• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegetarian |OT| of live and let live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natetan

The Friendly Monster said:
Or your thumb if you're me, I have a massive scar now with the least cool story attached!

yeah it's true mandolines can suck for that. just got to be careful that's all. i love my daikon carrot salad too much!

Empty

any recommendations for veggie christmas dinners - it's my first christmas as a vegetarian and my mum likes to be very organized so is pushing me to hurry up with coming up for something to have.

vdx5q.jpg

i'm not even vegetarian anymore but i prefer this over real turkey

any recommendations for veggie christmas dinners - it's my first christmas as a vegetarian and my mum likes to be very organized so is pushing me to hurry up with coming up for something to have.
As old hat and shit as it sounds nut roast can actually be really good if done well. You can have all the veg too with it if you ask your mum not to use animal fat when cooking them.

Gaaraz

Can someone please recommend some really tasy, quick and easy sandwhich fillers that don't include meat?

At the moment I buy things like sweet chilli chicken, coronation chicken, chicken tikka, piri piri chicken... (you get the idea!) but finding any of these sauces ready to go in a sandwhich filler with some Quorn or whatever is seemingly impossible, I can only find either cooking sauces, or sauces from a squeezy bottle which just aren't even close to the same.

Any recommendations please Veggie-GAF? I'm not vegetarian, but I'm trying to cut down drastically on the meat I eat.

Help me Veggie Gaf. Necro-bumping since I don't feel like making a thread:

I want to go vegetarian for the summer to try it out, but I'm having trouble finding out what I specifically need to consume while I'm on this diet. What specific supplements should I add to my shopping list to make sure I'm getting all the right nutrients? I know I'll need B12 for one but are things like iron hard to get in plant form? I want to cut out all animal products but if I can't then I will probably add in milk just to make sure I'm getting adequate protein since I'll be lifting weights and such.

Help me Veggie Gaf. Necro-bumping since I don't feel like making a thread:

I want to go vegetarian for the summer to try it out, but I'm having trouble finding out what I specifically need to consume while I'm on this diet. What specific supplements should I add to my shopping list to make sure I'm getting all the right nutrients? I know I'll need B12 for one but are things like iron hard to get in plant form? I want to cut out all animal products but if I can't then I will probably add in milk just to make sure I'm getting adequate protein since I'll be lifting weights and such.

There is thankfully a lot of info out there on the internet about vegetarian/vegan training.

I usually take a regular multivitamin with iron (nothing fancy, just a cheapie Top Care brand from the grocery store) but it isn't hard to get adequate iron from plants--I've just been too lazy :\ Leafy green vegetables (the darker ones, usually) are good sources of iron, as are beans. I like to take vitamin C with meals to increase the absorbtion of iron. And actually, milk and dairy products decrease the body's ability to absorb iron, so it might be a good idea to keep them to a minimum if you are concerned about iron intake.

Here's a good article about plant-based iron sources: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm

good info on nutrition and sample meal programs: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=food

And, since I mentioned I was lazy, I take the easy way out and supplement with soy protein powder. I might be able to hit like 80 grams of protein a day without, but I just don't have the dedication to get the whole '1g protein for every lb. body weight during a bulking cycle' without it. You don't even need to drink it in shakes; I like to add it to my morning oatmeal, for instance.

I'm not vegan, I'm strict vegetarian, but I've found the easiest way to find info is to Google for "vegan weight lifting" or "vegan weight training" websites and articles. There's some good stuff out there.

Good luck :)

daegan

It kind of bums me out how many people on here are of the opinion that it's rude of them to serve a vegetarian dish as a host/for people to base where they go to eat based on their beliefs.

I'm getting married in a few months and we're serving a vegetarian meal; at first some of our family members were upset but when we explain that everyone can eat everything, suddenly they realize that it's okay.

daegan

Personally I've never had an issue with it, outside of my being anemic regardless of vegetarianism. (I've always had to take iron occasionally.) Just try not to eat a ton of the same things (it's easy to do when you're getting started) and of course, leafy greens are your best friend.

Found and bumped this thread cos of a question I got for vegetarian-GAF:

Is your S.O. also a vegetarian (or vegan)?

I've kinda experienced a change in terms of who I am attracted to ever since I became a vegetarian - gals who eat meat are just less attractive to me. Stuff like Kate Upton eating a burger in that Carl Jr. ad is just somewhat off-putting.

I've kinda experienced a change in terms of who I am attracted to ever since I became a vegetarian - gals who eat meat are just less attractive to me. Stuff like Kate Upton eating a burger in that Carl Jr. ad is just somewhat off-putting.

I am definitely more attracted to vegetarian girls. just imagine kissing someone who just ate a some salami/peperoni-sandwich or something. ugh

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
My wife is also veggie.

If I was single. There is no way I'd go out with a meat eater.

DJ_Lae

I've dated vegetarian girls in the past both while I was eating a vegetarian diet and when I wasn't. Didn't bother me either way.

I never dated a meat eater while vegetarian, but that's simply because my foray into strict vegetarianism was short-lived. I now prefer to just have a handful of vegetarian or vegan meals a week.

Futureman

can anyone help with some vegetarian lunch ideas? I pack my lunch and usually eat deli meat wrapped in cheese, nuts, and apple. What can I replace the deli meat with? Goin to Trader Joe's after work.

If you're really attached to that...soy lunch meat? It tastes basically the same.

When I met my now-wife, I was a meat-eater and she was vegetarian. A few months later, I went vegetarian too. About six months after that, I went vegan, and then when we moved in together a year after that, she went fully vegan too.

Really can't imagine dating a non-vegan now.

can anyone help with some vegetarian lunch ideas? I pack my lunch and usually eat deli meat wrapped in cheese, nuts, and apple. What can I replace the deli meat with? Goin to Trader Joe's after work.

Soy lunch meat or similar fake meat products.

Though I would just replace it with with a couple of nice vegetables, like grilled courgettes/mushrooms/peppers/red onions and just turn it into a Mediterranean lunch sandwhich. Use feta cheese as cheese.

Futureman

hmm ok, I'll look around at Trader Joe's. I'm not necessarily looking for a direct vegetarian replacement of deli meat, but I'll try it out.

I was quite surprised how much I liked the Tofurky Italian sausage I got the other day.

Or your thumb if you're me, I have a massive scar now with the least cool story attached!

I have a 15 inch scar that runs down my leg that I got from a bar fight... I mean sledding accident. Not even skiing!

Soy lunch meat or similar fake meat products.

Though I would just replace it with with a couple of nice vegetables, like grilled courgettes/mushrooms/peppers/red onions and just turn it into a Mediterranean lunch sandwhich. Use feta cheese as cheese.

Id go with veggies instead of the fake meats as well. Fake meats work in a pinch but they're often made from processed shit that's not great for you.

Futureman

Two more quick veggie questions...

I really like making salads. I have my "standard" salad somewhat set, but I was wondering about the actual leafy greens. What are my best options? Normally I just buy the prepackaged romaine lettuce bags, but those seem to brown fairly quick and I feel like there are better options. Spinach?

related, do you guys/gals usually stock up for a week's worth of veggies, or do you typically make multiple grocery store visits per week so you have the freshest stuff on hand at all times? If I want to space my food shopping out to about a week between each trip, what is the best way to store veggies in a fridge? Just some standard tupperware?

notworksafe

If you're really attached to that...soy lunch meat? It tastes basically the same.
After being forced to eat to that stuff as a kid, I can say with certainty that it does not taste the same.

If you want a veggie replacement for the meat try just using veggies. They are way better for you than the stuff the fake meat is made from anyway.

I really like making salads. I have my "standard" salad somewhat set, but I was wondering about the actual leafy greens. What are my best options? Normally I just buy the prepackaged romaine lettuce bags, but those seem to brown fairly quick and I feel like there are better options. Spinach?

related, do you guys/gals usually stock up for a week's worth of veggies, or do you typically make multiple grocery store visits per week so you have the freshest stuff on hand at all times? If I want to space my food shopping out to about a week between each trip, what is the best way to store veggies in a fridge? Just some standard tupperware?
I'm no longer strict vegetarian but I always make multiple trips throughout the week to pick up whatever I want to make for the next day or two. I also live right next to a store so that is easier for me. I don't really use any special tupperware, just put stuff in the veggie drawer of the fridge.

For salads I like spinach, radicchio, and a bit of romaine as well. Don't bother with the bags. You can buy that stuff for cheap on its own and mix it together yourself. It literally takes like 2 minutes. Add some tomato, radish, carrot, cucumber or whatever you like and you've got a tasty mix. Don't buy a lot either, just what you plan to use. That way nothing gets brown or gross.

Avocado goes well in a packed sandwich, and/or hummous. I'd generally just cook extra the night before and take in a tupperware of leftovers to work, maybe with some salad.

I love raw spinach, rocket or watercress. Very little or no dressing. Yum. I work my own hours from home so go food shopping every couple of days, with what I'm going to make in mind already. Root veg can last a while but I try and use everything else within a couple of days of buying it.

For lunch I like having a sandwich with soy and linseed multigrain bread, avocado, small bit of cheese, thin slice of peanut butter, sliced mushrooms and some baby spinach leaves.

amrihua

Went vegetarian last year and vegan this year, couldn't be healthier. I have to cook everything myself though because I live in Japan and here almost everything has meat in it.

Wouldn't care too much, it is her personal choice. I'd lead by example. Not that I have much of a choice everyone here eats meat and the idea of being vegan is laughable and can actually be considered negative.

Went vegetarian last year and vegan this year, couldn't be healthier. I have to cook everything myself though because I live in Japan and here almost everything has meat in it.

Wouldn't care too much, it is her personal choice. I'd lead by example. Not that I have much of a choice everyone here eats meat and the idea of being vegan is laughable and can actually be considered negative.

Major respect for being Vegan in Japan. When I visited my then girlfriend while she was teaching for Nova I had a difficult time just eating vegetarian. In the month I was there I ate a lot of egg salad sandwiches from convenience stores and went to all the Indian restaurants we could. The worst would be when our "vegetable" curries would come with hunks of meat or the primavera pasta had tiny red chunks of mystery meat.

amrihua

Major respect for being Vegan in Japan. When I visited my then girlfriend while she was teaching for Nova I had a difficult time just eating vegetarian. In the month I was there I ate a lot of egg salad sandwiches from convenience stores and went to all the Indian restaurants we could. The worst would be when our "vegetable" curries would come with hunks of meat or the primavera pasta had tiny red chunks of mystery meat.

Which is why I avoid eating outside. Last time I tried with friends at rest stop in Fukushima I inquired and nothing on the menu was vegan. So I ate nothing.

Not that hard in Tokyo if you know where to look, but living in the country side it is impossible.

I have a question for all of the vegans that avoid meat because of the animal cruelty factor.

Do you avoid all of these products?

Serious question because I do not think many people realize how much stuff is made from animals.

products-made-from-cow-vegan.jpg

No one is perfect. I try my best and avoid animal-based products as much as I can to the best of my knowledge. Some will be unavoidable but to me it is about minimizing the damage. If I can do less damage I will.

Of course not everyone sees it that way, I got called a hypocrite by someone because I live in an apartment and drink beer. To some unless I live in a forest removed from society being vegan is just hypocrisy.

Kinda figured I'd give this thread a bump instead of creating a new thread:

Any vegetarians here who are into strength building/aestethic body building?
How are you guys getting the proteins you need?

I would struggle to get my 180g if it wasn't for my whey.

Yeah my gf is also veggie. It's just easier all round... and cheaper on the grocery bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom