• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] GreedFall PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

Topher

Gold Member

The versions tested were 1.0.5.0 on Xbox and 1.002.000 on PS5.

Timestamps:
0:00 - Performance Mode
8:37 - Quality Mode

PS5 in performance mode can occasionally experience frame pacing issues. The frame pacing issues can make the game look like it is briefly dropping to 30fps because every other frame rendered by the game only makes up a relatively small amount of the frame delivered to the screen. These frame pacing issues can be seen during the opening clip.

PS5 in performance mode can sometimes have tearing at the bottom of the screen for extended periods of time which can be seen at 7:09

PS5 and Xbox Series X in performance mode both render at a native resolution of 2560x1440. Xbox Series S in performance mode renders at a native resolution of 1600x900.

PS5 and Xbox Series X in quality mode both render at a native resolution of 3840x2160.

Xbox Series S in quality mode renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080.

Quality mode has improvements to draw distance over performance mode on all three consoles.

PS5 and Xbox Series X have improved texture quality compared to Xbox Series S.

Stats: https://bit.ly/3xQzEoZ

Frames Pixel Counted: https://bit.ly/3rl7hwB

wv0xdIn.jpg

Last edited:

amigastar

Never played Greedfall but i'm hearing good things about it and that its underrated, maybe when i finish Elex i'll try it out.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Frame pacing...the game already felt like crap to play.

I'm playing it on my PS5. I notice the frame pacing issue occasionally, but overall it plays fine. I do notice some screen tearing, but only when moving around on the map, oddly enough.

The first time I played Greedfall was on PS4 Pro and that was indeed was some crappy performance.

Last edited:
Never got the frame pacing complaints. I notice drops but not pacing somehow or i just dont recall it. Like with Bloodborne for example and I played through it multiple times.

elliot5

yeesh the tearing and frame pacing is terrible in performance on PS5 and pretty bad on XSS too. Seems like the 30 fps mode was the target mode as that appears to be smooth.. perf would require more optimization but its a eurojank game so

Duchess

Never played Greedfall but i'm hearing good things about it and that its underrated
I enjoyed the game much more than I expected to, and am really hoping for a sequel.

If you've got access to it via PS Now or GamePass (if it's there..?) then do give it a go. It's a long game; took me ~50 hours to finish, but I never found it tedious.

It's not without its faults, of course, but I was willing to forgive them given it's not a huge AAA studio release.

Last edited:

Danknugz

I enjoyed the game much more than I expected to, and am really hoping for a sequel.

If you've got access to it via PS Now or GamePass (if it's there..?) then do give it a go. It's a long game; took me ~50 hours to finish, but I never found it tedious.

It's not without its faults, of course, but I was willing to forgive them given it's not a huge AAA studio release.
It became one of those games for me that I felt like I needed to finish but was just a massive chore. I also ended up romancing a dude somehow

Fredrik

Havent watched the video (cant just yet) is it VRR making that difference here?

Sony needs to get off their asses and turn some shit on
Yeah this is what gsync/freesync/VRR is good for, it completely mask out these small drops.
Only problem, you need a new TV to get it, possibly a new AVR as well if that’s how you connect your consoles.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
“Another one” and all that.

It is quite interesting how outside of that first round of launch games, the Xbox has had the better version of almost every game that DF/VGT/etc have tested. Really does throw weight behind the “tools weren’t ready” meme doesn’t it?

Sony need to pull their finger out and get VRR on the PS5. I would love to know what the hold up is.

Game looks garbage btw.

amigastar

It's indeed available on PC Gamepass which i have. I will make sure to try it out.

Last edited:

Neo_game

Yep. Screen tearing shouldn't happen regardless, but seeing it on my 43" Freesync monitor isn't cool at all. I don't understand what Sony is waiting on.

Even their latest OLED TV has no VRR support yet and is expected to arrive winter. So I guess it should be same for PS5.

Chukhopops

Another win for XSX but it feels hollow when the game itself is so bad. I wanted to like Greedfall (since it’s a genre I love) but it’s ugly, shallow, full of bugs and tedious. Even on GP I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

Topher

Gold Member

It really is a well-done game for such a small studio. They certainly make a better Bioware-ish game than Bioware does these days.

Glad the realisation that VRR is an incredibly important feature is now being accepted, vindicated again.

Actually, most of us just want Sony to add VRR so you can shut up about it.

just kidding jk GIF

:messenger_tongue:

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I want it for my PS5 and X900H as well but until that day arrives its still huge for those who own said displays

Seems like it really has only been the last couple of games analyzed that have had this tearing problem. I don't get it. Why isn't vsync being used? I'm just poking fun at Riky Riky but he is right that this is tech that needs to be implemented on PS5. Taking way too long for this.

Same shit

What is? This and BC? No, it isn't.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I wouldn't even consider any third party games on my PS5 until it's added.
I have said it before and it still stands.

I love my PS5 for the exclusives but I play everything else on the Series X.

For things that matter to me like VRR, 1440p support, working SSD expansion way prefer the Xbox controller with back paddles and trigger stops on the Elite as it stands the Series X (FOR ME) is the superior piece of tech (RIGHT NOW)

Enough disclaimers?

Same shit

Wait What GIF

J_Gamer.exe

“Another one” and all that.

It is quite interesting how outside of that first round of launch games, the Xbox has had the better version of almost every game that DF/VGT/etc have tested. Really does throw weight behind the “tools weren’t ready” meme doesn’t it?

Sony need to pull their finger out and get VRR on the PS5. I would love to know what the hold up is.

Game looks garbage btw.
Not so there have been close calls both ways, xbox has had a few often with some worse iq often due to vrs. I can't remember them all but certainly there have been some better on ps5.

Even in this video ps5 has some issues with the frame pacing which needs sorting, but the frame rate is higher on average and thats at the same res as xbox. Xbox has more drops here but obviously frame pacing is an issue no one wants.

People said ps5 couldn't outperform xbox at the same res......

I'm not an expert but ps5 was tearing with no frame rate drops at one point, not the usual situation?

Usually when I've seen tearing the framerate is dropping no?

Not so there have been close calls both ways, xbox has had a few often with some worse iq often due to vrs. I can't remember them all but certainly there have been some better on ps5.

Even in this video ps5 has some issues with the frame pacing which needs sorting, but the frame rate is higher on average and thats at the same res as xbox. Xbox has more drops here but obviously frame pacing is an issue no one wants.

People said ps5 couldn't outperform xbox at the same res......

I'm not an expert but ps5 was tearing with no frame rate drops at one point, not the usual situation?

Usually when I've seen tearing the framerate is dropping no?
The tears are basically drops. Does a new frame before last is finished to keep framerate

intbal

Somewhat annoying/amusing that this game engine was actually invented by Sony for Playstation consoles.

Top Bottom