• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire Survivors |OT| There are some very good reasons to be afraid of the dark

Bwesh

I can't wait for you guys to play the dlc. There are very few games where you can really feel that just one more game thing. This is one of those.

Not a shill, I just enjoy the game too.

Bwesh

Actually 20% discount if you buy the bundle while already having the base game. even cheaper than breathing air.

1ttiMZL.png

MacReady13

I love the fact people clamor for the latest and greatest in graphics. Spending literally thousands to buy the greatest PC to play cutting edge games, and yet here comes this game that looks like an evolved NES game and turns out it is EASILY my game of the year. Purchased it as I heard good things about it on a podcast on the series X and damn, it eats up ALL of my gaming time!

You can take your God of War's (still enjoyed it) and your Elden Ring's (loved it), because for mine, this is by far the game of the year! So addictive. So well designed and most importantly, it is so much fun as you are actually allowed to PLAY BTHE GAME as opposed to watching cut scenes about a fucking boring story! Everything that a video game should be (even though some of us gaming today forget that).

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I love the fact people clamor for the latest and greatest in graphics. Spending literally thousands to buy the greatest PC to play cutting edge games, and yet here comes this game that looks like an evolved NES game and turns out it is EASILY my game of the year. Purchased it as I heard good things about it on a podcast on the series X and damn, it eats up ALL of my gaming time!

You can take your God of War's (still enjoyed it) and your Elden Ring's (loved it), because for mine, this is by far the game of the year! So addictive. So well designed and most importantly, it is so much fun as you are actually allowed to PLAY BTHE GAME as opposed to watching cut scenes about a fucking boring story! Everything that a video game should be (even though some of us gaming today forget that).
Amen brother.

Smokken

Banned
Am I missing something here? Played it now and then. Quickly maxed out all the passives, unlocked most of the evolved weapons/characters/some cards.
Pretty much every single match is the same: Max out your character up to around 15min, then stand completely still for another 15min with ZERO risk of dying waiting for the reaper to kill me in seconds. Yes, I know I can cheese him out in the library with specific setup....but is there anything beyond that? Seems like an awful waste of time to just stand around waiting for the boss half the time.
Sorta fun indie game, but I can't see the hype.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Am I missing something here? Played it now and then. Quickly maxed out all the passives, unlocked most of the evolved weapons/characters/some cards.
Pretty much every single match is the same: Max out your character up to around 15min, then stand completely still for another 15min with ZERO risk of dying waiting for the reaper to kill me in seconds. Yes, I know I can cheese him out in the library with specific setup....but is there anything beyond that? Seems like an awful waste of time to just stand around waiting for the boss half the time.
Enable hyper and hurray modes. Have you done the unlocks? There’s a lot of mechanics in the game that don’t open up until you get through unlocks.
Arcana’s should be your focus if not.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Weird, mine was $1.79.
Might have been a bug

9Iivltm.png

It was the game + DLC package, and it was marked down to $1.43 since I already owned the base game.

Smokken

Banned
Enable hyper and hurray modes. Have you done the unlocks? There’s a lot of mechanics in the game that don’t open up until you get through unlocks.
Arcana’s should be your focus if not.
Unlocked both, just made the wait somewhat faster. Still just standing around most of the time though, waiting for the boss. I suspect I need very specific weapons builds to kill the reaper, probably the lancer to stun him.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Unlocked both, just made the wait somewhat faster. Still just standing around most of the time though, waiting for the boss. I suspect I need very specific weapons builds to kill the reaper, probably the lancer to stun him.
You're on the right path in your thinking. If you're this far and it's not fun, I don't know if getting past the reaper will make it any more enjoyable for you. The numbers continue to go up exponentially. That to me is satisfying and does not get old.

G-Bus

Banned
I can't believe this game is just free on mobile. No ads. No IAP. Just... a great game. What a gift.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Was sitting here wondering if this will hit playstation and then I saw this.

Edit - now have use for my Chromebook haha. Much better with a keyboard.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yo, this DLC is :messenger_fire:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
My impressions on VS now that the game has been made available for android

ITEMS:
Holy books, santa water, and runetracer with their evos seem like the strongest weapons in the game

I like to get fire wand and magic wand because their passives (dmg inc and cooldown dec) seem good? is this the case? also the duplicator passive seems imba, so I level lightning bolt

CHARACTERS:
the projectile bonus characters seem OP, but their starting weapon don't seem very good. who has the best weapon between the skeleton, panda, and the dog?

unfortunately, now that i've unlocked nearly all the bonus stats, the game feels too easy now because of above build. do I just need to play Hyper/Hurry/Max out curse? Any other ways to make game more difficult?

Freeman76

I loved it but after 2 days felt i had seen everything it has to offer. Feel like im missing something too, the game is crack but its over once you unlocked all the stages

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
My impressions on VS now that the game has been made available for android

ITEMS:
Holy books, santa water, and runetracer with their evos seem like the strongest weapons in the game

I like to get fire wand and magic wand because their passives (dmg inc and cooldown dec) seem good? is this the case? also the duplicator passive seems imba, so I level lightning bolt

CHARACTERS:
the projectile bonus characters seem OP, but their starting weapon don't seem very good. who has the best weapon between the skeleton, panda, and the dog?

unfortunately, now that i've unlocked nearly all the bonus stats, the game feels too easy now because of above build. do I just need to play Hyper/Hurry/Max out curse? Any other ways to make game more difficult?
Yes, the goal shifts from surviving to 30 mins to various tasks on the Unlocks page. Getting to 30 mins in the game is about half of the loop. The rest is a massive power trip while achieving additional goals in those 30 mins. If that's not enough, the secrets tab would be the next thing or one worked on in parallel.

I loved it but after 2 days felt i had seen everything it has to offer. Feel like im missing something too, the game is crack but its over once you unlocked all the stages
How many of the unlocks have you done?

Last edited:

Musashipan

Can't stop playing, got all the achievements. Can't wait to get the DLC. Got my friend addicted to it too, lol. Any chances of coming to the Switch anytime soon?

If you already unlocked most of the stuff, that means you've spent many hours playing it for what amounted to a few bucks of money spent. That is the point.

Last edited:

jshackles

Just played a few rounds for the first time in months, did he make the game easier? It just seemed much easier than before.
Before the 1.0 patch was released, they were constantly tweaking things like enemy movement speed, weapon reach, etc. You might have played before the had everything ironed out. Some of the earlier versions of the game were particularly brutal.

Also, unlocking new characters and weapons will generally ease the difficulty. Right up to the point with the newest DLC where there is a character that is straight up invincible.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Man I got back on this sauce today- am I supposed to run the vanilla game on steam deck or the “GPU lag fix” version?

In any case I went back to the first three levels, massacred the fuck out of fools, found the map upgrade stuff and three coffins (all stuff I didn’t know about, haven’t looked at guides) and now that I kicked my in laws out I thirst for more

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Man I got back on this sauce today- am I supposed to run the vanilla game on steam deck or the “GPU lag fix” version?

In any case I went back to the first three levels, massacred the fuck out of fools, found the map upgrade stuff and three coffins (all stuff I didn’t know about, haven’t looked at guides) and now that I kicked my in laws out I thirst for more
I've been going with the vanilla on Deck. It's been a while since I tried the lag fix option but last I tried it didn't work well.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I completely forgot to check this thread when the DLC dropped, but I played the hell out of it. What a bargain this game continues to be.

What about him do you find difficult? Have you had better luck since?
Yeah I cleared everything. I had to drop my preferred weapons and items. Once I figured out what worked well with his dumb primary weapon, it was no problem. His weapon rocks once evolved but the default is terrible for my playstyle. I liked that it made me adapt though.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Yeah I cleared everything. I had to drop my preferred weapons and items. Once I figured out what worked well with his dumb primary weapon, it was no problem. His weapon rocks once evolved but the default is terrible for my playstyle. I liked that it made me adapt though.
I'm with you on that, I lean towards certain things but every once in a while I am forced or I force myself to do something different and I remember how viable certain things are. Even down to the Arcanas I pick, which by default are only from about 4 or 5 of them. #2/Twilight Requiem is one I'll never use again though, the knockback from the explosions ruined my DPS in one run. Did more harm than good for sure. It even applies to characters themselves, as my temptation is always to go for Cosmo with Divine Bloodline and kill as many enemies as possible with retaliation damage to get my HP up to 1000+.

I had trouble with Gav'Et-Oni for a while, because that bubble weapon is terrible when you're starting out and if you don't get something that complements it very early on you're in trouble. But it's definitely a character that rewards the tough times, the +4 projectiles are insane if you get the right build!

Vyse

Gold Member
Love this game. Started playing last week. Started a game and kept hammering away at the buttons. After a few games realized they didn’t do anything. :p

Just downloaded the dlc! This game is like crack.

Soodanim

Gold Member
on a 82 minute run ....

wondering at what point i will actually die
If you survive long enough to get past 30, I don't think you ever will die. Your health and damage output are high enough to keep you going for pretty much forever. If you want you can leave the game running on its own for a few hours and watch it get slower and slower, but the game's essentially over past 30 minutes as far as I've seen

reksveks

If you survive long enough to get past 30, I don't think you ever will die. Your health and damage output are high enough to keep you going for pretty much forever. If you want you can leave the game running on its own for a few hours and watch it get slower and slower, but the game's essentially over past 30 minutes as far as I've seen
yeah, have just left my mobile/xcloud session running

74OfEZv.jpg

If I quit, does the game save it as a run?

Will just leave the bad boy and watch a movie.

If you can not die. JUST QUIT THE GAME, it's exactly the same as dying.
People are tired of seeing your screenshots with 50 reapers and 500 minutes. Just quit that run it's the same as dying.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
If I quit, does the game save it as a run?
Yes. I would encourage you to get further into the game (not the run itself), as I was able to level 1,000 within 30 mins. Someone else here got even higher than that in the same timeframe.

Last edited:

reksveks

Yes. I would encourage you to get further into the game (not the run itself), as I was able to level 1,000 within 30 mins. Someone else here got even higher than that in the same timeframe.
only got 7 more unlocks to do (once i complete this run), will just leave it grinding for coins whilst I watch a movie. Won't need the coins i am sure.

Edit the Game got a bit weird so going to quit at the three hour mark.

Last edited:
Top Bottom