• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech PS5 vs XSX patch, performance drops to ps5 1368p and XSX 1080p (AC Valhalla)

Old Empire.

d5WFLGb.jpg

87M9Gy2.png

Definitely something different happening , the jump scene identical. The mountain edge looks different on the Series X. PS5 version matches with the Series S version more.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So what is your point here, did the PS5 become weaker all of a sudden?
Even though the thread title cleverly omits the game title, this is actually a comparison of a game, not of the consoles. If you have a PS5 and want the best performance, you should not download this patch is what he said. The reasons for the discrepancy can be many, but probably Ubisoft increased the quality settings a bit too much in the patch.

SirTerry-T

They had more time the tools, still cant patch the gap lol but dont worry xbox fans will pay sony not imporove there own tools and in 1 year they will get parity with ps5, 🤣
Grow the fuck up.
Some of us own neither of these machines and just try...TRY to get some insight into how these machines are faring and what they are bringing to the hobby by reading the threads around here.
Its the shite spewed in posts like yours (and those made by your opposite numbers on the green team) that make this forum really difficult to enjoy sometimes.
I've said it before...but just play the damned games and enjoy your new shiny toys.
FFS.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Digital foundry needs to do its job properly. From the video posted by you, i notice the Series has better draw distance in the background and has better textures and visuals.

It's clearly seen here at one scene same place , mountain area in the background. The PS5 blurry like the Series S. Visual quality not being compared here.

rJf7Pu7.png

The picture you're sharing looks like a 480p image.

PlayStation 5 is in no way closer to the Series S. You can easily tell that the Series S textures are at a lower resolution whereas the Series X and PlayStation 5 look just about the same.

Qam59yE.png

Looks like Ubisoft went for the quick win. Instead of spending a couple of weeks working on a proper patch for the series consoles (PS5 was basically fine). All they did was mess around with the dynamic resolution scaling to make it more aggressive and in the process have messed up the ps5 version.

The problems on the series x had nothing to do with dynamic res. There were issues when the torch was visible tanking the frame rate 15fps, issues with hard frame drops when moving from inside to outside and camera problems during cutscenes (locked 60fps but strange stuttering taking place) along with incomparably high CPU utilisation in villages causing drops.

I’m sorry but any engine that scales resolution from 2160p down to 1080p (1/4 res) is clearly unoptimised and unstable. Ubisoft need to work on their engine and get it ready for next gen. I mean it isn’t even taking advantage of any of the new features made possible by the series x or ps5. No VRS, SFS, RT etc on X and probably not using the geometry engine or IO throughout and RT of the ps5. I don’t think it’s taking much advantage of the texture decompression tech of either machine at all. If it was the last gen and new gen filesizes would be radically different (much smaller on new gen consoles).

What an unoptimised mess. Is this Unity 2.0 in the making???

Old Empire.

The tree looks better in the PS5. It could just be youtube messing things up.

V0UmLdg.png

You are aware that this game has dynamic weather and daytime/nighttime?

It seems to me the Series applied a different lighting method for background details. Found another example from the same video. Series S and PS5 have the same appearance, the high rock on the mountain shaded out.

Series X again looks different.

8TeYhNq.png

Last edited:

Banned
Looks like Ubisoft went for the quick win. Instead of spending a couple of weeks working on a proper patch for the series consoles (PS5 was basically fine). All they did was mess around with the dynamic resolution scaling to make it more aggressive and in the process have messed up the ps5 version.

The problems on the series x had nothing to do with dynamic res. There were issues when the torch was visible tanking the frame rate 15fps, issues with hard frame drops when moving from inside to outside and camera problems during cutscenes (locked 60fps but strange stuttering taking place) along with incomparably high CPU utilisation in villages causing drops.

I’m sorry but any engine that scales resolution from 2160p down to 1080p (1/4 res) is clearly unoptimised and unstable. Ubisoft need to work on their engine and get it ready for next gen. I mean it isn’t even taking advantage of any of the new features made possible by the series x or ps5. No VRS, SFS, RT etc on X and probably not using the geometry engine or IO throughout and RT of the ps5. I don’t think it’s taking much advantage of the texture decompression tech of either machine at all. If it was the last gen and new gen filesizes would be radically different (much smaller on new gen consoles).

What an unoptimised mess. Is this Unity 2.0 in the making???

exactly this.
this had absolutely nothing to do with resolution or LOD distance.

the only really noticeable drops were during scenes where you had the torch producing dynamic shadows all around you.

playing on a freesync screen those were the only real performance issues for me.

all they should have done is getting rid of their adaptive vsync and implement an option toggle for a standard double buffer vsync or vsync off.
and then try to fix the issue with the torch.

Last edited:
i wish i could refund the game after how ubisoft has treated playstation users which is where most of their sales come from:

• gimping the frame rate
  • not fixing the bad audio
  • not making use of the dualsense
Fuck them. I suggest to all my fellow PlayStation gamers that we don't support them anymore. they apparently get plenty of money from microsoft marketing
Lmao you’re too much. Ubisoft is known for games launching in poor states and having to go through several patch iterations before everything works the way it should, and that includes some patches along the way that might degrade performance. It happens, and it will get fixed. But I guess acting like this is a conspiracy is the right thing to do, lol. You people are madder than a box of spiders.

Schnozberry

So it appears that the PS5 would benefit from more DRS flexibility as well, given all the torn frames.

The only thing this patch really confirms is that this game/engine is an unoptimized mess. I'd normally recommend playing it on PC if you have the graphics horsepower, but it runs like shit there too.

Last edited:

Old Empire.

I'm seeing more detail on that roof on the PS5 version. Then again it could just be compression making things look weird.

I don't see that extra detail on the roof.

I only see some negligible visual differences between the versions in the far background. Why the lighting different in the far background on the Series, unsure? It's minor and the game if we are honest looks to have parity on PS5 and xbox. Frame hiccups and resolution are pretty much identical..

I don't see that extra detail on the roof.

I only see some negligible visual differences between the versions in the far background. Why the lighting different in the far background on the Series, unsure? It's minor and the game if we are honest looks to have parity on PS5 and xbox. Frame hiccups and resolution are pretty much identical..

I'm just not seeing what you're seeing. As for the roof it's the lines that I'm looking at.

Shmunter

It easier for people to see when you clip the images.

Lighting on the mountain rocks different on the Series.

DPlRaZm.png

b1AekJh.png

DBhRbhr.png

ki8vrtK.png
PS5 looks better. But the game has dynamic lighting and cloud cover. You’re looking at the wrong indicators as they change minute to minute to draw a conclusion.

3liteDragon

Wasn't PS5 running at a (almost) locked 60FPS before this patch? They just made it worse with this one for no reason lol, either it was done intentionally to achieve "parity" between the consoles or Ubi's legit trash when it comes to engine optimizations.

Before the patch (60FPS mode):

RW8JTWb.jpg

NSvehIg.jpg

After the patch (60FPS mode):
LG6DGBH.jpg
139NlKg.jpg

Last edited:
Wasn't PS5 running at a (almost) locked 60FPS before this patch? They just made it worse with this one for no reason lol, either it was done intentionally to achieve "parity" between the consoles or Ubi's legit trash when it comes to engine optimizations.

You know what I say about that?

Wait and see if Ubisoft fixes the PS5 version. If they don't then I would find that pretty suspicious because they can easily roll back the patch.

There screenshots at the same play scenes. Series S and PS5 rock face are shaded out from light. Series X is different to the other two consoles. There daytimes scenes.

How do we know the sun is in the same position in all three?

I'm always skeptical when lighting is compared due to many factors that can change it.

Last edited:
Definitely something different happening , the jump scene identical. The mountain edge looks different on the Series X. PS5 version matches with the Series S version more.
The lighting is different in each version, this is the take away I got from almost every screenshots here.

The resolution is visibly lower on the S (not on the small grab you posted), if it's lower on the X Youtube hides 90% of it with compression.

I saw others making low draw distance claims for the PS5 version, but I have been unable to see anything that would confirm it.
It's clearly seen here at one scene same place , mountain area in the background. The PS5 blurry like the Series S. Visual quality not being compared here.
I can see a difference in lighting, but the blurriness, no... I mean, even with the YT compression you can see the smudge on the S, that the lights are different on all versions depending on where the screenshot is taken.

Show me a PNG or you are full of it.

Old Empire.

How do we know the sun is in the same position in all three?

I'm always skeptical when lighting is compared due to many factors that can change it.

Why it is interesting, the PS5 and Series S have a match scene, the series X does not least in the background details. Someone would have to do a run-through on PS5 and check it and see if similar lighting around the edges and face of the rock appears. It's just something i noticed when watching the video posted here.

Why it is interesting, the PS5 and Series S have a match scene, the series X does not least in the background details. Someone would have to do a run-through on PS5 and check it and see if similar lighting around the edges and face of the rock appears. It's just something i noticed when watching the video posted here.

Im sure Digital Foundry and NXGamer NXGamer will point out the differences if there are any.

Tripolygon

Banned
Basically someone was mad people were laughing at a retarded person. He's saying no one cares you're too virtuous to laugh.
Lets see if I understand this correctly.

Person A posted a picture of someone clearly suffering from Down Syndrome who has just won a medal as something to laugh at.

Person B says its not cool to laugh at that picture.

Person B is now virtue signaling because they called out others laughing at someone suffering from down syndrome?

Does that sound about right?

Now wherein in this exchange did person B claim to be virtuous, perfect or without fault?

Or do you have to be perfect in order to tell someone not to be an asshole to others?

Last edited:
Top Bottom