• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Assassin's Creed Origins PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Test (60fps Backwards Compatibility)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

The versions tested were 1.6.0.95 on Xbox Series consoles and 1.60 on PS5. There may be time of day variance in some clips.

PS5 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2880x1620 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1824x1026. Pixel counts at 1824x1026 seem to be rare on PS5. PS5 uses temporal upsampling that can reconstruct a 2880x1620 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 2432x1368. Native resolution pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be rare on Xbox Series X. Xbox Series X uses temporal upsampling that can reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x720. Xbox Series S uses temporal upsampling that can reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

In some cases the resolution difference between PS5 and Xbox Series X can be smaller than the difference between the highest and lowest resolutions found. As an example, at one point during the cutscene at 1:45 PS5 is rendering at approximately 2400x1350 and Xbox Series X is rendering at approximately 2716x1528.

Cloth physics in the game update at 30hz.

PlatformsPS5Xbox Series XXbox Series S
Frame Amounts
Game Frames420534182441933
Video Frames421104211042110
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames000
Lowest Torn Line---
Frame Height216021601080
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.69ms16.78ms16.74ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
Maximum Frame Time33.33ms33.33ms33.33ms
Minimum Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
95th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
99th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate59.92fps59.59fps59.75fps
Median Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Minimum Frame Rate54fps45fps45fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate59fps57fps58fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate59fps55fps56fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms41996 (99.86%)41538 (99.32%)41756 (99.58%)
33.33ms57 (0.14%)286 (0.68%)177 (0.42%)
Other
Dropped Frames000
Runt Frames000
Runt Frame Thresholds20 rows20 rows20 rows

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Without even looking at the results

8AO7.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looks and runs fantastic on SX.

4K/60 FPS, quick resume and load times a fraction of what they were on last gen.

And coming to Game Pass in 2 days for even more folks to play.

Looking at that and the game average resolution on XSX and PS5 does not look like a high effort patch. It is a minor patch on the BC version of the games :/…

Yep, it's literally just an FPS unlock patch. There's absolutely nothing else done on the game. This is just BC with an FPS boost.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
My SX is ready. I picked up the game and the DLC I think december last year lol, after being hooked by oddyssey. glad I waited to play this

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My SX is ready. I picked up the game and the DLC I think december last year lol, after being hooked by oddyssey. glad I waited to play this

Yeah, the season pass is at $40 right now (which is fucking ridiculous) but it often goes on sale, I got it for $14.99 a few weeks back on a sale in anticipation of this patch.

Framerate drops lower on XSX but if you have a capable TV then VRR will do its magic. VRR does not work on PS5 currently for back-compat games, unfortunately, so there is no way to mitigate the inevitable stutters on the Sony version.

Last edited:
720p in a 2022 port of an last gen game? Another one.

As for the current gen consoles, the Series X is designed around having higher res specially in old games, no surprises here.

Too bad this gen is all about framerate, Cerny offering a superior experience, with VRR suport, for $100 less. I wouldn't expect any less from the creator of Knack.

Last edited:

Lysandros

As for the current gen consoles, the Series X is designed around having higher res specially in old games, no surprises here.
The difference in resolution in this title is due to different BC/API implementations between the machines, nothing to do with hardware design. The game on PS5 is confined to PS4 PRO configuration besides the FPS unlock.

Last edited:
The difference in resolution in this title is due to different BC/API implementations between the machines, nothing to do with hardware design. The game on PS5 is confined to PS4 PRO configuration besides the FPS unlock.
So, as I've mentioned, designed to run old game at higher resolution because of how BC works on Xbox Series X. That's where it gets most of it's "wins".

PS5 usually does a lot better when not held back by the PS4 Pro or the way it handles BC titles.

What we need are proper current gen only games comparisons. What we have so far are pretty much two years of old gen comparisons, including a bunch of BC comparisons, a big waste of time.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Just to clear things up for people that might read incorrectly into these results. Both the PS5 and Series X are running the game in back-compat mode. The PS5 is limited to 1620p because that was the upper limit on the PS4 Pro version. The Series X achieves 2160p because that was the upper limit on the XB1 X version.

elliot5

720p in a 2022 port of an last gen game? Another one.

Too bad this gen is all about framerate, Cerny offering a superior experience, with VRR suport, for $100 less. I wouldn't expect any less from the creator of Knack.
Oh look Sub 1080p on ps5 aNoThER OnE

Who gives a fuck it’s temporally upscaled and is rare. They all perform fine and look fine for the platforms.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Most Xbox owners have a series S. So in most cases yes major victory for the ps5.
Most Playstation owners dont have a PS5 so in most cases major victory for go fuck yourself.

jk.
Series S owners dont give a damn about playing at 4K if they did they wouldnt have gotten a Series S.
Its a victory for them simply that the game has a steady 60fps and is on Gamepass.
But lets keep moving dem goalposts.

The only disappointment with these 60 fps updates of back-compat games is that you lose the option to play at 30 fps and have a locked 4K (or 1620p) resolution, which is how the game ran before the patch. There really should be an option to toggle between the two in my opinion for people to choose between better image quality or better framerate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom