• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech: Alan Wake Remastered PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You lose some performance when getting rid of tearing.

That probably has no bearing here, this seems like an artifact of the engine which tore like hell on 360 as well. This is the first PS SKU of the game so it probably got a bit more bespoke work compared to Xbox.

6% of the frames tear only, which accounts for the 98 to 92 % consistency difference between the two. Aside from that they both are pretty much identical.

Mr Moose

That probably has no bearing here, this seems like an artifact of the engine which tore like hell on 360 as well. This is the first PS SKU of the game so it probably got a bit more bespoke work compared to Xbox.

6% of the frames tear only, which accounts for the 98 to 92 % consistency difference between the two. Aside from that they both are pretty much identical.

I mean they are close enough to each other anyway, but I would personally take no tearing. I would hope anyone without a VRR screen would also.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It was a joke

mom son GIF

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Same old people defending, who obviously don't even know how even v sync works. Even with my limited knowledge I now know I know more than some peeps on here. Not going to even entertain it passed this post haha, it's actually funny. There's video evidence right in front of you yet some still can't accept it.

It's not even a big deal as the gams is so old and the engine was not made with these consoles in mind.

here's a quick lesson on what v sync is.

Key comment and what is happening here.

"One of these issues occurs when the GPU is unable to perform up to the monitor’s refresh rate. As a result, the monitor will leave the previous image on display until the next one is ready, which causes visual stuttering."

The ps5 gpu is struggling in more points of regular play than the xbox is, both consoles drop when streaming a new event or area which is clearly visible, but through general play the evidence clearly shows the ps5s gpu is taking a hit Just running through the woods or lighting a flare.

Due to the evidence I would imagine this continues to happen through the game.

Anyway, I'm out lol not going back and forth with the usual suspects on this.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Just watch later sections, XSX version drops more. Stats are the overall result, they say PS5 version runs at 60 fps more often (98.53 % vs 92.78 %)

Overall, both are pretty close to 60 fps locked anyway. It's basically a tie.
And the vsync off even allows XsX to overrun 60 with 14.46ms frametimes boosting its avgs and it still falls behind ps5 on avg. Not to mention incomplete torn frames counting due to lack of vsync.

The game under the bonnet is Xbox tailored code too being written on xdk in the day. PS5 being held back brute forcing it quite likely.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
And the vsync off even allows XsX to overrun 60 with 14.46ms frametimes boosting its avgs and it still falls behind ps5 on avg. Not to mention incomplete torn frames counting due to lack of vsync.

The game under the bonnet is Xbox tailored code too being written on xdk in the day. PS5 being held back brute forcing it quite likely.
Anytime these threads even hint at Xbox losing the comparison…. Someone at least gets threads locked out lol

Seems like a tie. Ps5 is better but it’s probably not enough too buy one console over another

Last edited:
Ancient game, who gives a fuck. So sick of these comparisons on these old titles that don't really matter anymore and were built originally to run on previous 2 generations old hardware. Means absolutely nothing.

Make a thread when a true next gen exclusive only title (not cross gen) gets released and then compare it.
I'm so sick of people jumping into threads and then posting they don't give a fu8k, the irony of it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Has anyone actually watched the video the data is from or are you just looking at the numbers. Sometimes I can't even understand with this forum. It's so funny lol
Why cant people look at the numbers? they are a much better indicator of overall performance than the video which may or may not contain all the benchmark runs. The result is 59.12 vs 59.34 in xbox's favor. Miniscule at best.

I really dont care for how Xbox is forcing gamers to use vrr and shipping several games without vsync now. not everyone has fancy vrr tvs. let alone tvs that can do native 4k 60 fps vrr. Tearing in 2022 is unacceptable. we literally got rid of it after the first year or so of the ps360 generation.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Has anyone actually watched the video the data is from or are you just looking at the numbers. Sometimes I can't even understand with this forum. It's so funny lol
Of course not. It’s someone wanted to watch that, they would search for that

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Why cant people look at the numbers? they are a much better indicator of overall performance than the video which may or may not contain all the benchmark runs. The result is 59.12 vs 59.34 in xbox's favor. Miniscule at best.

I really dont care for how Xbox is forcing gamers to use vrr and shipping several games without vsync now. not everyone has fancy vrr tvs. let alone tvs that can do native 4k 60 fps vrr. Tearing in 2022 is unacceptable. we literally got rid of it after the first year or so of the ps360 generation.
All I was saying, is if you watch the actual video, and from 2 mins 10 seconds onwards you can clearly see the ps5 is struggling to hold a locked 60 through general play.

to add, I was always under the impression that the data is taken from the video the channel is sharing on YouTube. If that is not the case then I apologise for the mix up.

When the series consoles drop, they drop harder than the ps5 but then bounce back within a second or two which is obviously affecting the overall data on averages and lows. The ps5 is consistently hovering between 55 to 58 fps in general play which shows the gpu is struggling to deliver the consistent locked 60 fps and it has nothing to do with v sync. Both versions drop in the same places, the xbox more severe then it bounces back. So playing the game you are going to feel a drop then it kick back (if you don't have vrr) on ps5 you are going to feel the under 60 fps more and also suffer from increased input lag due to the v sync.

Yes, the data is obviously 100 percent accurate but it doesn't tell the full story on if you actually watch the footage and see with evidence what is actually happening through a general run of play.

Shmunter

All I was saying, is if you watch the actual video, and from 2 mins 10 seconds onwards you can clearly see the ps5 is struggling to hold a locked 60 through general play.

to add, I was always under the impression that the data is taken from the video the channel is sharing on YouTube. If that is not the case then I apologise for the mix up.

When the series consoles drop, they drop harder than the ps5 but then bounce back within a second or two which is obviously affecting the overall data on averages and lows. The ps5 is consistently hovering between 55 to 58 fps in general play which shows the gpu is struggling to deliver the consistent locked 60 fps and it has nothing to do with v sync. Both versions drop in the same places, the xbox more severe then it bounces back. So playing the game you are going to feel a drop then it kick back (if you don't have vrr) on ps5 you are going to feel the under 60 fps more and also suffer from increased input lag due to the v sync.

Yes, the data is obviously 100 percent accurate but it doesn't tell the full story on if you actually watch the footage and see with evidence what is actually happening through a general run of play.
The data does tell the true story whereas the video can obviously skew perception as it has in your case. But you need to have a grasp of the data to properly appreciate it.

Just look at even one simple data point….

Frametime counts
16.67 is how many 60fps frames get produced…ps5 = 98.53% vs XsX = 92.78%

PS5 locks to 60 appreciably more consistently.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The data does tell the true story whereas the video can obviously skew perception as it has in your case. But you need to have a grasp of the data to properly appreciate it.

Just look at even one simple data point….

Frametime counts
16.67 is how many 60fps frames get produced…ps5 = 98.53% vs XsX = 92.78%

PS5 locks to 60 appreciably more consistently.

Yes because when the xbox drops it drops harder and maybe it does for a sustained period of time. Maybe a few seconds more than the ps5 in those stressed sections. Watching the footage shows the ps5 has drops in general play doesn't it? You can see it right?

It's hovering at under 60 fps.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Yes because when the xbox drops it drops harder and maybe it does for a sustained period of time. Maybe a few seconds more than the ps5 in those stressed sections. Watching the footage shows the ps5 has drops in general play doesn't it? You can see it right?

Sorry, but this is a tech analysis. Not relying on hard data because it’s disagreeable is really clutching at straws. Some even stated later in the vid the XsX suffers considerably more than ps5 - why ignore all that?

Darsxx82

It is the same conclusion for the analysis of DF at the time months ago when evaluating both versions.

They also identified more stability of XSX during the "exploration" or "traverse" parts, but suffering tearing in the shooting (ray of light flares part) compared to PS5. This, but all versions with 60fps quite stable they mayority of the time.

VGTech does nothing more than corroborate what has already been seen and described in the DF one.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sorry, but this is a tech analysis. Not relying on hard data because it’s disagreeable is really clutching at straws. Some even stated later in the vid the XsX suffers considerably more than ps5 - why ignore all that?

What, I am fine with the data. I'm saying watch the actual video to see how and where the issues arise.

Who stated and where, what?

yes?
so what?

So watch it and see with your own eyes.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What, I am fine with the data. I'm saying watch the actual video to see how and where the issues arise.

Who stated and where, what?

So watch it and see with your own eyes.
I glanced. at 2:50 both drop about the same to 50s.
There is almost no difference on the video so is the chart fake ?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I glanced. at 2:50 both drop about the same to 50s.
There is almost no difference on the video so is the chart fake ?

How can I discuss with you if you are not actually willing to watch the video. Literally set it to 2 mins 10 seconds and watch for like a minute. The ps5 is consistently under 60 fps. Obviously the chart is real and so is the footage. The xbox holds a slightly higher fps on average. And delivers 80 more frames than the ps5 due to it delivering frames at 14ms.

As shown by DF and this video the ps5 struggles under normal gameplay and traversal sections. That is literally a fact and all I was saying. The evidence proves it.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
How can I discuss with you if you are not actually willing to watch the video. Literally set it to 2 mins 10 seconds and watch for like a minute. The ps5 is consistently under 60 fps. Obviously the chart is real and so is the footage. The xbox holds a slightly higher fps on average. And delivers 80 more frames than the ps5 due to it delivering frames at 14ms.

As shown by DF and this video the ps5 struggles under normal gameplay and traversal sections. That is literally a fact and all I was saying. The evidence proves it.
I just glanced. Nobody watches the whole video without narration... the video and the chart tells different story. Your video timestamp don't work btw.
Anyway - I don't care. It's a bad version of the game anyway with derp faces.

PS5 uses VSync correct? Sony should hurry up with VRR and disable VSync only if VRR isn't on.

It doesn't make much sense to compare performance when one has VSync and the other doesn't.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I just glanced. Nobody watches the whole video without narration... the video and the chart tells different story. Your video timestamp don't work btw.
Anyway - I don't care. It's a bad version of the game anyway with derp faces.
You can't click the video move to 2 mins 10 seconds and watch for a minute? It's not a whole video. Am I discussing with people who can't watch 60 seconds of a video?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You can't click the video move to 2 mins 10 seconds and watch for a minute? It's not a whole video. Am I discussing with people who can't watch 60 seconds of a video?
yeah I did. it's the fragment I am talking about.
Both drop. ps5 just drops sooner and a bit more often. Seems like this part is barely 60 on both.
So strange. ps5 goes 57fps and xbox is 60. but when xbox drops it's below ps5... but not for long.
Seems badly optimized. There is no reason this game cannot be 4k60 or even 120 on both platforms.. the remaster is bad

Mr Moose

Same old people defending, who obviously don't even know how even v sync works. Even with my limited knowledge I now know I know more than some peeps on here. Not going to even entertain it passed this post haha, it's actually funny. There's video evidence right in front of you yet some still can't accept it.

It's not even a big deal as the gams is so old and the engine was not made with these consoles in mind.

here's a quick lesson on what v sync is.

Key comment and what is happening here.

"One of these issues occurs when the GPU is unable to perform up to the monitor’s refresh rate. As a result, the monitor will leave the previous image on display until the next one is ready, which causes visual stuttering."

The ps5 gpu is struggling in more points of regular play than the xbox is, both consoles drop when streaming a new event or area which is clearly visible, but through general play the evidence clearly shows the ps5s gpu is taking a hit Just running through the woods or lighting a flare.

Due to the evidence I would imagine this continues to happen through the game.

Anyway, I'm out lol not going back and forth with the usual suspects on this.
Vsync isn't free.

Guess which mode runs a bit higher? It's the one without vsync.
It doesn't matter anyway, one has vsync and runs slightly worse in this game, the others have tearing and run slightly better. We knew this a while ago (except for actual numbers), nothing changed. Maybe they should stop using MSAA.

Considering the Original 360 version ran at like 640p with 4xMSAA due to how the game render handles specific effects, that 4xMSAA was kept in place even though it's now running at 1440p and twice the framerate. MSAA is quite heavy and no console apart from the Original 360 was designed with it in mind, especially since modern consoles focus more on post processing effects and scaling. Not to say more work couldn't be done/improved but as of right now it's doing something with a very heavy AA method.
Hmm that's enlightening. So the 4x msaa is very demanding? Is it at least considered a good form of AA or does it also come with drawbacks?

I bought this on Ps5 and am NOT impressed. It's 'fine', you can see work was put into textures of the environment and character models but those fuckers advertised this as "4k" and it turns to it 1440p and very soft looking at that. His face was beaten by the ugly stick and the cutscenes are of course are 30 fps which is something I'm sadly getting more used to with remasters these days

yeah I did. it's the fragment I am talking about.
Both drop. ps5 just drops sooner and a bit more often. Seems like this part is barely 60 on both.
So strange. ps5 goes 57fps and xbox is 60. but when xbox drops it's below ps5... but not for long.
Seems badly optimized. There is no reason this game cannot be 4k60 or even 120 on both platforms.. the remaster is bad
I'm pissed it's not at least 1800p on next gen. They falsely advertised btw just like platinum games did with bayonetta remaster. Both games in the sony/MS store specifically stated "4k resolution". Total bs. 1440p is not fucking 4k.

In all fairness though the dips on ps5 are barely noticeable and they put more work into this than something like the bayonetta remaster. But when you realize bayonetta was out for ps4 pro/1x at the time and this for ps5/series it makes that 1440p inexcusable.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Vsync isn't free.

Guess which mode runs a bit higher? It's the one without vsync.
It doesn't matter anyway, one has vsync and runs slightly worse in this game, the others have tearing and run slightly better. We knew this a while ago (except for actual numbers), nothing changed. Maybe they should stop using MSAA.

Yeah, of course v sync has a performance hit when it is activated as it is holding frames to ensure a full screen is refreshed. The problem with your example is you are over 60 fps, say 80 to 90 fps in your example so it will drop a few frames more v synced than if it was turned off due to v sync holding frames to elimate tearing. so, for example it may drop from 90 to 86 but the none v sync may drop to 89 or 87 and suffer from torn frames.

In the case of Alan awake. If the ps5 was not struggling with the 60 fps out put it wouldn't drop at all, so for example, if v sync was disabled it may only drop to 57 or 59 fps but show a lot more tearing but as v sync is enabled its dropping to 55/56 fps as the system wait for a full frame it can update.

Your example is apples to oranges as you are looking at fps far exceeding a 60hz lock.

Last edited:
Still won't use it.
Not worth the hit it gives to picture quality.
I'll do it on a case by case basis. But, there a few people here who are clueless about the drawbacks of VRR.

It ultimately is a crutch or a band-aid. Games really need to be optimized to run well without the need for VRR and then that setting is best left off on your television. Most televisions even explicitly say this when you are toggling the option on and off.

VRR should be used only as a last resort.

S0ULZB0URNE

I'll do it on a case by case basis. But, there a few people here who are clueless about the drawbacks of VRR.

It ultimately is a crutch or a band-aid. Games really need to be optimized to run well without the need for VRR and then that setting is best left off on your television. Most televisions even explicitly say this when you are toggling the option on and off.

VRR should be used only as a last resort.
Disabling Local Dimming makes the picture shit.

These TV makers need to make TV's that don't degrade the picture with VRR.

Top Bottom