• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] GreedFall PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

Fredrik

Thanks.

If someone has both systems and a VRR capable display it makes these comparisons a no brainer right now.
Yup, until Sony update PS5 with VRR as well. But at that point DF/NX/VG will have to find something else to talk about, because nobody will notice framedrops or tearing. It’s already at the point where few could spot which version is the best without looking at graphs and zoomed still pics.

JackMcGunns

The tears are basically drops. Does a new frame before last is finished to keep framerate

Exactly. Series X has a performance advantage here and therefore not tearing nearly as much.

This

Xbox Series X versions of games more or less win by default 100% of the time because of VRR imo

In previous cases it worked as a band-aid, but in this case it's the PS5 that stands to benefit with its awful tearing. Series X would do fine even without VRR here. Sony needs add VRR support asap.

I like the game but it's hard to believe it's native 4K in quality mode, there is blurring during movement from time to time on both machines, I just figured it was an issue due to a reconstruction method.

BigLee74

Screen tearing IS THE WORST, full stop. A drop in resolution I can handle easily, a small drop in frame rate makes my teeth itch but is bearable, but torn frames all over the shop? Argh. Way too distracting visually, and will result in a quick uninstall.

twilo99

Screen tearing IS THE WORST, full stop. A drop in resolution I can handle easily, a small drop in frame rate makes my teeth itch but is bearable, but torn frames all over the shop? Argh. Way too distracting visually, and will result in a quick uninstall.

Why drop resolution when you can smooth things out with VRR? I'm starting to think that the lack vrr support on the PS5 has nothing to do with the hardware and more to do with some politics/marketing regarding their TV lineup.

Topher

Gold Member
This is like saying PC games on ultra has different code than running on medium.

No GIF

J_Gamer.exe

The tears are basically drops. Does a new frame before last is finished to keep framerate
Its just when I've seen most other tearing it's been when the framerate is below target, there it wasn't and was not in a stressful area so no need to struggle. Seemed odd.

Also get rid of the bad frame pacing and its more tearing vs more drops. Obviously tearing is worse to looks at id say.

But not much of a performance difference to me.

J_Gamer.exe

That Joe Miller is one of the biggest clown shoes I've ever seen. Imagine being that invested lol.
He does seem a bit of a fanboy, however he's not wrong it does outperform in some sections and overall the average is higher.

You might not want to play the PS5 version with the frame pacing though.

Does the tearing mean its not v synced? Or is it related to something else?

It seems whenever there a performance difference between the consoles a lot of the time one is higher res come at the cost of less frames, so same difference.

You could say similar here maybe, less frames but less tearing.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
He does seem a bit of a fanboy, however he's not wrong it does outperform in some sections and overall the average is higher.

It seems whenever there a performance difference between the consoles a lot of the time one is higher res come at the cost of less frames, so same difference.

Yeah the game must not be v synced on ps5, depending on the v sync on xbox it will drop more frames to make sure the image is being updated without tearing. It's probably the reason for the steep drop in that fight for a short period on the xboz, or it could just be an anomaly. Seems to sort itself out after a second or so.

The funny thing is the xbox has vrr which would remove tearing, but it is better to have v sync on instead of the awful torn frames on the ps5 version.

Tearing is rank.

J_Gamer.exe

Yeah the game must not be v synced on ps5, depending on the v sync on xbox it will drop more frames to make sure the image is being updated without tearing. It's probably the reason for the steep drop in that fight for a short period on the xboz, or it could just be an anomaly. Seems to sort itself out after a second or so.

The funny thing is the xbox has vrr which would remove tearing, but it is better to have v sync on instead of the awful torn frames on the ps5 version.

Tearing is rank.
The question is would adding vsync make the ps5 drop as hard, can't remember the average performance penalty it adds but at times ps5 is at at least 60 and series x at 53.

I dont think it adds that much to apply v sync, but await more info.

Vrr is a good feature and clear xbox advantage currently, but shouldn't be used to gauge the raw performance of each system.

Which once again in this situation if all things were the same looks like being virtually equal.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The question is would adding vsync make the ps5 drop as hard, can't remember the average performance penalty it adds but at times ps5 is at at least 60 and series x at 53.

Vrr is a good feature and clear xbox advantage currently, but shouldn't be used to gauge the raw performance of each system.

Which once again in this situation if all things were the same looks like being virtually equal.
Ywap, u would also say that this game deffo is not the game to judge the raw performance of the system. The ps5 has some strange odd drops at the beginning then the xbox has a large drop at the start of that boss fight thing then completely sorts itself out. Seems like they both have their issues but regular tearing is much worse than frame drops in my opinion. It's the worst thing ever.

Last edited:

Basically looking at the stats the ps5 is dropping 1600 more frames then Xbox. All those tears would be a dropped frame if it was vsynced
Am I dreaming or something? PS5 literally has better average framerate than XBOX and a higher minimum frame rate too. It's more performant. Whatever's causing the tearing, it's not performance.
It's tearing instead of dropping frames. It is caused by performance

Vsync would make the ps5 drop every time it tears.

Am I dreaming or something? PS5 literally has better average framerate than XBOX and a higher minimum frame rate too. It's more performant. Whatever's causing the tearing, it's not performance.

Why do you think devs turn Vsync off in the first place? You think they just like the aesthetic of seeing a line in the middle of the screen?

J_Gamer.exe

Ywap, u would also say that this game deffo is not the game to judge the raw performance of the system. The ps5 has some strange odd drops at the beginning then the xbox has a large drop at the start of that boss fight thing then completely sorts itself out. Seems like they both have their issues but regular tearing is much worse than frame drops in my opinion. It's the worst thing ever.
Yeah probably just another quick patch for all new consoles anyway, hardly tapping in to what they can do id imagine.

But yes tearing is shit to look at for sure, maybe they'll patch it again.

J_Gamer.exe

Thats what I said, am not an expert but whenever I've seen it its been dropped frames when it tears. 🤷

So it is performing better, but certainly isnt playing better especially with the frame pacing.

But pure performance is higher.

Even it if didn't have vsync, youd only expect tearing when below 60 surely.....?

Yes, but on that clip, there is no tearing when big drop at the beginning. Only a few tear at the end unlike the xss. So using that clip is not misleading at all. You also see tear on the sx too but it's less. See the graph below.
jsKAJma.jpg
It's tearing in that picture.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yes, but on that clip, there is no tearing when big drop at the beginning. Only a few tear at the end unlike the xss. So using that clip is not misleading at all. You also see tear on the sx too but it's less. See the graph below.
jsKAJma.jpg
There is a bad tear right in the middle of that PS5 shot which to me is 10X worse then some dropped frames especially with VRR unless I am missing your point here

Yes, see the clip again there is no tearing at the beginning.
See blow where the ps5 have major tearing unrelated to the clip.
Read the tearing start at 7:09.
jcjxTYT.jpg
After brushing up on learning I've decided some of what I said was wrong, so just disregard it all to be safe haha.

Kangx

There is a bad tear right in the middle of that PS5 shot which to me is 10X worse then some dropped frames especially with VRR unless I am missing your point here
Read my respond again. The tear only occur at the end of that clip. At the beginning to the middle where is no tearing, the ps5 locked at 60 and the series x drop frame. Read the description vgtech post as an example where the ps5 has extended tear. See my next post again.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Imagine trying to argue that the PS5 has a ~0.2 avg higher frame rate so it performs better when it has like like 1700 torn frames vs 70 lol. Maybe do some reading on what a torn frame is and what causes it and then come back to the conversation.

A 0.2fps difference is completely unnoticeable, literally can’t see it with VRR. Torn frames are very noticeable.

Md Ray

Or you can just get a VRR TV.
If performance is that important to a person they should have a VRR capable display.
I have a VRR display, no issues for me. Someone gaming on a budget like on the Series S most likely wouldn't be using a VRR TV with Series S.

"Just get a VRR TV" is a poor excuse for poor perf.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I don't see PS5 struggling to hold 60fps like the Series S. It's even better than SX framerate-wise.

All they have to do is fix their Vsync implementation, switch from adaptive Vsync to forced Vsync on PS5 to eliminate tearing.

I don't see how this could be an issue with PS5 "struggling" when I'm seeing tearing in the exact same position on the bottom of the screen that VG Tech references when moving around on the world map. I mean....the world map is just a static image with position icons and it has screen tearing? Nah.....this has got to be a Vsync problem like you said.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Side question.

Why the hell is the game called Greedfall? I've never played it.

The player is greedy? The arch villains are greedy? Everyone is Scrooge? lol

Top Bottom