• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG TECH] Mortal Shell PS5 vs Xbox Series S/X

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem E Elios83

This isn't a BC game, this is native version, and it seems like a clear win for the Series:

Facts from VG Tech:

The blurry screenshot is from RIGHT when you load the game and everything is streaming in. After that initial second it's gone.

Series wins this one.

Just a half-baked port, even there is a warning on PS store:

To play this game on PS5, your system may need to be updated to the latest system software. Although this game is playable on PS5, some features available on PS4 may be absent. See PlayStation.com/bc for more details.

Yeah, it's BC.

EDIT: It's found in all crossgen games though, seems like a precaution after CP2077.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Some devs can get something as advance as few second longer load screen to work. I mean, I obviously know the tricks and many times it's better than to have such ugly screen taken for internet to see. It's obvious then if those are legitimate current gen version than even at raw speed without any sort of I/O HW block, it's PS5 > XSX.

Just an half-baked port, even there is a warning on PS5 store:

To play this game on PS5, your system may need to be updated to the latest system software. Although this game is playable on PS5, some features available on PS4 may be absent. See PlayStation.com/bc for more details.

Yeah, it's BC.

Nevermind then

Did Sony stance on this changed?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It's the same res as on Pro and X1X...

7UphPrX.png
5hW5JpA.png

Another BC patch... And Series S has shit framerate. Should have locked it to lower resolution.
Basically that.... limited to BC resolutions and probably settings.

Last edited:

Elios83

This isn't a BC game, this is native version, and it seems like a clear win for the Series:

Facts from VG Tech:

The blurry screenshot is from RIGHT when you load the game and everything is streaming in. After that initial second it's gone.

Series wins this one.

Why are you tagging me? I've not made any comment if this is a native port or BC title. I don't know actually.
And yeah the difference is in texture streaming speed not fully loaded textures. And indeed I pointed out it was the first time we have some evidence of PS5 loading assets faster, which is interesting at a technical level since it's clear that these early titles are hardly making use of the fully optimized IO pipeline allowed by the SSD.

v_iHuGi

Banned
BC again, strange Ps5 textures are hugely better since it is running the same game as Pro and One X had more and faster RAM.

wtf?

Facts from VG Tech:

Series wins this one.

yup, call a spade a spade. You can argue saying both ps5 and xsx resolutions are mirroring ps4 pro and Xbox one x versions. But it is what it is. Series X wins on resolution and frame rate with this game based on vg tech

Chessmate

Banned
Once again, Xbox Series X pushes over a million more pixels than PS5. If you'd count them, you'd sit for 12 days in front of your tv. Which can be quite a relaxing experience for anyone struggling with recent developments in the gaming industry. Others seem to prefer to take a long nap these days to overcome their FUD. 😴

Mr.ODST

yup, call a spade a spade. You can argue saying both ps5 and xsx resolutions are mirroring ps4 pro and Xbox one x versions. But it is what it is. Series X wins on resolution and frame rate with this game based on vg tech
Woah brother

Im supposed to be the one praising Xbox and your supposed to hate it.

In all seriousness played this yesterday again on my PS5 and it looked great but you can tell its a lower resolution.

Skifi28

As we move forward the list of 4K games on PS5 will get even shorter. Another win for the tower of power.

Did we watch a different video? This isn't native 4k on either version. The list of native 4k games on both consoles is going to be quite small. And that is fine, devs are finally giving priority to fps over resolution and recontructions technniques are getting better and better. You're not getting 4k60 easily out of 500 dollar boxes.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Devs say its a native port, but to be fair it probably is more of a BC patch but they want it to sound like a proper next gen version to get more sales.

Devs do so much shit, and after CP2077 Sony is more catious about it and pointed out that some features are missing and asked to follow the BC page for more info. It's still a small studio as it seems, but of course the XSX version is the best version nonetheless.

Mr.ODST

Devs do so much shit, and after CP2077 Sony is more catious about it and pointed out that some features are missing and asked to follow the BC page for more info. It's still a small studio as it seems, but of course the XSX version is the best version nonetheless.
Am I seeing this right?

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem saying an Xbox version is better

Jokes aside ill still play it on my PS5, not a bad game

ikbalCO

Should have probably lowered the resolution on Series S.
exactly. this is why series s gets a bad rep. it is a machine that is designed to be 1080p ~ 1440p with 60 fps when series X version is native 4k/60fps. just drop the resolution and give lock 60 fps with decent textures and you are good to go. why are you pushing resolution?

who is asking for this?

Last edited:
quick and dirty job, minimal optimization done, meaningless comparison really.

Can't call it meaningless just because Series X wins it. That's not fair.

This is a native NG version of the game with 60fps target and UHD texture upgrades. It's a valid comparison. Series X has nearly same performance and noticeably higher resolution than PS5.

Destroy All Humans! was a meaningless comparison, that was comparing the One X version of a game to the base vanilla PS4 version of a game. That's not the case here.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Am I seeing this right?

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem saying an Xbox version is better

Jokes aside ill still play it on my PS5, not a bad game

Well, can't argue facts, but it's not something to spend too much analysis on as it's a small team that must've benefited from the GDK port from PC to the newer Xbox consoles vs PS5 only uncapping the framerates of the PS4 Pro version.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Well, can't argue facts, but it's not something to spend too much analysis on as it's a small team that must've benefited from the GDK port from PC to the newer Xbox consoles vs PS5 only uncapping the framerates of the PS4 Pro version.
Biggest issue im seeing including the Overwatch news is the full native versions needed to provide next-gen updates on PS5, its seemless on my Xbox at the moment, PS5 UI and systems are a mess until they patch everything.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yep CDPR has a lot to answer for when it comes to gamer trust in devs after Cyberpunk.

I think you should see more and more BC games having better optimizations on newer xbox consoles because it's similar to the PC version. Small studios will opt to just open framerates cap of the PS4/Pro version and call it a day for PS5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

v_iHuGi

Banned

Wut? Ps5 has a higher avg frame rate based on VG Tech.

Ps5 operates the the same resolution as Ps4 Pro and SX the same as Xbox One X, most BC titles will keep running at higher RES on SX and even SS achieves a CB 1800p which Ps5 doesn´t.

Ps5 is straight up Ps4 Pro unlocked.

Yep thats why i mentioned about running the game on a Sata SSD on PC with zero texture streaming problems. Just getting it in before the fud.

Same, I have the game on PC and my SSD isn't even fast (it's a shitty laptop SSD) and I have zero issues.

Same thing happened with Control. I saw places posting footage of pop-in/LOD issues on the PC version that I didn't experience on PC running off a standard SATA SSD.

Not sure if it is a RAM speed thing, or a CPU thing, but people can't just assume that because one guy's PC had the problem, every PC has the problem, there are so many different variables rig-to-rig on the PC side.

Rea

Nice boosts for Xbox One X and PS4 Pro BC games. But this game feels like a rip off from Demon's Souls.
Still far away from demon's souls, the only similarity is the art style. The game looks very flat and gamey compare to demon's souls. The dynamism of lightning in demon's souls is purely next gen.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Same thing happened with Control. I saw places posting footage of pop-in/LOD issues on the PC version that I didn't experience on PC running off a standard SATA SSD.

Not sure if it is a RAM speed thing, or a CPU thing, but people can't just assume that because one guy's PC had the problem, every PC has the problem, there are so many different variables rig-to-rig on the PC side.

VGTech say that it's right after loading, it's like few frames like in the Halo Infinite gameplay demo. So it's not a deal breaker.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Still far away from demon's souls, the only similarity is the art style. The game looks very flat and gamey compare to demon's souls. The dynamism of lightning in demon's souls is purely next gen.

Did we even see anything as good as Demon's Souls graphics to compare it to this AA game? Of course Demon's Souls has the upper hand but for Souls fans it should be a good game. Won't play either as I don't like Souls games.

ethomaz

Banned
The game has the "X|S" tag on it in my library. Normally, only games that have native versions get that tag.
Yeap they just put the Xbox One X game on Series S|X and call a day.

* PS4 version running on PS5 as PS4 Pro but with unlocked framerate.
* Xbox One X version running on Xbox Series X with resolution, texture filtering and framerate enhancements.
It is the same 1800p DRS resolution in Xbox One X and Series X|S.

Plus the framerate enhancement was not a Dev work... just the framerate running better due the better hardware.

To be fair seems like mostly a untouched PS4 Pro / Xbox One X versions.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
BC or native? Either way sounds like a low effort last gen port by a small developer. I guess the Xbots can brag and make a 45 page thread now? No way of knowing what was left on the table with the PS5, no dynamic res and 60fps.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
BC games? 😂😂 yet if it was all praise for PS5, you'd be kissing it's ass regardless being demon Souls rip off or not.

I won't play Demon's Souls even for free, even if it's a masterpiece to some. Same with Bloodborne when offered for free on PS Plus and now on Collection.

Last edited:

Chessmate

Banned
Bo and Ethomaz should realize they're only sending the message out: Xbox gets another better version of a game. These are plain and simple facts, a straightforward analysis of a next gen update. You guys should just stop posting and this thread will disappear in no time. 🤗

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo and Ethomaz should realize they're only sending the message out: Xbox gets another better version of a game. These are plain and simple facts, a straightforward analysis of a next gen update. You guys should just stop posting and this thread will disappear in no time. 🤗

I'm starting to like you, I like that tactic.

v_iHuGi

Banned
It has all BC limitations lol
You can’t be that blind lol

1800p in Series X? BC limitation.
1440p in PS5? BC limitation.

Do you know which resolution it runs on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro?

1800p DRS and 1440p fixed... shocking 😳

Yeah first thing i checked, just because devs say it´s native doesn´t mean jack, they just unlocked the fps and are selling you the game at full price lmao

Rea

Did we even see anything as good as Demon's Souls graphics to compare it to this AA game? Of course Demon's Souls has the upper hand but for Souls fans it should be a good game. Won't play either as I don't like Souls games.
Agree brother. After playing Demon's souls remake, i can't find any game which has lighting as dynamic as Demon's Souls. I'm a Souls fan, but gonna wait out for this on PS plus, i have a feeling this game gonna end up at Ps plus. :lollipop_beaming_smiling:

Top Bottom