• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire Survivors |OT| There are some very good reasons to be afraid of the dark

Soodanim

Gold Member
The new engine is nice, but damage numbers are a bit buggy. But in general it performs rather well. The only part I don't like is that boss drop openings are slowed down, even when skipping. Even purple/card drops. I hope they get sped up again.

20230305165337-1.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played the new DLC for about 45 minutes. The price of this is still crazy, I think I paid $1.50 for it on Steam, and I'm definitely gonna get several hours out of it. It honestly feels like they should be charging 5x-10x as much.

Soodanim

Gold Member
20230414212634-1.jpg7

Got to love an impenetrable circle of death

I fell asleep playing last night. Decided to rest my head about 22 minutes in because I knew I would be safe (different run). I was.

I need to get back in and figure out the DLC's secrets. I got partway into something but I was too tired to explore further.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I got a bit of the way into the DLC myself. I like the new map. Mazes are a good evolution on the base mechanics. Something like 9 achievements remain.
There's some good stuff in this DLC, I've found some hidden shortcuts and paths.

Was it just me, or did something change after the first day? The water when I first played didn't look like water, more like some sort of blue ethereal dimension. Now it's water as it should be.

Also, there's a ridiculous farm if you haven't all found it yet

Second stage, far left, hidden area where you find a power ups or two. If you hug a long wall you'll find it.

Go to the hidden area, then to the bottom. Mini guardians spawn infinitely, and they drop golden eggs just like normal ones. I left an endless run on to get a 100000 kill run achievement done and came back to 2000 eggs.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
There's some good stuff in this DLC, I've found some hidden shortcuts and paths.

Was it just me, or did something change after the first day? The water when I first played didn't look like water, more like some sort of blue ethereal dimension. Now it's water as it should be.

Also, there's a ridiculous farm if you haven't all found it yet

Second stage, far left, hidden area where you find a power ups or two. If you hug a long wall you'll find it.

Go to the hidden area, then to the bottom. Mini guardians spawn infinitely, and they drop golden eggs just like normal ones. I left an endless run on to get a 100000 kill run achievement done and came back to 2000 eggs.
I found a hidden section with infinite spawning cookies. I did not find your secret though. I'm excited to go mess around some more on this map.

Last edited:
Picked it up on GamePass and was surprised how addictive it was. Went ahead and bought it on Steam so they get their well deserved monies 💰 Loved the Fright Night photo shop by the way. Top Notch, Maiden Voyage!

Last edited:

Kefa

Neo Member
Just bought the DLC because I always wanted to play as an archer. Turns out it's locked behind several challenges :/

Billbofet

Played several hours of the Switch cooperatively with my friend over the weekend. It was incredibly fun, almost like a new game entirely.
I bought the DLC as well - such a value purchase overall!!

DonF

I just downloaded this on android and i kinda see the appeal but its difficult to play with the touchscreen. I would enjoy it more with a traditional controller.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I just downloaded this on android and i kinda see the appeal but its difficult to play with the touchscreen. I would enjoy it more with a traditional controller.
Yeah I abandoned the mobile game pretty quickly. It's decent on keyboard but controller is the best imo. It's still only a few bucks on Steam.

T-Cake

I can't wait for the DLC tomorrow I'm always super excited anytime they release new content. I hope they have a ton of new achievements to work on and I hope they have some depth.

I think they said no achievements until the next one so people didn’t need to worry about losing their 100% completion for the rest of the year.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
From Steam 2023 wrap up...

I'd love to tell you everything about the next port, but the marketing team would kill me; I can just say it's the most obvious one, so for streaming services of course, codenamed "if it looks like mud and smells like mud, then it's Vampire Survivors"

Soodanim

Gold Member
Jumped back in with beta patch 1.9 and then Emergency Meeting, which I somehow missed. Been having some good fun learning the new content both free and paid, and it's always wild that I get brand new things in this game. Best value for money on the market

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hey guys 😊

Any general tips/advice for a beginner regarding what to prioritize when it comes to choosing weapons or defense/damage health etc?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Hey guys 😊

Any general tips/advice for a beginner regarding what to prioritize when it comes to choosing weapons or defense/damage health etc?
First thing's first: welcome to your new addiction.

Weapons
I like to try and get different weapon types so that you cut down on empty zones around you. I find a melee range weapon to be essential in the early game, whether that's the whip so you can position your attacks or the garlic (very good in early game) you'll want to get as good a start as possible to maximise levels when things are easy. If you only have ranged or randomised weapons, pinpointing enemies is a much more difficult task.

Then I like to add in ranged attacks to hit farther afield, which might be something like the throwing knife. Ranged weapons often get upgrades to pass through enemies, which means you're really going to start hitting the crowds as things get going.

I love the random weapons like lightning ring or holy water, too. They round things out.

Really there are naturally some weapons that excel over others and you'll see the damage differences if you have numbers on, but most weapons are good enough if not greatonce upgraded - including the basic ones. You'll figure that out soon enough as you unlock characters and try things.

Items
One of my favourites is the magic book for cooldown-. It effects near enough if not every weapon, and less time between attacks means more time doing damage. You really feel the difference here, so I class this as essential.

Spinach for damage+ is very nice to have, and can tip you over the balance from 2 hitting to 1 hitting enemies. Again, this affects everything.

I like to make sure I have armour in the early game as it helps in those manic moments where you're overwhelmed for a little while, and it can make all the difference. A bit of health regen never goes amiss.

Like weapons, there aren't many I wouldn't want at all so I'm happy to have most things. The thing you'll naturally learn is that some buffs pair better with certain weapons, so they will be natural fits if RNGesus blesses you with a good run. Projectile speed+ with throwing knife, for example. Area+, duration+ etc all have good pairs.

Which to choose
Sometimes that choice is made for you. It depends on what you've got and what you feel you need when you're given the choice. It might be a bad batch, but it might be 4 great choices. If you start with a weak weapon, you might need to prioritise getting something to help out. If you have a few weapons, spinach will help.

And now I'm going to play the game, because talking about it makes me want to play.

And if anyone thinks I'm missing out on obvious advice, I'm intentionally not giving things away. Experimentation is a natural part of VS and that's how you find your preferred play style. The only advice I will freely offer until asked is that you have a 6 weapon and 6 item slots, but that doesn't stop the fixed map drops from being picked up.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
First thing's first: welcome to your new addiction.

Weapons
I like to try and get different weapon types so that you cut down on empty zones around you. I find a melee range weapon to be essential in the early game, whether that's the whip so you can position your attacks or the garlic (very good in early game) you'll want to get as good a start as possible to maximise levels when things are easy. If you only have ranged or randomised weapons, pinpointing enemies is a much more difficult task.

Then I like to add in ranged attacks to hit farther afield, which might be something like the throwing knife. Ranged weapons often get upgrades to pass through enemies, which means you're really going to start hitting the crowds as things get going.

I love the random weapons like lightning ring or holy water, too. They round things out.

Really there are naturally some weapons that excel over others and you'll see the damage differences if you have numbers on, but most weapons are good enough if not greatonce upgraded - including the basic ones. You'll figure that out soon enough as you unlock characters and try things.

Items
One of my favourites is the magic book for cooldown-. It effects near enough if not every weapon, and less time between attacks means more time doing damage. You really feel the difference here, so I class this as essential.

Spinach for damage+ is very nice to have, and can tip you over the balance from 2 hitting to 1 hitting enemies. Again, this affects everything.

I like to make sure I have armour in the early game as it helps in those manic moments where you're overwhelmed for a little while, and it can make all the difference. A bit of health regen never goes amiss.

Like weapons, there aren't many I wouldn't want at all so I'm happy to have most things. The thing you'll naturally learn is that some buffs pair better with certain weapons, so they will be natural fits if RNGesus blesses you with a good run. Projectile speed+ with throwing knife, for example. Area+, duration+ etc all have good pairs.

Which to choose
Sometimes that choice is made for you. It depends on what you've got and what you feel you need when you're given the choice. It might be a bad batch, but it might be 4 great choices. If you start with a weak weapon, you might need to prioritise getting something to help out. If you have a few weapons, spinach will help.

And now I'm going to play the game, because talking about it makes me want to play.

And if anyone thinks I'm missing out on obvious advice, I'm intentionally not giving things away. Experimentation is a natural part of VS and that's how you find your preferred play style. The only advice I will freely offer until asked is that you have a 6 weapon and 6 item slots, but that doesn't stop the fixed map drops from being picked up.

Wow. Thank you for your elaborate and clear response/advice.

Some of what you said I more or less thought was the case so getting that conformation is nice.

And the rest makes total sense regarding the buffs etc. Really well explained.

Thanks for the effort Soodanim Soodanim 🔥

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah the pick up's you mentioned are already helping a lot! Btw whats the deal with the one bat with a blue outline?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Yeah the pick up's you mentioned are already helping a lot! Btw whats the deal with the one bat with a blue outline?
I'm glad! On certain waves (each wave being 1 minute) a special enemy such as the blue outline bat will spawn - a sort of mini-boss given their health. They tend to stand out so that you don't miss them. They often contain treasure chests when picked up, which contain a random upgrade for a weapon/item you have. If they don't, they will contain a red gem which is a good chunk of experience.

Top Bottom