• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve wants Game Pass on Steam

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The interesting part is that it's Valve asking for it

steam-user-reviews-change-news-banner.jpg

Tyler McVicker (Valve News Network) as just dropped this @31.08

Is Valve considering a subscription service like GamePass on Steam ?
Response: Valve is trying to get GamePass on Steam.

Skifi28

After the horrible experience that was gamepass on the windows store, this seems like the obvious answer. Getting it on steam could really turn the tides for many PC gamers. But they'd have to work out a pretty sweet deal. All the costs gamepass has plus 30% from steam just wouldn't work.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

It would make me use it definitely, because the only reason I don't right now is because I'm on PC and the Windows Store killed my father, is terrible imo.

I'm not so sure MS want this though, they seem to be trying to create their own curated store, they want to tightly control things and not allow modding in both senses of the word. Their push for controlling games output as they run without knowing about it with WDM seems very consoley, I hate it.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

not my father but it definitely killed my sanity once

My experience with Game Pass on PC was the buttons for installing/adding/starting games not working or giving me alpha-numerical error codes that no one knew what they meant when I searched for them. Still to this day Windows just keeps telling me there is a problem with my MS account and I need to re-enter my password but I've done it 10x so I just ignore the message now.

BigBooper

I don't think they mean MS Gamepass. If they do, I cannot imagine the licensing complications for all involved to allow MS to rent out games that Valve distributes.

I'm gonna type out my thoughts on this.

If they could though, why would MS want to give up mindshare from it's XBOX Windows store to give it to Steam?
----------Because Steam already has a huge catalog of games that aren't on MS' store they could work into such a service.
But they would all have to sign new distribution contracts anyways to be included in a service sold by MS.
-----------Yes, but Steam has a good reputation with PC gamers while XBOX Windows does not.
But they would still be buying the subscription through MS.

So, if Steam develops it's own subscription service like Gamepass, but not Gamepass, how will that go?
------------Poorly implemented, poorly managed, and abandoned in a few years. Much like the Steam Controller, Steam Streaming, SteamOS, etc.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I want my Steam library on Xbox. Exploit free.

OnT: Game Pass sure is getting more and more interesting.

Guilty_AI

My experience with Game Pass on PC was the buttons for installing/adding/starting games not working or giving me alpha-numerical error codes that no one knew what they meant when I searched for them.
Not with gamepass, but i remember buying forza horizon 3 and during the 50gb or so download it would just randomly fail and START OVER FROM THE BEGINNING. Happened 3 or 4 times before i managed to download the game.

Still to this day Windows just keeps telling me there is a problem with my MS account and I need to re-enter my password but I've done it 10x so I just ignore the message now.
This is actually happening with me too.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It would make me use it definitely, because the only reason I don't right now is because I'm on PC and the Windows Store killed my father, is terrible imo.

I'm not so sure MS want this though, they seem to be trying to create their own curated store, they want to tightly control things and not allow modding in both senses of the word. Their push for controlling games output as they run without knowing about it with WDM seems very consoley, I hate it.
It really says something, when a software company that has made operative systems since the time of dawn, can't figure out how to make a proper digital store.

Sentenza

Game pass on Steam was already rumored to be a work in progress since January.
A Metacouncil “leak” I posted few weeks ago already listed it.

Also, the assumption is that this version would probably include just MS first party offering and little else, but this is just speculation so far.

Last edited:
I'm open for it. Can't see how this can be a bad thing. More venues for people to get in on it. It's not a forced thing, and you can opt out or cancel at any time.

Truth been told. Never had to reinstall win 10 and have had it installed since day one. I'm a PC Gamer so use it a lot as well.

The first os i never had problems with.
Anti-PC-Vaxers and their shenanigans. I wouldn't even respond to his nonsense. I went from AMD to Intel, and back to Intel, and never had to reinstall windows or configure anything.

Gamepass is available in like 40 countries. I wish I could subscribe. Maybe if it comes to Steam it will finally be available worldwide.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Brad Sams over at Windows Central also mentioned this a while ago.

But Microsoft is making an enormous amount of money from people actually buying their games on Steam. Halo, Forza and Sea of Thieves sold like crazy. And who's gonna subscribe to Gamepass trough Microsoft if they make it avaliable on Steam? I will gladly pay 30% more to have it on Steam if that is any solution.

Last edited:

Hestar69

Would be huge W for Xbox and game pass. People love steam and I know some friends wont even install epic store to get free games "because its not steam" and just buy the game on steam.

nerdface

Banned
Laggy games you don’t even own digitally. Gamers get duped into losing value once again.

MS2002: “Look at this pretty headset, don’t you want to pay for internet twice?”

MS2020: “Come play everything, who cares if you own nothing?”

Gamers think it’s a feature ffs.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I mean.

Obviously Valve wants Gamepass on Steam.

The question is whether Microsoft wants Gamepass on Steam.
I honestly don't see why not. it's not like MS wants people to be in their store only. they already have their games on steam. releasing game pass on steam doesn't counter what MS trying to do with the game pass.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Would be nice, prob not going to continue my sub on pc once it runs out but if I could use steam instead I might keep it.

Andodalf

Banned
Laggy games you don’t even own digitally. Gamers get duped into losing value once again.

MS2002: “Look at this pretty headset, don’t you want to pay for internet twice?”

I know, I was so pissed off when i finished prey, and then logged onto neogaf and was told that all my enjoyment of the game was fake and that I had to return it! So brutal that i no longer have any memories of that game :(

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

You're thinking of PS Now where some console games, and all PC games are streamed.

Console and PC Gamepass are downloads.

Sentenza

What the hell are you even going on about?
And what would make them “laggy games”’ anyway?

Brofist

Mmhmm you know what you’re talking about sure

Plantoid

Isn't this supposed to go on the gamepass megathread? Who can tell if it's news enough to warrant its own thread?

On topic, that's great news, gamepass master plan depends on the xcloud, so it can come preinstalled on any smart tv, I think that with the 5g being the norm, we will start to see much better performance on the service

nerdface

Banned
What the hell are you even going on about?
And what would make them “laggy games”’ anyway?

dude, maybe if they took your money and used it for dedicated servers, but you pay to host your own games on machines with low end cpus and bad internet

Xbox live always sucked, maybe they do dedicated next gen servers now, but I doubt it.

Top Bottom