• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG TECH] Mortal Shell PS5 vs Xbox Series S/X

ethomaz

Banned
Maybe people are just bored of these discussions that lead nowhere? And don't really care about this as much as you do. 🤔
I believe it is the opposite... equal is not talked that all... if there is differences the thread get high actives. So nowhere people are bored of these discussion... they want more.

If the next comparison have a another differences the thread will have high activity.

IMO when everything is equal there is nothing to discuss and it indeed become boring.

Last edited:

vkbest

They claimed not once that the game was running in 1800p on PS5... so it was obvious weird to see it running in 1440p.
They claimed the game was running at 1800p on official PSN forum. After they got caught, they are talking don't know what happened, and will fix this week. Anyway the game have drops at 1440p, so probably they will broken the framerate, because people want 1800p.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Maybe they tested and the game was running ok on that res. They maybe though VGTech, DF etc wouldn’t test this game, but happened. The thing is probably they will lock the resolution to 1800p but the game I’m sure will be more unstable. If XSX is dropping frames even with dynamic res, when they lock the resolution the framerate will suffer

They claimed the game was running at 1800p on official PSN forum. After they got caught, they are talking don't know what happened, and will fix this week. Anyway the game have drops at 1440p, so probably they will broken the framerate, because people want 1800p.
They tested this game back in August. Do you really think they thought they wouldn't test it again?

How can they get "caught"? You're assuming they tried to lie that the game was 1800p.

ethomaz

Banned
You assume they were lying about the gaming running in 1800p.

What probably happened is that when packing it to ship some old PS4 Pro settling was not changed like they tested before... that happens with different people working from home due de pandemic.

Even after the launch they keep saying the game was running in 1800p...

Let’s see how the framerate will go... remember we don’t know if it is 1800p native or 1800p DRS... if DRS framerate won’t change because the heavy parts will run in 1440p like today.

You assume they were lying about the gaming running in 1800p.

What probably happened is that when packing it to ship some old PS4 Pro settling was not changed like they tested before... that happens with different people working from home due de pandemic.

Even after the launch they keep saying the game was running in 1800p...

Let’s see how the framerate will go... remember we don’t know if it is 1800p native or 1800p DRS... if DRS framerate won’t change because the heavy parts will run in 1440p like today.
And like on XSX.

vkbest

How can they get "caught"? You're assuming they tried to lie that the game was 1800p.

"tried to lie". Yes, im assuming it, the most games are marketed as 4k, developers are lying to us everyday, in fact 1800p is a lie, the game on XSX is using DRS, that is not native 1800p at all.

The game is dropping frames at 1440p. XSX is dropping frames too with tearing and DRS. XSX version or even worse is you can expect the game will be when the patch releases. are you are expecting the game will perform better on PS5 than XSX?

Only getting the tearing of XSX version is a downgrade for me, but looks like people like you prefer a higher number than stable performance.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
"tried to lie". Yes, im assuming it, the most games are marketed as 4k, developers are lying to us everyday, in fact 1800p is a lie, the game on XSX is using DRS, that is not native 1800p at all.

The game is dropping frames at 1440p. XSX is dropping frames too with tearing and DRS. XSX version or even worse is you can expect the game will be when the patch releases. are you are expecting the game will perform better on PS5 than XSX?

Only getting the tearing of XSX version is a downgrade for me, but looks like people like you prefer a higher number than stable performance.
Not changed from what you see on PS5 today that runs all the time in 1440p... where there is no framerate drop the resolution will probably go up without framrate changes.

I can’t see how that fix changes performance if it is using DRS... the heavy parts (where drop today) will continue being 1440p while the others parts with solid framerate can go up to 1800p with the same solid framerate.

It should be more interesting if it was 1800p fixed... so we could see where the framrate fires giving a better view of the framerate drops due CPU or GPU.

Last edited:

vkbest

Not changed from what you see on PS5 today that runs all the time in 1440p... where there is no framerate drop the resolution will probably go up without framrate changes.

I can’t see how that fix changes performance if it is using DRS... the heavy parts (where drop today) will continue being 1440p while the others parts with solid framerate can go up to 1800p with the same solid framerate.

It should be more interesting if it was 1800p fixed... so we could see where the framrate fires giving a better view of the framerate drops due CPU or GPU.

You are assuming they will implement DRS, when Pro and PS5 didn't have. Even with DRS, XSX have tearing, do you prefer the game with higher resolution and tearing?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You are assuming they will implement DRS, when Pro and PS5 didn't have. Even with DRS, XSX have tearing, do you prefer the game with higher resolution and tearing?
Tearing has nothing to do with DRS or fixed resolution. Even in PS5 lower framerate scenes there is no tearing.

Why you assume PS5 will tear? I'm not getting what are you trying to say.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You should read up what they consider 4K, and upscaled, reconstruction are what they consider 4K image and it's not alwys native. You also implied that they caught "caught" and probably didn't expect people would test it and that's ridiclous.

Nocturno999

Huge resolution boost on XSX, almost identicle framerate -

source.gif
I clicked this thread just to see this.

Rob_27

This is only an observation...
Related to both consoles generally and no specific title.

Last gen titles for example on xbox one X were outputting at 4K, 1800p and lower with DRS at 30fps

This gen seems to only be performing at around 1440 - 1800p or with DRS at around about 60fps.

With the extra CPU and GPU enhancements/power would have been nice to come out the gate in full bad boy mode 4k60. I suppose its going to take a while. But would have been nice to see that straight away. Then see what mental shit the devs could do later on with the refining.

intbal

Just wanted to point out that the developers have corrected their spec error (my term) for the Series S version of the game. It now runs at 1080p in performance mode for a stable 60fps. The Series S is a stellar 1080p gaming machine. There's no reason for games to target a higher resolution, unless they can already hit 1080p/60hz with plenty of performance left over.

Just wanted to point out that the developers have corrected their spec error (my term) for the Series S version of the game. It now runs at 1080p in performance mode for a stable 60fps. The Series S is a stellar 1080p gaming machine. There's no reason for games to target a higher resolution, unless they can already hit 1080p/60hz with plenty of performance left over.

Seems they have also corrected the problem of texture streaming 😉

ethomaz

Banned
It
Fucking finally! Based ethomaz ethomaz saves the day. Now can they patch the xbox version? I don't think its had one patch since launch has it?
Well they indeed need to fix the tearing (no VSync) and texture streaming in that version.

They are posting updates on Xbox because an issue in Series S version was fixed a week ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom