• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG TECH] Doom Eternal PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

Armorian

Banned
Looks like shit AF to me, look at this line

That’s the XSS. I was walking about the big boys.

Part where double circles become single ones is in the same place on both consoles. It's where AF effect is ending, it has the same setting on both machines (and lower on XSS), it has nothing to do with resolution (that is higher on average on XSX).

BigLee74

Part where double circles become single ones is in the same place on both consoles. It's where AF effect is ending, it has the same setting on both machines (and lower on XSS), it has nothing to do with resolution (that is higher on average on XSX).

So concentrate on the last double circle for both XSX and PS5 (before as you put it, the ‘AF effect’ is ending). It’s definitely clearer on XSX. I don’t think the angle of the polygon is oblique enough for it to be a higher AF setting causing it, and suspect the extra clarity is purely due to resolution.

But having said that, I’m no expert 😂

Loope

Nope. It's a win for PS5. It is always basically.

When weaker PS5 is sooo close to "much stronger" XSX in games comparison ( especially with RT when CUs matters ) and XSX didn't showed almost 2TF difference in games ( that includes fps advantage, graphicall and resolution advantage at the same time) , while PS5 is performing better or equall.

And also especially when some Xbox idiots like this one claimed :

It always be a win for PS5!

that 70s show lol GIF by IFC

Allandor

That's a VRS artifact, not missing animation.

That "gas" reflection from that ramp-like thing is hidden by blood splatter. The reflection close to the weapon is off-screen. Look again.
Not, it's not. directly next to the weapon, the small blue-light reflection.

FOP1epJ.png

You can also spot the same in the new DF comparison video in different places, even without xbox creating artifacts ;)
But those are really small detail, I would never have seen it, if xbox didn't have an artifact in this gif from above.

Last edited:

Allandor

Then watch the video.

Timestamped:

You should really look closer to the animation if you want to correct me. Those artifacts might come from VRS, but I guess it comes more from the fact that reflections are rendered at 1/3 resolution (according to DF) and this coupled with the animation + denoising + "upscaling" -> artifacts. No animation on PS5 -> no artifacts.
And yes, you can see in the video (of the xbox) that the smoke/gas is moving (+ artifacts).

But VRS shouldn't be used in that scene, esspecially not in the reflections, as they are always quite visible and aren't really dark areas where you won't see differences.

Last edited:

Md Ray

You should really look closer to the animation if you want to correct me. Those artifacts might come from VRS, but I guess it comes more from the fact that reflections are rendered at 1/3 resolution (according to DF) and this coupled with the animation + denoising + "upscaling" -> artifacts. No animation on PS5 -> no artifacts.
There's no "animation" on the reflection next to the gun in both versions. What you call "animation" is actually flickering pixels (artifacts due to VRS) as NXG said, no such flickering on PS5 so it's stable. Watch and listen to what he says.

EDIT: If you think that's animation then you're probably seeing this on a mobile device or, with all due respect, you need to get your eyes checked.

Last edited:
The reflection of the "blue thing" close to the weapon is missing the animation. There are artifacts on the xbox version (that's why I've seen it) but there is visible movement from the "gas". On the PS5 the "gas"-animation is just fixed.

but all that is really cherry-picking. Would never notice something like that when playing the game.

I wouldn't go so far that the resolution could be higher because of VRS. The resolution should be higher because of the GPU stats (so far the res was always 10-20% higher when there was a difference in the game). I guess VRS is needed to get the game running at 120fps on the Series S. Not that much because of the smaller GPU but because of the bandwidth that is saved.
Many point out that XSX has higher resolutions but it is at the cost of a lower framerate or at least has more frame drops. This is a case where the resolution is higher and the framerate is just as stable as a system running at a lower resolution. I'm thinking the VRS tier 2 is partly responsible for that.

Yesterday you answered to my comment about this same question that i pasted today: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/vg-t...-frame-rate-comparison.1612443/post-264088725

And today you're saying that i changed the article (and the question)... do you read what people write to you before answer?

Future projects is not only metro exodus. Sorry.

Oh, i like my PC, and VRS is recommended off when DLSS is on. But like you said, Fantastic Feature :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
NtG2i0T.png
Are you serious? In my FIRST response to you YOU linked:
https://wccftech.com/metro-exodus-e...are-much-more-powerful-than-we-first-thought

In that very interview this question was asked:
Did you evaluate the implementation of other DirectX 12 features like Mesh Shading and Sampler Feedback when developing Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition? Are you planning to use them in future titles?"

They responded:
"As far as Mesh Shaders, they're not really something we had any need to use because they essentially change the way that you run your geometry pipeline and we already have a very mature geometry pipeline. Maybe we can experiment with them, we're not ruling them out, but there weren't strictly speaking necessary for this project."

They clearly said they were not going to redo their graphics pipeline for mesh shaders use in Metro Exodus dude. They said they might use them in the future but they didn't in Metro. It is not complicated and I simply said that makes sense they wouldn't redo their work just for one game. Still not sure why we are talking about Metro in a Doom thread but whatever.

I have no idea what other stuff you are talking about but its clear that you didn't even read the interview YOU linked. Maybe that's why you started talking about the PS5 and other stuff no one said anything about. I also don't know what you are talking about with your comments about PC but as far as I know VRS tier 2 isn't used on PC right now and Doom Eternal on console was the most recent use of the feature. If you watched the DF video John and Rich talked about there was no perceptible difference in image quality yet you still got higher resolutions and locked framerates. To me that is a fantastic feature. There really is no downside. When you have to zoom in 400% to see some minor blur you are looking for a problem that doesn't exist when you are playing the game at 120 or even 60 fps.

Many point out that XSX has higher resolutions but it is at the cost of a lower framerate or at least has more frame drops. This is a case where the resolution is higher and the framerate is just as stable as a system running at a lower resolution. I'm thinking the VRS tier 2 is partly responsible for that.

Are you serious? In my FIRST response to you YOU linked:
https://wccftech.com/metro-exodus-e...are-much-more-powerful-than-we-first-thought

In that very interview this question was asked:
Did you evaluate the implementation of other DirectX 12 features like Mesh Shading and Sampler Feedback when developing Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition? Are you planning to use them in future titles?"

They responded:
"As far as Mesh Shaders, they're not really something we had any need to use because they essentially change the way that you run your geometry pipeline and we already have a very mature geometry pipeline. Maybe we can experiment with them, we're not ruling them out, but there weren't strictly speaking necessary for this project."

They clearly said they were not going to redo their graphics pipeline for mesh shaders use in Metro Exodus dude. They said they might use them in the future but they didn't in Metro. It is not complicated and I simply said that makes sense they wouldn't redo their work just for one game. Still not sure why we are talking about Metro in a Doom thread but whatever.

I have no idea what other stuff you are talking about but its clear that you didn't even read the interview YOU linked. Maybe that's why you started talking about the PS5 and other stuff no one said anything about. I also don't know what you are talking about with your comments about PC but as far as I know VRS tier 2 isn't used on PC right now and Doom Eternal on console was the most recent use of the feature. If you watched the DF video John and Rich talked about there was no perceptible difference in image quality yet you still got higher resolutions and locked framerates. To me that is a fantastic feature. There really is no downside. When you have to zoom in 400% to see some minor blur you are looking for a problem that doesn't exist when you are playing the game at 120 or even 60 fps.
I shared 2 wccftech links yesterday.

You wanna push the first interview in this response because it's the most ambiguous text. But yesterday i shared a second interview with more clear text saying about next-gen future games, and you replied maintaining your point (https://www.neogaf.com/threads/vg-t...-frame-rate-comparison.1612443/post-264088725)

You wanna bring back the first interview in this discussion to shadow your confusion about the second interview that you replied. And today i talked again about the second interview, and you are still confused (https://www.neogaf.com/threads/vg-t...-frame-rate-comparison.1612443/post-264092035)

VRS Tier 2 is responsible for better resolution, but there's some blurry pixel costs. Trade-off, compromisses, remember? With DLSS 2.0 i can have almost perfect reconstruction without some blurry pixels on VRS tier 2.

Image quality matters. For me XSX bit better, but both good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom