• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve wants Game Pass on Steam

quazy

Neo Member
Actually I believe that it would make more sense for Epic to cooperate with Game Pass. It takes lower fees, has huge marketing budget for the platform (so also free marketing for GP) and IIRC no achievements, so MS could integrate their achievements easier. Overall it would be a win-win situation for both.

OcgDabb.jpg
hey where's that one pic of Gabe, you know, 'that' one? it's pretty neat-o!

There’s a lot of platform issues to consider. I think they’d still want to be able to push the “Xbox Network”, achievements, cross-save, etc. They also probably want things only on DirectX.

But maybe they can work these issues out with Steam. It’s probably worth a 10% cut or whatever to both parties.

BigBooper

There's already a thread for that discussion, but I'm pretty sure he means Valve products like DOTA2, CS:GO, HL:Alyx and certain Steam services (chat) integrated on Xbox.
An independent Steam Store on consoles is plain nuts.
It could be a combination of Valve games and Steam streaming.

I have a feeling if this happens it won't be what anyone wants.

This is what I forsee happening if it did:

1. Valve sells gamepass on the steam store.
2. Which ties in the games to having to launch with the microsoft store. Similar to how ubisoft games go to uplay and EA games go through origin.
3. Having it tied to Microsofts shitty store would mean no mod support. And still having to deal with bullshit install process.

It makes no sense to have steam games going through microsofts gamepass. Anyone who thinks that is how it will work using steam integration and workshop support, etc... you are in for a rude awakening. MS doesn't want its games modded. I wouldn't be surpised if TES6 no longer has mods and is a Microsoft store app.

And who is this? MSFT has a history of running programs (retail stores) in the red simply because they can afford to do it. They don't care about losing money upfront with gamepass because they are sitting on wild amounts of cash and it doesn't matter if it isn't profitable YET

Chukhopops

2. Which ties in the games to having to launch with the microsoft store. Similar to how ubisoft games go to uplay and EA games go through origin.
3. Having it tied to Microsofts shitty store would mean no mod support. And still having to deal with bullshit install process.

It makes no sense to have steam games going through microsofts gamepass. Anyone who thinks that is how it will work using steam integration and workshop support, etc... you are in for a rude awakening. MS doesn't want its games modded. I wouldn't be surpised if TES6 no longer has mods and is a Microsoft store app.
You can buy EA Play on Steam and use it straight from Steam without the EA launcher, I guess GP would work the same way.

You really think MS will put Forza Horizon on Steam and then not put Elder Scrolls? Maybe there’ll be a temporary exclusive on MS store but that’s it, TES is a long seller and will be on Steam in my opinion.

JLB

Banned
And who is this? MSFT has a history of running programs (retail stores) in the red simply because they can afford to do it. They don't care about losing money upfront with gamepass because they are sitting on wild amounts of cash and it doesn't matter if it isn't profitable YET

If MS is "sitting on wild amounts of cash" its basically because it knows how to run businesses, and not "running programs in the red simply because they can afford it".

They are pulling a Sony if true.

Sony sells the streaming rights to their shows/flims to the highest bidder. These streamers lose money trying to gain market share. Sony’s franchises get popular. When the market is established, Sony then pulls all their films and puts them into their small anime streaming service Funimation. Steam can use gamepass to destroy Epic’s attempt to steal market share. Then when they dont longer need Gamepass. They just make their own.

Sony and Valve dont have the ability to burn money for marketshare like Netflix and Xbox.

Juza

All Microsoft games on Steam can be downloaded and launched directly from Steam, only require a sign in Microsoft account If you haven't already logged in through the system.
Not like Ubishit or EA! no Launcher required, no shit! and that's expected to continue with GamePass if that happened.

If MS is "sitting on wild amounts of cash" its basically because it knows how to run businesses, and not "running programs in the red simply because they can afford it".
Yea, and part of that is running a segment in the red to take profit later because they can afford it?

hlm666

SteamVR on xbox, putting full steam on xbox seems a real long shot. Plug in a vive/index/g2/whatever pc hmd in your xbox series console load steamvr which is already setup to be controlled by the vr controllers and off to the races. Gamepass on steam seems like a minefield when looking at nvidias streaming thing and how publishers dismantled it, and we already get stuff not on pc gamepass from 3rd party publishers.

Spacefish

I suspect there may be more truth to this than people think. It's a very good fit and MS would open the purse wide. I don't agree about it being soon though, but I think this is going to happen eventually. I could see regulators looking very hard at this as quite a few companies would definitely oppose this.
Valve can see the inevitable collapse in the digital games market once services take over. If Netflix style consumption becomes the norm, steams future is as the distribution arm of other peoples services, in which case an acquisition by the premier game service isn't that hard to believe. They could possibly pivot to a third party service and also cover Sony's offering on PC but multiple services may not want the same distributor.

Sentenza

You need Origin to launch EA games on Steam

unknown.png
Only the old ones that got ported recently.
The new EA releases on Steam since EA came back just require an in-game login once and then run without any Origin client.
For instance neither Apex or SW Squadrons run the Origin client when played on Steam.

In the same way you can play all Microsoft releases on Steam just with a one-time login without having to go through the Windows Store/Xbox gameapp.
It's generally assumed that would be the same for Gamepass, otherwise it would hardly be something worth discussing. Having it on Steam would make it just a shortcut to the Windows Store.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

If that is the case then they can fuck themselves. Gamepass is the only win 10 app that is so bad that it forces you to boot into Linux to fix its garbage. I dumped that shit when it went above $1/month with no intention of ever rejoining.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s a lot of barking about Gamepass on it’s in a dog fight with PS + and Steam will go after that next.

If that is the case then they can fuck themselves. Gamepass is the only win 10 app that is so bad that it forces you to boot into Linux to fix its garbage. I dumped that shit when it went above $1/month with no intention of ever rejoining.

Interesting. I've never had a single issue with it since the service launched and currently about half the games I play are through Gamepass on PC. Have you tried unplugging your router then plugging it back in?

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Interesting. I've never had a single issue with it since the service launched and currently about half the games I play are through Gamepass on PC. Have you tried unplugging your router then plugging it back in?
Can't speak for that guy's issues but I've had them before too with the App. I've had to reinstall it once or twice to get games to install/run. Pain in the ass, haven't used it in a while though, but I did run into issue too.

Seems like a good deal for ms, but surly it would better for steam to invest in there own subscription service, seems daft not to.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Truth been told. Never had to reinstall win 10 and have had it installed since day one. I'm a PC Gamer so use it a lot as well.

The first os i never had problems with.

Consider yourself lucky.

I have 5 PCs running Windows 10 and every one of them has been broken by updating. Needing repair to boot, or a full reinstallation. At least once per year or two if I am lucky. A few years ago, two gaming machines went down with the same update at the same time, needing reinstallation. Getting the windows installation media to install on a flash drive I had around was a test of patience, because the official tool took forever and never worked properly unless you were to realize you needed to pull temp files out of a folder and finalize it manually before shutting down the wizard, which would only corrupt the media.

Windows 10 has been nothing but unstable shit in my opinion. I also used to be an agent for Microsoft's tech support for a few years, fixing this kind of crap for them, so it's not like I don't know how to handle the OS.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Consider yourself lucky.

I have 5 PCs running Windows 10 and every one of them has been broken by updating. Needing repair to boot, or a full reinstallation. At least once per year or two if I am lucky. A few years ago, two gaming machines went down with the same update at the same time, needing reinstallation. Getting the windows installation media to install on a flash drive I had around was a test of patience, because the official tool took forever and never worked properly unless you were to realize you needed to pull temp files out of a folder and finalize it manually before shutting down the wizard, which would only corrupt the media.

Windows 10 has been nothing but unstable shit in my opinion. I also used to be an agent for Microsoft's tech support for a few years, fixing this kind of crap for them, so it's not like I don't know how to handle the OS.
Weird. I have three gaming rigs and a laptop without any issues.

It sounds really weird that you have all these issues.

Chukhopops

Same here, I use Gamepass PC daily those days and it works completely fine (although it still lacks a lot of features that Steam has). People were saying it will break if you mess with the registry and/or Windows update, maybe that’s why?

Fucking yes please.

Its ridiculous how I cant access GP in my country without paying an exorbitant amount of money.

Steam would finally open up GP to a much wider market.

PhaseJump

Banned
Weird. I have three gaming rigs and a laptop without any issues.

It sounds really weird that you have all these issues.

Windows runs well enough on all the hardware, but the quality assurance is gone these days and the public is testing it.

In my opinion, the worst thing about the non-enterprise deployments of Windows 10 is all the crap like Cortana and the Xbox Game Bar. It's kind of baked in, it's kind of modular compared to the old bloated Windows, configuring half of it is a mess hidden behind different settings pages with the old and new UI. You need to disable these "features" when an update shows up to break things or toggle it back on, crap you don't use that kills performance without your knowledge. Then there is the constant indexing and reporting back to Microsoft. More stuff that needs to be disabled, configured, and disabled again if you're not paying attention.

I still find that whole process less absurd than disabling automatic updates altogether, and living with the world of bullshit and wasted time that it invites.

BigBooper

Ah, there it is. Win10 runs really well when you use it the way MS wants. I've seen a lot of problems from all these "make 10 like 7" mods.

geary

Imagine with 15 bucks per month that you can run gamepass games on PC/Xcloud + your Steam library aon Xcloud.

Gamezone

Gold Member
You can buy EA Play on Steam and use it straight from Steam without the EA launcher, I guess GP would work the same way.

You really think MS will put Forza Horizon on Steam and then not put Elder Scrolls? Maybe there’ll be a temporary exclusive on MS store but that’s it, TES is a long seller and will be on Steam in my opinion.

Xbox is a stronger brand than EA. How can it be Xbox Gamepass if it isn't tied to Xbox in any way?

Graciaus

If it worked like you owned the game on Steam (play time, achievements) temporarily I'd get it. My experience with the PC version of GP was filled with issues.

I'm not even sure quite how that would work 🤔

But also, Xbox is taking those sub $$$ and funneling it back into game dev and stuff... why split that $$$ 🤷‍♂️ it's not like it's hard for PC guys to get GamePass. Would it simply be a convenience thing, one launcher to rule them all?

Plantoid

E3 2021 lord gaben enters the stage and announces steamvr on Xbox and gamepass on steam ( all that to fuck epic)

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Xbox is a stronger brand than EA. How can it be Xbox Gamepass if it isn't tied to Xbox in any way?
Xbox Gamepass is the name of the service, and even today you can use it without an Xbox (cloud or PC). I kind of see your point that eventually the service will live on its own and be disconnected from Xbox as a hardware.
I'm not even sure quite how that would work 🤔

But also, Xbox is taking those sub $$$ and funneling it back into game dev and stuff... why split that $$$ 🤷‍♂️ it's not like it's hard for PC guys to get GamePass. Would it simply be a convenience thing, one launcher to rule them all?
I think the visibility it would bring to GP, plus the convenience of launching from the Steam client would mean plenty more subs. Steam had 120 million monthly active users last year, a lot more than GP.

Top Bottom