• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venturebeat - PlayStation won’t attend E3 2020, and that’s a mistake

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
They could easily replace E3 with a conference showing a few good games and fans would still be satisfied
Thats no excuse. Microsoft will be at E3, have their own events and attend other gaming events this year. They arent skipping out on E3. Micrsoft could do the same thing -- just hold their own events and skip out on E3 if they wanted to. They'll still make a major splash! Sony's looking right shook if you ask me.

Sorry ladies and gents, trying to get a grip on this multi quote thing and shit...Lol

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Thats no excuse. Microsoft will be at E3, have their own events and attend other gaming events this year. They arent skipping out on E3. Micrsoft could do the same thing -- just hold their own events and skip out on E3 if they wanted to. They'll still make a major splash! Sony's looking right shook if you ask me.

Sorry ladies and gents, trying to get a grip on this multi quote thing and shit...Lol
Microsoft mostly relies on 3rd party games to carry their conferences while Sony mainly like to show what separates them from the competition

E3 is only 1 show, like I said Sony can replace it with their own event

Hobbygaming

This is sorta true. There will be some differences though: 1) this is E3. Not just "another " E3. But an E3 to speak about a brand new generation of hardware and experiences. Its a major tradition among the gaming community and one most people expect to hear and see what those experiences are. Where Presentation is paramount in order to set the tone for the rest of the generation. This is how Sony won the current gen as stated in the article. Because they had a competitor who shared their own story, but, as fait would have it, Sony had a better one and the gaming community endorsed their message loud and clear. How do they do that now?

2) Microsoft will be coming with guns blazing. The gaming public knows this without quarrel. Sony games will look spectacular (even if their console is underpowered..) but since Microsoft went and built their own armada of dev houses and will have the more powerful console next gen, Sony's first party will not go unchallenged this time around. If people are expecting Microsoft not to have titles that show the power of the Series X, you're dreaming. There will be heavy hitters from the games department for Team Green. There will be major GP announcements. And I'd wager an acquisition or two from Japan and probably UK.

E3 is about setting the tone for your brand and telling a story about how they're offering you something better than the other guy. With Sony not there, they miss out on that opportunity. Missing two E3's in a row with 2020 E3 all about a brand new gen doesn't have a good ring to it. I don't care what you say...
I actually wanted Sony to attend E3 this year but let's be honest Sony being on any stage announcing Spider-man 2, GoW 5, Horizon 2 and some new IPs would be hard to beat by anyone

And hopefully MS does go in guns blazing, but my faith in that has dwindled over the years

Sony won't give in to a list of demands from the current cancel culture here in the West that want to censor and control them. They'll handle this on their own. They got this. By not showing up, Sony is making sure we don't get a Mass Effect: Andromeda from them.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Microsoft mostly relies on 3rd party games to carry their conferences while Sony mainly like to show what separates them from the competition

E3 is only 1 show, like I said Sony can replace it with their own event
But we know Microsoft has much more to offer when talking about 1st party experiences. There will be 3rd party but there will also be 1st party too. E3 isnt just ONE SHOW. Its THE SHOW for the gaming public -- especially when talking about next generation??? Come on! This is the one show the general public looks forward to!

Hobbygaming

But we know Microsoft has much more to offer when talking about 1st party experiences. There will be 3rd party but there will also be 1st party too. E3 isnt just ONE SHOW. Its THE SHOW for the gaming public -- especially when talking about next generation??? Come on! This is the one show the general public looks forward to!
What do you watch E3 for? To see new game trailers right? So what's the difference in Sony doing their own thing showing off new games?

Gavon West

I actually wanted Sony to attend E3 this year but let's be honest Sony being on any stage announcing Spider-man 2, GoW 5, Horizon 2 and some new IPs would be hard to beat by anyone

And hopefully MS does go in guns blazing, but my faith in that has dwindled over the years
That would be hard to beat, no doubt. But none of those games are ready and we all know it.

If anything; my faith has been restored in the Xbox brand since Phil took over. Its a very exciting time to be an Xbox gamer!

In 2020, E3 is a mistake.
9dc.gif

Hobbygaming

That would be hard to beat, no doubt. But none of those games are ready and we all know it.

If anything; my faith has been restored in the Xbox brand since Phil took over. Its a very exciting time to be an Xbox gamer!
I wouldn't be so sure that none of them are ready to be shown

Spider-man 2 is being rumored for 2021 and it's Insomniac they make good games in 2-3 years time. Spider-man PS4 took 3 years

HZD released in 2017

Gavon West

What do you watch E3 for? To see new game trailers right? So what's the difference in Sony doing their own thing showing off new games?
Again, you're looking at this as any other E3. Its not! Its E3 for the new generation. We watch to see what's coming down the pipeline but the games shown are a representation of next generation games. That's what gamers are hyped for. E3 is for the fans and it gets the hardcore engaged right away since we're the ones that coerce our friends in which system looks the most solid and which console we plan to invest in.

Again, this is for a new generation. Its a major deal to all gamers. And E3 is the best place (at least for a next gen console and its games) for the gaming community to gather.

Gavon West

Sony won't give in to a list of demands from the current cancel culture here in the West that want to censor and control them. They'll handle this on their own. They got this. By not showing up, Sony is making sure we don't get a Mass Effect: Andromeda from them.
Bullshit! Sony doesn't have anything to show and they aren't up against a weaker competitor anymore. Microsoft will be locked and loaded and Sony would rather skip this E3 than take a chance at having a mediocre appearance next to the competition.

Top Bottom