• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech: Far Cry 6 PS5 & Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Test

That is not what I said.

The DRS is set for 2160p in this game… that is how DRS works… you set a target resolution (2160p) and how aggressive it will be… after that the resolution is dynamic choose by runtime based in how much the GPU can do to reach the target framerate.

If the GPU can’t do 60fps with the resolution it will drop a bit (the bit is different for light or aggressive choose).

That doesn’t means the target resolution will be reached… the GPU can stay below that making you think the highest resolution is lower than target resolution.

Yea, I see what you're saying. Makes sense. And then I think they probably reconstruct up to 4K after that fact? Not sure.

Both are unrelated.

The DRS is set to 2160p and the max resolution depends how much the GPU can do… so it can even be lower than 1908p.
DRS can be set to any resolution figure and then dynamically scale depending on load, the PS5 version is set at a lower resolution.

ethomaz

Banned
DRS can be set to any resolution figure and then dynamically scale depending on load, the PS5 version is set at a lower resolution.
Doesn’t seems like that.
Seems like both are set to 2160p.
The PS5 just can’t reach there so the DRS drops the resolution below that all the time.

No dev will choose if even possible DRS at 1908p… there are already pre-defined profiles for DRS like 1080p, 1440p, 1800p and 2160p.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Ok, but then surely if you were to look at the sky or the ground the PS5 version would reach that resolution, correct?
Maybe… depends of the engine and how the sky is rendered.

In any case 1908p is the highest VGTech found in his 5 minutes play… the highest can be different in others places.

Last edited:
Screen tearing is an issue in all versions.
Series S is the version that do that better in that regard but it still have some screen tearing.

PS5 and Series X has around 20x more screen tearing than Series S.

It is really something devs should work to avoid it… it is pretty bad.

VRR solves that for Series X on CX screens like mine. So on Series X this game is 100% flawless performance wise due to VRR, if you have a TV that supports it that is. Would do nothing for me on my TCL though. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I need to hurry up and stop being lazy and get that damn TCL out of that other bedroom. Don't know why I'm procrastinating on that. Got another CX in the box unopened. Going to fix that this weekend if my schedule allows.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
VRR solves that for Series X on CX screens like mine. Would do nothing for me on my TCL though. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I need to hurry up and stop being lazy and get that damn TCL out of that other bedroom. Don't know why I'm procrastinating on that. Got another CX in the box unopened. Going to fix that this weekend if my schedule allows.
Well it is good to have a TV that fix that.
But screen tearing is bad development imo… you should not need to fix it to begin with.

Last edited:
VRR solves that for Series X on CX screens like mine. So on Series X this game is 100% flawless performance wise due to VRR, if you have a TV that supports it that is. Would do nothing for me on my TCL though. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Stealth brag post Mr moneybags

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Downloading now. I know I should have waited for a sale, but I am just in a Far Cry kind of mood. Also, siccing a croc on someone’s ass just sounds fun and hilarious.

Nah upscale from 1908p will give very close to 4k quality
You guys keep missing the point. Uts not 1908p or even 1800p on ps5 ...no way is that right. The game looks way lower in gameplay. Looks like it has a lower bounds of 1440p/or 1500 something on ps5. Elianis guy I would wager was way off on that but since he was the first to put up a video people are running with the 1800p number.

Mr Moose

You guys keep missing the point. Uts not 1908p or even 1800p on ps5 ...no way is that right. The game looks way lower in gameplay. Looks like it has a lower bounds of 1440p/or 1500 something on ps5. Elianis guy I would wager was way off on that but since he was the first to put up a video people are running with the 1800p number.
PS5 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3392x1908 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2944x1656.

sncvsrtoip

dude we know the stats ;d 1908p is upper bound, lower bound has only 8% less pixel than xsx(1656p vs 1728p) and both are on avarage around 1800p with slight xsx advantage, maybe you miss the point ;)

Last edited:
Doesn’t seems like that.
The PS5 just can’t reach there so the DRS drops the resolution below that all the time.

No dev will choose if even possible DRS at 1908p… there are already pre-defined profiles for DRS like 1080p, 1440p, 1800p and 2160p.

If anything it probably makes development easier on the devs.

Banned
Doesn’t seems like that.

developers chose to lock resolution in the past due to bandwidth concerns, which could lead to stutter

Well it is good to have a TV that fix that.
But screen tearing is bad development imo… you should not need to fix it to begin with.

I agree with you 100% But in fairness it's only 4% of the experience on PS5 and only 2% on Series X and less than 0.16% on Series S. But I admit, no tearing should be the proper thing. If they have to lower res ever so slightly, then they do so i guess.

The hardest part is whether to buy for PS5 or Series X. The resolution difference to me is too miniscule to matter. Can someone chime in on the Dualsense usage?

The res difference leads to a sharper and cleaner looking game more consistently on Xbox, even if both look great. Also, there's VRR, which if your TV can handle it is a pretty awesome feature.
Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

I'm pretty sure you're the one console warring if you're trying to pick out a winner when we all agree that the difference is minuscule.

You can definitely see the increased sharpness and picture clarity in the Series X picture for sure. The Dolby Vision being active makes it look damn good. I was conflicted on whether I wanted this game or not, but I'm going to give it a shot now. But only after I finish Avengers.

It's most noticeable in the driving sections. That seems to be where most of PS5's tearing takes place, and also where Series X has most of its tearing also.

Last edited:
Tell me you don't know what TAA is without telling me you don't know what TAA is:
Except there is no way the ps5 is averaging around 1800p. When traversing the open world during the day time it's very noticeable how much of a blurry mess this game can be on ps5. It's blurry as hell. I would wager its 1440p lower bounds at best. 1800p without checkerboarding is damn sharp. Far cry 5 on ps4 pro was what, 1600p? That looked cleaner than this.

Something is up with these tech dives. Nighttime is not noticeable but everything during day is characteristic of very low (1260 maybe) lower bounds DRS.

I think as more people play they will notice the same poor image quality that I'm seeing. DF will have some better insight into this. Remember Avengers ps5 situation?

Banned
Except there is no way the ps5 is averaging around 1800p. When traversing the open world during the day time it's very noticeable how much of a blurry mess this game can be on ps5. It's blurry as hell. I would wager its 1440p lower bounds at best. 1800p without checkerboarding is damn sharp. Far cry 5 on ps4 pro was what, 1600p? That looked cleaner than this.

Something is up with these tech dives. Nighttime is not noticeable but everything during day is characteristic of very low (1260 maybe) lower bounds DRS.

I think as more people play they will notice the same poor image quality that I'm seeing. DF will have some better insight into this. Remember Avengers ps5 situation?

well, some games have shitty AA, have you ever played Mirror's Edge Catalyst? specifically on a PC?
that game's TAA is so fucking bad that playing at 1440p looks like 900p... doubly bad because you can't turn it off! It's annoying and shows how bad TAA can be.

so I am not ruling out that FC6 simply has really bad TAA that us super blurry. Low precision TAA can do that, some PC games have different AA settings for AA sharpness, which will need more performance the higher you set it but the image will be way sharper if you do, while the lower settings will blur the image like crazy. (like in ME: Catalyst)

Last edited:

Banned
Wish I had VRR on my B7 OLED. Tearing is getting more frequent on Series X a couple of hours in. Especially when driving cars.

Not every game supports VRR, most do, but when it comes to Ubisoft, they don't have the best track record. for example, Watch Dogs 3 only supports VRR if you have your Xbox set to 120hz, it will not work at 60hz... because of course Ubisoft doesn't care (although, I haven't played it in some time, so maybe they patched it by now?)
although, Assassin's Creed does support it...

Aragami 2, a terribly made game in general, also won't support VRR, not even at 120hz (today came a big patch... maybe it works now?)

so VRR is not always saving you. and IMO Digital Foundry and VG Tech should ALWAYS test that, simply to make developers actually start to care... maybe

Last edited:

Rea

You are confirming you lied then. Great, thanks.
Eh, thats rude. maybe you didn't get my point because my post was not clearly stated. I didn't say any stuff about technical. What i was trying to say was "Visually there is no Lod" changes in UE5 demo. Which part did I lied?

I'm on ps5 and all of what u just wrote is utter rubbish. Just stop. You're no expert.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Really weird coming to these threads these days. Worthless differences in versions yet people are still stuck in 2020 teraflop talk.

Reactions: Rea

onesvenus

Eh, thats rude. maybe you didn't get my point because my post was not clearly stated. I didn't say any stuff about technical. What i was trying to say was "Visually there is no Lod" changes in UE5 demo. Which part did I lied?
Sorry if it sounded rude but you said there's no LOD. If you meant to say visually you should have said it

Boy bawang

This is really the closest 2 machines have been in any generation, no? I guess diminishing returns will give you this, but you've gotta be one hell of a console warrior to instigate conflict with such numbers.

Yeap about that lol

Both consoles uses DRS 2160p and Botha hits that resolution.

Since you're basing on NXGamer, VGTech gives the actual pictures to pixel count for yourself, so I don't know about him saying the PS5 baseline is 1728p. I counted the screenshots VG provided myself. Even his tearing figures seem off. Series S clearly tears a lot less than Series X and PS5, and yet he reports tearing figures on PS5 and Series X seemingly matching that of Series S? That's suspect based on the data we've seen. I get that they both record different footage and probably play and test in different ways, so one person's footage or captured frames may not lineup with another person's, but that's a pretty big departure. Guessing he did little to no driving sections or didn't bother much with nighttime?

You can actually see a visually software presentation on PS5 compared to Series X. So I'm sticking with VG on this one. Curious to see what DF comes up with.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
We’ll at least we know that if NX gamer is off, it will be highlighted. I just can’t agree with his series s comments. It seems the most stable frame rate wise. So it’s not matching up.

We’ll at least we know that if NX gamer is off, it will be highlighted. I just can’t agree with his series s comments. It seems the most stable frame rate wise. So it’s not matching up.

NXGamer NXGamer framerate software is pretty good even Digital Foundry says the same thing. It could be just the footage that recorded. I rarely ever see two comparisons be the same.

Fixed.

The 30fps norm on consoles will return within the next couple of years.

eventually but 60fps may last quite a bit longer due to the huge bump in CPU power. I’m hoping most companies keep chasing frames since it makes such a huge difference in the way the game feels. Far Cry 6 is SO much better at 60fps that I’d be happy to take 1080p60 over 4K30 later in the generation.

eventually but 60fps may last quite a bit longer due to the huge bump in CPU power. I’m hoping most companies keep chasing frames since it makes such a huge difference in the way the game feels. Far Cry 6 is SO much better at 60fps that I’d be happy to take 1080p60 over 4K30 later in the generation.

Definitely it would be great if they kept options for performance and quality modes in the future. Plus with a good reconstruction technique games can still look great even at lower resolutions.

Edit: With that said maybe the XSS will be the only system that looks bad at 60FPs. But we have to wait and see if it happens.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Well we know NXG is wrong about the lower bound for PS5 resolution because VG provide their screenshots where they counted a lower resolution so people can confirm it for themselves.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Well we know NXG is wrong about the lower bound for PS5 resolution because VG provide their screenshots where they counted a lower resolution so people can confirm it for themselves.
No one is wrong. That's the nature of dynamic resolution, the numbers will vary based on how much the engine is stressed.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
No one is wrong. That's the nature of dynamic resolution, the numbers will vary based on how much the engine is stressed.

I agree. And knowing the typical resolution during a game is much more important than the edge cases regardless. This seems a lot like looking entirely at the low 1% of frame rates. It is useful information, but the average or the most common frame rate is what gamers will seen for the most part.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

This makes sense, if nx gamer used a less stressful area it may be able to hit 4k more often, have a higher lower bounds and less tearing.

Thing is, this is the second time NXG testing was found wanting. The job of the tech reviewer is to give a decent effort to locate a place where the engine is stressed to see how low resolution can go. Upper limit is easy (just look at the sky or a wall). NXG overestimated the lower resolution bound of Kena, and now this.

Zathalus

NXG always seems to get numbers at odds with both Digital Foundry and VG Tech, Metro Exodus was the same thing. His Kena comparison was also strikingly different in the pixel counting. No ways is the Performance Mode on that game ~1800p.

As for accuracy, VG Tech is the only one to actually provide images for you to pixel count yourself.

Top Bottom