• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech: Far Cry 6 PS5 & Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Test

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, hopefully digital foundry chimes in soon so we have more data to cross reference. I would think that if I was doing this as a serious thing that I would invest in the bleeding edge of pc tech too.

You can't be doing these comparisons on aged hardware. An old AMD chip and 2070 ain't gonna cut it I'm afraid.

dEvAnGeL

NXG always seems to get numbers at odds with both Digital Foundry and VG Tech, Metro Exodus was the same thing. His Kena comparison was also strikingly different in the pixel counting. No ways is the Performance Mode on that game ~1800p.

As for accuracy, VG Tech is the only one to actually provide images for you to pixel count yourself.
I wouldn't call twice always......

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
^its perfectly fine to test on his 2070 paired with a oldish CPU. But then the test is about how his SYSTEM performs and not necessarily how a 2070 performs. For that a reviewer needs to be reasonably sure that the GPU under review is not bottlenecked in any way.

This is fair I suppose. I heard even a 3080 can't run this properly at 4k with the HD texture pack so you probs need a 3080 ti? Not sure.

yamaci17

NXG with his old 2700x is going to suffer a lot in this game lol

that cpu can barely get 35-45 fps in this game at times, where a 5600x gets 65-70 fps cpu bound

its eol for zen/zen+/zen 2 products, i hope he stops using that old cpu

again, i'm not bashing on this cpu particularly. its just that there's simply no setting, tweak or optimization you can do to get more CPU performance out of games. i mean some settings affect CPU performance, but they're rare and usually do not amount to much of a difference.

meanwhile on the gpu end, even if you have a low end gpu, you can make it work 60+ fps by tweaking graphical settings, resolutions and such.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sticky...

Rick And Morty Hands GIF by Adult Swim

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Arioco

^its perfectly fine to test on his 2070 paired with a oldish CPU. But then the test is about how his SYSTEM performs and not necessarily how a 2070 performs. For that a reviewer needs to be reasonably sure that the GPU under review is not bottlenecked in any way.

Dude, any comparison tests how A SYSTEM performs. There's no such thing as a 2070. A 2070 can't run games by itself, so like any other graphic card its performance will depend on many other parts of the system as much as the depend on the graphic card itself.

Arioco

where is the DF Analysis for Far Cry 6 at? I guess Alex Bagtaglia found some settings to be higher at PS5 and franticly sends out Emails to the Devs because he want have "clarification" eheh

Apparently reflections are different on Series S/X and PS5, yep.

It's weird VGTech or NXGamer didn't mention it.

Dude, any comparison tests how A SYSTEM performs. There's no such thing as a 2070. A 2070 can't run games by itself, so like any other graphic card its performance will depend on many other parts of the system as much as the depend on the graphic card itself.
Um no, if the GPU is the bottleneck it shows how that GPU performs. So there is valid GPU benches that aren't system benches, same for CPU if you make that the bottleneck with very low res

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
this cpu is probably closer to consoles level cpu than i9 10900k used by df

But we shouldn't be comparing comparable specs. PC should be using a cpu that is in no way bottlenecking the GPU like a 2700x would. Let that gpu soar imo.

When I go to a comparison I want to know what a high end PC can do with the game and if it's a good port. This is obviously just what I look for.

sncvsrtoip

But we shouldn't be comparing comparable specs. PC should be using a cpu that is in no way bottlenecking the GPU like a 2700x would. Let that gpu soar imo.

When I go to a comparison I want to know what a high end PC can do with the game and if it's a good port. This is obviously just what I look for.
imo if somebody want to compare pc gpu to consoles gpu should also use similar level gpu to be 100% sure cpu is not a factor in comparison

assurdum

Banned
where is the DF Analysis for Far Cry 6 at? I guess Alex Bagtaglia found some settings to be higher at PS5 and franticly sends out Emails to the Devs because he want have "clarification" eheh
It seems you wasn't wrong at all. Vegetation LOD seems higher on ps5. But obviously that's just slightly, barely perceivable, where on XSX you see immediately such "noticeable" difference in sharpeness. It's always fascinating how they change their adjectives when positive and negative circumstances affect different consoles.

Last edited:

Arioco

imo if somebody want to compare pc gpu to consoles gpu should also use similar level gpu to be 100% sure cpu is not a factor in comparison

There's no way you can compare a PC GPU to a console GPU, that's the question. You can't change the CPU on the console so you never now where it's bottlenecking the system. All you can do is compare one whole system to another whole system. 🤷‍♂️

sncvsrtoip

There's no way you can compare a PC GPU to a console GPU, that's the question. You can't change the CPU on the console so you never now where it's bottlenecking the system. All you can do is compare one whole system to another whole system. 🤷‍♂️
Defenitly you can as console are so similar to pc now just use cpu with similar perf level

martino

no because cpu with console frequency doesn't exist and you will never use them this way so this is dumb.
the approach to use a representative cpu for a gaming pc is good.
but 2700 is not that.it's not common, it has the CCX interconnect and a worst ipc than a i7 7600
There are more common cpu better for gaming
And no PC bought in the same timeframe than current gen will limit a 2070 like his config
No matter how you look at it his test is simply bad and only representative of a strange niche at best.

Last edited:
I've played about 18 hours of the PS5 version so far. I've mostly been enjoying it but the game is very, very derivative and it doesn't take long before repetition sets in and I started to feel I'd seen everything the game had to offer even though I've only uncovered about 20-25% of the map. Typical Ubisoft open-world design then!

What really disappoints me about the PS5 version is the amount of screen tearing I'm seeing. I'd say it occurs about 70% of the time, basically anytime you engage in combat or any kind of driving or riding. This manifests as fullscreen wobble which is extremely distracting not to mention ugly to see on a 55" OLED TV in 2021. The game simply cannot hold a locked 60 fps even with a dynamic resolution and frequently drops below causing single frame tears even while exploring in quiet areas, both outdoors and even indoors. The developers need to make the dynamic resolution far more aggressive to keep the game locked at 60 fps. This amount of screen tearing in a late 2021 is inexcusable in my opinion and you only have to look at the less powerful Xbox Series S to see that a more stable 60 fps cannot be achieved if you adjust the resolution so the game can drop lower than it currently does. Personally, I would take a smoother tear-free 60 fps over a higher resolution. The game doesn't hit 4K native anyway so what difference does it make if the resolution is a bit lower?

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Looked 4K to me. It may be the form of anti-aliasing they're using that may give it a "softer" appearance, but I quite like it. Looks really organic. I DO wish all games had a letterboxed ultra-wide mode like Death Stranding Def. Edition on PS5. It's sooooo good.
You were closer than me then :) I did think it could be the AA.

Top Bottom