• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech]Assassin's Creed Odyssey PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Test

PS5 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2880x1620 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1824x1026. Native resolution pixel counts at 2880x1620 seem to be uncommon on PS5. PS5 uses temporal upsampling that can reconstruct a 2880x1620 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.
Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being 2432x1368. Native resolution pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be rare on Xbox Series X. Xbox Series X uses temporal upsampling that can reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.
Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest native resolution found being 1280x720. The cutscenes are capped at 30fps on Xbox Series S and the only resolution found during cutscenes was 1920x1080. Xbox Series S uses temporal upsampling that can reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.
asscreedpbkjv.png

shades of blue GIF

assurdum

Banned
I don't think this applies anymore, as there are some recent games that had res bump beyond the ones offered on PS4Pro lately, like Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
Wut. The only BC games which improves resolution is just Tomb Raider and because it's CBR. Probably because ps5 has dedicated hardware to CBR as pro.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Wut. The only BC games which improves resolution is just Tomb Raider and because it's CBR. Probably because ps5 has dedicated hardware to CBR as pro.
I think there was another one recently. My memory is dog shit, I'll snoop around and try to find it.
Nothing special here, ps5 running ps4pro codes with unlocked 60fps, SX running OneX codes with 60fps. Ps5 smooth 60fps, SX drops to 50s when heavy combat.
The interesting part for me: Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest native resolution found being 1280x720.
Wasn't it 900p on One S?

The interesting part for me: Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest native resolution found being 1280x720.
Wasn't it 900p on One S?
That's why I think that the dynamic resolution boundaries are much broader than previously thought. PS5 also drops below 1080p. So I assume the dynamic res is everywhere between 720p and 4K.

Mr Moose

That's why I think that the dynamic resolution boundaries are much broader than previously thought. PS5 also drops below 1080p. So I assume the dynamic res is everywhere between 720p and 4K.
No idea what the lower limit is but on Pro (and PS5) it's 1620p upper. More games should be 4k DRS but sadly not, at least not on the Pro.

Zathalus

Not at all. In 60 FPS mode new console are not new to reach lower resolution via DRS compared even the past generation.
Yeah, but the PS5 has a much larger delta between it and the PS4 Pro then the XSX and One X, but the XSX has the exact same DRS range as the One X, even when dropping more frames.

I hope they do a 60fps patch for the Egyptian one (Is it Origins?), I didn't finish it yet and would give me a good reason to revisit it. Didn't bother getting this one.

This seems to run pretty well across all consoles.
i beat both Origins and Odyssey and by far prefer Origins. I played like 25 hours of valhalla but just can't go any further lol maybe i'm just exhausted on the format?

omegasc

I can't remember but I am fairly certain there was another one :messenger_grinning_sweat: . I might be mixing it up with the 120hz patches (Rocket League), as those are also not possible on PS4Pro.

T-Cake

Two questions from me -

1) Did the Xbox One X use higher resolution textures than the PS4 Pro due to the extra 3.5GB of memory it had? (9GB v 5.5GB)

2) Does the PS5 still have loading screens when you stray too far away from Alexios/Kassandra with the eagle? Again this was due to less memory available on PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

It runs great on Series S, the sad thing is that there's no cloud saving so I had to start from scratch. I had 30ish hours on PC.

Riky

$MSFT
Huh, PS5 drops lower than 1080p, that is lower than the PS4 Pro dropped to. Odd that.

You would think being more than twice as powerful that wouldn't happen, must be a very basic frame unlock with not a lot else.
X1X had better draw distances as well as much higher resolution according to the old comparison so I presume that carries on here. Will try this again on Series X with VRR.

You would think being more than twice as powerful that wouldn't happen, must be a very basic frame unlock with not a lot else.
X1X had better draw distances as well as much higher resolution according to the old comparison so I presume that carries on here. Will try this again on Series X with VRR.
I've been playing Odyssey since the patch, and it's silky smooth with VRR. Never noticed any drops.

ethomaz

Banned
Huh, PS5 drops lower than 1080p, that is lower than the PS4 Pro dropped to. Odd that.
Well one is 60fps… the other is 30fps.
If it was a native port you should see the PS5 dropping less resolution due it power but it is running in BC mode that makes the APU runs in compatibility mode.

Exit - Fixed wrong typed resolution.

Last edited:
Well one is 60fps… the other is 30fps.
If it was a native port you should see the PS5 dropping less religiosonas due it power but it is running in BC mode that makes the APU runs in compatibility mode.
Not sure what religiosonas is but this is essentially a comparison between 12 TF GCN and 10 TF GCN.

shoplifter

Haven't watched the video - but I've noticed that on my Series X, installed to an external drive the game will launch and play, but also displays a Series X logo. This isn't unusual as there are several games that are Series X aware. The kicker is that it *also* shows the 'transfer' symbol that is used for Series X games stored on external drives. That isn't something I've ever seen on a game that will actually launch so it makes me wonder if they've done something special here, or if an internal storage install provides some further benefit aside from loading time improvements.

Mr Moose

Haven't watched the video - but I've noticed that on my Series X, installed to an external drive the game will launch and play, but also displays a Series X logo. This isn't unusual as there are several games that are Series X aware. The kicker is that it *also* shows the 'transfer' symbol that is used for Series X games stored on external drives. That isn't something I've ever seen on a game that will actually launch so it makes me wonder if they've done something special here, or if an internal storage install provides some further benefit aside from loading time improvements.

Optimised for XBOX Series X|S
Not sure if they updated that when the patch came out.
It's just an Xbox One game though, no native app.

shoplifter

Not sure if they updated that when the patch came out.
It's just an Xbox One game though, no native app.

That was my expectation, just found it weird that it seems to behave in a pretty unique fashion as far as I can tell.

Kenpachii

Man the poppins and shadows are some proper low settings same for drawdistance its pretty bad. Wish the guy would walk in the city at night with a torch on.

Top Bottom