• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon teases a ‘5G gaming handheld’ made by Razer

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not to be outdone by Logitech.

Verizon is teasing that it’s working on a 5G gaming handheld with Razer and Qualcomm, which is set to be fully announced on October 15th at RazerCon. The carrier talked a little about the device, which will be called the Razer Edge 5G, at a keynote at MWC Las Vegas, saying that it’ll run Android and give you access to cloud gaming services like Xbox Cloud Gaming. Unlike devices like Logitech’s recently announced G Cloud, however, it does seem like it’ll be able to play games stored locally on the device as well.

Topher

Gold Member
arm-leg.png

I Master l

Banned
Would like something like this for local streaming, Unfortunately Series X remote play quality is shit both stability and image quality wise

jigglet

Banned
Just what we need, another shitty android gaming device capable of playing games your phone can probably play better, or streaming in ass quality with trash controls.

Yeah the moment I see it's backed by Android I kind of lose interest. I have nothing against Android as a phone OS it's just when it's driving a game-oriented platform it just loses me.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

So, it's a new model of phone that includes the controller attachments or it's just the controller attachments? Or an android tablet with controller addon. What a non informative announcement trailer.

High powered phone. Controller attachment is Razer Kishi V2 Pro

Last edited:
Please buy our 5G handheld and our Big Family Supreme+ Max data plan, that will allow for up to 8GB of prioritized 5G cloud gaming data a month!

Topher

Gold Member
So, it's a new model of phone that includes the controller attachments or it's just the controller attachments? Or an android table with controller addon. What a non informative announcement trailer.

High powered phone. Controller attachment is Razer Kishi V2 Pro

They don't ever call it a phone though. Weird.

"Experience the world's first handheld 5G gaming console, optimized for Verizon 5G Ultra Wideband.
Game at home and on-the-go with reliability, low-lag and ultra-fast speed."

4U20sP8.png

The "founders edition" includes wireless earbuds. lol

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

^ Maybe it isn't a phone. 🤷‍♂️

Would be crazy to have a device that size, running android, with a 5g chip and not include the phone functions.

reksveks

I don't think it's a phone, it's a tiny tablet with a possible 5g connection.

If it supports fast charger and the screen is decent, I could see myself buying one. Sadly I am in the UK though.

DaGwaphics

So it's an android phone without phone funtionality attached to a razer kishi ?

You forgot the part about it starting at $399. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The value proposition behind the steam deck is just so much higher for the same starting price. 🤷‍♂️ Makes you wonder sometimes. The biggest advantage that it would have (that it could double as your phone) seems to have not made the cut.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You forgot the part about it starting at $399. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The value proposition behind the steam deck is just so much higher for the same starting price. 🤷‍♂️ Makes you wonder sometimes.

Yeah, that price. I've got a Pixel 2 with a Kishi that I paid $100 for combined I use for xCloud. If I'm going to pay $400 then you are damn right I'm getting Steam Deck and not this thing. Who does Razer think is going to buy this?

DaGwaphics

Yeah, that price. I've got a Pixel 2 with a Kishi that I paid $100 for combined I use for xCloud. If I'm going to pay $400 then you are damn right I'm getting Steam Deck and not this thing. Who does Razer think is going to buy this?

I'm not sure. I think the makers of these specialized streaming devices (or in this case a standalone device that still wants to advertise as being compatible with streaming services) have lost the plot just a bit.

Stadia worked on Chromecast Ultra which was hardly a beast in the specs department. A streaming only device should be looking to take that kind of hardware and slap a screen and a battery with it at something less than $300-$400. Or you could create a phone with all the features of a phone and build in gaming controls and price that accordingly. These recent devices just seem a bit off the mark.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm not sure. I think the makers of these specialized streaming devices (or in this case a standalone device that still wants to advertise as being compatible with streaming services) have lost the plot just a bit.

Stadia worked on Chromecast Ultra which was hardly a beast in the specs department. A streaming only device should be looking to take that kind of hardware and slap a screen and a battery with it at something less than $300-$400. Or you could create a phone with all the features of a phone and build in gaming controls and price that accordingly. These recent devices just seem a bit off the mark.

It is like they see potential for the business but haven't quite figured out how to make money on it. The problem I think many have is they don't see smartphone on-screen controls being very appealing for streaming games built for controllers. I know there has been progress in that regard, but people are still wanting real controls I think and that's what companies like Razer and Logitech are trying to deliver but then you are still carrying around a dedicated device to gaming along with a phone. Maybe that doesn't matter though. Maybe the dedicated mobile gaming market is where game streaming really starts to take off. Thing is, I think you are dead-on that this price misses the mark by quite a bit. What I would like to see happen is for Microsoft to sell a device of their own. Sell it at a discount with a year's worth of Game Pass. Wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that when xCoud comes out of beta.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It is like they see potential for the business but haven't quite figured out how to make money on it. The problem I think many have is they don't see smartphone on-screen controls being very appealing for streaming games built for controllers. I know there has been progress in that regard, but people are still wanting real controls I think and that's what companies like Razer and Logitech are trying to deliver but then you are still carrying around a dedicated device to gaming along with a phone. Maybe that doesn't matter though. Maybe the dedicated mobile gaming market is where game streaming really starts to take off. Thing is, I think you are dead-on that this price misses the mark by quite a bit. What I would like to see happen is for Microsoft to sell a device of their own. Sell it at a discount with a year's worth of Game Pass. Wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that when xCoud comes out of beta.

Absolutely. I think streaming could give a boost to a modern take on "the gaming phone", something akin to the Xperia devices of old. It would be niche sure, but I think there are enough gamers out there to make it viable.

And I can see where a device like the Logitech streaming device could work as well, if the price was lower. The BOM on a Chromcast Ultra and a standard game controller shouldn't be that high, and a mediocre screen and battery shouldn't cost that much either. Seems like you should be able to put this together for a $100 or $150 tops. Logitech went and priced theirs practically the same as options with hardware powerful enough to run games locally.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I guess this is my only valid option as Valve haven't released the Deck in Norway.

You could buy a cheap older android and a Kishi. That’s what I did.

sisgbYP.jpg

Around $100 with the Kishi on sale for $50. This was the V1 Kishi though

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Wait, isn't this better than the Logitech cloud thing in almost every way for the same price?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Someone who wants to cloud stream or steam link on an oled?

TrebleShot

I’ve been using my IPhone 14 pro max with a backbone for a while and recently got the steam deck, the biggest difference is screen size, the steam deck with remote play and cloud gaming is playable and enjoyable, on the backbone it’s just too small a screen to be enjoyable, interested to know when we’ll see these controllers made for something like the iPad mini, that would be very cool indeed.

And no connecting a controller isn’t the same, you want to hold it , the screen as part of it.

spons

Gold Member
What's the GPU in this? If it's Mali then don't bother. AetherSX2 for example will run poopy on it.

Edit: it's Adreno, so that's good.

Last edited:

Dural

Specs are mediocre. DOA.

Specs are great, should be one of the fastest Android devices out there, especially with active cooling.

The Razer kishi broken the usb c connector of my phone so I won't never buy a usb c game controller for a smartphone (or this tabletphone or whatever it is)

Yep, one of the reasons I don't use a usb c controller with my phone. This does look like it was made to go with the Kishi and has better support than the standard Kishi. Don't know why they went with a 21:9 display though, just about everything is going to have black bars because of it and it makes the whole thing wider. I also can't stand how classic games look on 21:9.

Top Bottom