• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG TECH] Mortal Shell PS5 Patch 1.000.004 Frame Rate Test (1800p Update)

How often was the XsX version at 1800p? What was the common res that VGT found for XsX ?

This seems like a worse solution for PS5, the framerate is all over the place in that video

1800p is the common resolution on XsX. With DRS on PS5, pretty sure it will give results totally on par with XsX. I think if you don't really consider some games from the launch, it seems that XsX and PS5 offered the most similar performances (with current crossgen games) we have ever seen. Now I want pure games only done for the new consoles to have more interessing overview.

Last edited:
1800p is the common resolution on XsX. With DRS on PS5, pretty sure it will give results totally on par with XsX. I think if you don't really consider some games from the launch, it seems that XsX and PS5 offered the most similar performances (with current crossgen games) we have ever seen. Now I want pure games only done for the new consoles to have more interessing overview.

Looking at the video everytime the game is at 60FPS probably means 1800P with DRS. Whenever it drops the resolution will drop with DRS. With that said I'm pretty sure 1800P will be the common resolution on the PS5 as well.

thelastword

Banned
Apparently PS5 version doesn't have tearing contrary to XSX version, i didn't notice it before.
Yes, PS5 is free of tearing....It;s been that way for quite a few games now. Same was a staple on PRO vs XBONEX last gen....

Thing is, engaging vsync sacrifices some frames, so Series X gets a few frames that way, it's DRS gives it another set of frames......I won't take the Series X's tearing, not at all, but it's DRS is needed to balance it's framerate....If this is a bug though as the developer suggested and will be re-patched.....Then Ohhh Boy....
How often was the XsX version at 1800p? What was the common res that VGT found for XsX ?

This seems like a worse solution for PS5, the framerate is all over the place in that video
They said it was 1800p, but it's dynamic rez....There are scenes where the drops occur more often when tasked......The Xbox version falls to 53fps with tearing, so it's DRS and tearing still does not give it perfect performance....We will see what the next PS5 patch brings....

ethomaz

Banned
This is not a bug, lol. The game was impossible to running at 1800p fixed resolution, and the game have no implemented DRS on PlayStation versión. The bug here is the company’s PR, all problems with this update it’s because that guy fucked up on Twitter and PSN blog.

You mix that kind of PR with fanboys like ethomaz asking 1800p on Twitter and you have this result

Why the game was 1440p? Simple, and this update show us, because it’s the one resolution with stable framerate if you don’t have implemented dynamical resolution.
That is not the dev is saying btw.
It just confirmed these drops are not expected.
He said they will do another patch.

Last edited:

vkbest

That is not the dev is saying btw.
It just confirmed these drops are not expected.
He said they will do another patch.

You told me the same 2 weeks ago on the other thread, and we are here again with the game in the state I predicted you, lol. You continue to trust on PR guy.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is what can happen when you pester devs over having a slightly worse version, you then end up getting an even worse version.
Emergency board meeting everyone!

It looks like Sony gamers noticed the frames drop when we boosted to 1800p.

Twitter guy, respond to everyone saying another patch will come out saying it was a bug.

In the meantime, all you dev team get back to work and improve it. You got a week.

ethomaz

Banned
Emergency board meeting everyone!

It looks like Sony gamers noticed the frames drop when we boosted to 1800p.

Twitter guy, respond to everyone saying another patch will come out saying it was a bug.

In the meantime, all you dev team get back to work and improve it. You got a week.
It is not actually Twitter lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Minimum frames on PS5 now similar to Series S.

123oyk40.jpg

I didn't mention nor care about series x.
The game was dropping frames at 1440p. We are told upping it to 1800p wasn't supposed to drop more frames which is bullshit. Unless this game is very CPU bound(it's not), of course upping resolution that much is going to add more larger drops.
I don't think the guy at ree even know what was the aim of that patch. But it's clear that those drops are GPU related so using DRS should made the game performance at 1800p + DRS the same as the game running at locked 1440p (if the DRS works properly).

I didn't mention nor care about series x.
The game was dropping frames at 1440p. We are told upping it to 1800p wasn't supposed to drop more frames which is bullshit. Unless this game is very CPU bound(it's not), of course upping resolution that much is going to add more larger drops.

Well the Series X uses 1800P DRS that helps with the framerate. Even then it still has drops even though the lower limit is 1440P.

What I'm trying to say is that the PS5 is capable of 1800P DRS just like the Series X. It's not so weak that it can't handle 1800P DRS. As for the drops at 1400P according to VG tech they were really not an issue since average framerate is above a 59.

I don't think the guy at ree even know what was the aim of that patch. But it's clear that those drops are GPU related so using DRS should made the game performance at 1800p + DRS the same as the game running at locked 1440p (if the DRS works properly).

Pretty obvious that something went wrong with the resolution boost. Just because the game has issues at 1800P Native doesn't mean it will have issues at 1800P DRS. Even though the XSX drops frames at 1800P DRS it's so minor that it really isn't an issue. Same thing would happen with the PS5.

Last edited:
Well the Series X uses 1800P DRS that helps with the framerate. Even then it still has drops even though the lower limit is 1440P.

What I'm trying to say is that the PS5 is capable of 1800P DRS just like the Series X. It's not so weak that it can't handle 1800P DRS. As for the drops at 1400P according to VG tech they were really not an issue since average framerate is above a 59.

Pretty obvious that something went wrong with the resolution boost. Just because the game has issues at 1800P Native doesn't mean it will have issues at 1800P DRS. Even though the XSX drops frames at 1800P DRS it's so minor that it really isn't an issue. Same thing would happen with the PS5.
Yes but again we are being told ps5 is not going to have drs and was supposed to be locked 1800p with no difference to framerate then at 1440p. That is a bs statement. The game is running exactly as it should at 1800p with quite a few large drops going by how it was running at 1440p.

Yes but again we are being told ps5 is not going to have drs and was supposed to be locked 1800p with no difference to framerate then at 1440p.

I don't remember the developer saying that.

Also neither system can handle the game well at 1800P Native. Which is why the XSX is using DRS and the PS5 should use it as well. Making it DRS will only improve framerate which is what the XSX shows.

Last edited:
But the frame time counts show the disparity as well.
I'm just looking at video frames. If it was locked 60 that's how many game frames it should have as well. The frame time numbers are confusing me as well.
I don't remember the developer saying that.

Also neither system can handle the game well at 1800P Native. Which is why the XSX is using DRS and the PS5 should use it as well. Making it DRS will only improve framerate which is what the XSX shows.
Ethomas or whatever is saying the dev is saying that.
Yes but again I'm not taking about drs. I replied to ethomas who said the dev said the game wasn't supposed to drop more frames at 1800p than at 1440p.

I'm just looking at video frames. If it was locked 60 that's how many game frames it should have as well. The frame time numbers are confusing me as well.

Yes but again I'm not taking about drs. I replied to ethomas who said the dev said the game wasn't supposed to drop more frames at 1800p than at 1440p.

Um this goes for any platform including PC. Whenever you increase resolution framerate will drop. Doesn't mean that framerate will drop to unacceptable levels as long as the increase isn't too high. What I read on resetera is that they had the game running fine at 1800P. all I can think of is that they had it with DRS and due to some bug the retail version is running at a fixed resolution. This is something that I believe you pointed out with Call of Duty on the PS5.

ethomaz

Banned
Um this goes for any platform including PC. Whenever you increase resolution framerate will drop. Doesn't mean that framerate will drop to unacceptable levels as long as the increase isn't too high. What I read on resetera is that they had the game running fine at 1800P. all I can think of is that they had it with DRS and due to some bug the retail version is running at a fixed resolution. This is something that I believe you pointed out with Call of Duty on the PS5.
Yes a proper 1800p drs should run pretty much exactly as the 1440p except at a much higher resolution most of the time. Again ethomaz is saying different and that's what I'm arguing.

ethomaz

Banned
Yes a proper 1800p drs should run pretty much exactly as the 1440p except at a much higher resolution most of the time. Again ethomaz is saying different and that's what I'm arguing.
Me saying what?

I was the first to say in this forum the 1800p patch was probably with DRS and you will see no framerate drop.

The dev actually said the framrate won’t drop and they were inclusive g testing it without drop.

Last edited:

This?

The PS5 1800p patch should not alter the game's performance (e.g dropping frames). It's what QA are testing ATM.

We're also working on a 1080p/60fps Xbox Series S patch too.

But then he said this as well.

It shouldn't be making the frame rate dip like this. Annoyed this wasn't flagged by QA. Back to the drawing board...

Looks like it's something that QA didn't catch. But according to him the frames shouldn't be dropping so much. I guess if that's true it means that they messed up the patch at some point. No idea if it was supposed to have DRS to mitigate framerate drops or the problem isn't related to resolution but something else.

Learn to read first lol

- Dev said the game was running 1800p.
- Dev said the 1800p patch won’t affect performance.
- Dev said the framrate drops wasn’t to happen and they will fix it.

But keep talking like I’m the center of your universe lol

The Dev themselves found weird the framerate drops because for them the performance was not affected.

They are looking into it.

I understand what your saying but the developer said something similar. However the key point is that the developer said the patch shouldn't have tanked the framerate. Something went wrong when they made it.

To be honest they never promised DRS for the PS5 version but I honestly believe that it was part of the plan. It doesn't make sense for them to target a Native 1800P if it causes bad performance issues.

It's going to be interesting to see what the next patch will do.

I understand what your saying but the developer said something similar. However the key point is that the developer said the patch shouldn't have tanked the framerate. Something went wrong when they made it.

To be honest they never promised DRS for the PS5 version but I honestly believe that it was part of the plan. It doesn't make sense for them to target a Native 1800P if it causes bad performance issues.

It's going to be interesting to see what the next patch will do.
Minimum frame rate dropped by around the same % as resolution went up. They need to either add drs or lower something else. There is no magic in the ps5.

Lysandros

Why does patched PS5 have more than twice the number of frames as XSX and unpatched PS5? Seems like at a lower frame rate it would
Probably because as you can see in 'the same as previous test' stats (the same gameplay section as previous XSX/PS5 comparison where XSX dropped to 53 FPS) provided by VgTech, PS5 only drops to 46 FPS instead of 35 FPS. So the reality of the situation (the analogous comparison) is 46 FPS to 53 FPS for the minimum frame rates while PS5 being fixed 1800P without any torn frames and XSX being 1440P-1800P with DRS. A 15% advantage for XSX for min. FPS and 55% advantage in minimum resolution for PS5 (a pixel/FPS ratio of x3.5 in favor of PS5). With total number of game frames of 52497 instead of 21615 (with more stressing points further in the gameplay) XSX would certainly drop lower than 53 FPS similar to PS5.

WZFHqCh.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom