• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Vg Tech] Dying Light 2 Xbox Series X Balanced Mode Frame Rate Test

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

The version tested was 1.0.2.0. The distance blur setting was disabled for this test.

Xbox Series X in Balanced Mode renders at a native resolution of 2304x1296. The game appears to be using nearest neighbour scaling to upscale the image and this results in uneven pixel scaling

PlatformsXbox Series X
Frame Amounts
Game Frames29648
Video Frames30144
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames7254
Lowest Torn Line2123
Frame Height2160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.95ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms
Maximum Frame Time33.33ms
Minimum Frame Time14.23ms
95th Percentile Frame Time18.18ms
99th Percentile Frame Time21.7ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate59.01fps
Median Frame Rate60fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps
Minimum Frame Rate42fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate55fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate45fps
Frame Time Counts
0ms-16.67ms724 (2.44%)
16.67ms22735 (76.68%)
16.67ms-33.33ms6140 (20.71%)
33.33ms49 (0.17%)
Other
Dropped Frames0
Runt Frames0
Runt Frame Thresholds20 rows

Last edited:

Banned
runs relatively smooth considering the pretty sizable resolution bump.

but this mode is to be used with a VRR display for sure, for the tearing alone.

I like that the devs support VRR displays, more devs should have dedicated modes optimised for VRR... LOOKING AT YOU CONTROL!

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They should just outright say/call it balanced mode ideal for those with VRR capable TVs. This is what I wanted for this generation. Have your settings that are locked fps with reduced resolution and settings and then offer a version that bumps up the res and settings for those with VRR TVs that run between 40 to 60 fps or above. That would be ideal imo.

Riky

$MSFT
They should just outright say/call it balanced mode ideal for those with VRR capable TVs. This is what I wanted for this generation. Have your settings that are locked fps with reduced resolution and settings and then offer a version that bumps up the res and settings for those with VRR TVs that run between 40 to 60 fps or above. That would be ideal imo.

It's great to see VRR offering extra modes now, more developers need to start offering better performance for those with capable consoles and televisions.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What's with the erratic frame time when the average frame rate is so good ?

Series S version also had the same issue.

This needs another patch or two.

Banned

every game should just have an option to unlock framerates as well. back in the day that was great for future proofing stuff, now on top of that it also helps VRR users have better options

Darsxx82

They need to make their graphics engine compatible with DRS. With DRS the game could have a resolution in the range of 1440p-1080p without tearing which is better than fixed 1230p with reoccurring tearing as soon as several enemies appear.

This new mode is clearly interesting if you have a compatible VRR TV. Maybe the reason that it is not present on PS5 due to the lack of compatibility with VRR.

Mister Wolf

You're going to need a VRR display this gen. We've seen this come up time and time again with fixed resolution games. Not every developer's game engine is going to cater to you with DRS or will they waste performance overhead trying to lock every scene and location imaginable to 60fps. Wasn't happening last gen or the gen before it, and it certainly won't be happening now.

Last edited:

Lysandros

I am not sure if being at 16.67ms ~76% of the time is stable enough. First percentile at 45 FPS seems problematic. But it's always nice to have more options of course. By the way i might be wrong but wasn't this mode supposed to be 1440P?

Last edited:

Banned
I am not sure if being at 16.67ms ~76% percent of the time is stable enough. First percentile at 45 FPS seems problematic. But it's always nice to have more options of course.

well it is clearly made for VRR users. like the unlocked mode on Xbox SX which runs at around 90fps.

this is why these modes are available on Xbox but not PS5, it is not meant to be used on a non-VRR display

Mr Moose

well it is clearly made for VRR users. like the unlocked mode on Xbox SX which runs at around 90fps.

this is why these modes are available on Xbox but not PS5, it is not meant to be used on a non-VRR display

1920x1080_2-1-1-1.png

This has nothing to do with VRR.

assurdum

Banned
As expected Techland they used the VRR Trojan horse just to rise a bit the resolution and cover the uneven performance at this resolution. Without it this mode wouldn't exist. Sure it need a big sense of irony call this "balanced mode". Wouldn't be more honest name it VRR mode?
It looks a lot cleaner and runs nice and smooth, it's definitely the best console way to play along with the 80-120fps you get in VRR mode.
1296p a lot cleaner and runs nice and smooth with 7000 torns of tearing :messenger_tears_of_joy:
As always you continue to live in your alternative universe where everything seems an infinite and interminable loop of MS PR marketing

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Is that locked 60 fps on the ps5 or is it unstable like the sequel. I would imagine a 7 year old game would be locked on ps5 hardware?
1440p 60 FPS very stable. Not sure why there is a performance mode at 1080p doh it runs absolutely flawless at 1440p. Tons better than 1080p 60 FPS of the sequel. Unfortunately some lighting have a pixelated artifacts caused to the low buffer. Not so noticeable but I can't avoid to noticed it in the rounded lamps inside the base building. Just native 4k fix it.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Is that locked 60 fps on the ps5 or is it unstable like the sequel. I would imagine a 7 year old game would be locked on ps5 hardware?
I don’t know if locked but seems stable… if there are drops it is very minimum… it make you wonder why they released a 1080p mode first lol

I’m not sure why they left Xbox without the patch.

Now this DL2 patch is pretty bad… seems worst than the others modes… image pixels issue and too fluctuations in framerate.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I don’t know if locked but seems stable… if there are drops it is very minimum… it make you wonder why they released a 1080p mode first lol

I’m not sure why they left Xbox without the patch.

Now this DL2 patch is pretty bad… seems worst than the others modes… image pixels issue and too fluctuations in framerate.
They have not left XS without the DL 1 patch. It is "coming soon". Surely it will come out in a few days and, by known it is come via BC and not a proper nextGen version.

It's different in DL 2. The patch is out for both (PS5-XS) but only XSX includes that "balance mode" which everything points to is based on XS's compatibility with VRR.
It's a shame that their graphics engine doesn't support DRS. If it had been, and seeing the performance with unlocked fps in XSX, we would be perfectly in the typical game with resolution between 1440-1080p and minimal tearing, which is much better than 1230p fixed and recurring tearing in each encounter with enemy AI.

Saucy Papi

The version tested was 1.0.2.0. The distance blur setting was disabled for this test.

Xbox Series X in Balanced Mode renders at a native resolution of 2304x1296. The game appears to be using nearest neighbour scaling to upscale the image and this results in uneven pixel scaling

PlatformsXbox Series X
Frame Amounts
Game Frames29648
Video Frames30144
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames7254
Lowest Torn Line2123
Frame Height2160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.95ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms
Maximum Frame Time33.33ms
Minimum Frame Time14.23ms
95th Percentile Frame Time18.18ms
99th Percentile Frame Time21.7ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate59.01fps
Median Frame Rate60fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps
Minimum Frame Rate42fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate55fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate45fps
Frame Time Counts
0ms-16.67ms724 (2.44%)
16.67ms22735 (76.68%)
16.67ms-33.33ms6140 (20.71%)
33.33ms49 (0.17%)
Other
Dropped Frames0
Runt Frames0
Runt Frame Thresholds20 rows

Thank you for posting this! I've been looking all over YouTube for something like this and couldn't find it.

Zathalus

Not bad, 44% increase in pixel clarity. About the difference between 900p and 1080p. The PC version remains far superior of course (if you have the hardware for it).

assurdum

Banned
Not bad, 44% increase in pixel clarity. About the difference between 900p and 1080p. The PC version remains far superior of course (if you have the hardware for it).
44%? :messenger_confused: It's below furthermore they have to use a pixel scaling to fix the screen ratio which make the IQ even less sharper. It's a bit better of 1080p but not that better considered also it cost tons of tearing. 1296p isn't it that good for 4k setup.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
What is with torn frames and xboxs. Just seems to be a reoccurring thing I've noticed. What causes that?
Tearing. They disable vsync to smooth the fps. But FPS become extremely variable when drops. VRR mitigate it but it has a limit.
Its a good increase in clarity, looks a lot better than 1080p.
There are people who complain to don't notice a difference in the balanced mode on the IQ, I read it in the comments session of the vgtech channel eh but isn't it exactly surprising. 1296p it's good downscaled in a 1080p screen but still noticeable blurred upscaled on 4k setup.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Depends how you make the proportion eh. From my math it's around 30-39%
How can something with fixed numbers be ‘around 30-39%’? Leave the maths to the big boys, huh?

It is a considerably clearer picture than the performance mode. However, tearing is a no no. I didn’t notice any in the quick 5 minutes I tested it, but it’s obviously something waiting around the corner! I’ll persevere until then!

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
How can something with fixed numbers be ‘around 30-39%’? Leave the maths to the big boys, huh?

It is a considerably clearer picture than the performance mode. However, tearing is a no no. I didn’t notice any in the quick 5 minutes I tested it, but it’s obviously something waiting around the corner! I’ll persevere until then!
Because the result of such math proportion is not exactly an unique fixed number but it's more the numbers range between the two proportion. Now 1296p in a 4k TV is a considerably clearer picture of 1080p :messenger_tears_of_joy: the big boy has talked.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Now 1296p in a 4k TV is a considerably clearer picture of 1080p :messenger_tears_of_joy: the big boy has talked.
These modes are not made for 4K TVs imo.
It is the sadly truth of this gen.

You are better with a 1080p TV than 4K TV… the bad is that manufactures doesn’t produce 1080p TVs with the wish and bells features of a 4K TVs.

I should happily buy one 1080p version of LG C1 or even replace my actual gaming LG CX.

Last edited:

Neo_game

Also around 6:30 mark SX is dropping below 50fps where as SS seems to be running 15% faster than SX on similar condition. Though the higher bound with not much happening SX is doing better because stats are 76% compared to 66% on SS.

It is bad whichever way you look at it. If it is doing 900P on SS it should be ideally doing1440P on SX.

Top Bottom