• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Vg Tech] Resident Evil 2 Remake PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update)

If you look at a certain angle the SSR doesn't show as much, but it is there and it is ugly. Not sure why anyone would want to see that crap.
RESIDENTEVIL22022062.jpg
I suppose it is less an issue in this game where the SSR was so bad already:p

Kuranghi

I wish you could pick rendering res on consoles so you can lower it and lock down framerates in games with a massive delta like this, I did the same on PC, I love the cutscenes in this game it really takes me out of it when it goes down to fucking 35 fps in the cutscene suddenly when the gameplay was locked 60, if there isn't DRS then I'd rather lock it down. I don't want to think about framerates when playing a game, I want it locked so I can focus on getting immersed.

More realistically there should just be a 30fps lock setting for people that don't want unstable framerates, like the way Infamous 3 does it, you get to a choice of two rendering res's and the ability to lock to 30fps, best way imo.

Mr Moose

I wish you could pick rendering res on consoles so you can lower it and lock down framerates in games with a massive delta like this, I did the same on PC, I love the cutscenes in this game it really takes me out of it when it goes down to fucking 35 fps in the cutscene suddenly when the gameplay was locked 60, if there isn't DRS then I'd rather lock it down. I don't want to think about framerates when playing a game, I want it locked so I can focus on getting immersed.

More realistically there should just be a 30fps lock setting for people that don't want unstable framerates, like the way Infamous 3 does it, you get to a choice of two rendering res's and the ability to lock to 30fps, best way imo.
RT off + HFR off = locked 60 on PS5/Series X and almost locked on Series S (4k-ish PS5 & Series X/1440p-ish Series S).
Also, improved AO with a slightly higher res (compared to the HFR mode).
9f8RESIDENTEVIL22022061.jpg

b8eRESIDENTEVIL22022061.jpg

Last edited:

It's hard to imagine that image quality of rt mode couldn't match the ps4 pro version even with a reduced resolution given that the checkerboard rendering method on PS5 is superior. Or just use a temporal upscaler.

Kuranghi

RT off + HFR off = locked 60 on PS5/Series X and almost locked on Series S (4k-ish PS5 & Series X/1440p-ish Series S).

Yeah totally, but I can play at native 1440p on PC (with SSR and DoF off) without RT and it runs at locked 60 so its no different to what I already experienced years ago. I would prefer if I could lock down the fps to 30 or 60 on console by locking to 30 or lowering rendering res. Its stupid thinking though, its a console, I will just wait until I get a 4080 to replay it at 4K60 with RT.

Some posters should really think twice about questioning the "intent" of others.

whoopi goldberg shrug GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

I mean I know the poster is a PlayStation fan but what he said is basically just commenting on the data that VGs gave us. It wasn’t like he was trying to manipulate to completely favor one system over the other he just stated what he saw in the data. I guess since there was something positive for the PS5 he felt the need to highlight it due to that being his preferred platform. But he wasn’t manipulative or disrespectful with that so I really don’t see it as console warring.

assurdum

Banned
One is from PS5 and one is from SX.

My point is that they're virtually identical. Maybe that marble statue has some difference in AA coverage, but it's not something that extends to literally anywhere else in the game. We've seen enough comparisons to come to that conclusion now.
It's literally impossible to see difference in IQ in such picture because "wrong"; too much low contrast, darker and shaders and geometry don't exhibit any kind of edges.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some posters should really think twice about questioning the "intent" of others.

I mean I know the poster is a PlayStation fan but what he said is basically just commenting on the data that VGs gave us. It wasn’t like he was trying to manipulate to completely favor one system over the other he just stated what he saw in the data. I guess since there was something positive for the PS5 he felt the need to highlight it due to that being his preferred platform. But he wasn’t manipulative or disrespectful with that so I really don’t see it as console warring.

angry-mad.gif

Y'all get a room.

Also, improved AO with a slightly higher res (compared to the HFR mode).

If I'm not mistaken, the shadow quality also takes a hit in the HFR mode.

It's literally impossible to see difference in IQ in such picture because "wrong"; too much low contrast, darker and shaders and geometry don't exhibit any kind of edges.

If you can find any place where there is a difference in IQ barring the marble statue at 400%, I'll welcome it.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

If I'm not mistaken, the shadow quality also takes a hit in the HFR mode.
Yeah they look slightly darker in the 60fps mode. DF couldn't tell the difference between the modes and said they were the same settings.
boo-boo-this-man.gif

I thought it was blind ass Tom but it's the new guy? He's been wrong a few times already.

Last edited:

adamsapple

You are the guy wanting to question intentions. What about yours? Do not think you want to go down that road.

No, but I'm not the one trying to spin a drop of just 2 reported frames out of 20k+ as a 'fun fact'. It's a spin and bait and unfortunately we fell for it, hence talking about it more than the actual content of the video itself.

Yeah they look slightly darker in the 60fps mode. DF couldn't tell the difference between the modes and said they were the same settings.

I thought it was blind ass Tom but it's the new guy? He's been wrong a few times already.

I wish VGtech took more sample pictures from it from other locations, even in the picture they have, it doesn't look like HFR completely removes AO, but reduces its quailty and only applies to selective edges. Which is an option in the PC version of the game as well. Yes, still a 'downgrade', but to my eyes it doesn't look like completely turning it off.

Last edited:
No, but I'm not the one trying to spin a drop of just 2 reported frames out of 20k+ as a 'fun fact'. It's a spin and bait and unfortunately we fell for it, hence talking about it more than the actual content of the video itself.

I don’t know where your getting that it only drops to the minimums 2 times. Maybe an explanation would help?

I’m just not sure how to see that from the stats that are given.

adamsapple

I don’t know where your getting that it only drops to the minimums 2 times. Maybe an explanation would help?

I’m just not sure how to see that from the stats that are given.

It's the frame counts, there are 2 reported frames in the 83.33 ms range, which is the lowest range, i-e where the biggest drop happened on SX, the drop to 18 FPS. But, again, it's just 2 frames.

Hopefully this makes it clear.

83.33ms0 (0%)2 (0.01%)

You can see the series s an even worse frame count drop, but its just a single frame, but its still 1 frame that reads as a 13 FPS reading on the Series S chart.

116.67ms0 (0%)0 (0%)1 (0.01%)

Last edited:

adamsapple

Don't blame anyone other than yourself for making a big deal over his completely innocuous statement.

I've already posted the numerical data above why it's a disingenuous post, you can choose to read it as innocuous or uninformative or malicious however you want. That's about all I'm going to discuss on this matter, though I hope to see you show this level of enthusiasm in defending other people from being commented on in other threads too now.

Mr Moose

I wish VGtech took more sample pictures from it from other locations, even in the picture they have, it doesn't look like HFR completely removes AO, but reduces its quailty and only applies to selective edges. Which is an option in the PC version of the game as well. Yes, still a 'downgrade', but to my eyes it doesn't look like completely turning it off.
Yeah it looks like it still has AO, just a lesser version of the AO from the 60fps version (and slightly blurrier image overall in the HFR mode), considering the fps it's pretty good still.
We notice it, the guy from DF apparently doesn't.
(I only have a few pics to show the difference, this is one of them near the start of the game)

Zuzu

Pro consoles will clean these performance problems up when they release 😉🙃

Last edited:

adamsapple

Yeah it looks like it still has AO, just a lesser version of the AO from the 60fps version (and slightly blurrier image overall in the HFR mode), considering the fps it's pretty good still.
We notice it, the guy from DF apparently doesn't.
(I only have a few pics to show the difference, this is one of them near the start of the game)

I'm gonna be honest, 99% of the folks are probably not gonna be able to tell the 2 apart, especially in motion, but they will definitely notice the smoother response and camera movements of the 120hz mode.

The patch is fantastic. I can understand it doesn't scratch Alex's PC itch, but for the console folks, it's a pretty good upgrade. Especially if you have a VRR display.

omegasc

could it be something to do with the extra frames? I don't know how their AO solution works, but I honestly don't think they needed to change anything to keep HFR mode above 60, since RT OFF/HFR OFF is already flawless 60.

It's the frame counts, there are 2 reported frames in the 83.33 ms range, which is the lowest range, i-e where the biggest drop happened on SX, the drop to 18 FPS. But, again, it's just 2 frames.

Hopefully this makes it clear.

83.33ms0 (0%)2 (0.01%)

You can see the series s an even worse frame count drop, but its just a single frame, but its still 1 frame that reads as a 13 FPS reading on the Series S chart.

116.67ms0 (0%)0 (0%)1 (0.01%)

I would say that it’s pretty much insignificant just like the other differences in the comparison. Doesn’t mean that it isn’t true though.

My personal opinion is that nobody is really going to notice the performance differences. However the game should have a higher average FPS on both platforms. Maybe Capcom can do some additional tweaking to help improve it. Luckily once you turn off RT it performs much better.

Topher

Gold Member
I've already posted the numerical data above why it's a disingenuous post, you can choose to read it as innocuous or uninformative or malicious however you want. That's about all I'm going to discuss on this matter, though I hope to see you show this level of enthusiasm in defending other people from being commented on in other threads too now.

Then use data next time from the beginning rather than making it about intent. You, of all people, have no right to call out intent.

Then use data next time from the beginning rather than making it about intent. You, of all people, have no right to call out intent.

Honestly I think this is a great point. Instead of calling someone out to be a fanboy and bring in console warring it’s better to disprove their point with hard facts.

Which you did later on adamsapple adamsapple but next time try to let it be the first thing that you do. I do appreciate a good explanation and not just a pointing of fingers. It makes for a better discussion in my opinion.

No offense meant btw.

Mr Moose

I'm gonna be honest, 99% of the folks are probably not gonna be able to tell the 2 apart, especially in motion, but they will definitely notice the smoother response and camera movements of the 120hz mode.

The patch is fantastic. I can understand it doesn't scratch Alex's PC itch, but for the console folks, it's a pretty good upgrade. Especially if you have a VRR display.
I've played it more with this next gen native update than I did at launch on PS4 (pro). Fuck the RT mode though, it just does not feel good to play.
Looks like RT could be the option to choose with 7, though.

adamsapple

Then use data next time from the beginning
Honestly I think this is a great point. Instead of calling someone out to be a fanboy and bring in console warring it’s better to disprove their point with hard facts.

The data is in the OP, I shouldn't have to point it out separately like this guys :messenger_tears_of_joy:

wU7ZHZO.jpg

I'll remember for future reference.

I've played it more with this next gen native update than I did at launch on PS4 (pro). Fuck the RT mode though, it just does not feel good to play.
Looks like RT could be the option to choose with 7, though.

I'm enjoying the RT mode in both 2 and 3 a lot, haven't tried 7 with the patch yet.

This is one of those cases where VRR is really saving the bacon, yes there are still some drops below the VRR range but for the majority of run time any drops that occur, fall within the safe zone. So the response doesn't suffer.

Honestly, just fixing the jank ass SSR is a massive improvement for the RT mode that I can't live without anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom