• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG TECH] Doom Eternal PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

AnotherOne

dj khaled GIF by Worldstar Hip Hop

This has GOAT tier dynamic res, so few framedrops!

Also funny how Xbox has a clear res advantage in each mode when people tried to say it was actually worse in that other thread
Well we all know, those of us with common sense that the Series X was, is and always will be more powerful. Its a shame Microsoft have been so slow getting the developer tools up to scratch. It's muddied the waters somewhat with regards to the power differential.

Faithless83

Banned
XSX gets over 20% res over ps5 in counts shown

all while locked FPS too amazing tech

If you had to choose one XSX is the way to go for this game
Could you please elaborate how the numbers presented in the OP translated to 20% difference?

elliot5

Could you please elaborate how the numbers presented in the OP translated to 20% difference?
They're going off the video description with the pixel lowest bounds found and basically SlimySnake's post with the pixel differences

Banned
Or would be good if the PS5 version had VRS so we could compare. Isn't VRS a new type of tech, why doesn't the PS5 use it?
the PS5 has no hardware support for VRS Tier 2. it can do tier 1 vrs which is usually less "clever" so to speak, as in it's not as accurate in only rendering unimportant parts of the image at lower res, but instead can lead to very noticable parts being lower res.
that's because it gets less information about each frame that's being rendered and tier 2 can more granularly adjust fidelity.

you can see how tier 1 has issues with that in Gears Tactics, which DF made a video about (Gears Tactics and Gears 5 have since been updated ro also use Tier 2 VRS on Xbox and supported PC cards)

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
They're going off the video description with the pixel lowest bounds found and basically SlimySnake's post with the pixel differences

I don't think this is the best approach based on how situations can vary/how hard it is to keep the action the same outside of cutscenes on this game.

Other than that, congratz xbox.

Banned
When these systems start to use Machine learning and other features of rdna 2 they will have more resources to put towards raytracing.

RDNA2 doesn't have any real machine learning capabilities outside of supporting 4 bit operations... which slightly helps, but is nowhere near performant enough to do anything along the lines of what Nvidia's RTX cards can do with their dedicated Tensor cores.

at best we will see Microsoft finally finalizing their AI upsampling tech (DirectML) and use it in some games (which already can't really keep up with anything Nvidia is doing)... but that's gonna be it

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I beat the S version on a CX in 120hz mode and I couldn't see resolution drops. They probably happen when I'm worrying about surviving the onslaught. RT? Don't use it if you have 120hz. Just don't. The framerate is absolutely fucking glorious.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
the PS5 has no hardware support for VRS Tier 2. it can do tier 1 vrs which is usually less "clever" so to speak, as in it's not as accurate in only rendering unimportant parts of the image at lower res, but instead can lead to very noticable parts being lower res.
that's because it gets less information about each frame that's being rendered and tier 2 can more granularly adjust fidelity.

you can see how tier 1 has issues with that in Gears Tactics, which DF made a video about (Gears Tactics and Gears 5 have since been updated ro also use Tier 2 VRS on Xbox and supported PC cards)
PS5 FUD again . PS5 doesn't use hardware VRS 1, but it use software one which is actually better than VRS1

Banned
PS5 FUD again . PS5 doesn't use hardware VRS 1, but it use software one which is actually better than VRS1

the PS5 has no support for VRS Tier 2, this is a fact. I'm sorry you are hurt by facts

and I'm pretty sure it supports Tier 1, it's simply not used

and how good software based VRS is is entirely down to the developer (well, hardware based also depends...)

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Damn, this is about as perfect as you're going to find the framerate of an action packed shooter like this. Great job!!

Performance goes to Series X as it's outputting all those frames at a higher pixel count. Pretty impressive stuff.

Fredrik

Yeah I am not sure if it's the AF or the just VRS that's doing it on the floor, there's some minor loss of detail on the buildings.
Where? I can’t see shit and definitely not when playing this crazy game, probably wouldn’t even see a difference between Series X and S except for the RT.
Goes for all comparisons this gen. I’m such a lucky guy. 😌

ML for what?

If Machine Learning resolution scaling is actually good on Series X or becomes a reality like Microsoft suggests it will, they can use lower internal resolutions, boost the resolution using machine learning, and actually achieve superior ray tracing or graphical effects with all the performance they're saving.

Andodalf

Banned
If Machine Learning resolution scaling is actually good on Series X or becomes a reality like Microsoft suggests it will, they can use lower internal resolutions, boost the resolution using machine learning, and actually achieve superior ray tracing or graphical effects with all the performance they're saving.
Yeah but that won’t change things on PS5. I’m also growing less confident MLSS in DX sees the light of day

Or would be good if the PS5 version had VRS so we could compare. Isn't VRS a new type of tech, why doesn't the PS5 use it?
It doesn't have it.
Yes if Goossen is right then we can expect a clear advantage in this area over PS5.

Mr Moose

Where? I can’t see shit and definitely not when playing this crazy game, probably wouldn’t even see a difference between Series X and S except for the RT.
Goes for all comparisons this gen. I’m such a lucky guy. 😌
The lines going down the building it's noticeable, the Series X looks a bit softer in that part and the possible AF in front of the character (could be VRS related too?), I'll make a GIF.
It's not something you'd really notice while playing though.
Edit: Cropped the 4 images and made a GIF, I'm using GIMP and I don't know how to write on each image without it showing the same text on all lol :messenger_grinning_sweat:
doometernal.gif

Last edited:

Fredrik

It's not something you'd really notice while playing though.
Yeah that’s usually the case for all these comparisons. It was bad last gen too but things are beyond ridiculous this gen, now we’re staring at paused screens at 400% zoom and state that 59.9 vs 60fps is worth talking about, it’s like staring at a dead persons heart monitor when looking at these flat line fps graphs.

Edit: Looked at your gif. As expected, can’t see shit lol
glasses GIF

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
And just think what it took for that to happen....
I don't want to get into the console wars... But everyone was making all sorts of claims a few months ago when the PS5 was turning in better comparisons. It probably was the tools and late dev kits affecting things. Anyway, I still think that we will ssee games that favour the PS5 going forward.

All in all, this is a very nice free upgrade. Nobody should be disappointed. I am glad that I held off my playthrough until this dropped

Top Bottom