• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Vg Tech] Gran Turismo 7 PS5 vs PS4/Pro Frame Rate Comparison

ethomaz

Banned
Ohhh I forget to say.

There is something really fish here... the YouTube video didn't show the actual difference between the versions.
I will try to post PS4 and PS5 direct pics later.

FrankWza

Did you delivery cut the image?

Stress
mWKKLwt.png

Non-Stress
7bu5qG0.png

There is nothing to discuss when even at Stress test the game runs 98.46% of time at 60fps.
Is this true? It was cut off?

ethomaz

Banned
Is this true? It was cut off?
Yes... he cut exactly at that part.
I mean why cut the next 3 lines?

ethomaz

Banned
I cut the images because I was working on a 13 inch laptop. It's not a conspiracy lmao

Game isn't a rock solid 60, especially under stress conditions. Doesn't necessarily need VRR, DRS would help too.
But the data you cut shows it is rock solid 60fps even in Stress test.

Not to say about actual gameplay well 99.81%.

Last edited:
I think what’s being said is that 99% of the time VRR wouldn’t do anything. But for 1% of the time it would help. I wouldn’t say this game desperately needs VRR since the frame rate is extremely stable. But it would be nice to have for those 1% drops but I would probably not notice them myself.

ethomaz

Banned
I think what’s being said is that 99% of the time VRR wouldn’t do anything. But for 1% of the time it would help. I wouldn’t say this game desperately needs VRR since the frame rate is extremely stable. But it would be nice to have for those 1% drops but I would probably not notice them myself.
It would be nice to have VRR for others games like Elden Ring for example... I agree with that.
With this game I'm not even sure if it will help at all plus there is the issues with color and gama with VRR on.

The most weird thing was somebody in the last thread saying that PD should copy Turn 10 and make locked 60fps... well turn out the results are very similar to Forza games that most here says to have perfect framerate.

Why bring other franchises into this thread, you're just asking for platform warring ...
Because the drops are very similar.
And somebody in the DF thread said Forza 7 had flawless framerate.

Last edited:
It would be nice to have VRR for others games like Elden Ring for example... I agree with that.
With this game I'm not even sure if it will help at all plus there is the issues with color and game with VRR on.

True but I like to see VRR being used in rare drops instead of a necessity for smoother performance.

Edit: I’m not shitting on VRR BTW.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Because the drops are very similar.
And somebody in the DF thread said Forza 7 had flawless framerate.

I mean if you're going to be so pedantic about it.

The lowest drop in GT is 44 FPS:

The lowest drop in Forza 7's demo (since VGTech did not cover the full game) is 58 FPS.

-

But there wasn't any need to drag in Forza into this GT thread.

ethomaz

Banned

The lowest drop in Forza 7's demo (since VGTech did not cover the full game) is 58 FPS.

-

99.87% vs 99.81%

Last edited:

-

To me both a pretty much locked 60FPS titles.

onQ123

I cut the images because I was working on a 13 inch laptop. It's not a conspiracy lmao

Game isn't a rock solid 60, especially under stress conditions. Doesn't necessarily need VRR, DRS would help too.
I'm on a 12" Surface Pro 7 & I'm able to screen cap the whole sheet with room to spare

(It's not the size of your boat but the resolution in the ocean )

GZt9mwV.jpg

Killer8

Did you delibere cut the image?

Stress
mWKKLwt.png

Non-Stress
7bu5qG0.png

There is nothing to discuss when even at Stress test the game runs 98.46% of time at 60fps.

You are focusing too much on mean performance and frame time counts and using that to discount very real performance deficits.

Yes the game runs at 60fps the vast majority of the time. Nobody is denying that and every analysis video has said as much. The game also has some performance drops in stressful circumstances (rain races with a lot of cars and alpha effects on screen). The two are not mutually exclusive.

Here is an example using simple math of why mean performance and frame time count can be deceptive. Let's say:

Game A runs at 60fps. In a 120 second video clip, the game drops to 57fps for 5 seconds.

Total frames = 115x60 (6900) + 5x57 (285) = 7185 frames

Game B also runs at 60fps. In a 120 second video clip, the game nosedives to 20fps for 2 seconds.

Total frames = 118x60 (7080) + 2x20 (40) = 7120 frames

Both scenarios are producing mean performance within 1% difference of each other. If you just looked at that number, it would seem like it's negligible. However, it's obvious that Game B's performance profile is going to be much worse from an end user experience. Game A is a slight drop of 3fps for a few seconds which people may shrug off, or not even notice if they aren't sensitive to FPS. Game B is momentarily dropping 40fps off a cliff, which would make it feel suddenly unplayable (see: Elden Ring's performance issues on PC for a real world example of this). You could even twist the statistics and claim that Game B ran 'better' because it technically adhered to the 16.67ms frame time more (for 118 frames versus 115 for Game A).

All of the above is a more extreme example than GT7, but it articulates why you can't just pick a few metrics - you also need to take into account percentile frame rates to judge performance as a whole. Now, back to Gran Turismo 7:

IS1Uv4f.png

The 5th percentile suggests that yes, it is sometimes experiencing significant drops from its 60fps target. Minimum frame rate can be an important metric too because it can catch freak dips, but in many games can sometimes just be a one off that occurs eg. as a loading stutter. Something like 5th percentile would more accurately reveal more sustained drops, which it does here - the statistics describe exactly the behavior in the video at this timestamp:

Over 1 whole minute (3600 frames) of sustained 10-15fps dip, hitting as low as 45fps, before rebounding to 60fps once the number of cars and alpha effects clears up. Worth noting that it also wouldn't have cleared up as quickly had the player not made progress ie. if they were stuck behind all those alpha effects being rendered out the back of the cars.

I'm not the only one suggesting VRR to alleviate these issues (timestamped):

"It's something that could be cleaned up with VRR or dynamic resolution scaling but alas this is what we have in these situations"

So, why 'needs' VRR? The alternative is dynamic resolution, which is undesirable imo since one of the biggest bonuses of the game is its native 4K presentation. It also seems like an excessive solution to solve something so uncommon. Another alternative is reducing the alpha effect quality to match PS4, which would be another degradation. So yes, it does 'need' VRR, as that is the only option you can take if you want to mitigate the impact of these issues without compromising quality.

It's also, you know, a free feature done via hardware which the console is already capable of, but has not been implemented in 1.5 years after launch. My own hunch is it's because of internal Sony politics because their own Bravia TVs didn't feature it till only a few weeks ago. It would be somewhat embarrassing if their flagship console didn't have VRR on their flagship TV range, but did on say LG sets.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You are focusing too much on mean performance and frame time counts and using that to discount very real performance deficits.

Yes the game runs at 60fps the vast majority of the time. Nobody is denying that and every analysis video has said as much. The game also has some performance drops in stressful circumstances (rain races with a lot of cars and alpha effects on screen). The two are not mutually exclusive.

Here is an example using simple math of why mean performance and frame time count can be deceptive. Let's say:

Game A runs at 60fps. In a 120 second video clip, the game drops to 57fps for 5 seconds.

Total frames = 115x60 (6900) + 5x57 (285) = 7185 frames

Game B also runs at 60fps. In a 120 second video clip, the game nosedives to 20fps for 2 seconds.

Total frames = 118x60 (7080) + 2x20 (40) = 7120 frames

Both scenarios are producing mean performance within 1% difference of each other. If you just looked at that number, it would seem like it's negligible. However, it's obvious that Game B's performance profile is going to be much worse from an end user experience. Game A is a slight drop of 3fps for a few seconds which people may shrug off, or not even notice if they aren't sensitive to FPS. Game B is momentarily dropping 40fps off a cliff, which would make it feel suddenly unplayable (see: Elden Ring's performance issues on PC for a real world example of this). You could even twist the statistics and claim that Game B ran 'better' because it technically adhered to the 16.67ms frame time more (for 118 frames versus 115 for Game A).

All of the above is a more extreme example than GT7, but it articulates why you can't just pick a few metrics - you also need to take into account percentile frame rates to judge performance as a whole. Now, back to Gran Turismo 7:

IS1Uv4f.png

The 5th percentile suggests that yes, it is sometimes experiencing significant drops from its 60fps target. Minimum frame rate can be an important metric too because it can catch freak dips, but in many games can sometimes just be a one off that occurs eg. as a loading stutter. Something like 5th percentile would more accurately reveal more sustained drops, which it does here - the statistics describe exactly the behavior in the video at this timestamp:

Over 1 whole minute (3600 frames) of sustained 10-15fps dip, hitting as low as 45fps, before rebounding to 60fps once the number of cars and alpha effects clears up. Worth noting that it also wouldn't have cleared up as quickly had the player not made progress ie. if they were stuck behind all those alpha effects being rendered out the back of the cars.

I'm not the only one suggesting VRR to alleviate these issues (timestamped):

"It's something that could be cleaned up with VRR or dynamic resolution scaling but alas this is what we have in these situations"

So, why 'needs' VRR? The alternative is dynamic resolution, which is undesirable imo since one of the biggest bonuses of the game is its native 4K presentation. It also seems like an excessive solution to solve something so uncommon. Another alternative is reducing the alpha effect quality to match PS4, which would be another degradation. So yes, it does 'need' VRR, as that is the only option you can take if you want to mitigate the impact of these issues without compromising quality.

It's also, you know, a free feature done via hardware which the console is already capable of, but has not been implemented in 1.5 years after launch. My own hunch is it's because of internal Sony politics because their own Bravia TVs didn't feature it till only a few weeks ago. It would be somewhat embarrassing if their flagship console didn't have VRR on their flagship TV range, but did on say LG sets.

Man.

The stress scenario is made up and can only be archived if you set a race in a form you will get all the 20 cars on screen at beginning.
After that the the cars disperse and there is no more stress test.

Plus the one outliers in performance is Trail Montain ou 36 tracks.

I means I’m not even sure why you guys are discussing performance in a game that runs 99.83% of time at 60fps.

BTW they releases a new patch yesterday.
Fixed the slide issue not changing the IQ at first time setup.

Last edited:

Boxster17

All this does is stifle the online community. That's it. GT Sport was made for online so that aspect of the game should have been kept intact, now it's more or less a broken ass community with barely any rooms up. So yes, I have a problem for breaking something that wasn't broken before. If you want to grind the single player go for it, part of GT right.

Now I can't race with my friends in a specific car with specific conditions because the expectation for all of them was to grind that specific car and use credits to put some proper tires on for example. A huge step backwards for the online.

I get that not everyone likes the tuning, and I'll agree that they should bring back some of the options from Sport. That being said, there are a lot of people that missed this sort of tuning and after asking for it all these years, to strip it all out would be extremely frustrating.

I also don't see how grinding for credits in Sport to buy a car is any different than in this game? Or are people just upset that you no longer get a free car every day from the roulette wheel? If you want to just race different cars, then throw some Sport Soft tires on for like 10k and have at it - not sure I understand why that's such a huge issue? Or is it mainly a time/convenience thing?

I would be all for them adding in some BOP type racers alongside the existing PP ones they have. GT Sport had a lot of tweaks and content added over the lifetime of the game, and I think it's safe to say you'll see something similar here.

EDIT: I will add that not being able to sell cars is a huge disappointment. That's clearly something they should've kept in the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom