• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG TECH] Mortal Shell PS5 vs Xbox Series S/X

We seem to be ticking a lot of the "How To Cope With A Series X Win" boxes so far:

1.) "well, my PS5 loads the game one second faster"
2.) "nobody can notice a difference in resolution when playing" (lol WUT?)
3.) "DualSense."

Guys, it's okay. PS5 still has a ton of "W's" so far, of course the Series is gonna win some too. The PS5 is still awesome. The world isn't ending.

Game is only 30 bucks on PSN right? I read it is about a 10 hour campaign and takes 2 playthroughs for the Plat. Seems like a reasonable price.

Last edited:

paulyboy81

Neo Member
The Series S version is mind-bogglingly mishandled. The developers know it only has a third of the GPU power of an X right? Those DRS values are ambitious, to say the least.

Won't play either as I don't like Souls games.
why dont you love me GIF

longdi

Banned
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem @Elios83

This isn't a BC game, this is native version, and it seems like a clear win for the Series:

Facts from VG Tech:

The blurry screenshot is from RIGHT when you load the game and everything is streaming in. After that initial second it's gone.

Series wins this one.

another one then! 🤷‍♀️

the initial streaming / loading sounds like a bug. probably the ssd is too fast and they did not update the game code fully, which allowed the polygons to load out of sync

Last edited:
While Series X is clearly the best console version the Series S version is a disgrace. How many people have both VRR and a Series S? Lock it down at 30fps or make the DRS more aggressive.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Kiron Ramdewar
March 5, 2021 at 10:22 AM GMT
Just to confirm, this is sitting at the levels below:
Base res for PS4 on 4k is 2560×1440, upscaled to 4k (3840×2160)
Base res for PS5 is 3200×1800, upscaled to 4k (3840×2160)
There’s a big improvement here, especially paired with the new textures and framerate – let me know if you feel the difference. +

They forgot to click save when editing the file or something lol.

Evilms

Banned
XSX: 2560x1440p ~ 3200x1800p dynamic (often close to 1800p).
PS5: 2560x1440p only found (1440p native ?).
XSS: 2080x1170p ~ 2304x1296p dynamic (often close to 1170p).

-Texture streaming is faster on PS5 than on XSS/XSX.

textures_load_problem.jpg

-Xbox versions suffer from tearing, more pronounced on XSS.

Framerate :
PS5 (min: 54fps/ max: 60fps / avg: 59.96fps).
XSX (min : 53fps/ max : 60fps / avg : 59.89fps).
XSS (min : 35fps/ max : 60fps / avg : 48.05fps).

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's the closest thing to Dark Souls without it being Dark Souls. Thoroughly enjoyed the game though the level design leaves much to be desired.

Congrats to Xbox on the win. Wish it was play anywhere as I have already had my fill on PC.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Is Playstation 5 able to output 1440p? I thought that was an issue.. Researching...ah

PS5 1440p Monitor Support

You can connect the PS5 to any TV. Be it an HD ready TV to get a 720P output, a 1080p TV to get FHD output and to a 4K TV for UHD output. But you cannot connect the console to a 1440p display and get native 1440p output. Considering games like Control: Ultimate Edition has a 1440p resolution, it would be great to exploit the resolution on a 1440p monitor. Alas, this isn’t the case. The Xbox Series X supports 1440p monitors natively. Sony has said that if they see enough demand for the feature, they may consider it. So it isn't clear if we will ever get support for 1440p monitors on the PS5. One thing to note is that if you connect the PS5 to a 1440p monitor, the console will output at 4K and give you a super-sampled image on the 1440p monitor. You can learn more about it here.

So Sony outputs a 1440p signal as 4k and then super-samples down to....1440p on a 1440p monitor. What about TV's? Does it super-sample down to a 1080p image?

xion4360

its pretty clearly a simple unlock framerate and call it a day, just like the division 2. we all saw how that came out on ps5..clearly no effort there and yet its tagged like a native version on Xbox X and S.

I think its more accurate to call it an enhanced BC patch rather than a true native version.

another example...Mass Effect Legendary Edition...the developers have said there is no native current gen version, but that the PS5 and Series consoles will have some extra enhancement over last gen machines...basically an enhanced BC game...yet microsoft lists it as Series X/S optimized on the store, and on the console. obviously there is a very fine line between an xbox one game and a series X optimized game if you ask microsoft.

Last edited:

Rambone

For me it came down to the Dual Sense controller in the deciding factor between which console to get it on. Mortal Shell takes full advantage of the PS5 controller and it is glorious. I really wish Microsoft would release a competing controller with the same tech, I am finding that I am buying more games on PS5 than on my Series because I want to experience the game with the dual sense even if the series might technically perform better in some games.

silent head

XSX: 2560x1440p ~ 3200x1800p dynamic (often close to 1800p).
PS5: 2560x1440p only found (1440p native ?).
XSS: 2080x1170p ~ 2304x1296p dynamic (often close to 1170p).

-Texture streaming is faster on PS5 than on XSS/XSX.

textures_load_problem.jpg

-Xbox versions suffer from tearing, more pronounced on XSS.

Framerate :
PS5 (min: 54fps/ max: 60fps / avg: 59.96fps).
XSX (min : 53fps/ max : 60fps / avg : 59.89fps).
XSS (min : 35fps/ max : 60fps / avg : 48.05fps).
TaFX3I0.jpg
i7rXRsR.jpg
SLvAzzZ.jpg
YstN4YH.jpg

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's kind of sad looking at the early hype for the XSX power advantage to now with it only having slightly increased resolutions
the difference is not nearly enough for anything else to be honest. It was clear 10 vs 12, but PS5 have higher clocked GPU, which can net nice gains outside of raw compute.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
the difference is not nearly enough for anything else to be honest. It was clear 10 vs 12, but PS5 have higher clocked GPU, which can net nice gains outside of raw compute.
Yep. I remember plenty of discussions on here where some kept trying to tell me it would be a night and day difference lol

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yep. I remember plenty of discussions on here where some kept trying to tell me it would be a night and day difference lol
Well that Tech Thread is legendary in amount of bullshit/posts, it's really something to preserve for upcoming generation.

ethomaz

Banned
Interesting.

Have you considered reaching out to someone about this theory? Perhaps someone directly involved with its creation? On something like, say, Twitter perhaps?
Theory? It is a fact.
BTW I never reached any creator in Twitter lol

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Kiron Ramdewar
March 5, 2021 at 10:22 AM GMT
Just to confirm, this is sitting at the levels below:
Base res for PS4 on 4k is 2560×1440, upscaled to 4k (3840×2160)
Base res for PS5 is 3200×1800, upscaled to 4k (3840×2160)
There’s a big improvement here, especially paired with the new textures and framerate – let me know if you feel the difference. +

They forgot to click save when editing the file or something lol.
Interesting.

They basically delivered the PS4 Pro BC version without changes lol

Loxus

OP is avoiding this like cancer, try to include everything next time:

Texture streaming is faster on PS5 than Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S http://bit.ly/3rzcVut Note that these screenshots are right after loading and these are not representative of how the game generally looks on the Xbox consoles.

PS5

ps5-streaming-3.png

Xbox Series X

seriesx-streaming-3.png

Xbox Series S

seriess-streaming-3.png

Struggling with low res textures in a BC game?
So again Xbox fans bragging about higher res with low quality textures.
While PS5 pushing higher quality textures.

Low quality textures still gonna look like shit at 4k.

ethomaz

Banned
Is this just a mistake in upload or has VG tested the wrong edition of the game?
I don’t know... I believe VGTech tested the right version (the one available on the consoles right now) because the Series X version is just the Xbox One X version too.

PS4 Pro: 1440p fixed.
Xbox One X: 1800p dynamic.

It is just BC games being packaged as native apps.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

I don’t know... I believe VGTech tested the right version (the one available on the consoles right now) because the Series X version is just the Xbox One X version too.

PS4 Pro: 1440p fixed.
Xbox One X: 1800p dynamic.

It is just BC games being packaged as native apps.
Weird, considering the dev post. God only know, roll on proper next gen.

So again Xbox fans bragging about higher res with low quality textures.
While PS5 pushing higher quality textures.

Low quality textures still gonna look like shit at 4k.
I don't think that's a texture filtering problem like in outriders. It seems some pop-in (slow texture streaming) on XSX. It's I/O related :p

Top Bottom