• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG TECH] Doom Eternal PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

ErRor88

PS5 and Xbox Series X in Balanced Mode use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2720x1530. Pixel counts below 3840x2160 were found more often on PS5 than Xbox Series X. As an example, in one scene the PS5 dropped to approximately 3456x1944 and the Xbox Series X rendered that scene at 3840x2160.

Xbox Series S in Balanced Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1813x1020.

PS5 and Xbox Series X in Raytracing Mode use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3200x1800 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2266x1275. Pixel counts below 3200x1800 were found more often on PS5 than Xbox Series X. As an example, in one scene the PS5 dropped to approximately 2986x1680 and the Xbox Series X rendered that scene at 3200x1800.

PS5 in the 120fps Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2816x1584 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1992x1120.

Xbox Series X in the 120fps Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3200x1800 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2266x1275.

Xbox Series S in the 120fps Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1360x765

The Xbox Series consoles use Variable Rate Shading which can result in some double width and double height pixels being visible in the frame, though this coarser shading can often be difficult to perceive.

All consoles in all modes seem to often render at or near their maximum resolutions during exploration and undemanding combat encounters. The resolution appears to drop less often in Balanced Mode than the other two modes.

The Raytracing Mode uses raytraced reflections.

The footage here isn't exactly like-for-like which should be kept in mind when comparing the performance of the consoles here.

Stats: https://bit.ly/3dKf5lU
Frames Pixel Counted: https://bit.ly/3huHIVw

EDIT: Mods please fix the title: [VG TECH] Doom Eternal PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison.

Last edited:

elliot5

unknown.png

Series X whatchu doin' baby girl

edit: PS5 also messin' up.
unknown.png

Only the Series S can get access granted properly :pie_raybans: Let's GOOO Riky Riky DarkMage619 DarkMage619

Last edited:

Kuranghi

And these were his findings:

giphy.webp

The gif didnt load for me at first and I thought the joke was you just wrote nothing, doubling down on the title/content mistake theme, so I was about to reply "Mods can we get this post fixed please".

DJ Khaled is good too though :messenger_tears_of_joy: I'd like to see VGTech cosplaying as him in the next video, make it happen V VG Tech !

elliot5

All of them are 99.999999% stable with single frame dips on very rare occasion and in 120 fps mode dipping to 115 or so in specific high intensity moments like glory kills with a bunch of particles and flames going on. Slightly higher res with DRS on XSX, per usual, but VRS creating "some double width and double height pixels being visible in the frame, though this coarser shading can often be difficult to perceive."

id did some good shit here. happy for anyone getting to play it on console now (tho it's all about that KBM action on PC :))

MikeM

XSX gets over 20% res over ps5 in counts shown

all while locked FPS too amazing tech

If you had to choose one XSX is the way to go for this game

I have it for both Series X and PS5 and went ahead with another playthrough on PS5 because of the triggers and haptics. Not disappointed at all with that choice. The dualsense really makes me second guess third party game purchases now.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

All of them are 99.999999% stable with single frame dips on very rare occasion and in 120 fps mode dipping to 115 or so in specific high intensity moments like glory kills with a bunch of particles and flames going on. Slightly higher res with DRS on XSX, per usual, but VRS creating "some double width and double height pixels being visible in the frame, though this coarser shading can often be difficult to perceive."

id did some good shit here. happy for anyone getting to play it on console now (tho it's all about that KBM action on PC :))

Even id have to sacrifice that moment of perfect perf to get those sweet alpha bitches up in your face at a sufficient resolution, its totally understandable given its 120 fps target as well, as the headroom needed increases.

Excellent work by them all round, really makes the technical leads on other titles with constant frame-pacing and just unstable fps in general look like silly billies who can't do their jobs properly. Imagine you were a sound engineer on a really big release and you left in some stuttering audio on the master track.

skit_data

This has GOAT tier dynamic res, so few framedrops!

Also funny how Xbox has a clear res advantage in each mode when people tried to say it was actually worse in that other thread
I don’t think anyone said it had lower res but I was referring to the effects of VRS making that specific texture look way worse on SX than PS5.

People pointed out it was a 400% zoom and that is a valid point, I don’t think anypne would actually notice it when playing

Andodalf

Banned
I don’t think anyone said it had lower res but I was referring to the effects of VRS making that specific texture look way worse on SX than PS5.

People pointed out it was a 400% zoom and that is a valid point, I don’t think anypne would actually notice it when playing

you noticed one small texture looking worse at a 4x zoom but didn’t notice a 20% res drop full field? Weirdchamp

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Awesome on both and looks to be the difference in performance that were expected from the consoles before launch.

From a Dev who we know are masters of tech, it highlights that if you know what you doing these consoles will deliver as they should.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Looks like Tier 2 VRS is the real deal, it not only lets Series X run at the highest resolution but locks that framerate down as well with no perceptible loss in image quality during play, just like Gears 5 outstanding performance.
I wonder what sort of uplift we will get with Mesh Shaders and SFS as they seem to offer much bigger boosts to performance.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
A clear Xbox win for once?

Seems like it from the small info we have here.
XSX is the winner, but clear winner in a DRS game no less? Hard to say when the lowest resolution found on both consoles is anywhere from 14-29%.

Balanced
PS5 - 6.71 million pixels
XSX - 8.29 million pixels
23% difference

Ray tracing
2986*1680 = 5.01 million pixels
3200 *1800 = 5.7 million pixels
Difference = 14%

120 FPS
PS5 = 2.23 million pixels
XSX = 2.88 million pixels
Difference: 29%

I dont know who DRS helps most. the XSX or the PS5. It's pretty much impossible to tell resolution drops in hectic action sequences which hurts Xbox, and yet if DRS wasnt around the XSX would likely have been targeting the same 1080p or 1440p settings as the PS5 leaving A LOT of performance on the table. See Control.

I personally think a clear winner is when you have a situation like Hitman where the XSX was native 4k and the PS5 had to settle for 1800p. 44% difference. These tiny 15-20% resolution drops are almost impossible to notice. I would say the 120 fps mode is the only one where you can say the xsx is the clear winner, but its not even the traditional 40-50% pixels upgrades last gen for both the PS4 and X1X.

Arias05

Banned
Not having VRS related artifacts is objective as well.
In both case the point is pretty obvious, you're discussing about meaningless differences. You need to zoom or to pixel count to be able to claim there are differences.
The two consoles deliver pretty much the same technical experience.

having a 20% res boost in more noticeable than vrs for distance textures far out
XSX is the winner, but clear winner in a DRS game no less? Hard to say when the lowest resolution found on both consoles is anywhere from 14-29%.

Balanced
23% difference

Ray tracing
Difference = 14%

120 FPS

I dont know who DRS helps most. the XSX or the PS5. It's pretty much impossible to tell resolution drops in hectic action sequences which hurts Xbox, and yet if DRS wasnt around the XSX would likely have been targeting the same 1080p or 1440p settings as the PS5 leaving A LOT of performance on the table. See Control.

I personally think a clear winner is when you have a situation like Hitman where the XSX was native 4k and the PS5 had to settle for 1800p. 44% difference. These tiny 15-20% resolution drops are almost impossible to notice. I would say the 120 fps mode is the only one where you can say the xsx is the clear winner, but its not even the traditional 40-50% pixels upgrades last gen for both the PS4 and X1X.

On my 65in screen 20%+ is a huge area difference rendering seen lol

Mr Moose

That's really solid all around, very nice.
I didn't like the 2016 DOOM so I won't be getting this, but they did a really good job.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
having a 20% res boost in more noticeable than vrs for distance textures far out

On my 65in screen 20%+ is a huge area difference rendering seen lol
I game on a 65 inch screen. I just finished playing Ratchet with supposedly drops to 1800p from native 4k during the most hectic sequences, and I have never been able to tell. Again, it's the DRS that muddies the waters. It's very hard to tell during combat.

1080p vs 1440p or 1440p vs 1800p is far more noticeable whenever I game on PC and can turn the resolution down.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Balanced
23% difference

Ray tracing
Difference = 14%

120 FPS

I don't think we will get huge jumps that often in the gen. I think we will mostly see 20% average resolution increase to Xbox which is great for everyone as the consoles will be extremely close.

I think I can spot a 20% res difference if i was flicking from one to the other on my 65" TV but if I was just playing one version over another I don't think I would really "notice" I was playing a lower res version of it per se.

A clear Xbox win for once?

Seems like it from the small info we have here.

Nope. It's a win for PS5. It is always basically.

When weaker PS5 is sooo close to "much stronger" XSX in games comparison ( especially with RT when CUs matters ) and XSX didn't showed almost 2TF difference in games ( that includes fps advantage, graphicall and resolution advantage at the same time) , while PS5 is performing better or equall.

And also especially when some Xbox idiots like this one claimed :

It always be a win for PS5!

Last edited:

Arias05

Banned

Balanced
23% difference

Ray tracing
Difference = 14%

120 FPS

I wonder how much higher XSX will be on Raytracing since it’s maxing out at 1800p already while ps5 is below

Andodalf

Banned
I don't think we will get huge jumps that often in the gen. I think we will mostly see 20% average resolution increase to Xbox which is great for everyone as the consoles will be extremely close.

I think I can spot a 20% res difference if i was flicking from one to the other on my 65" TV but if I was just playing one version over another I don't think I would really "notice" I was playing a lower res version of it per se.

it depends on the game. 80% of 4K vs true 4K in a game without temporal reconstruction is a big deal, but 65% vs 80% in a game with a strong temporal solution isn’t a huge deal.

BigLee74

When weaker PS5 is sooo close to "much stronger" XSX in games comparison ( especially with RT when CUs matters ) and XSX didn't showed almost 2TF difference in games ( that includes fps advantage, graphicall and resolution advantage at the same time) , while PS5 is performing better or equall.

Bloody hell you are like a broken record man. Boring boring boring!

Joho79

Hmm, they are the same price so offcourse Xbox wins when it performs better. And ps wins when it performs better. Please stop using your weak arguments to spin a win EVERYTIME!

X1X had noticeable advantage in vast majority of games, framerate wise, graphics wise and resolution wise over PS4 Pro. Sometimes in all segments.
PS4 had noticeable advantage in vast majority of games, framerate wise, graphics wise and resolution wise over Xbone. Sometimes in all segments.
But....

"superior" XSX over PS5 just has resolution advantage, although, that isn't enough. PS5 has a better IQ. LOL
Bloody hell you are like a broken record man. Boring boring boring!

Looks who's talking. Almost 2 TF full RDNA 2 stronger console, higher bandwidth, all migthy 52 CUs... and this is it? Just higher res difference, also a much weaker console, a.k.a PS5 has a better IQ in RT mode. Poor XSX.

Hmm, they are the same price so offcourse Xbox wins when it performs better. And ps wins when it performs better. Please stop using your weak arguments to spin a win EVERYTIME!

What spin? You didn't noticed that PS5 has a better IQ in one of the modes? How is that possible that weaker console has a better IQ despite lower res. That should be a noticeable win for XSX, especially in RT where XSX should obliterate PS5, but it didn't happened. So sad.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Looks like Tier 2 VRS is the real deal, it not only lets Series X run at the highest resolution but locks that framerate down as well with no perceptible loss in image quality during play, just like Gears 5 outstanding performance.
I wonder what sort of uplift we will get with Mesh Shaders and SFS as they seem to offer much bigger boosts to performance.
It's interesting for sure, I think it looked better used in Gears though, but we have only the One X version to compare that one to.
It does have a loss in image quality from what I am seeing with the images in this game, but while playing you won't be sitting next to someone playing a different version so it won't matter.

It's interesting for sure, I think it looked better used in Gears though, but we have only the One X version to compare that one to.
It does have a loss in image quality from what I am seeing with the images in this game, but while playing you won't be sitting next to someone playing a different version so it won't matter.

And that's a very "fast" action game, for me the best environment to use VRS.

Banned
so about 20% res advantage in heavy scenes.
I wonder how much VRS tier 2 helps here and how the difference woukd be without it.

Top Bottom