• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegetarian |OT| of live and let live

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a vegetarian in theory, but the other day I realized that I sometimes am in practice. There will be times where I'll go weeks without eating meat, because of how expensive it is. The main times I eat it are when I'm mooching off someone else. I thought it was interesting that it took me so long to realize this. It makes me think that I could probably handle going veggie long term, though I have no real reason or desire to try.

Of course, I'm assuming drinking milk doesn't count.

This is something i could really use help with. I regularly cook for my family (even when its just my immediate family thats 8 people).

Im looking for quality recipes to serve that many people that don't have any or much meat (it can get quite expensive).

It doesn't have to be one big meal, just some food which can prepared in a reasonable amount of time.

Most of the time i stick with something like spaghetti bol, fried rice or a stir fry (i can already do a type of stir fry and fried rice without meat so thats a start). Im hoping to find some more recipes they like that are healthy without being too expensive.

Even though i know meat in and of itself isn't unhealthy my family eats way too much meat (some of them will have it for every meal where possible, or the entire meal consisting of meat).

Speculator

BioWare Austin
woohoo, veggie thread. My Twin and I have been vegetarians pretty much our whole life (mostly due to family religion. Don't practice really it much now..but still enjoy the vegetarian lifestyle). Just want to suggest that if anybody ever takes a trip to their local asian markets...theres a huge commodity of Taiwanese vegetarian products available to expand your recipes with. Everything from veggie ham/pork/fish/chicken/ to beef (some products can get on the pricey side though).

genjiZERO

Currently I am not a vegetarian, but have been off and on for the last 13 years abouts. I prefer vegetarianism though, but I'm not currently because I find it nearly impossible to be a vegetarian and eat healthily and easily at the same time. I do intend on going back one day. Actually I've been think thinking about it for a bit lately . . . Anyway, here's a great link to a whole lot of Indian vegetarian food. Enjoy

http://www.harekrsna.com/practice/prasadam/recipes/recipes.htm

PS: I'm not trying to convert anyone to being a Hare Krishna - but they do know a thing or two about vegetarian foods.

Nice thread! I'm an omnivore, still love my meat. I have recently been exposed to a lot of great vegan and vegetarian meals through a girl I've been seeing.

So yeah, kind of a part-time veg I guess.

SolKane

Whoompthereitis said:
Nice thread! I'm an omnivore, still love my meat. I have recently been exposed to a lot of great vegan and vegetarian meals through a girl I've been seeing.

So yeah, kind of a part-time veg I guess.

you realize that in every thread you reference some "girl you've been seeing?"

beje

Banned
Earl Cazone said:
So has anyone here ever made seitan? I want to try to make it myself but i never found the time or willpower to actually do it.

I made it at home some months ago. I f'd up the spice and soy sauce proportions: added too much and it came too "brown" and a little strong-flavoured but it was good anyway. Probably you can find really easy instructions here: Seitan with Satan. I did more or less the same steps except I made the vegetable stock by myself and added spices.

By the way, I love this thread. I'm not completely vegetarian myself, but I eat so little meat and fish (only ham/turkey/tuna for sandwiches) that I can relate to most of you, and I do it mostly for health concerns though animal cruelty and the notion that producing meat takes 10 to 20 times more energy than growing crops for human consumption also have some impact. I'll try to post some good recipes when I arrive home.

Cygnus X-1

This thread is a SO good idea.

I'm vegan since 4 years now. No regrets. It's so self-satisfactory to be in the right. And it's great to know that what I'm eating reduced to impact on animals to a minimum.

My recipe for dinner is seitan and beans.

kame-sennin said:
I have a video suggestion for the OP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYYNY2oKVWU

Richard Dawkins interviews Peter Singer about evolution and why it may support the ethics of vegetarianism.

Btw, this is a great thread. I wasn't sure a vegetarian thread could be created on gaf without all the animosity that's typically seen, but this one is pretty peaceful. That's nice to see.

Been vegan since about 2005.

Yeah, that's one of the most important reasons why I don't speak too much about vegan-eating with my colleagues. It turns often out like a small war.

We took our decision. Let's the others think for themselves independently.

Cygnus X-1

Earl Cazone said:
So has anyone here ever made seitan? I want to try to make it myself but i never found the time or willpower to actually do it.

I eat it 2-3 times per week. It's my biggest source of proteins alongside beans, peas and lens. Even tofu is a nice source of proteins.

Simply take a frying pan. Add some olive oil, than put your seitan for 30 minutes more or less. Voilà! It's ready to be eaten! It is so simple!

thesoapster said:

Yes?

I love NeoGAF threads with a whole bunch of bullshit rules designed to quash dissenting viewpoints.

If you are claiming that this isn't one of those threads, WTF is this:

This part is in the thread because I wanted to show videos about vegetarian lifestyle and reasons for it. I especially recommend our daily bread since it has no commentary or soundtrack or clever editing that tries to make things worse or better. Please do not discuss the validity of these videos. Most of these are made by activists who try to spread their agenda, but I felt it was necessary to at least have some of the shock-value videos here to show what can be the reality in meat production. I realize these videos are biased and will probably stir up some bad reactions of people trying to question their validity, but again, please don’t discuss that in this topic.

So...this thread is, by your own admission, a repository for pro-vegetarian propaganda, and you are trying to disallow people from discussing that propaganda...in a DISCUSSION forum.

That's an interesting approach. I guess the next logical step are religious threads where someone can say "no atheist posts" or "atheist posts only."

With a little luck, his thread could turn into something almost as bad as the Android thread, where a mod subtly talks about bannings when someone posts a genuine, mainstream news story, just because the story doesn't agree with a group of posters' notions that Android will take over the smartphone universe.

Pristine_Condition said:
I love NeoGAF threads with a whole bunch of bullshit rules designed to quash dissenting viewpoints.

So...this thread is, by your own admission, a repository for pro-vegetarian propaganda, and you are trying to disallow people from discussing that propaganda...in a DISCUSSION forum.

That's an interesting approach. I guess the next logical step are religious threads where someone can say "no atheist posts" or "atheist posts only."

With a little luck, his thread could turn into something almost as bad as the Android thread, where a mod subtly talks about bannings when someone posts a genuine, mainstream news story, just because the story doesn't agree with a group of posters' notions that Android will take over the smartphone universe.

He's trying to not start a fight yet you accuse him of propaganda?

The main point of this thread is to share ideas and give advice. No one is trying to shove broccoli down your throat.

Ryuukan

I indulge in all gastronomic delights, so I offer one of my favorites:
vegetarian-chicken1.jpg

You might find it premade at many asian markets as 'vegetarian chicken' or 'duck' however they may use a sauce containing oysters even if it's labeled 'vegetarian'.

Here's a link to a good howto for them.

I find Tofu skin delicious and very versitile however I would recommend marinating them overnight as they have no flavor of their own. Shiitake and bamboo shoots are the traditional standard but put whatever you want in there.

Pristine_Condition said:

I actually agree with you here, pro-vegetarian material doesn't belong here. You shouldn't have one side of an argument and then not allow any other. Thankfully no one has actually been discussing them though, in a positive or negative light.

It may surprise you but a lot of vegetarians aren't doing it to start an argument.

Cygnus X-1

thesoapster said:
When you approach any discussion/argument with that point of view you're going to have a hard time having any discussion at all. Just sayin'.

Yeah, you're probably right. This is one of the few decision of my life I refuse to discuss. I just don't understand why people don't reach the same conclusions I did and thus at some point some years ago, I stopped talking about it.

I'm disappointed. Strongly disappointed and angry as hell, because I love animals and I respect them as life beings. I couldn't harm them even I wanted to. At the same time, I despise people who do not show mercy toward them so much.

Bah. Sorry for the rant guys. Better return to work now.

ChocolateCupcakes said:
He's trying to not start a fight yet you accuse him of propaganda?

The main point of this thread is to share ideas and give advice. No one is trying to shove broccoli down your throat.

If that's the point, there is no reason to include the extremist propaganda at all.

If discussion on a subject is not welcome, why should one post only one side of it?

I like vegetarian recipes, so I welcome this thread. I'm a foodie, and I think meat eaters like me (I eat meat in moderation) like to have interesting vegetable, grain, and legume dishes too, even if we don't use them as our main course all the time.

If that's all this thread is, then there's no need for any of this bullshit that wreaks of an agenda.

Jackson50

AdventureRacing said:
This is something i could really use help with. I regularly cook for my family (even when its just my immediate family thats 8 people).

Im looking for quality recipes to serve that many people that don't have any or much meat (it can get quite expensive).

It doesn't have to be one big meal, just some food which can prepared in a reasonable amount of time.

Most of the time i stick with something like spaghetti bol, fried rice or a stir fry (i can already do a type of stir fry and fried rice without meat so thats a start). Im hoping to find some more recipes they like that are healthy without being too expensive.

Even though i know meat in and of itself isn't unhealthy my family eats way too much meat (some of them will have it for every meal where possible, or the entire meal consisting of meat).
You must examine Ethiopian cuisine. It is perfect for family meals. And even if you cannot secure injera, you can substitute pita or even tortillas. I posted a link to a mesir wat recipe on the preceding page. Of course, this is presuming they enjoy beans/legumes. I used to serve my family a large pot of yellow split peas, lima beans, or another bean/legume with turmeric, coriander, and other spices. They found it delicious. And dry beans are ridiculously cheap.

I was a vegetarian who tried to stick to non-corporate organic food for several years. Never again:

--I ate well but still felt tired all the time.

--I'm not affluent enough to keep up the lifestyle. That shit is expensive. Not sure what it's like nowadays, but I could get almost twice the groceries from a regular grocery store vs. a local natural food store. I think you can eat vegetarian foods cheaply, but once you go for organic and natural stuff, you're buying in a market targeted towards the wealthy. I was trying to live as sustainably as possible, but I got priced out of my beliefs when I noticed I was quickly going broke.

--Organic food is a lie. I was vegetarian, but it was more about trying to make the world a better place, with eating healthily being a nice benefit. So I wanted to go all the way and eat organic too. If you subscribe to the idea that you should live in a way that everyone else could live and make the world a better place, well, organic agriculture is not sustainable. It's simple math-- there isn't enough land in the world to support the world on organic food whether it's vegetables or organically fed, free range animals. Also, the word is lost in a sea of technicalities--not all organic food is equal. Some might be grown locally on a small farm, some might come from mega farms that just barely scrape by on technicalities to call their food "organic." Not to mention that organic food isn't proven to be healthier for you in any way.

--I surrounded myself with people/activists doing the same thing and subsequently ditched the crowd when every meal turned into a dick measuring contest about who could be more exotic/organic than thou. There was one guy who lived in my house who wasn't into all that and he was fucking hilarious---he cooked a pound of oscar meyer bacon one day and pretty much exposed all the people I was living with. They were talking about kicking him out. Some of the girls were very confrontational and in his face about it, knowing he wouldn't hit back. :\

--I always had to make exceptions when I'd meet new people and go their place for food. I figured out pretty quickly that a fast way to earn someone's skepticism about your personality is to turn down their food by saying "no thanks, I'm a vegetarian." So I'd compromise and have some chicken, or whatever the least "meaty" dish was. You might think the problem is with the host, but it's not. I've had it happen at my place. Someone new comes over, they reject your food, they get attention from everyone, their friends start brainstorming on where to get food for their friend--it throws a wrench into things and makes the host feel like an ass.

--buffalo wings

Pristine_Condition said:
If that's the point, there is no reason to include the extremist propaganda at all.

If discussion on a subject is not welcome, why should one post only one side of it?

I like vegetarian recipes, so I welcome this thread. I'm a foodie, and I think meat eaters like me (I eat meat in moderation) like to have interesting vegetable, grain, and legume dishes too, even if we don't use them as our main course all the time.

If that's all this thread is, then there's no need for any of this bullshit that wreaks of an agenda.

Because if someone starts to discuss the other side it usually ends in disaster like the other thread even though it was acknowledged that it was propaganda. That thread turned to shit pretty quickly.

I understand what you are saying though and to a certain degree I agree.

Ryuukan

For those with children, a tasty snack that my own son loves is ajitsuke-nori. He was allergic to wheat, eggs, and dairy until around 2 years old and would have eczema breakouts from eating them, so we had to explore various healthy options in addition to meats.

SolKane said:
I don't go to Gaming Age. But your chick magnet schtick is wearing thin. Can't you relegate it to your joke threads?

'Chick magnet schtick'? Whatever man.

First off, I don't make joke threads. And second of all, I'm honest about my successes as well as my failures with women. Just last week in the girl-AGE thread I posted about being friendzoned by a girl, and asking another one out who flat-out turned me down.

Not sure why it bothers you so much...maybe something goin' on with your own life?

But on topic, some of those recipes look great. Can't wait to try 'em out!

Jackson50

Smision said:
I was a vegetarian who tried to stick to non-corporate organic food for several years.
I have never been convinved of the need to purchase organic; however, I purchase local produce when possible and feasible. Exploring the fresh produce at the farmer's market is always enjoyable.

Jackson50 said:
I have never been convinved of the need to purchase organic; however, I purchase local produce when possible and feasible. Exploring the fresh produce at the farmer's market is always enjoyable.

yes, farmer's markets are great!

and as a caveat to my post, i'm not trying to convince people to not be vegetarian. Just relaying my own experiences/failures with it. Unfortunately, I'm in too deep to go back because I've had korean fried chicken since.

Ryuukan

Another favorite of mine (also asian, cause they've been doing it longer)

250px-Zhaliang.jpg

Zhaliang is basically a fried dough fritter wrapped in a rice noodle.

I would not recommend making these at home, leave it to the pros. Unless the place is vegetarian, it is likely that shrimp eggs may be sprinkled onto them, and they are often served with hoison sauce containing oysters. Sesame paste is commonly served as well, so just ask for no shrimp.

Pristine_Condition said:

i posted them for the sake of completion and that interested people can watch them. and i stated clearly that they are biased (besides our daily bread, which i recommend).
of course there is discussion allowed in this topic, but i dont want this to become a topic like the mess the last one was, we had those kind of discussions already.

still, feel free to tell us your opinion on vegetarian lifestyle. it would be nice if you do not reference the validity of those movies.

btw:

A few days ago I made cauliflower-cheese medaillons. something like this:

thumb_3410.jpg

i tried different methods. cutting the cauliflower toger in pieces, to puree it etc. i think it worked best wen i pureed it together with the cheese and used the compund to form the medaillons and coated that with breadcrumbs.
pretty tasty, i recommend it

Jackson50

Smision said:
yes, farmer's markets are great!
It is my favorite pastime in the summer/autumn. And I also enjoy frequenting the myriad roadside produce stands in my town. There is such a variety of produce; cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, rhubarb, etc.

I was a strict vegetarian for over a decade, but recently started eating a little meat for various reasons.

#1. I got sick of not eating what regular local people eat when traveling.

#2. I got curious about foods I'd never tried before going veg.

#3. I hated the way the strict diet forced me to not share meals with family/friends, creating the impression that I was aloof or above them. Food is a social experience.

I still cook vegetarian at home (and some seafood), eating red meat only occasionally. At the time I became a veg, I weighed 50 pounds more and had the diet (and self control) of a child. Burgers, pizza, tacos. The challenge of diet regulation is an awesome teacher of self-discipline.

Anyway, I lost half the weight early on, just from the lack of fast food options. I had to learn to cook for myself. The other half I lost after I started eating meat again, when I got serious about calorie counting and exercise.

Also, as a serious home cook, these are the only strictly vegetarian cookbooks I continue to use (mostly, I cook veg recipes out of general books):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0679765883/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0609601180/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0688049958/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0060171472/?tag=neogaf0e-20

(not strictly veg, but very awesome).

Politically, I think the world would be better off if everyone just cut down on meat, and I've always found the extreme points of view of hardcore vegetarian/vegans to be a real turnoff for regular people. If you have a bumper stick on your car about being a vegetarian, you're not helping anyone but yourself.

thirty

Banned
my story-

as i've gotten older i've become sensitive to msg, become lactose intolerate, and my body is simply craving less and less red meat. all these things simply forced me to be more aware of what i eat. i still love red meat but find that my body will only crave it once or twice a month. a large reason is that i've implemented protein shakes into my diet. i've taken up indoor cycling and after a great workout, i have a protein shake to help with recovery. years ago, after a workout, my body would scream for a greasy cheeseburger.

so my diet is primarily vegetarian but i do love my eggs, i have chicken or fish a couple times a week, and red meat 1-2 times a month.

my recipe contribution-

vegetarian chile, i make a giant pot of it, then tupperware it and will eat it for lunch all week. it's that good.

2 cans of black beans
2 cans of pinto beans
2 cans of kidney beans
1 can of corn
2 cans of tomato paste
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of veggie stock
1 bag of baby zucchini chopped
1 container of mushrooms
1 onion
5 cloves of garlic chopped
1 package of soyrizo
quarter cup of olive oil

seasonings, i didn't measure but i think it was about 1 teaspoon of each
black pepper
red pepper flakes
chili powder
your fave hot sauce
salt
cumin
cinnamon
italian seasonings
a few bay leaves

cooking, in the bottom of the pot pour the olive oil in and heat to medium. saute in the chili flakes, garlic, onions, and mushrooms. once the onions become clear, turn to high heat and add in all the ingredients (except for the corn and zucchini). be sure to drain out the canned veggies as that brine may have added salt that may throw off your seasonings. after you bring to a boil, turn the heat to the lowest setting and simmer for 45 mins, then add in the corn and zucchini and simmer for another 15 mins. be sure you stir the pot a few times during the simmer process. then, the most important part, just let your chili sit for 6+ hours or so.

the star of my recipe is soyrizo, as it (along with the mushrooms) will fool anyone into thinking there's meat in the chili. i love soyrizo, it's great with eggs and can be found in most markets. i buy it from trader joe's as it's only $2.

MoFo_18_soyrizo1.jpg

SolKane

Whoompthereitis said:
'Chick magnet schtick'? Whatever man.

First off, I don't make joke threads. And second of all, I'm honest about my successes as well as my failures with women. Just last week in the girl-AGE thread I posted about being friendzoned by a girl, and asking another one out who flat-out turned me down.

Not sure why it bothers you so much...maybe something goin' on with your own life?

But on topic, some of those recipes look great. Can't wait to try 'em out!

typical chazz

SolKane said:
typical chazz

Yeah, you've got me all figured out, don't you? Nice job. You've successfully judged and dismissed a stranger on the internet. Enjoy that high and mighty feeling, you've earned it.

This thread makes me happy, thanks for the bravery OP and the dedication to make such an OT. Just had to say, before joining any discussion or what so ever.

Smision said:
--Organic food is a lie. I was vegetarian, but it was more about trying to make the world a better place, with eating healthily being a nice benefit. So I wanted to go all the way and eat organic too. If you subscribe to the idea that you should live in a way that everyone else could live and make the world a better place, well, organic agriculture is not sustainable. It's simple math-- there isn't enough land in the world to support the world on organic food whether it's vegetables or organically fed, free range animals. Also, the word is lost in a sea of technicalities--not all organic food is equal. Some might be grown locally on a small farm, some might come from mega farms that just barely scrape by on technicalities to call their food "organic." Not to mention that organic food isn't proven to be healthier for you in any way.

You raise some good points, but in defense of organic food. The practice tend to be more humane. When I say humane I mean for those working. It helps a lot that the workers aren't surrounded by the heavy pesticides as used in conventional farming (banana, cotton industry etc..). We consumers might tolerate getting traces here and there, however they are the ones working daily in these chemicals. People die and get very wounded/sick from this industry. Not saying that organic means automatically healthy working conditions, but it makes a difference if they don't resort to these methods with dangerous pesticides/chemicals.

Local food is all the way as long as it is bio diverse, recycle compost, and has minimal use of whatever chemicals forced upon the farming methods. It is unfortunately where I live easier to get organic than local (short food). However personally I do believe more in organic methods than conventional industry if that is one of the few choices.

Had a vegan meal recently out at a nice restaurant. It was a great stir fry with amazing veggies, perfectly seasoned, with tofu on a bed of whole grain rice. Delicious.

The only part I didn't like was the miso gravy they had put on the rice. The taste wasn't really doin' it for me.

What are some good vegan 'sauces' for dishes such as this?

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but I love any sort of cooking - every now and then I don't feel like making a steak or something so I'll just get some veggies together and create something.

I'll definitely be following the thread hoping for some good recipes. :)

DJ_Lae

I've gradually become a fan of the ground beef substitute you can buy in certain places - in terms of taste it's not really a substitute on its own (it's vile for tacos or anything where meat is supposed to be the star attraction), but when it's on sale it's cheaper than beef and in some cases lends a lighter taste that's welcome for a change.

I find it particularly suitable for lasagna, spaghetti sauce, and chili. I even managed to foist some of it off in a lasagna with relatives, and not one person noticed it wasn't beef until my girlfriend felt the need to pipe up. As soon as she said something, my uncle immediately said "I knew it!" and then refused to get a second piece. His loss, I guess.

I'll also eat tofu or tempeh or simple grain/legume meals once in a while. I'm not vegetarian, but I like having a varied diet and excluding those options simply because I'm supposed to be a ravenous carnivore seems silly.

I'll post recipes for my chili/spaghetti sauce (the lasagna simply uses it as a base) but I don't really have a recipe and I don't measure much, so I'm guessing spice quantities.

Spaghetti sauce

1 onion, chopped
A couple of garlic cloves, or powder (I prefer powder as I usually use a slow-cooker and fresh garlic seems to be destroyed by long heat, in which case add it later)
1 green pepper, chopped (optional, though I like the bitterness it adds)
1 can diced tomatoes (28oz, the big ones)
1 can tomato paste
1 package veggie ground round (Italian, if available)
2 tsp oregano
2 tbsp yellow mustard
1/4 tsp chili powder
Salt/pepper to taste

Don't think it really needs directions, but saute the onion and pepper in a bit of oil of your choosing, then stir in everything else and simmer on low for half an hour to an hour, or dump it in a slow cooker for 4/8 hours. I also tend to skip the mustard if I'm using it for lasagna, with the remainder of the lasagna containing cottage cheese, grated mozza, and egg, and spinach if I have a frozen block thawed or some fresh stuff chopped and microwaved for a brief while (though I'd rather use fresh spinach for salad).

It's a thick sauce so it pairs better with chunkier pasta, like rotini or penne. Though I'll still eat it with spaghetti.

Chili:

1 onion, chopped
1 or 2 peppers, chopped (I like yellow and red, though it doesn't really matter)
1 can diced tomatoes (28oz)
1 can tomato sauce (12oz? Not sure)
1 package veggie ground round (Mexican or Chili, if available)
2 tsp cumin
2 tbsp chili powder (more or less, depending on the heat of your chili powder and your preference, I tend to make it mild and then heat my own up with cayenne)
1 can beans (18oz? I use kidney or black, though it doesn't really matter unless you try and dump garbanzo beans in there or something equally odd)
1/2 to 1 cup frozen corn (optional, though I like it if I slow-cook the chili as it tends to need the texture)
Salt/pepper

Again I prefer the slow-cooker, as it allows me to be lazy and all I have to do is saute the onions and pepper in oil in the morning and then just pile everything in. And when I get home, the entire apartment (and hall) smells like chili.

Alternatively, I suppose you could also use some rehydrated textured vegetable protein (texture of that is just weird, though), or just add more beans in place of the meat substitute. I'd also love to try the soy chorizo that thirty posted above, it's not available up here and I'm sure if it was it would cost $6+ for a package.

Ryuukan

Whoompthereitis said:
Had a vegan meal recently out at a nice restaurant. It was a great stir fry with amazing veggies, perfectly seasoned, with tofu on a bed of whole grain rice. Delicious.

The only part I didn't like was the miso gravy they had put on the rice. The taste wasn't really doin' it for me.

What are some good vegan 'sauces' for dishes such as this?

Try Lee Kum Kee vegetarian sauces.

Pristine_Condition said:
Oh boo hoo, you're so fucking oppressed. How about clicking on one of the thousands of other threads here instead?

I've never seen a vegetarian thread on NeoGAF that doesn't get ruined by being trolled to hell with countless pics of bacon and a bunch of posts about how great meat is. I'm glad there are some ground rules in a veg thread for once.

Some silly lofty philosophical questions for the vegetarians & vegans:

1) Vegetarianism/veganism seems to be mostly, though not entirely, founded on the notion that killing a sentient being (animal) to take in its life energy for one's own is more morally reprehensible than killing a non-sentient being (plant) to take in its life energy for one's own. Do you acknowledge that is notion is entirely a self-serving, self-important one? I believe that we only care more about sentient beings because it's easier for us to empathize with them. Actually if you think about it, plants are the most morally-pristine of all living beings. Carnivores/Omnivores kill and eat sentient beings, Herbivores kill and eat non-sentient beings, and plants live on energy from sources that aren't already living.

2) This one if even more out there and is pretty unrealistic, so you don't have to answer it, but bonus points if you do! If there were some sort of global effort to use factory farming, including not-torture levels of inhumane treatment but still not the ideal conditions for farm animals, that was guaranteed to give every starving person on the planet a meal a day, would you support this cause?

I love vegetarian food and have reduced my meat intake drastically in the past several years. This is the sort of stuff I would ask even if I were to go full-on vegetarian. If any of you find it horribly offensive I can remove it.

HappyBivouac said:

1) Vegetarianism/veganism seems to be mostly, though not entirely, founded on the notion that killing a sentient being (animal) to take in its life energy for one's own is more morally reprehensible than killing a non-sentient being (plant) to take in its life energy for one's own. Do you acknowledge that is notion is entirely a self-serving, self-important one? I believe that we only care more about sentient beings because it's easier for us to empathize with them.

2) This one if even more out there and is pretty unrealistic, so you don't have to answer it, but bonus points if you do! If there were some sort of global effort to use factory farming, including not-torture levels of inhumane treatment but still not the ideal conditions for farm animals, that was guaranteed to give every starving person on the planet a meal a day, would you support this cause?

I love vegetarian food and have reduced my meat intake drastically in the past several years. This is the sort of stuff I would ask even if I were to go full-on vegetarian. If any of you find it horribly offensive I can remove it.

1. There is kind of an assumed correlation between biological complexity and the possibilities of experience. We care more about animals than we do about plants, and more about plants than we do about rocks. It's not self-serving, and there are right and wrong answers.

2. I have a hard time answering this one. I am most definitely opposed to factory farming and inhumane conditions for animals raised to feed a wealthy, 'first-world' nation of people who have a huge range of food options. I am not so sure that I would be opposed to factory farming to feed people who have no choice and would starve to death otherwise. Let's face it, having the option of being vegan is a privilege. It's hard to say.

scotcheggz

HappyBivouac said:

1) Vegetarianism/veganism seems to be mostly, though not entirely, founded on the notion that killing a sentient being (animal) to take in its life energy for one's own is more morally reprehensible than killing a non-sentient being (plant) to take in its life energy for one's own. Do you acknowledge that is notion is entirely a self-serving, self-important one? I believe that we only care more about sentient beings because it's easier for us to empathize with them. Actually if you think about it, plants are the most morally-pristine of all living beings. Carnivores/Omnivores kill and eat sentient beings, Herbivores kill and eat non-sentient beings, and plants live on energy from sources that aren't already living.

Who wouldn't support your hypothetical in the second question? I don't eat meat because for me personally, I can't justify something being killed so I can have something nice to eat and feel good for 30 minutes. However, of course there is always going to be people eating meat everywhere, so if there was a way to end any cruelty in the process, then that would be great.

I'm going to ask my girlfriend to type up how she makes vegetarian sushi a bit later. I know the gist of what goes into it, but she makes her own mirin/rice vinegar so I can get her to explain how that goes too. I'm pretty sure it should suit vegans too, but not positive until I speak to her after she finishes work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom