• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire Survivors |OT| There are some very good reasons to be afraid of the dark

Soodanim

Gold Member
Do you all have weapons/upgrades that you used to go for, but got bored of? The first time I got the guns upgraded I said "That's it, this is every single run now" but I haven't touched the guns in forever.

Yes. I would encourage you to get further into the game (not the run itself), as I was able to level 1,000 within 30 mins. Someone else here got even higher than that in the same timeframe.
That's bonkers. I don't think I've been over 200 in a 30, I'll have to look into some ultra-optimised runs. Having said that, I usually try to avoid the mega powerhouse weapons because they do all of the work, so if I went fully into the best weapons I'm sure I could get higher than I usually do.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Do you all have weapons/upgrades that you used to go for, but got bored of? The first time I got the guns upgraded I said "That's it, this is every single run now" but I haven't touched the guns in forever.

That's bonkers. I don't think I've been over 200 in a 30, I'll have to look into some ultra-optimised runs. Having said that, I usually try to avoid the mega powerhouse weapons because they do all of the work, so if I went fully into the best weapons I'm sure I could get higher than I usually do.
Sigma + 1 weapon run has been the best DPS I’ve found. I haven’t looked at any guides just found through experimenting. I’m almost certain there are are better builds out there or better pathing to get quicker levels.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Sigma + 1 weapon run has been the best DPS I’ve found. I haven’t looked at any guides just found through experimenting. I’m almost certain there are are better builds out there or better pathing to get quicker levels.
I looked at a couple videos after posting and saw people running with 1-3 weapons, something I hadn't experimented with before. When you see a Bone with Limit Break levels so high that it's bigger than the screen, it makes you question what you've been doing.

I always assumed anything less than 6 weapons was a challenge restriction, but it's almost the opposite. This opens up so much more to try in game.

The game that keep on giving.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I looked at a couple videos after posting and saw people running with 1-3 weapons, something I hadn't experimented with before. When you see a Bone with Limit Break levels so high that it's bigger than the screen, it makes you question what you've been doing.

I always assumed anything less than 6 weapons was a challenge restriction, but it's almost the opposite. This opens up so much more to try in game.

The game that keep on giving.
I have not seen the bone thing. I have had my projectiles get massive though. Arcanas really add some depth to the builds. Sigma will give you 5 total and 3 right at the beginning with each level. She is an OP machine.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I have not seen the bone thing. I have had my projectiles get massive though. Arcanas really add some depth to the builds. Sigma will give you 5 total and 3 right at the beginning with each level. She is an OP machine.
Yeah she earned her queen title for sure. I rarely use her, I've been staying away too much.

Watch from 24:00, it doesn't take long

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
When you unlock Sigma, you become death.
I just unlocked her, and used her for the first stage of the DLC that I bought today. Level 703 lmfao.

I also unlocked two characters at the same time because I both found a coffin, and then got a super candybox and picked the evolved form of one of the new weapons which apparently was the unlock condition for another character lol.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I just unlocked her, and used her for the first stage of the DLC that I bought today. Level 703 lmfao.

I also unlocked two characters at the same time because I both found a coffin, and then got a super candybox and picked the evolved form of one of the new weapons which apparently was the unlock condition for another character lol.
I tend to do one weapon runs with her & the arcana that boosts based on how many open spots are in your weapon slots. The only annoying part is banishing all the remaining weapons.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
You don't use seal?
That works on weapons?
Mind Reaction GIF

ikbalCO

Like hades, i was wrong about this game too.

Ive been playing it whole day today on mobile. Really addictive.

Finally reach level 55 in the second stage after 6 hours in.

Cant stop playing.

help me

ikbalCO

Guys,

Very ominous thing happened when i was playing a stage with the eyes. I was teleported to a corridor type of stage with every upgrade gone and an eye monster throwing shit at me. And then stage ended but i still went on, deaths surronding me but no damage taken. Screen appeared with an upgrade with no picture i believe it was yellow stone or something like that which was described as reveale the hidden things. I got it. Two green hand appeared. Clapped three twice while zooming the screed. And then warning screen with gibbirish languege and then title screen.

What was that?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Guys,

Very ominous thing happened when i was playing a stage with the eyes. I was teleported to a corridor type of stage with every upgrade gone and an eye monster throwing shit at me. And then stage ended but i still went on, deaths surronding me but no damage taken. Screen appeared with an upgrade with no picture i believe it was yellow stone or something like that which was described as reveale the hidden things. I got it. Two green hand appeared. Clapped three twice while zooming the screed. And then warning screen with gibbirish languege and then title screen.

What was that?
Eudaimonia Machine

Doomtrain

I checked out 20 Minutes Till Dawn because I wanted to see how other, similar games played. I enjoyed it a lot. It doesn’t have the sheer depth of content that Vampire Survivors has, but I think the core gameplay is more fun, and it’s more polished.

Has anyone made a 2D sidescroller version of this genre yet?

I don’t know if anyone else has been getting any issues with series X when farming gold. Its basically vicious hunger that’s the culprit, pulling that frame rate down to around 1-2 FPS before shitting its pants and all enemies disappear (at around the 34 min mark of hyper/hurry/inverse/endless/etc. on Moonglow). That’s with all graphics options minimised. It is a pain as chasing them golden eggs is oddly satisfying, even though I’ve no idea why I’m doing it any more.

DelireMan7

Installed it on my phone yesterday... It's gonna ruin my life xD So much fun and addicting. Controls are not optimal on phone but that will do :)

Question : The power ups you purchase are permanent buff ? Or it unlocks them to be pick up during level up ? I have the feeling some I bought didn't change anything.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Installed it on my phone yesterday... It's gonna ruin my life xD So much fun and addicting. Controls are not optimal on phone but that will do :)

Question : The power ups you purchase are permanent buff ? Or it unlocks them to be pick up during level up ? I have the feeling some I bought didn't change anything.
The power ups from the main menu are permanent. You can refund at any time with no penalty if you want to try different ones or have different builds/strategies in mind.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I made some real progress with this game. Beat Red Death, beat the boss of cappella magma, beat the bottom of Gallo Tower.

I haven't figured out how to unlock the stage after boss rush....the one with a sword in the picture.

DelireMan7

Ok so first run with evolved weapons et quite some power up (on stage 2). It's entertaining but I was unkillable from the 15 min mark to the 27 min mark. A bit boring.

Let's see the the other stages. The game is extremely good but might not be for me. At least as a long term game.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Are they updating the engine for this at all? I've given up, its too Chuggy McChug and buying eggs is a right old ding dong on a console without an autoclicker :/
Yes, it's in the works now.

Ok so first run with evolved weapons et quite some power up (on stage 2). It's entertaining but I was unkillable from the 15 min mark to the 27 min mark. A bit boring.

Let's see the the other stages. The game is extremely good but might not be for me. At least as a long term game.
Surviving to the 30 min mark is the first major challenge. The rest is built upon that.

DelireMan7

Surviving to the 30 min mark is the first major challenge. The rest is built upon that.
Yes I'll see.

I tried others stages and the challenge is higher so it's nice. I prefer when I struggle a bit and have to work to survive. When I become a God and vaporize everything on screen in few seconds, I don't enjoy it so much (I mean I enjoy it for 1 minute but after that...).

The evolution system of weapons is really nice. Will try different builds to unlock several of them. (playing without external info)

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yes I'll see.

I tried others stages and the challenge is higher so it's nice. I prefer when I struggle a bit and have to work to survive. When I become a God and vaporize everything on screen in few seconds, I don't enjoy it so much (I mean I enjoy it for 1 minute but after that...).

The evolution system of weapons is really nice. Will try different builds to unlock several of them. (playing without external info)
If you get stuck, just let me know and I can try to give some spoiler free guidance. It's pretty self-explanatory though. The additional challenges are still enjoyable because they will take you a bit out of your comfort zone.

Either way, keep us posted on your journey with the game!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Well that's good - hopefully sooner rather than later as I enjoyed my time with it so far, it just literally drops to sub 1FPS on a single weapon run... Maybe it would help if I turned the arcana break off as everything just grows so darn big with it on...
I get some drops on my Deck but nothing that low. I'm surprised the Series X is performing that badly.

I get some drops on my Deck but nothing that low. I'm surprised the Series X is performing that badly.
Yes that little box does struggle a wee bit unfortunately, although its only once I've evolved a weapon that it shits itself to death. The frame jumps make picking up chests/items nigh on impossible, and ultimately it crashes anyway as all enemy's disappear and you can no longer move. It happens around the 10K egg count, and when you take it higher you actually seem to farm a little less (presumably because of frame jumps). It is annoying buy hey ho - hopefully a new engine will be better...

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Here's how it runs for me . although it does improve from time to time where I get up to around 1FPS. I think evolved Gatti is largely to blame for this mind you...

Oh and excuse the sound of tinkling water, its just a cat fountain.

Holy shit that is terrible. If you've got a PC, pick it up there and play.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Oh thanks for that - be interested to find out how it runs (surely can't be as bad as the SX). If you don't have the time I'll give it a punt later on when I get back from work...
Just did a 30 min run w/ Sigma 1 weapon and it performed way better than on my Deck. 30-60fps the entire time. My wife has an M1 Mac and had no issues running it either apparently.

I think you can also transfer your save file over to Steam.

Just did a 30 min run w/ Sigma 1 weapon and it performed way better than on my Deck. 30-60fps the entire time. My wife has an M1 Mac and had no issues running it either apparently.

I think you can also transfer your save file over to Steam.
Oh thanks for the update - good to hear. Just bought a new M! mac mini which seems to be pretty quick, so that should work ok I imagine. I confess though I know nothing about steam :/ if I can find a way to import a save file from a game pass game onto steam though I'm all for it (and I'll be able sort an autoclicker out as well running it on a mac... kind of a no brainer then really if I can get it working).

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Oh thanks for the update - good to hear. Just bought a new M! mac mini which seems to be pretty quick, so that should work ok I imagine. I confess though I know nothing about steam :/ if I can find a way to import a save file from a game pass game onto steam though I'm all for it (and I'll be able sort an autoclicker out as well running it on a mac... kind of a no brainer then really if I can get it working).
Steam is my preferred platform. If you have any trouble making your way around it, just let me know. It's basically its own version of xbox marketplace for PC games. Imo it is the gold standard for how a storefront & library management should be. GOG is a DRM-free alternative, but VS is not on there just yet.

Here's a direct link to the VS page.

For PC & Mac, you can use websites like IsThereAnyDeal to find the cheapest storefront to buy games and just activate them on Steam. Just be mindful that some publishers, like Rockstar, do not provide Steam keys to these other storefronts.

If you get into it, I would also recommend Augmented Steam extension. It was originally developed by our own jshackles jshackles but he sold it to another dev. It's still rock solid for getting extra details on the steam store pages for various games.

Last edited:
Steam is my preferred platform. If you have any trouble making your way around it, just let me know. It's basically its own version of xbox marketplace for PC games. Imo it is the gold standard for how a storefront & library management should be. GOG is a DRM-free alternative, but VS is not on there just yet.

Here's a direct link to the VS page.

For PC & Mac, you can use websites like IsThereAnyDeal to find the cheapest storefront to buy games and just activate them on Steam. Just be mindful that some publishers, like Rockstar, do not provide Steam keys to these other storefronts.
[/URL]

If you get into it, I would also recommend Augmented Steam extension. It was originally developed by our own jshackles jshackles but he sold it to another dev. It's still rock solid for getting extra details on the steam store pages for various games.
[/URL]
Thanks for this - really useful info. Never really thought of checking out steam, always thought of it as PC-centric. It makes sense to give it go on games where the XSX pretends to be a VIC20. Just had a rummage around the googles though and I don't think you can import a game pass save file as its just nestling in the cloud... I could be mistaken (not inconceivable) - maybe I'll rummage a little deeper...

Soodanim

Gold Member
Thanks for this - really useful info. Never really thought of checking out steam, always thought of it as PC-centric. It makes sense to give it go on games where the XSX pretends to be a VIC20. Just had a rummage around the googles though and I don't think you can import a game pass save file as its just nestling in the cloud... I could be mistaken (not inconceivable) - maybe I'll rummage a little deeper...
If it helps, you could always help speed along some catching up by using cheats to unlock things. But be aware that I've seen warnings that it can break the natural unlocking process. I guess it causes some scripts to not run, so if a new level unlock is tied to a character unlock event but you cheated the character in, the unlock event never fires.

If it helps, you could always help speed along some catching up by using cheats to unlock things. But be aware that I've seen warnings that it can break the natural unlocking process. I guess it causes some scripts to not run, so if a new level unlock is tied to a character unlock event but you cheated the character in, the unlock event never fires.
Hmm... that's a good idea, however I think it would pain me too much to think about starting over even with some cheats If there is some magical way to import a save file from game pass I will rebuy it on the mac, otherwise I guess I'll just need to wait until they improve the engine I guess...

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Dunno how I missed this, but a new update came out ont he 9th:

Contains:
- 3 new achievements
- 1 new challenge stage
- 2 new relics to get a new PowerUp and something special

Quick content walkthrough:
- Reach Level 80 in Inverse Mad Forest: Unlocks Bat Country
- Find the Apoplexy relic at minute 09:00 in Bat Country: Unlocks Charm Power Up
- Find the Chaos Malachite relic at minute 18:00 in Bat Country: Unlocks morph ability for Mortaccio

Tweaks:
- Items not necessary for the Queen Sigma unlock have a yellowish background color in Collection
- If you have at least 1M gold, the Eggman appears in Moongolow
- The game should remember the skins you've been using for each character
- "spoopyseason" spell should permanently unlock new skins for Mortaccio, Yatta Cavallo, Bianca Ramba, and O'Sole Meeo
- Added a team member to the credits (hi everyone!)

Full spoilers at the link above.

Top Bottom