• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2 not launching in 2021, HardSuit labs replaced as the lead developer

Doczu

Take that for "careful depiction of mental health when playing Malkavian".
Fuck you, fuck your game, can't wait to see it burn. This project went from super hype to crash and burn for me. Once the announcement hype died out all the red flags started being visible...

Last edited:
Wow. Guess Hardsuit Labs are a bunch of idiots, which makes their CEO Andy Kipling is lord king idiot.

Oh, Paradox, too, but we knew that.

On the news: In short: Thank god - I'll take any developer over Hardsuit.

And thank god I won't have to see any Mass Effect: Andromeda writing from Samantha Wallschlarger the "lead writer" they hired to replace Mitsoda after both companies fucked him over. Fuck you, Hardsuit. Fuck you, Paradox. Reap what you sow, shitheads!

Last edited:

Futaleufu

good-fuck-em.jpg

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
It has been clear to everyone that it has been in development hell since a long while.
This is only the "official" confirmation of what people have been saying for many months.

And I agree with the sentiment that they deserved everything after treating Avellone and Mitsoda the way that they did.

I'd hope we could get some more details about what actually happened over at Hardsuit, but... probably not.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Project looked like a hot mess for a long time. Still even if they replace whole studio as long as current writing remains it's still no buy.
I think it depends on how they'll approach this restart. They may decide to keep the script or at least parts of it, or try again from scratch. We'll see.

B-but bros i thought THQN was saving the industry!? Not gutting a beloved IP by handing it to some no name devs with a shoe string budget and not releasing a remaster of the original on all systems with some fixes to it's combat and bugs to build up interest and hype.

The truth is THQN is just Europe's EA, hoarding mid tier devs and sweeping up IPs and re-releasing old games with a shiner coat of paint at 40-50$ which is fine, but when they try doing sequals..... Wew lad, Darksiders 3 was decent but it’s a MAJOR step down from 2 in all departments and was clearly low budget, i feel like their budget for every game doesn't go beyond 15-20 Million which is sad when a 6 year old (as of 2018) 7th gen game like Darksiders 2 looks, sounds and plays better than it's sequal released and funded by THQN in late 2018!

Vae_Victis

Banned
Paradox cheaped out from the very start, they gave a big and awaited IP to a small mediocre studio, which means they planned to sell a mediocre game produced at a budget and make money via brand recognition. The studio however was even more incompetent and dumb than anticipated, and the whole thing crashed and burned, meticulously demolishing any faith from the fan base in the process.

I don't know what they plan to do now, but if for some miracle this game will not only come out but actually be any good, expect to wait until the end of 2022 and beyond, because right now what is there could be barely salvageable at all.

whyman

B-but bros i thought THQN was saving the industry!? Not gutting a beloved IP by handing it to some no name devs with a shoe string budget and not releasing a remaster of the original on all systems with some fixes to it's combat and bugs to build up interest and hype.

The truth is THQN is just Europe's EA, hoarding mid tier devs and sweeping up IPs and re-releasing old games with a shiner coat of paint at 40-50$ which is fine, but when they try doing sequals..... Wew lad, Darksiders 3 was decent but it’s a MAJOR step down from 2 in all departments and was clearly low budget, i feel like their budget for every game doesn't go beyond 15-20 Million which is sad when a 6 year old (as of 2018) 7th gen game like Darksiders 2 looks, sounds and plays better than it's sequal released and funded by THQN in late 2018!
This is Paradox... Not owned by Embracer group. Looking at the stocks it seems more people are as clueless as you.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Is it Paradox that's responsible for that, or Hardsuit?
Paradox made the announcement about not working with Avellone anymore.

I think you've mixed up the companies, buddy.

Last edited:
Vampire the Masquerade was lightning in a bottle. I even liked the first on- but good luck getting THAT to run on windows 10!

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Vampire the Masquerade was lightning in a bottle. I even liked the first on- but good luck getting THAT to run on windows 10!
I've replayed Bloodlines a few years ago when I still had Windows 7, but I don't think it should be a problem with Windows 10 if you have the GOG version.

MS to the rescue! They have all the original founders of Troika games + if they give the game to Arkane they will do a great job.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I remember thinking it was cool that this game was announced and due to release so fast. Then there was nothing but problems. How incompetent do you have to be to promise a game in 1 year only to have it require a new developer 2 years later?

Barakov

Definitely the right thing to do. With all those danger hairs involved this game would've turned out to be a shitshow. Still might, tbh.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Who? What?

Time for google-fu action! The studio is comprised of these guys?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_Studios

An open world dark fantasy RPG by the makers of... er... Super Bubble Pop.:messenger_fearful:

Segue/Story time:

I know its not a great game, but they had virtually nothing to do with SBP aside from providing the most basic of basic starting ideas, there was no game design to speak of. The game itself was built in about 3 days by my then house-mate, a very talented coder who came from the Amiga demo scene. However as at that point every level was basically the same (the idea that the layout bubble rows was generated by the audio equalizer never worked properly because of limitations on stack height) I knocked out 50 levels of actual designed levels in my spare time.

It was pretty fun and relaxed because there was pretty much zero oversight, and I thought the quick and dirty original PC build was actually turned out quite decent. I wasn't too fussed about the levels not being really tested much because the layouts were described in plain text - I literally edited them by hand in notepad using a simple scripting notation - and I figured users/the community could simply make their own.

I didn't stay long at RCL, and I believe all the console ports were done after both of us had left. The reissued PC version and the console builds had differently ordered, and entirely fucked up levels (which are encrypted), and removed my name from the credits because I was never officially on it. I was kinda miffed when a junior producer on it tried to claim that he designed it, especially as the game isn't fundamentally changed from the initial thing that Tom Kuhn put together with a bit of side-input from me.

Top Bottom