• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Returnal Frame Rate Test

jeffyjaixx

What does "as well as a console can be" even mean? Such a stupid statement coming from a guy who complained about dips to something like 58 fps in other games.
And yes, there are games that don't dip *at all*. This is not such a game.

It means if DF is happy with how Returnal hits its 60fps target, you should be too. In the end, the performance is great. Forget the numbers and focus on how the final picture looks.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"Locked" -> not locked
"Minor dips" -> goes down to 46 fps
jean yves drool GIF by Charlie Mars

I provided them using it in a sentence. That gives their definition. The only reason people say anything is not upscaling is because it used to have a negative connotation, but that is not the case anymore to anyone who is not an idiot Warrior. Upscaling is great, and has given great results for sometime now.

There is a clear evidence across the net what is definition of checkerboard rendering and Digital Foundry are just graphical and framerare analysts. DF is not "one and only". They can say many things in the articles. And analyst can be wrong many times even if definition of something says otherwise. Returnal DOES NOT use upscaling method, otherwise IQ would be a lot WORSE.

So, you basically calling others an idiot warriors despite clear evidence ( which me and others provided you many times) of checkerboard rendering definition. Thanks, Xbox fan

Last edited:
There is a clear evidence across the net what is definition of checkerboard rendering and Digital Foundry are just graphical and framerare analysts. DF is not "one and only". They can say many things in the articles. And analyst can be wrong many times even if definition of something says otherwise. Returnal DOES NOT use upscaling method, otherwise IQ would be a lot WORSE.

So, you basically calling others an idiot warriors despite clear evidence ( which me and others provided you many times) of checkerboard rendering definition. Thanks, Xbox fan
No.... Also we are arguing about the taa upscale. Not the checkerboard

Side note
The mods apparently agree with the people shitting on this game for 1080p.
Edit
Also your reading comprehension needs works. I called people shitting on upscaling idiot Warriors. Most of which in returnal threads are Xbox fans.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
Framerate was fine for me in the two first biomes unless I used certain alt fires against a set of enemies, in which case the framerate would tank hard briefly. Later biomes are definitely not as good, and I hope they continue to fix that in further updates. All in all though a really stellar game and visual spectacle.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Just goes to show nobody but Sony could put out a game like this. Most people don't even have 4k TVs so it makes no difference that the game is 1080p and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. The lower resolution means the framerate can stick at a varied 60fps and the game can have more effects etc on screen at one time. Bold game design. Dare I say even bolder than GOTY The Last of Us Part 2.

Poppyseed

It means if DF is happy with how Returnal hits its 60fps target, you should be too. In the end, the performance is great. Forget the numbers and focus on how the final picture looks.

As far as 60fps games go, I’d say it’s 95% great. There are occasional minor hitches, and at times when quite a few enemies explode simultaneously it can drop way below this number. I was hoping for a locked 60, but unfortunately it’s not. While it’s noticeable when the frame-rate tanks, it’s certainly only brief as fights don’t last too awfully long.

Game is crazy addictive…

bargeparty

Mostly solid for me, however biome 4 definitely has dips, no idea how low, but you can feel it. Too much shit going on, foliage, particles, alpha effects, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom