• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VERGE:Phil Spencer told Sony back in January that Microsoft would keep Call of Duty on PlayStation for “several years” after current deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Microsoft is committing to keeping Call of Duty on PlayStation for “several more years” beyond the existing marketing deal Sony has with Activision. Microsoft Gaming CEO and Xbox chief Phil Spencer made the commitment in a written letter to PlayStation head Jim Ryan earlier this year, and it’s the clearest sign yet that Call of Duty won’t suddenly disappear from PlayStation platforms if Microsoft’s $68.7 billion deal is approved by regulators.

“In January, we provided a signed agreement to Sony to guarantee Call of Duty on PlayStation, with feature and content parity, for at least several more years beyond the current Sony contract, an offer that goes well beyond typical gaming industry agreements,” says Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer in a statement to The Verge.

Exactly how many years Call of Duty is guaranteed on PlayStation still isn’t crystal clear, but Bloomberg originally reported earlier this year that Microsoft was committed to releasing Call of Duty on PlayStation “for at least the next two years,” suggesting that Sony’s marketing deal for the franchise could expire in 2024. Microsoft then publicly committed in February to keeping Call of Duty “available on PlayStation beyond the existing agreement and into the future.”

More here:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/2/2...station-letter-commitment-activision-blizzard

This is gangsta as shit. He's basically confirming it's going exclusive? Or just that they won't give Xbox any kind feature or content perks until after the agreement? Either way, that tells you his confidence in the deal closing right there.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/2/2...station-letter-commitment-activision-blizzard

“In January, we provided a signed agreement to Sony to guarantee Call of Duty on PlayStation, with feature and content parity, for at least several more years beyond the current Sony contract, an offer that goes well beyond typical gaming industry agreements,” says Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer in a statement to The Verge.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
lmao we made it same time. He's essentially confirming COD will go exclusive or at least that there won't be any xbox specific content perks till after a good while. Either way, Microsoft is reserving their options to make it exclusive it sounds like. God damn!
As soon as I hit post I saw yours as well :)

GHG

Gold Member
So they are taking this public via the press instead of doing it in private directly with the relevant regulatory bodies?

Not surprising unfortunately. Considering what's been going on of late I hope Jim ghosted him.

Why am I picturing Tom Warren jerking off to this
I thought it was just me...

Season 12 Abc GIF

Banjo64

cumsessed
This is gangsta as shit. He's basically confirming it's going exclusive? Or just that they won't give Xbox any kind feature or content perks until after the agreement? Either way, that tells you his confidence in the deal closing right there.

How is that gangsta as shit you muppet? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The mask has slipped for a lot of posters now and whilst originally it was all ‘yeah man Xbox is so chill of course they will publish CoD on PS forever Xbox is all about options only Sony cares about muh exclusivity’ and now you’re getting a stiffy over depriving PS players of a multi platform game?

It would be hilarious if you weren’t actually cheering on a mega coorperation. You a wanksta.

You're probably overthinking it, it just says it's not going to be exclusive for the next few releases (depending on the current contract).

That's not confidence that the deal is closing, he only did it to help ensure that it DOES close... Why the fuck else would he put it in writing instead of just reassuring them?

If I had to guess, it'll either be the next two games after this upcoming one (they're switching to a release every two years instead of 1), or they'll let it finish this generation of console before going exclusive the next.... Probably the first one

You're probably overthinking it, it just says it's not going to be exclusive for the next few releases (depending on the current contract).

That's not confidence that the deal is closing, he only did it to help ensure that it DOES close... Why the fuck else would he put it in writing instead of just reassuring them?

If I had to guess, it'll either be the next two games after this upcoming one (they're switching to a release every two years instead of 1), or they'll let it finish this generation of console before going exclusive the next.... Probably the first one

That screams confidence to put it like THAT in writing with what sounds like they're reserving their options to take it away altogether. That's confidence no matter how you slice it.

cormack12

Gold Member
Several more years would indicate it could actually coinincide with a new console release. Exactly what the premise of the opposition is and what they want to make sure doesn't happen.

Honesty, there is no way MS gives up the revenue here. I think it's a carefully crafted gentleman's agreement which probably means exclusive content, gamepass released rather than platform exclusivity.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Its vague shit like this thats got people all worked up about it. Its all "case by case" this and "we'll have to see".
Why lock themselves in? Obviously this acquisition is being done to achieve market dominance. Looks like everything is going to plan. No one even cares about any of this outside of fanboys. The rest is just SOP. Businesses don't spend billions to keep their competitors happy.

Last edited:
Hopefully by the time CoD goes exclusive it’ll essentially be irrelevant

Gives Sony almost a decade to fund their own ambitious CoD killers

Shouldn’t be hard. Thank you merciful Phil
Sony has had over two decades to create a "Halo Killer" and they failed miserably, most notably with Killzone and Resistance franchises. What makes you think they'll have any success creating an FPS experience that will be more successful than COD?

jm89

Sony has had over two decades to create a "Halo Killer" and they failed miserably, most notably with Killzone and Resistance franchises. What makes you think they'll have any success creating an FPS experience that will be more successful than COD?
Well for starters they have bungie, yes bungie games will probably be multiplatform but they have that experience to help out with other studios.

They are clearly taking live service alot more serious this time with far more experienced studios with alot more funding. It's not the same as the ps3 generation where they where bleeding millions and their studios where up and coming.

Jimbo already got the train rolling, laying the seeds early.

Last edited:
Several more years would indicate it could actually coinincide with a new console release. Exactly what the premise of the opposition is and what they want to make sure doesn't happen.

Honesty, there is no way MS gives up the revenue here. I think it's a carefully crafted gentleman's agreement which probably means exclusive content, gamepass released rather than platform exclusivity.

The agreement Phil wrote said feature parity.

Why lock themselves in? Obviously this acquisition is being done to achieve market dominance. Looks like everything is going to plan. No one even cares about any of this outside of fanboys. The rest is just SOP. Businesses don't spend billions to keep their competitors happy.

People don't care that they're going to be forced to buy a whole other console to play historically 3rd party games?

Check yourself.

3liteDragon

What’s funny is that Sony didn’t need a Halo killer, Microsoft basically killed it over the course of 20 years by themselves. The same thing will happen to CoD with the way Microsoft mismanages studios and turns them into derivative IP factories that eventually fade into irrelevance due to lack of ambition.

I just want more competition in the FPS space. Sony opted out this past decade.

Last edited:
The worst thing Sony reps said recently was being worried about not having CoD in the future. Saying things like that is like jumping into shark infested waters with an open wound. Keep those thoughts internal and instead tell your audience that you're looking into your shooter vault to see what I.P. can compete. MS owning them should cause motivation not fear.

As plenty have said, SOCOM is still considered a revered name(even if the series had two bad entries) and should drive Sony to do whatever they can to make it a serious AAA competitor.

I don't know what they'll decide, but keeping it real, if you pay $68.7 billion it's expected you're going to have some boss fucking privileges, which eventually means removing it from the competition if they desire to. Let's be real, Sony is cutthroat with their exclusive content also.

Now, do I ever expect Microsoft to take such a step? I really and truly don't, but this letter and that wording and Phil's response acknowledging that he sent this, pointing out that this is beyond the norm for games industry agreements, tells me that Microsoft is considering and reserving their right to indeed take that very step.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
People don't care that they're going to be forced to buy a whole other console to play historically 3rd party games?

Check yourself.
Fanboys do. Everyone else either has no idea this deal is happening or won't care as it is so many years away from having any impact to COD if ever.

Fanboys do. Everyone else either has no idea this deal is happening or won't care as it is so many years away from having any impact to COD if ever.

I'm pretty sure everyone with even a moderate interest knows Microsoft is buying these studios. I dont want to have to buy an xbox to play games I used to be able to play on playstation, many don't, they're not all fanboys.

sainraja

And so the pendulum keeps swinging back and forth!

Microsoft also stated this:
"The reality is somewhere in the middle. Microsoft has also argued in these documents to CADE that not distributing games like Call of Duty at rival console stores “would simply not be profitable” for the company."

And then this:
"Microsoft says a strategy of not distributing Activision Blizzard games on rival consoles would only be profitable if the games could attract a high number of players over to the Xbox ecosystem, resulting in revenue to compensate for losses from not selling these titles on rival consoles."

It shouldn't be this hard to give a clear statement. However, given this was said in January, I wonder if their recent statements are a better indicator of a change in their plans or is there something else in play.

No one even cares about any of this outside of fanboys.
Literally not true

I own both consoles, along with ps+ and game pass, so I'm hardly a fanboy.

With that said, I'm absolutely hoping it closes, and Microsoft can resume acquisitions.

New Diablos and call of duty day 1, back catalog added, maybe we'll see starcraft 2 ported to console now, etc.

Sony acquisitions are exciting in that they'll do good things with the studio, but with a 70 dollar price tag, I'd much prefer xbox to continue adding developers.

yurinka

No, says the opposite. They said the brazilian regulator that wouldn't be profitable to make it console exclusive, and in the first SEC filing they did use the Minecraft IP as example that they plan to keep their main IPs multiplatform, as their president siad on TV or as Phil also said this week on his blog post when he said that they will continue releasing CoD on PS and day one (their president even went to mention Switch). Now he repeated the same he did back then in January publicly on Twitter: that he talked with PS to tell them that they intend to continue releasing CoD on PS beyond any current deals they have with Sony (deal which I may be wrong but I think Bloomberg said ended in 2024).

He, MS or ABK never said that in the future CoD or its content will go console exclusive. They want to put these games in more platforms to make more money, not in less. They bought them mainly to secure that they put them on GP asap (deals with Sony may delay inclusion on GP of a few current and future ABK/CoD games as happened with RE Village or Deathloop). Games like CoD, Diablo IV or Overwatch 2 will release on PS as usual.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
The worst thing Sony reps said recently was being worried about not having CoD in the future. Saying things like that is like jumping into shark infested waters with an open wound. Keep those thoughts internal and instead tell your audience that you're looking into your shooter vault to see what I.P. can compete. MS owning them should cause motivation not fear.

As plenty have said, SOCOM is still considered a revered name(even if the series had two bad entries) and should drive Sony to do whatever they can to make it a serious AAA competitor.

It was private, the documents got leaked in Brazil.

like I’ve said on here before, people will end up thanking Jim Ryan for this GAAS/Multiplayer initiative because if Sony didn’t get Bungie and sign these big multiplayer veterans to game deals the future would be very bleak for them.

I truly do believe sony will end up having a few big multiplayer/service games that will make up for the loss of CoD especially with it going exclusive and losing a good amount of its player base.

Bungies next game, and all the other multiplayer will weather the storm

Markio128

Sony can now call on a lot of decent talent in that space, including Bungie, along with ex-COD devs. Whatever happens, it’ll certainly be interesting to see how it pans out. Who’d have thought Halo would be where it is now?

Pedro Motta

I'm fuckin confused. How can one read this article and come up with that conclusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom