• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanillaware is awesome

SinDelta

Their games have a handle for myth and adventure I have rarely seen. One of the best if not the best developer I have only sorta paid attention to, until I started actually delving into their games and seeing what I have been missing out.

And good god are their games insane in their quality.

Odin's Sphere Leifthrasir - Norse Myth meets Shakespeare
Dragon's Crown Pro - Like playing dungeons and dragons in a renaissance art style EDIT - Apparently not? Still amazing on the eye.

Very much hoping these two get their own remasters-
Grimgrimoire - Not a big success, unfortunate as it was actually planned to have a sequel. I was reading this actually inspired mechanics that were later used in 13 Sentinels.
Muramasa the Demon Blade - EDIT - Already remastered, but base game is stuck on Wii while complete version with all DLC is stuck on the Vita.

A remaster like Pro or Leifthrasir would be one of my most anticipated games easily.

...And have yet to play 13 Sentinels as Odin Sphere and Dragons Crown are both absolutely amazing.

Last edited:

SinDelta

They absolutely are and I wish they would get the recognition they deserve but I'm pretty sure 13 Sentinels is going to be completely ignored in GOTY shows.
Odin's Sphere Leifthrasir is very dated with its level design, ie corridors. You can see how Vanillaware moved onto the very visually distinct dungeons in Dragon's Crown, and the A/B routes. Visual and sound wise, Odin Sphere and Dragons Crown are both in a different league from a lot of games. The Odin Sphere theme opening the main menu, and the victory theme are for lack of a better word, haunting.

I am amazed at how the story in Odins Sphere intersects between different characters. Odins Sphere is the reverse of Dragons Crown, where lore is gradually expanded through doing New Game+ and the massive amount of side quests. Only sizeable playable character storylines are at the end.

Also food in Odin's Sphere- Looks amazing, huge menus, critical in leveling up, gaining passive skills, even expands on the lore. Only other game I can think of that incorporates food as well would be Breath of the Wild.

One more thing - Both Odin's Sphere Leifthrasir and Dragons Crown Pro are the smallest size games on my playstation, yet they both have huge amounts of quality content. Food for thought.

Last edited:

SinDelta

Oh man, wait until you play with 13 Sentinels!!!
Another cool way that Odins Sphere does things -the codex (something I think all fantasy and sci-fi games worth the name should have) is read by browsing a library, and gaining lore and recipes physically adds more stuff to the shelving. Even playing the game is presented as reading a book on a character. Very nice, actually really amazing framework.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Another cool way that Odins Sphere does things -the codex (something I think all fantasy and sci-fi games worth the name should have) is read by browsing a library, and gaining lore and recipes physically adds more stuff to the shelving. Even playing the game is presented as reading a book on a character. Very nice, actually really amazing framework.
13%20Sentinels%20Aegis%20Rim%20Three%20Modes%20Early.JPG

what 13 Sentinels has its called "Analysis". As the game progress the story, it get updated about its lore and characters and even about small things like food.
v2-f2f02750ae704c327878980dac711e4f_1440w.jpg

Last edited:

Fbh

Yeah they are really good. Looking forward to playing 13 Sentinels eventually when it's cheaper. (with Covid affecting my business I'm just not buying $60 games right now)

It's just a shame that in working so closely with Atlus (at least as far as publishing goes) they are affected by the same unwillingness to bring their games to more platforms.

With other rather niche Japanese franchises like YS, Trails, Disgaea, Yakuza, EDF, etc having found decent audiences on places like Switch and PC it's a shame Atlus is still so set on releasing a lot of their (own or published) games on a single platform.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Their games have a handle for myth and adventure I have rarely seen. One of the best if not the best developer I have only sorta paid attention to, until I started actually delving into their games and seeing what I have been missing out.

And good god are their games insane in their quality.

Odin's Sphere Leifthrasir - Norse Myth meets Shakespeare
Dragon's Crown Pro - Like playing dungeons and dragons in a renaissance art style

Very much hoping these two get their own remasters-
Grimgrimoire - Not a big success, unfortunate as it was actually planned to have a sequel. I was reading this actually inspired mechanics that were later used in 13 Sentinels.
Muramasa the Demon Blade - Already remastered, but stuck on Wii/Vita with the complete version with all DLC not available outside Japan? A remaster like Pro or Leifthrasir would be one of my most anticipated games easily.

...And have yet to play 13 Sentinels as Odin Sphere and Dragons Crown are both absolutely amazing.
Now they need a game with Mexican mythology

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
They absolutely are and I wish they would get the recognition they deserve but I'm pretty sure 13 Sentinels is going to be completely ignored in GOTY shows.
And saddly the contender of GOTY will be a crap like Call of duy or Star wars Squadrons

Danjin44

And saddly the contender of GOTY will be a crap like Call of duy or Star wars Squadrons
There is not much we can do, for most part, GOTY shows are popularity contest and judges will choose which games will win based on what they played and I can guarantee you, none of the judges have played 13 Sentinels.

lachesis

Vanillaware's art style, which many apploud - at first felt rather murky and mushy to my taste... but it eventually really grew on me to love them.

But the true shining of their games are the attention to the details, and how rounded up and complete their games are in each installments.
I wish for a new Vanillaware games every year or two - but alas, they are smaller company and certainly dead set on keep the quality up... so I will quietly wait for their next game, whatever it maybe!

A true "treat" for my palette... and makes me feel again "why" I love video games. A treat like them deserves to take their time, but hopefully not tooooooo long this time.

Danjin44

Yes, but 13 sentinels have better quality than a game like Just dance for example.
You comparing two games with vastly different audience, I love 13 Sentinels but it would make a crappy party game to play with friends, which is what Just Dance is made for.

yes. LOVE their output. was a huge fan ever since the first Odin Sphere release. and I LOVE Muramasa on the VITA. hell, I even got another copy of the game after I lose my VITA so I can play it on the PSTV. I also love Dragon's Crown, even thou I never get around to playing with ppl online. and of course, their food in game is always one of the best.

I still need to get 13 Sentinels but even thou it's not really my usual genre of game, I will give it a try for sure.

When is the GAF Dragon's Crown playthrough?

I'm down for it for sure. but as far as I remember, my characters were not all that high level.

Last edited:

Aidah

I've only played Dragon's Crown, but you better believe I'm going to go through all the rest.

I've never cared as much about unlocking pieces of art than in Dragon's Crown. The game makes me jizz my pants and it's not just because of sorceress. It's an absolute audiovisual feast.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I’m currently playing through 13 Sentinels now doing about an “episode” or two per night and it’s fucking fantastic. One of the better “What the fuck is going on?” time travel stories I’ve experienced in years and the amalgamation of game styles within it work really well. I never thought I’d find myself balls deep in a visual novel/point n click/tower defense hybrid.

Muramasa is still my fav Vanillaware title hands down and I’d kill to have it on newer consoles. Odin Sphere was amazeballs too. Dragon’s Crown is cool but it never gripped me like the others 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sentenza

I tried Odin's Sphere, Muramasa and Dragon's Crown (but finished only the second one).
I noticed a common trend: they are all as pretty as incredibly grindy, boring and repetitive on the long term.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I only played dragon's crown and it was pretty good yeah.

also, it has arguably one of the thickest ass in gaming history

3803e1bbb574ba423dd92b8d9d8bbd58.jpg

I know people remember more the female mage from that game from obvious reasons :lollipop_squinting:

Saber

Gold Member
Dragon Crown is perhaps the most beatiful and artistic well crafterd game ever. The draw is just superb and playing it feel as if we're playing D&D, whitch only adds the fruit in the cake.

I still play this game quite frequently. We need Vanillaware nowadays to show people and devs how beautiful games can be if you trully put your love into it and can be considered a form of art.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
If you liked GrimGrimoire you prob have a Harry Potter fanfic page somewhere.

I’m gonna just have to agree with you here.
I liked Dragons crown so much I bought a Tiki fairy 1 scale figure.
I really want the new Odin Sphere ps4 version but can’t bring myself to pay the asking price.

Reactions: Isa

Pejo

One of the rare developers that I have full confidence in buying their games sight unseen. It's like seeing the old Squaresoft (not Square Enix) logo on a box and being like "yep this game is gonna be great". Dragon's Crown, Muramasa, and Leifthrasir are near perfect games in my eyes. I still haven't played my copy of 13 Sentinels, but I will be soon. I wish so badly that they'd release their full back catalog on PC, just so I could play them whenever I want instead of having to dig out my Vita or whatever.

manfestival

Was playing some Dragons Crown this weekend. I want to try to finish it soon. I really enjoy the game but I feel slightly stuck. I have always wanted to get into the rest of the Vanillaware games since their artwork is always top notch.

Reactions: Isa

reptilex

Banned
Which brings me to the question: who here has played the localised version of 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim and how is it?

Paltheos

Muramasa the Demon Blade - Already remastered, but stuck on Wii/Vita with the complete version with all DLC not available outside Japan? A remaster like Pro or Leifthrasir would be one of my most anticipated games easily.

This is untrue.

Although maybe you meant a physical release of the game containing all the DLC for which this statement... is true? AFAIK?

Top Bottom