• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG tech : Immortals Fenix Rising PS5 vs XSX

mrmeh

Does it use upsampling to scale back up to max res? Is it just me that cant tell the difference in that video.... am I going blind??!

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I feel bad for 3rd party games right now. They are nothing but benchmarks for people! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I absolutely expected one console to render at a higher resolution than the other, just didn't expect that is gonna be the PS5

The difference is small and not even worth talking about, still the results are very interesting. popcorn.gif
It's too bad. The game is actually great fun. Aside from the stuttering issue which hopefully gets patched, this is GOTY contender for me so far, granted I'm only 4 hours in.

v_iHuGi

Banned
There was a thread on 4chan listing over 60 different videos with issues for Playstation 5. Imagine what's gonna happen once Summer kicks in, considering that for some people even in soon-to-be winter it's overheating.

And then it's also likely that Microsoft will help developers optimize their games further, considering that they maybe used an old development kit for Xbox One X instead of Series X.

Yeah sure, once i was a kid i too believed in Santa Claus.

v_iHuGi

Banned
My PS5 is about to be my main platform if the trend continue...get your shit together MS.

They designed a inferior Console, they can´t get their shit together until the Mid Gen Refresh comes along. The damage is already done, no magic update will fix a box with fixed HW in place.

This is not a Pc that you go into the market and buy a better gpu, replacing the older one.

Rea

The only resolution found on PS5 in Quality Mode was 3840x2160. Xbox Series X in Quality Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 3328x1872.

ughh
I remember alot of fanboys and even Microsoft boasting about Native 4k 60 fps for Series X, some extreme fanboys even go beyond saying that ps5 is 1440p and xbox is native 4k. How ironic the actual result is, huh.

Leyasu

Banned
But the X was supposed to be more accessible and easier to program for due to its PC origins....when in reality it looks like optimising for Xss and XsX is a major pita and we are seeing this with every single multiplat game. It is hilarious to think the 12 flop machine cannot win every multiplat comparison.

These are cross gen launch titles and aren’t pushing either system. This is nothing.

The true testing will start late next year when the first next gen only games start dropping.

On Demand

Banned
There was a thread on 4chan listing over 60 different videos with issues for Playstation 5. Imagine what's gonna happen once Summer kicks in, considering that for some people even in soon-to-be winter it's overheating.

And then it's also likely that Microsoft will help developers optimize their games further, considering that they maybe used an old development kit for Xbox One X instead of Series X.

What does PS5 typical launch issues have to do with this thread? LOL.

Keep waiting for Tool man Taylor. Phil got him on a first class flight to Redmond

Great on XSX, a little better on PS5, a bit shit on XSS.

Great news for the proper next gen systems and hopefully will further put off people from buying the XSS, if only so it doesn't sell enough to warrant supporting fully, and ends up holding back multiplats for the whole gen.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Seriously, what’s going with the XSX?
It has to be deeper than tools. Appreciate if someone technical can shed some light, because the maths doesn’t seem to be adding up.
I’m not technical, but put rdr2 on the XsX running back compatible or tlou2 on the ps5, and they would piss all over assassins creed Valhalla or fenyx rising in quality mode.

These are cross gen games with sloppy performance patches. There’s not much too it.

Last edited:

waquzy

It has to be deeper than tools. Appreciate if someone technical can shed some light, because the maths doesn’t seem to be adding up.
Its definitely not just the tools, I tried it with mine and it didn’t make no difference whatsoever...

2Z7Myst.jpg

Last edited:

oldergamer

This difference is imperceivable again to anyone playing. This game doesn't push visuals hard enough imo to show a real difference.

Drops in resolution below 3840x2160 on Xbox Series X in Quality Mode seem to be uncommon.

How is uncommon drops on xbox a win for PS5 is beyond me. This is within a small margin of error that could be bug related for anyone knows.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
See my post above. These games aren’t pushing either console.

Even next-gen exclusive games won't push either of these consoles in the beginning. That's how game development works.

Example: Infamous Second Son was a PS4 exclusive (didn't release on PS3). The same developer created Ghost of Tsushima, which is miles ahead of Infamous in terms of graphical fidelity and technical prowess. Can we say that since InFamous SS was a (then) next-gen exclusive, it pushed the console to its limits? No.

This doesn't stop comparisons b/w consoles. It never did before. Why should it now?

I’m not technical, but put rdr2 on the XsX running back compatible or tlou2 on the ps5, and they would piss all over assassins creed Valhalla or fenyx rising in quality mode.

These are cross gen games with sloppy performance patches. There’s not much too it.
This difference is imperceivable again to anyone playing. This game doesn't push visuals hard enough imo to show a real difference.

Drops in resolution below 3840x2160 on Xbox Series X in Quality Mode seem to be uncommon.

How is uncommon drops on xbox a win for PS5 is beyond me. This is within a small margin of error that could be bug related for anyone knows.
Weird how these bugs and sloppy patches keep being more common on the XSX than the PS5 game after game after game. Anyone would think one machine is actually marginally better than the other almost, but that can't be right,

I'm sure you're both correct and the PS5 being slightly better overall is just an error that will be corrected any time now.

These comparisons continue to be interesting but ultimately I think most people would really struggle to tell the difference in any of these cases without actual pixel counting and analysis. By the end of this gen I think we'll see that you couldn't go wrong with either system.

mrmeh

There were games that ran better on the PS4 pro than Xbox one X and there was a much greater % power differential there.. This latest game shows no difference from the other games tested which is roughly parity with PS5 edging the stats.

I would expect similar results from any cross gen game currently, things may swing the other way slightly in the future if MS does have SDK improvements to make but for consoles releasing together with the same price point...

I wish you were this logical few weeks back when u used to talk about ps5 downclocking and never keeping up with xsx based a bunch of theoretical numbers u saw on a paper . Hopefully you keep it this way

Pedro Motta

lol it’s math, minimum of 40to50 frames per second on GPU Alone. In addition to better RT This Delta alone is huge, can be put into extra effects, resolution, frames, so much more. That’s OK though, it should be $100 more expensive As I’ve always been saying from the beginning

Can't get enough of this. Just like I can't stop laughing at this gif of a man crossing his legs and destroying his nuts.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Why is this not locked native 4k (on both system)? Looked pretty trash in trailer.

AllyITA

Umm, no this is the true testing. It began when the consoles launched. When did cross-gen launch titles become invalid? That was never the case in previous generations.
i don't really care who "wins", but can i remember you how BAAAAAAD multiplat games where on PS3 before developers started actually using the CELL how it was intended?

not saying that the xsx will get better (maybe, i don't know), but making the point of "this was never the case in previous generations"

SilentUser

They are pretty close, with PS5 on top again. As like lots of people said before, the difference is so small that we need someone pointing who has the advantage... But I guess the biggest surprise is how the role has been reversed, as the PS5 is the one coming on top.

J_Gamer.exe

Think vgtech deserve more subs and views can have a sub from me.

The stats are laid out, no opinion just facts.

Don't get me wrong I like DF and sub there too but I wish DF added the receipts like vgtech does.

There's just no arguing with it.

PS5 is what they said, revolutionary.

Super efficient, seems like they did indeed push to reduce latency all over the system, eliminate bottlenecks etc.

This is why Cerny said its dangerous to rely on TF as they were tapping into the potential of a gpu etc to perform higher once said bottlenecks are removed.

Things like faster caches and cache scrubbers etc.

An amazing achievement and I hope we get a proper breakdown of its tech soon.

Think vgtech deserve more subs and views can have a sub from me.

The stats are laid out, no opinion just facts.

Don't get me wrong I like DF and sub there too but I wish DF added the receipts like vgtech does.

There's just no arguing with it.

PS5 is what they said, revolutionary.

Super efficient, seems like they did indeed push to reduce latency all over the system, eliminate bottlenecks etc.

This is why Cerny said its dangerous to rely on TF as they were tapping into the potential of a gpu etc to perform higher once said bottlenecks are removed.

Things like faster caches and cache scrubbers etc.

An amazing achievement and I hope we get a proper breakdown of its tech soon.
Yea he is the most detailed one by far

Leyasu

Banned
Even next-gen exclusive games won't push either of these consoles in the beginning. That's how game development works.

Example: Infamous Second Son was a PS4 exclusive (didn't release on PS3). The same developer created Ghost of Tsushima, which is miles ahead of Infamous in terms of graphical fidelity and technical prowess. Can we say that since InFamous SS was a (then) next-gen exclusive, it pushed the console to its limits? No.

This doesn't stop comparisons b/w consoles. It never did before. Why should it now?

I never said close the thread and wait until next year.

I said that these are cross gen games with sloppy performance patches. Nothing to worry about, and no proof of anything.

ethomaz

Banned

You can check which devkit was used in each game on Xbox itself.... there is very few games using the Xbox One X dev kit.... most of games uses GDK (the new Series X devkit).

Last edited:

Blood Borne

maybe, but sloppy patches should be an issue for both, but it just seems to be an issue for XSX.
There were games that ran better on the PS4 pro than Xbox one X and there was a much greater % power differential there.. This latest game shows no difference from the other games tested which is roughly parity with PS5 edging the stats.

I would expect similar results from any cross gen game currently, things may swing the other way slightly in the future if MS does have SDK improvements to make but for consoles releasing together with the same price point...
I don’t recall any game having better resolution and/or performance on Pro than XOX.
XOX always had the better resolution. In terms of frame rate, only in some few cases did it fare slightly worse on XOX, lots of times it was pretty much equal to Pro or better. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Leyasu

Banned
Weird how these bugs and sloppy patches keep being more common on the XSX than the PS5 game after game after game. Anyone would think one machine is actually marginally better than the other almost, but that can't be right,

I'm sure you're both correct and the PS5 being slightly better overall is just an error that will be corrected any time now.
What you honestly think that these launch games are the benchmark for the next 7yrs?

Top Bottom