• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VFX_Veteran got a PS5!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bill hader suck it GIF
I'd start using gifs too if I had a very low IQ and nothing to add to the convo....

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Finally! I hope you will stop shitting on those games just because they are on consoles and enjoy them.

Demon's Souls and Ghost of Tsushima are excellent choices. Then God Of War, Bloodborne and Spider-Man.

Play as a magic user in Demon Souls if you are worried about the difficulty, more fun and easier.
Funny thing is that out of those games, Ghosts of Tsushima was a far more impressive game than the Demon Souls remake for PS5. That game deserves the next gen treatment, but then again how much could they really improve? It looks amazing already.

Lol it's funny to see the normal triggered suspects in here. I don't get why so many of y'all yet bent out of shape over things like this? If you like living in your own made up reality, don't visit threads like this. Too much salt is bad for your blood pressure.

GymWolf

Funny thing is that out of those games, Ghosts of Tsushima was a far more impressive game than the Demon Souls remake for PS5. That game deserves the next gen treatment, but then again how much could they really improve? It looks amazing already.
You mean in term of art style right?

GymWolf

Yes. It's amazing what that development studio did with that game. I don't know enough to say about other stuff.
yeah, i guess that this game artistically speaking is literally THE wet dream for people who like samurai movies.

Last edited:

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
Not a fan of making a thread just to announce you got a console, can you imagine if everyone did that?

But congrats I guess.
To be fair, it feels like half of this forum needlessly foams at the mouth at whatever he has to say. Making a post like this, ironically, announces to the entire forum that those types of knee-jerk reactions are misguided. Of course, it's not as if he was completely innocent in every interaction - there are plenty of examples where an objective analysis turns into shit-throwing contest simply because someone didn't appreciate their favorite videogame being viewed through a critical lens. However, I've definitely noticed a change in personality and humble demeanor since the start of the new year.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Congrats dude, enjoy some of the generation defining games on playstation. After all that, your are gonna be less biased towards PC lol. The 1st thing you will notice immediately and the most stand out is, the lighting in demon's souls. It is not even the textures.
Actually I disagree. Played a little over an hour yesterday. The game is clearly heads above the rest of most games out. But it's not because of the lighting I'm afraid. It uses static light probes a lot. The flashlight that casts dynamic shadows is a nice touch and it looks like they are using the technique from Naughty Dog for GI bounce of the flashlight. The tried and true old expensive but incredible looking parallax occlusion mapping for textures is back! The enormous detail they worked on the textures is amazing! They actually layered the texture pipeline for an asset. I see 1) tessellation on the object, then they layered a POM on top of it. Finally they added high resolution normal mapping on top of that! First I've ever seen in a game. The game is full of polish.

But Ghosts though ....... :messenger_bicep:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Vfx isnt a game developer. Neither am I. His cv is as relevant as mine.

Insult wasnt intended neither he feels that way.
Actually I work on UE at work all the time. While it's not games, there really is no difference when you are using a real-time application. I know several guys in the game industry and there would be no problems with me transitioning over if I wanted to. But I like Lockheed.

GymWolf

Actually I disagree. Played a little over an hour yesterday. The game is clearly heads above the rest of most games out. But it's not because of the lighting I'm afraid. It uses static light probes a lot. The flashlight that casts dynamic shadows is a nice touch and it looks like they are using the technique from Naughty Dog for GI bounce of the flashlight. The tried and true old expensive but incredible looking parallax occlusion mapping for textures is back! The enormous detail they worked on the textures is amazing! They actually layered the texture pipeline for an asset. I see 1) tessellation on the object, then they layered a POM on top of it. Finally they added high resolution normal mapping on top of that! First I've ever seen in a game. The game is full of polish.

What do you think about the human models in the nexus and the dragon model when you enter boletaria?! do you think they are really a step up compared to the best of the best in the old gen?! (of course i don't know how many games with dragons have you played or if you remember how detailed they were)

I'm curious.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I know right!! Man, I love Ghosts! It's the game that Ubisoft should have made instead of trying to implement every other location on the earth other than Japan. Ghosts is extremely pretty! The game needs high res textures bad! I'm really enjoying the story and I much prefer the gameplay over Nioh.

VFXVeteran

Banned
This is a summary of their interview with DF, they talk about this and much more. Are you saying they lied about it?

They never mentioned that they was using the SSD for Demon Souls. They was talking in general terms. I'm pretty sure the layered texture approach they used didn't need streaming.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I know right!! Man, I love Ghosts! It's the game that Ubisoft should have made instead of trying to implement every other location on the earth other than Japan. Ghosts is extremely pretty! The game needs high res textures bad! I'm really enjoying the story and I much prefer the gameplay over Nioh.
It's a remarkable achievement on last generation hardware. Demon Souls was good, but it really didn't hold a candle to Ghosts of Tsushima in terms of sheer impressiveness for me. I wish I knew more technically, but I just play the games and know what my eyes tell me

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Now you can "properly" shit on its games with 30- fps, bad input lag, bad IQ because dynamic 4k, slow analog aiming+claw grip+aim assists, etc... :messenger_winking_tongue:

Mr Moose

I just took everything out the box. It's right side up now, but I ordered a stand accessory so I can make it vertical. I'll take a pic of the new setup once the vertical stand comes in.
The stand that comes with it works vertically and horizontally.
I love Ghost of Tsushima, one of the few games I could be bothered getting platinum for. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Rea

I see, due to your experience, we may perceive differently. For me the thing that most blown me away is lighting. I still am blown away by the amounts of details too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom