• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech]Horizon Zero Dawn PS5 60fps Patch Frame Rate Test (Backwards Compatibility)

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

From VG Tech:

Horizon Zero Dawn PS5 frame rate test showing the framerate/fps on PlayStation 5 after the 60fps patch.

The version tested was 1.53. Note the PS5 is running this via backwards compatibility.

Patch 1.53 changes the 30fps cap to a 60fps cap when running the game on PS5.

Horizon Zero Dawn on PS5 renders at a resolution of 3840x2160 using a form of checkerboard rendering.

PlatformsPS5
Frame Amounts
Game Frames51363
Video Frames51398
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames0
Lowest Torn Line-
Frame Height2160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.68ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms
Maximum Frame Time33.33ms
Minimum Frame Time16.67ms
95th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms
99th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate59.96fps
Median Frame Rate60fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps
Minimum Frame Rate50fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate60fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate60fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms51328 (99.93%)
33.33ms35 (0.07%)
Other
Dropped Frames0
Runt Frames0
Runt Frame Thresholds20 rows

Solid, too bad we don't get a proper Ps5 update. However, horizon 2 is just around the corner. Will be fun to play dlc.

Kuranghi

I have the DLC to finish, some day (soon maybe)... Nice that we got that free.

I would've done it too but it was the first PS4 game I played, but on someone elses PS4, so when I got my PS4 Pro I bought the complete edition for something silly like £12.99 and was dismayed to find I needed to get kinda far to even start it and I gave up before I got there. Time to go back though now, hopefully will look a bit nicer IQ as well as the 60fps.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Oof that unstable frame rate!

/s

Surprised it still has to use checkerboard rendering though. Any word on the lower bounds and most common resolutions?

Last edited:

Arioco

/s

Surprised it still has to use checkerboard rendering though. Any word on the lower bounds and most common resolutions?

It's fixed 2160p CB, there's no dynamic resolution in place.

The only change is that they unlecked the frame rate, everything else is the same it was on PS4 Pro. Including, of course, the checkerboard.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

/s

Native 4K is expensive as fuck. On a base PS4 this game runs at 1080p30. 4K60 is 8x the pixels per second, and the GPU delta simply isn't that large between the two machines. In plain TF it's only about 5.6x (I know there's more to it than that, but still).

Last edited:

Banned

/s

when using checkerboarding you can't really use dynamic res (you can but it would look like ass). it's 2160cb locked, just like on PS4 Pro

and there is literally no way to not use the same res.
the PS5 has not even remotely enough GPU power to run it at native 4K (that would need roughly a 16 TFLOP/s GPU), and any resolution below that would come across like a downgrade from 2160cb for most people

Last edited:
when using checkerboarding you can't really use dynamic res (you can but it would look like ass). it's 2160cb locked, just like on PS4 Pro

the PS5 has not even remotely enough GPU power to run it at native 4K (that would need roughly a 16 TFLOP/s GPU), and any resolution below that would come across like a downgrade from 2160cb for most people

I think it also depends on how CB is done. Some games it looks terrible while others it looks great. RDR2 is an example of CBR done badly.

I played HZD on my Pro and it's CBR looks pretty good in my opinion. Having the same experience at 60FPs will be very good.

Mr Moose

PS4 is 1080p 30fps.
What would you need for 60fps? What would you need for 4k? It's not running at max settings.

Banned
PS4 is 1080p 30fps.
What would you need for 60fps? What would you need for 4k? It's not running at max settings.

PS4 pro handles the game at 1920x2160 + CB reconstruction and at 30fps

to run at 3840x2160 and at 60fps you would need about 4 times the GPU power compared to how the PS4 pro runs it (technically slightly less than 4x because the small overhead the checkerboard reconstruction costs will be gone). that is about 16TF

why 4 times? well 2x as many pixels from the resolution increase to 4K and 2x on top of that from the framerate increase.

basically Sony could have 2 choices here, run at native 4K and 30fps or run at checkerboard 4k and 60fps

since the checkerboard solution in this game is pretty convincing, any resolution change below 4K would to many people look worse than the 2160cb resolution the Pro runs at.

so Sony really has no choice here

the same reason Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 runs at 2160cb and not 2160p, they were able to slightly increase resolution here since the original PS4 Pro version only ran at 1800cb, so there was some way to use the additional headroom they had by going to PS5 for a slight resolution boost

Last edited:

Mr Moose

PS4 pro handles the game at 1920x2160 + CB reconstruction and at 30fps

to run at 3840x2160 and at 60fps you would need about 4 times the GPU power compared to how the PS4 pro runs it (technically slightly less than 4x because the small overhead the checkerboard reconstruction costs will be gone). that is about 16TF

why 4 times? well 2x as many pixels from the resolution increase to 4K and 2x on top of that from the framerate increase.

basically Sony could have 2 choices here, run at native 4K and 30fps or run at checkerboard 4k and 60fps

since the checkerboard solution in this game is pretty convincing, any resolution change below 4K would to many people look worse than the 2160cb resolution the Pro runs at.

so Sony really has no choice here
1080p 30fps on PS4, CPU is at least 2x, GPU is at least 4x (it's 6+), it should have no problem running 4k 60fps at PS4 settings in a native app.
Because it's a BC game, we're stuck with 4KCB.

Banned
1080p 30fps on PS4, CPU is at least 2x, GPU is at least 4x (it's 6+), it should have no problem running 4k 60fps at PS4 settings in a native app.
Because it's a BC game, we're stuck with 4KCB.

not even native would come close to being able to run this at 4K60

goong from base PS4, 1080p30fps to a 2160p60fps is a lot.

you have to think about pixels per second here.
1080p30fps is 6,2208,000 pixels per second

2160p60fps is 497,664,000 pixels per second! an 8x increase in pixels per second rendered. so we are still coming out at roughly 15 TFLOP/s needed to run the exact same settings as base PS4 at 4K60fps

and I'm not entirely sure if base PS4 and PS4 pro run the same settings aside from resolution, or how stable the base PS4 version is.

edit: I have to add, that this would mean that the resolution/quality of effects/post processing would need to stay the same as well, which could look jarring at 4K, if you increase the resolution of these as well, the needed GPU power goes up with them.
so this is literally base PS4 graphics, simply running at 4K60fps, no enhancements whatsoever to the image, textures, effects, post processing or anything else. that would need about 15TF

Last edited:

Mr Moose

not even native would come close to being able to run this at 4K60

goong from base PS4, 1080p30fps to a 2160p60fps is a lot.

you have to think about pixels per second here.
1080p30fps is 6,2208,000 pixels per second

2160p60fps is 497,664,000 pixels per second! an 8x increase in pixels per second rendered. so we are still coming out at roughly 15 TFLOP/s needed to run the exact same settings as base PS4 at 4K60fps
Weird, a 5700XT can handle it before it was fixed.

9.75 TFLOPs and not console settings.
It was fixed way after this video, btw:
Runs decent on PC now.

Last edited:

Banned
Weird, a 5700XT can handle it before it was fixed.

9.75 TFLOPs and not console settings.
It was fixed way after this video, btw:
Runs decent on PC now.

first of all, this video drops frames all the time, going down below 50fps at times.
secondly, the description reads "optimised settings", so is that above PS4? below? I don't know. could mean dynamic res is set to on for example

we would need an example of exact PS4 settings running at a perfect 4K60fps I bet you would a bit more power than that.

of course it could be that Horizon didn't really push the PS4 that much and there was a lot of resources left to be tapped into. which means that requirement woild go down.

if we assume that the PS4 is utilised to the point of it just about being able to run Horizon at 1080p30, then that would mean a 15TF GPU would be needed to run at 4k60

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Except these things are never like this, like a linear scaling. Would be nice, but architecture and all that shit plays a huge role, memory setup, etc, etc...

Top Bottom