite a backtrack.. not sure why you brought it up though tbh.

But no worries :messenger_peace:

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No vrr SHOULD not be required

but in REALITY IS required to get 100% smooth 60/120fps on console

So this is just how it is - this game plays better on xbox because of vrr

If the game is a smooth 60/120fps you don't need VRR. It's when it can't achieve the target framerate that it's useful. But then it's still not 60fps, it's just a smoother 55fps or whatever. VRR doesn't improve performance, it just makes poor performance less jarring.

I'm not saying VRR isn't good (my next TV will definitely support it), but with well optimized games it's not needed.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
If the game is a smooth 60/120fps you don't need VRR. It's when it can't achieve the target framerate that it's useful. But then it's still not 60fps, it's just a smoother 55fps or whatever. VRR doesn't improve performance, it just makes poor performance less jarring.

I'm not saying VRR isn't good (my next TV will definitely support it), but with well optimized games it's not needed.

Not many games are even a locked 60fps let alone 120fps, Gears 5 is one. VRR also removes tearing which this game seems to suffer from as well as framerate drops, you're going to get a lot better performance on Series consoles with VRR on this game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not many games are even a locked 60fps let alone 120fps, Gears 5 is one. VRR also removes tearing which this game seems to suffer from as well as framerate drops, you're going to get a lot better performance on Series consoles with VRR on this game.

Most games I've played on my PS5 so far have been locked at 60 (or have incredibly rare single frame drops). So it depends on what you play I guess. The games I'm referring to are mostly 1st party, and those are obviously better optimized than most 3rd party games.

Screen tearing happens BECAUSE OF framerate drops, they are not separate things. A game that maintains 60fps will never tear. A game that doesn't manage to render frames fast enough can either display unfinished frames (this causes screen tearing), or drop/delay them to the next screen refresh and only display full frames (this causes v-sync stutter). VRR lets frames be displayed when they're finished, avoiding both problems.

And yes, for this game VRR is obviously hugely beneficial. But only because the game is poorly optimized for the hardware it's running on.

Last edited:
Well all the questions I asked that you ignored..

All you basically said was 'i don't care - I never cared'. Which is quite a backtrack but it's all good.
Backtrack? Huh. Show me saying otherwise. It's ok when you can't. You have been changing the subject away from you being a bit of a shit head for blaming dark for derailment, when their post was no more of one then yours and a few others. You don't like the SS that's cool. Like or don't like whatever you please, but don't blame someone for something you and others did earlier in the same damn thread. That's my issue. Respond to that instead of just trying to change the subject. How was their post a derailment but yours and others were not?

Riky

$MSFT
Most games I've played on my PS5 so far have been locked at 60 (or have incredibly rare single frame drops). So it depends on what you play I guess. The games I'm referring to are mostly 1st party, and those are obviously better optimized than most 3rd party games.

Screen tearing happens BECAUSE OF framerate drops, they are not separate things. A game that maintains 60fps will never tear. A game that doesn't manage to render frames fast enough can either display unfinished frames (this causes screen tearing), or drop/delay them to the next screen refresh and only display full frames (this causes v-sync stutter). VRR lets frames be displayed when they're finished, avoiding both problems.

And yes, for this game VRR is obviously hugely beneficial. But only because the game is poorly optimized for the hardware is running on.
Don't worry I know exactly what VRR is, look at the game stats for this game and you can see why it's necessary.

if we say that we should admit with the same firmness that the PS5 is for those who have a 1080p TV since in most games upscales from resolutions below 4k (even if to a lesser extent the same would be true for the sx). So let's leave it as it is, both consoles are fine for what they do
True enough, I would not change this state of affair as far as resolutions are concerned with the specs of the two actual next-gen consoles.

We get faster loading times, better frame rates, more details and sometimes RT (going from the "pro" consoles).

VRR does not make performance better, it makes frame rate drops less apparent (which is fine with me). Maybe you meant VRS, which seems to be kind of moot unless you want to make secret sauce points.

I'd say that a lot of games are close enough to being locked that the discussion around VRR is pretty much uninteresting, depending on your choice of games. However this game seems to drop often enough.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Don't worry I know exactly what VRR is, look at the game stats for this game and you can see why it's necessary.

Yeah, but I'm saying it wouldn't be if the game was properly optimized. But I know that's a pipe dream with Ubisoft in particular.

dcmk7

Banned
Backtrack? Huh. Show me saying otherwise. It's ok when you can't. You have been changing the subject away from you being a bit of a shit head for blaming dark for derailment, when their post was no more of one then yours and a few others. You don't like the SS that's cool. Like or don't like whatever you please, but don't blame someone for something you and others did earlier in the same damn thread. That's my issue. Respond to that instead of just trying to change the subject. How was their post a derailment but yours and others were not?

I don't give a shit about derailment. Never claimed to.

Make up your mind, you don't care about the derailment or not? If you don't care why keep going on about it..

And as for the question you've asked, I've already answered this already for you bud, in a previous post:

Post in thread '[ VG Tech] Riders Republic PS5 & Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Test' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/vg-t...es-x-s-frame-rate-test.1623051/post-264988253

That explains the difference.. to recap: I answer a post about tech aspects of this game in relation to other titles.. and the other post brings FH5 into the thread leading to many users replying about FH5.

Maybe you can actually give me the courtesy of answering my points now? Rather than dance around them.

Last edited:
dcmk7 dcmk7

To reply you had to talk about other games, for dark to show their point they had to talk about other games. Same thing.

Again if we are comparing why can't we compare to games that run well?

Again, I don't care about derailment. I've never claimed to, yet you keep saying i do for some reason.

So again it's ok compare other games... When you do it? Not others though. Got it.

dcmk7

Banned
dcmk7 dcmk7

To reply you had to talk about other games, for dark to show their point they had to talk about other games. Same thing.

Again if we are comparing why can't we compare to games that run well?

Again, I don't care about derailment. I've never claimed to, yet you keep saying i do for some reason.

So again it's ok compare other games... When you do it? Not others though. Got it.
I respect that you went back and revisited my points. Most people usually keep circling around & moving goalposts.

However the posts and context were entirely different imo, I replied someones question, in the context of Riders Republic performance, whereas the other post was making unsubstantiated claims about third party studios and went further by making a weird claim about FH5 that triggered a lot of replies. In this very thread.

The fact that we are still getting posts about FH5 should indicate which one truly derailed this thread.

But at this point let's simply agree to disagree. Looks obvious that we are not going to get anywhere with this.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Whoever brought the 1x and forza into the discussion is the derailer. 3rd party games are far more relevant to this thread than 1 st party flagship titles with a huge incentive to maximize a consoles potential.
I respect that you went back and revisited my points. Most people usually keep circling around & moving goalposts.

However the posts and context were entirely different imo, I replied someones question, in the context of Riders Republic performance, whereas the other post was making unsubstantiated claims about third party studios and went further by making a weird claim about FH5 that triggered a lot of replies. In this very thread.

The fact that we are still getting posts about FH5 should indicate which one truly derailed this thread.

But at this point let's simply agree to disagree. Looks obvious that we are not going to get anywhere with this.
This is what happened with the darkmage post I quoted myself. I made a comment related to that thread and I brought up crossgen because he brought up FH5 and the 1x.

I think you are holding dark more accountable because you don't like them or agree with them.
There are lots of drive by shit posts in this thread, and they started with yours. I see no issue with someone taking offense to that and using other games as examples to counter these shit posts. I Find any offence from video game shit to be silly but that's another conversation.
You are correct though. I am quite stubborn and it's usually a waste of time to argue with me.

dcmk7

Banned
I think you are holding dark more accountable because you don't like them or agree with them.
There are lots of drive by shit posts in this thread, and they started with yours. I see no issue with someone taking offense to that and using other games as examples to counter these shit posts. I Find any offence from video game shit to be silly but that's another conversation.
You are correct though. I am quite stubborn and it's usually a waste of time to argue with me.

I feel have answered those points already, so naturally disagree with you there.

Except the part where you're stubborn.

Top Bottom