• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Vg Tech] Resident Evil 2 Remake PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update)

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

The versions tested were 1.000.001 on PS5 and 2.0.0.0 on the Xbox Series consoles. The 120fps footage here was captured at 1080p.

Timestamps:
00:00 - High Frame Rate Mode Off, Ray Tracing On
07:30 - High Frame Rate Mode On, Ray Tracing Off
14:59 - High Frame Rate Mode Off, Ray
Tracing Off

Resident Evil 2 on PS5 and the Xbox Series consoles has two graphical settings: High Frame Rate Mode and Ray Tracing. The High Frame Rate Mode and Ray Tracing can't be enabled at the same time, so there are three different modes available.

All three consoles in all modes appear to use a form of checkerboard rendering to reach their stated resolutions.

PS5 and Xbox Series X with the High Frame Rate Mode disabled render at a resolution of 3840x2160. PS5 and Xbox Series X with the High Frame Rate Mode enabled render at a resolution of approximately 3712x2088.

Xbox Series S with High Frame Rate Mode disabled renders at a resolution of 2560x1440.

Xbox Series S with High Frame Rate Mode enabled renders at a resolution of approximately 2069x1164.

The High Frame Rate Mode disables ambient occlusion on all three consoles https://bit.ly/3Ot2Tqk

The ray tracing used here seems to be a form of RT GI and RT Reflections.

PlatformsPS5Xbox Series XXbox Series S
Frame Amounts
Game Frames220712277617636
Video Frames269412694126942
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames000
Lowest Torn Line---
Frame Height216021602160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time20.34ms19.71ms25.46ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms33.33ms
Maximum Frame Time66.67ms83.33ms116.67ms
Minimum Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
95th Percentile Frame Time33.33ms33.33ms33.33ms
99th Percentile Frame Time33.33ms33.33ms50ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate49.14fps50.71fps39.25fps
Median Frame Rate49fps51fps39fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps57fps
Minimum Frame Rate24fps18fps13fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate39fps39fps29fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate33fps33fps24fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms17235 (78.09%)18666 (81.95%)8562 (48.55%)
33.33ms4803 (21.76%)4063 (17.84%)8877 (50.33%)
50ms32 (0.14%)41 (0.18%)171 (0.97%)
66.67ms1 (0%)4 (0.02%)19 (0.11%)
83.33ms0 (0%)2 (0.01%)6 (0.03%)
116.67ms0 (0%)0 (0%)1 (0.01%)
Other
Dropped Frames000
Runt Frames000
Runt Frame Thresholds20 rows20 rows20 rows
Not the same scenes as the PS4 and Xbox One comparison

Bo_Hazem

Banned
dj khaled celebs GIF

Not for PS users though, as image quality is night and day in all modes compared to Pro version.

Much better IQ, substantially improved load times and DualSense features, all for free.
Hmm well I just watched the PC DF video and Alex says the same applies to PS5..

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
DJ Khaled.gif

Arioco Arioco aye man looks like we ain't blind after all :messenger_winking_tongue:

3 different sources have compared and none of them have mentioned anything about it.

Last edited:
Not for PS users though, as image quality is night and day in all modes compared to Pro version.

Much better IQ, substantially improved load times and DualSense features, all for free.
Nope check the PC DF thread here, the patch is worse on PS5.

Mr Moose

DJ Khaled.gif

Arioco Arioco aye man looks like we ain't blind after all :messenger_winking_tongue:

3 different sources have compared and none of them have mentioned anything about it.
To be fair, DF are absolutely blind lol, they said they have the same settings and res between the modes, they do not.

You would have to directly compare them to notice it and it seems to be mostly on shiny things from what I can see.

You can see it here on the stairs ramp thing, it has a slight shimmer on Series X and slightly more on Series S (watch full screen @ 4k).

Last edited:
Eh, it completely fixes the SSR artifacts the game has.

It works as it should, the only issue with performance is capcom's insistence on keeping native 4K.
OP says that the output is checkerborded in all modes, so not really native 4K. I guess trying to introduce some form of variable scaling to the checkerboarded images resulted in a too evident degradetion to the picture

Vick

Gold Member
Nope check the PC DF thread here, the patch is worse on PS5.
I don't need to check the Thread, i have hundreds of hours of RE2 on Pro and tried the patch myself.

With RT Off, the game now compared to the previous backward compatible version offers much improved IQ at much higher resolution and completely resolved shimmering and edge aliasing issues, load times went from 30+ seconds to 3 at worse, and features DualSense support.

Lysandros

The versions tested were 1.000.001 on PS5 and 2.0.0.0 on the Xbox Series consoles. The 120fps footage here was captured at 1080p.

Timestamps:
00:00 - High Frame Rate Mode Off, Ray Tracing On
07:30 - High Frame Rate Mode On, Ray Tracing Off
14:59 - High Frame Rate Mode Off, Ray
Tracing Off

Resident Evil 2 on PS5 and the Xbox Series consoles has two graphical settings: High Frame Rate Mode and Ray Tracing. The High Frame Rate Mode and Ray Tracing can't be enabled at the same time, so there are three different modes available.

All three consoles in all modes appear to use a form of checkerboard rendering to reach their stated resolutions.

PS5 and Xbox Series X with the High Frame Rate Mode disabled render at a resolution of 3840x2160. PS5 and Xbox Series X with the High Frame Rate Mode enabled render at a resolution of approximately 3712x2088.

Xbox Series S with High Frame Rate Mode disabled renders at a resolution of 2560x1440.

Xbox Series S with High Frame Rate Mode enabled renders at a resolution of approximately 2069x1164.

The High Frame Rate Mode disables ambient occlusion on all three consoles https://bit.ly/3Ot2Tqk

The ray tracing used here seems to be a form of RT GI and RT Reflections.

PlatformsPS5Xbox Series XXbox Series S
Frame Amounts
Game Frames220712277617636
Video Frames269412694126942
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames000
Lowest Torn Line---
Frame Height216021602160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time20.34ms19.71ms25.46ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms33.33ms
Maximum Frame Time66.67ms83.33ms116.67ms
Minimum Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
95th Percentile Frame Time33.33ms33.33ms33.33ms
99th Percentile Frame Time33.33ms33.33ms50ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate49.14fps50.71fps39.25fps
Median Frame Rate49fps51fps39fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps57fps
Minimum Frame Rate24fps18fps13fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate39fps39fps29fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate33fps33fps24fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms17235 (78.09%)18666 (81.95%)8562 (48.55%)
33.33ms4803 (21.76%)4063 (17.84%)8877 (50.33%)
50ms32 (0.14%)41 (0.18%)171 (0.97%)
66.67ms1 (0%)4 (0.02%)19 (0.11%)
83.33ms0 (0%)2 (0.01%)6 (0.03%)
116.67ms0 (0%)0 (0%)1 (0.01%)
Other
Dropped Frames000
Runt Frames000
Runt Frame Thresholds20 rows20 rows20 rows
Not the same scenes as the PS4 and Xbox One comparison

Funny that XSX has ~3% higher average FPS but it still drops ~25% lower than PS5 in minimums. Identical otherwise, even in percentiles.

I don't need to check the Thread, i have hundreds of hours of RE2 on Pro and tried the patch myself.

With RT Off, the game now compared to the previous backward compatible version offers much improved IQ at much higher resolution and completely resolved shimmering and edge aliasing issues, load times went from 30+ seconds to 3 at worse, and features DualSense support.
But it's missing SSR vs. the pro release and ssao apparently. Alex confirms it.. when using the non rt mode.

adamsapple

Funny that XSX has ~3% higher average FPS but it still drops ~25% lower than PS5 in minimums. Identical otherwise, even in percentiles.

Yes, math can seem funny if you don't have an understanding of how averages work (y)
You can see it here on the stairs ramp thing, it has a slight shimmer on Series X and slightly more on Series S (watch full screen @ 4k).

This example is even more difficult to discern than the marble statue, which i said before was possibly a difference in AA coverage anyway. In your example, it's also raining so the rain fall effect could be that 'shimmer' you're seeing (I can't honestly).

Can you tell which one is which, this is a well lit area:

FVjBX08WAAEtw2N

FVjBX09XwAEtoT_

assurdum

Banned
DJ Khaled.gif

I mean we are passed to defensiveness claim about TAA was too much aggressive on ps5 from some users in this forum, to denies even any existence of IQ differences because 3 youtube channel not mention it. Wow.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Yes, math can seem funny if you don't have an understanding of how averages work (y)

This example is even more difficult to discern than the marble statue, which i said before was possibly a difference in AA coverage anyway. In your example, it's also raining so the rain fall effect could be that 'shimmer' you're seeing (I can't honestly).

FVjBX08WAAEtw2N

FVjBX09XwAEtoT_
They seems both Series S looking at the pixelated reflections

Mr Moose

FVjBX08WAAEtw2N

FVjBX09XwAEtoT_
The big pink line looks nasty, the darker image on the top one hides the blocky ass reflections a bit more. Can't see shimmering in images, though.
Why isn't there a CA toggle :messenger_weary:
It's low quality RT reflections.

Last edited:

adamsapple

One is from PS5 and one is from SX.

My point is that they're virtually identical. Maybe that marble statue has some difference in AA coverage, but it's not something that extends to literally anywhere else in the game. We've seen enough comparisons to come to that conclusion now.

Last edited:

omegasc

One is from PS5 and one is from SX.

My point is that they're virtually identical. Maybe that marble statue has some difference in AA coverage, but it's not something that extends to literally anywhere else in the game. We've seen enough comparisons to come to that conclusion now.
I'd say top is PS5 and bottom XSX. Lighting seem a little different, though, and I did not zoom 400% to give it a fair try. People are overblowing this, as usual. If it drops one frame, the game is crap. If there's a single effect that is bugging in a particular way the char looks, it's now unplayable. Come on...

edit: let me know if I got it right. I am curious now lol

Last edited:

adamsapple

I'd say top is PS5 and bottom XSX. Lighting seem a little different, though, and I did not zoom 400% to give it a fair try. People are overblowing this, as usual. If it drops one frame, the game is crap. If there's a single effect that is bugging in a particular way the char looks, it's now unplayable. Come on...

edit: let me know if I got it right. I am curious now lol

The top one is Xbox, the bottom one with the pink line is PS5. This was from NXGamer's twitter, he was asking people to find the difference as well. The responses were extremely mixed.

I don't know if the pink line is an artifact in the game itself or if that's something NXG added to be able to tell which version is which.

Why the snarky reply? Lysandros Lysandros made a valid observation. XSX has higher average but larger drops.

Toph, come on, we both know what the intention behind that post was.

omegasc

The top one is Xbox, the bottom one with the pink line is PS5. This was from NXGamer's twitter, he was asking people to find the difference as well. The responses were extremely mixed.

I don't know if the pink line is an artifact in the game itself or if that's something NXG added to be able to tell which version is which.

Toph, come on, we both know what the intention behind that post was.
I looked at the banner to the right and it seems "softer" on the top one and went with it lol.
I agree the game looks the same overall, with that statue screenshot being a corner case. I went with the 120 fps mode on PS5, though, as I was switching modes and when I got to High Framerate I didn't feel any need to go back. I like the haptics better than the RT in this game, to be honest.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

FVjBX08WAAEtw2N

FVjBX09XwAEtoT_
Is the top one PS5? Bottom XSX?
They both from the same console?
The bottom one is the Switch?
Is that what you're asking?

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Seems like the higher frequency gpu in the ps5 is offering that extra bit of raw speed to push up performance on the lows while the overall wider power of the series x is offering a very slightly higher average performance across the broader time of play.

Imo it seems like they are more or less a wash across the board. Both boxes showing their strengths in respective areas and if you had a VRR display you simply would not be able to tell the difference between the two. Great news for where any one would like to play the games.

Mr Moose

It's a decent "unlocked" HFR mode, but a bad 120fps mode. Needs to average 118+ to be a good 120fps mode. 60fps mode is my personal choice to play this one, solid on all.

Seems like the higher frequency gpu in the ps5 is offering that extra bit of raw speed to push up performance on the lows while the overall wider power of the series x is offering a very slightly higher average performance across the broader time of play.

Imo it seems like they are more or less a wash across the board. Both boxes showing their strengths in respective areas and if you had a VRR display you simply would not be able to tell the difference between the two. Great news for where any one would like to play the games.

adamsapple adamsapple get him.

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Nah just messing with you.

I think the results are kind of neat to be honest. Pretty cool how each systems strengths comes into play here.

Vick

Gold Member
But it's missing SSR vs. the pro release and ssao apparently. Alex confirms it.. when using the non rt mode.
This is such blatant bullshit though, apparently missing SSR? What?
The game is indeed missing AO but in its 120fps mode, not the regular 60fps one.

If Alex really confirmed such things it would be the stupidest thing he ever said in his "career".

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, weird. Xbox has larger drops but has a higher average. I don't know which I would prefer. How often do those drops occur? I guess based on how math works, not often if XSX has higher average.

As DenchDeckard DenchDeckard said, ultimately it is a wash. Both PS5 and XSX can have a significant drop in frames so it would probably be equally noticeable whether the drop is to 24 or 18 assuming frequency of the drops are the same. The difference in frame rate average is negligible. I wouldn't think twice about playing either version.

This is such blatant bullshit though, apparently missing SSR? What?
The game is indeed missing AO but in its 120fps mode, not the regular 60fps one.

If Alex really confirmed such things it would be the stupidest thing he ever said in his "career".
Well he said/shows the SSR goes out of view and fades out easier. It's at the 6 minute mark of his video.

Not going to sit here and say the dude has never been wrong, but.

Mr Moose

Well he said/shows the SSR goes out of view and fades out easier. It's at the 6 minute mark of his video.

Not going to sit here and say the dude has never been wrong, but.
If you look at a certain angle the SSR doesn't show as much, but it is there and it is ugly. Not sure why anyone would want to see that crap.
RESIDENTEVIL22022062.jpg

Top Bottom